• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
A stage will definitely be in the Metaverse. Probably one of the palaces like the 6th.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
When I first saw this thread a couple weeks ago I rolled my eyes, persona 5 isn’t even on switch I thought, as much as I love that game and is one of my favorite games of all time. But the more I thought about it, the more I rationalized it. ATLUS should have a rep, normally I would think Jack Frost, but it’s not like a chocobo got into smash to represent final fantasy. Cloud did, a popular character known to be on PlayStation. Why can’t Joker do the same?

I’m all in
If we get a trailer and persona music starts playing i’ll cry

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I think that if Atlus were to throw in a rep into Smash, it would most likely be Joker from P5 due to it's popularity and success. To have a Persona character in Smash would be amazing and freaking crazy for sure. It would definitely bring out tons of hype so count me in for supporting this.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Imagine if we get word of a P5 port at E3... I will be a happy camper.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Hi everyone! I fairly recently picked up Persona 5 (roughly a month ago) and it has easily become my favorite game of all time, aside from Smash. I regularly post in the general speculation thread, but I'm going to bring some of my reasoning for why Joker is possible to this thread, and I think people may be sleeping on him.

1. Atlus has been a long-time supporter of Nintendo consoles. Atlus has been publishing games on Nintendo consoles since as early as 1987.

2. Atlus was granted the ability to do a crossover with a Nintendo IP with Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, an honor many companies have not been allowed.

3. Sakurai played Persona 5 as of 2016, which is when the roster would've been decided, and he gave the game heavy praise in basically all respects.
(https://personacentral.com/super-smash-bros-series-creator-discusses-persona-5s-ui/)

4. "Why would they not use a Shin Megami Tensei character since those games are released on Nintendo consoles?" This is an interesting question, as it would refer to a mutual benefit in the sales of both Nintendo and Atlus games. With the release of Q2 coming, though, that is no longer an issue. Also, see Cloud. He doesn't have any notable appearances on Nintendo consoles, but he was the character they went with. If Atlus is approached about getting a character, they're going to choose the focus of their marketing. Right now, that would be Joker and Persona 5.

5. Atlus advertises the crap out of Persona 5, even now that it's been a year and a half since the games Japanese release.

6. Who is competing with the possibility of Joker? Many people agree that there aren't many shoo-in characters for Smash Switch. So this is a perfect opportunity for Joker to sneak in. He struggles by having the third-party tag, but based on circumstances like TMS#FE, its obvious that Nintendo and Atlus have a positive, working relationship.

7. Perhaps not overly important, but the game has been critically acclaimed, some even saying it "sets the bar for JRPGs going forward".

I think Joker is a third-party character who should NOT be slept on for Smash Switch. I do believe he's still what would be considered a "long-shot", but aren't most third parties before confirmation? Nobody imagined Snake, Ryu, Cloud, or Bayo would be in the game, but look where we are now. Don't think your hope is misplaced if you're a supporter of the Phantom Thief.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You can officially add me to the supporter list! I'm not sure about his chances but persona 5 is my favorite video game of all time and Joker would be the most hype inducing character Nintendo could announce for me. Do people think he has a shot? I don't know how likely he is but I fully support him 100%

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone! I fairly recently picked up Persona 5 (roughly a month ago) and it has easily become my favorite game of all time, aside from Smash. I regularly post in the general speculation thread, but I'm going to bring some of my reasoning for why Joker is possible to this thread, and I think people may be sleeping on him.

1. Atlus has been a long-time supporter of Nintendo consoles. Atlus has been publishing games on Nintendo consoles since as early as 1987.

2. Atlus was granted the ability to do a crossover with a Nintendo IP with Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, an honor many companies have not been allowed.

3. Sakurai played Persona 5 as of 2016, which is when the roster would've been decided, and he gave the game heavy praise in basically all respects.
(https://personacentral.com/super-smash-bros-series-creator-discusses-persona-5s-ui/)

4. "Why would they not use a Shin Megami Tensei character since those games are released on Nintendo consoles?" This is an interesting question, as it would refer to a mutual benefit in the sales of both Nintendo and Atlus games. With the release of Q2 coming, though, that is no longer an issue. Also, see Cloud. He doesn't have any notable appearances on Nintendo consoles, but he was the character they went with. If Atlus is approached about getting a character, they're going to choose the focus of their marketing. Right now, that would be Joker and Persona 5.

5. Atlus advertises the crap out of Persona 5, even now that it's been a year and a half since the games Japanese release.

6. Who is competing with the possibility of Joker? Many people agree that there aren't many shoo-in characters for Smash Switch. So this is a perfect opportunity for Joker to sneak in. He struggles by having the third-party tag, but based on circumstances like TMS#FE, its obvious that Nintendo and Atlus have a positive, working relationship.

7. Perhaps not overly important, but the game has been critically acclaimed, some even saying it "sets the bar for JRPGs going forward".

