• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Joker Trailer!

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Looks cool...kinda hoping Joker doesn't become a pay2win like the dlc for Smash 4did though. I know it's too early, but they had to patch them last time. It is looking nice though!

Arthur97

Smash Master
The third party bias continues with him getting a unique victory screen. Come on.

All in all, kind of meh. As long as he's not broken hopefully I can get through the onslaught of Jokers online.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
That's what I'm hoping. (About not being broken) But all the stuff they mentioned he can do invincibility/low damage guard and the such seem like it's going to be too easy to exploit and abuse.

I might skip quickplay and online in general for a while. I remember Cloud and Bayoentta's introduction all too well. Literally everyone was using them. And yeah they really went all out for his victory screen. A little too much, if you ask me.

I'm more excited for building stages.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I've never played Persona, so I'm not really sure where I stand with my excitement.

Still, he looks cool enough. Looks like he'll be a mix between a swordfighter and a gunner, which is pretty unique. As far as how good he'll be, I'll have to see more of him. From my initial impression though, I doubt he'll be ridiculously OP.

Arthur97

Smash Master
That's what I'm hoping. (About not being broken) But all the stuff they mentioned he can do invincibility/low damage guard and the such seem like it's going to be too easy to exploit and abuse.

I might skip quickplay and online in general for a while. I remember Cloud and Bayoentta's introduction all too well. Literally everyone was using them. And yeah they really went all out for his victory screen. A little too much, if you ask me.

I'm more excited for building stages.
I may do some Joker free arenas (not like I'm buying him).

As for stage builder, eh, looks like it has potential, but I don't like the drawing bit.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The third party bias continues with him getting a unique victory screen. Come on.
Moral of the story: never do something nice for anybody, because someone is going to take it as an insult.

In all seriousness, this is why a creator needs to learn to not give two ****s about what other people think of their work sometimes. No matter what you do or what your intentions were, some snowflake in the far corners of the internet is going to take umbrage for your work.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Never played Persona, yet I’m hyped. Can’t wait for the 4 other characters. My fingers are personally crossed for Steve and Doom Slayer as they’d be total wild cards in a similar vein to Joker.

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
I might skip quickplay and online in general for a while. I remember Cloud and Bayoentta's introduction all too well. Literally everyone was using them.
This is like thy best time to learn the MU when new characters come out. How many PPs do you see now? What does a good Joker or bad Joker look like?

I usually love when new characters come out

Augi

Smash Cadet
He looks strong for sure. the sheer amount of utility he has is scary. Sword + Range Attack (that can also dodge?), Damage Reduction/Omni-Counter, can grapple people towards him, fast movement...

He's looking high tier minimum just from what he has access to on paper. The key factor on him will be killing power and damage numbers.

If Joker's damage is minor and he struggles to kill until he unleashes Arsene, then that may balance him out... but if he can stand on his own without Arsene... Oof, he's gonna wreck a lot of people...

Arthur97

Smash Master
bruh we don't even know his pros and cons yet

The entire game and roster has been incredibly balanced so far and will be tweaked with further patches. Don't be salty. It's a bad look.
4 was balanced too. Now, don't get me wrong. He probably won't be that bad since he's the first in the pass, but I have low expectations for this DLC's balance after 4.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure we're all hoping for good balances between all fighters. But Bayonetta, Cloud, and Corrin really brought the pay2win. Even after their nerf patches they were still a nuisance to deal with online.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ryu was probably better than the Corrins. But, hey, they nerfed those so now we can have a new wave of busted fighters.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I never really touched Ryu all that much, but you had to remember the control stick input to give him the edge. I could only ever get the red fire blast to work. Everything else was always luck on my part lol.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Input Shoryuken was ridiculous in 4, but we're getting off topic. Will Joker be broken? Maybe, but probably not. At least not to the point of mostly Joker showing up everywhere. That does not mean the rest won't be though.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
I'm pretty hyped for Joker, even though I've never played Persona. I generally like characters who have good movement speed, frame data, and disjoints. If he has grab confirms, then he might take Dark Pit's place as my main, but it's too soon to tell until I've actually played him a bit.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ryu was probably better than the Corrins. But, hey, they nerfed those so now we can have a new wave of busted fighters.
There is no evidence of this dude, calm down. Smash 4's DLC came at the tail end of a dying system so they didn't do as many nerfs and balance updates as they needed to. The Switch and Ultimate are clearly alive and kicking and have already received major updates. No need to be a doomsayer.

Arthur97

Smash Master
There is no evidence of this dude, calm down. Smash 4's DLC came at the tail end of a dying system so they didn't do as many nerfs and balance updates as they needed to. The Switch and Ultimate are clearly alive and kicking and have already received major updates. No need to be a doomsayer.
I mean, there's no reason they should release like that at all.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I mean, there's no reason they should release like that at all.
Until something is out in the wild you can't always foresee things like the Bayo combos and then she was promptly treated with a balance patch and when Ultimate rolled around in general tweaked and refined to make her more in line with the rest of the roster.

The rest of the DLC was fine. I'm getting so sick of people crying "broken" immediately when there's been literally no time in the lab with these characters.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Until something is out in the wild you can't always foresee things like the Bayo combos and then she was promptly treated with a balance patch and when Ultimate rolled around in general tweaked and refined to make her more in line with the rest of the roster.

The rest of the DLC was fine. I'm getting so sick of people crying "broken" immediately when there's been literally no time in the lab with these characters.
The base fighters didn't have that issue. Also, Cloud was not what I'd call fine.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The base fighters didn't have that issue. Also, Cloud was not what I'd call fine.
Nah he was fine after the usual tweaks. People just had to learn him and learn how to counter him. Also the base fighters had plenty of balance tweaks with patches and glitch/exploit fixes. You're tripping.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Now all I need is Black Shadow and my Batman/Smash movie will be complete.

Top Bottom