I think Joker is a third-party character who should NOT be slept on for Smash Switch. I do believe he's still what would be considered a "long-shot", but aren't most third parties before confirmation? Nobody imagined Snake, Ryu, Cloud, or Bayo would be in the game, but look where we are now. Don't think your hope is misplaced if you're a supporter of the Phantom Thief.
I agree with this actually. I believe that Joker is one of the third party characters who actually has a good chance of making it in Smash. Although I don't see him in the base roster, he seems more likely as a DLC character in a similar vein to Cloud. I think we might get a second Namco (Lloyd perhaps due to ballot results) and SE (hopefully Sora, but maybe it'll be Geno) characters as well.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I agree with this actually. I believe that Joker is one of the third party characters who actually has a good chance of making it in Smash. Although I don't see him in the base roster, he seems more likely as a DLC character in a similar vein to Cloud. I think we might get a second Namco (Lloyd perhaps due to ballot results) and SE (hopefully Sora, but maybe it'll be Geno) characters as well.
If we do get a second Bamco character, it's a lock to be Heicachi, especially with Sakurai starting work on him for Smash 4 before dropping him

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
I will love to see Joker in smash and Atlus got allot Nintendo exclusive games on 3DS still doesn't help Joker chance even know if Persona 5 get switch who knows when maybe E3 oh boy. I just want Joker in smash 5 we need Persona 5 music and smash remix will be sick.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm thinking more and more that Joker could end up being in this game. The thing we have to consider is that there are practically infinite 3rd party characters that have a chance now that cloud is in, so there has to be something to give any given 3rd party character a leg up. I think an atlus rep has a leg up big time because of Tokyo mirage sessions. How many other companies have been given the rights to Nintendo Ips for a cross over? As far as I know just Ubisoft for Mario and rabbids. I don't think it is especially likely, but I could see Rayman and joker having a leg up because of the crossovers. Just an idea.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm thinking more and more that Joker could end up being in this game. The thing we have to consider is that there are practically infinite 3rd party characters that have a chance now that cloud is in, so there has to be something to give any given 3rd party character a leg up. I think an atlus rep has a leg up big time because of Tokyo mirage sessions. How many other companies have been given the rights to Nintendo Ips for a cross over? As far as I know just Ubisoft for Mario and rabbids. I don't think it is especially likely, but I could see Rayman and joker having a leg up because of the crossovers. Just an idea.
There is also Koei Tecmo with the Warriors franchise, but KT doesn't really have their own character to consider unless you count Linkle and Lana as options, but even then they're from a LoZ game, it's just not canon. I think the reason I am willing to put faith in the real possibility of Joker is that, not only has this game been a major hit, but Sakurai had played it around its JP release, which also happens to line up with when the roster would've been decided. I'm excited to see what happens going forward.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There is also Koei Tecmo with the Warriors franchise, but KT doesn't really have their own character to consider unless you count Linkle and Lana as options, but even then they're from a LoZ game, it's just not canon. I think the reason I am willing to put faith in the real possibility of Joker is that, not only has this game been a major hit, but Sakurai had played it around its JP release, which also happens to line up with when the roster would've been decided. I'm excited to see what happens going forward.
If he does get in, I really hope palutena's guidance is replaced by phantom thieves dialogue. It's got to be different characters in each game or it feels recycled. I would lose my mind to see the others show up to discuss joker's opponents.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If he does get in, I really hope palutena's guidance is replaced by phantom thieves dialogue. It's got to be different characters in each game or it feels recycled. I would lose my mind to see the others show up to discuss joker's opponents.
Yeah, I've often had that thought. It wouldn't be the first time a third party had this either, with Snake's codecs in Brawl. However this could bring along a much larger cost with all the voice actors they'd need to hire. However adding the Phantom Thieves dialogue along with playable Joker and a stage (Mementos or something) is far-and-away the dream.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
While Joker's a cool character, I would much rather prefer an SMT character first.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
While Joker's a cool character, I would much rather prefer an SMT character first.
Sorry to be this guy/potentially come off as aggressive, but you're in the wrong thread, then. This is the Joker support thread. :p Perhaps there is a support thread for a SMT character somewhere. If not, you could even create one. That could be fun.

Anyways, SMT and Persona fall under the same Megami Tensei umbrella/franchise. Suggesting one is better than the other is purely personal bias.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
If Atlus is gonna get a third party character, I feel like it’s either gonna be Joker or a SMT character.

The thing is the Persona series is mostly exlusive to the PlayStation while Shin Megami Tensai? is mostly exclusive to Nintendo platforms. However, SMT doesn’t really have the power Persona have, so I feel it’s most likely gonna be Joker. So I support.

Imagine the hype people would get when they see that a Persona character is in a Nintendo All Star game.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If Atlus is gonna get a third party character, I feel like it’s either gonna be Joker or a SMT character.

The thing is the Persona series is mostly exlusive to the PlayStation while Shin Megami Tensai? is mostly exclusive to Nintendo platforms. However, SMT doesn’t really have the power Persona have, so I feel it’s most likely gonna be Joker. So I support.

Imagine the hype people would get when they see that a Persona character is in a Nintendo All Star game.
My thought has been that if Atlus doesn't go with Joker, they'll probably meet somewhere in the middle with Jack Frost. As you said SMT doesn't have the power Persona has, especially after P5. And also keep in mind Persona Q and Q2 are Nintendo exclusives, and Q2 is going to have Joker in it and will be coming out around the same time as Smash. Could be good advertising for both.

Last edited:

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone! Real quick I'd just like to bring to everyone's attention that most of the pictures used in threads and signatures no longer appear, likely due to recent updates, so we'll all have to renew our signatures and what not, and I'll have to get in touch with Robert about getting a picture back in this thread.

And hey, as I'm sure you all know, E3 is coming up! Anyone think our devious trickster will be making any grand appearances? Smash or otherwise?

If they revealed Joker at E3, my head would probably explode, but I wouldn't think it's very likely. I do think it's possible we'll be getting some other Persona related news though , perhaps we'll finally get a look at Persona Q2, or a localization for the Dancing games.

If not at E3, hopefully Joker will be getting in Smash eventually!

Behind the Smash.png

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
And hey, as I'm sure you all know, E3 is coming up! Anyone think our devious trickster will be making any grand appearances? Smash or otherwise?

If they revealed Joker at E3, my head would probably explode, but I wouldn't think it's very likely. I do think it's possible we'll be getting some other Persona related news though , perhaps we'll finally get a look at Persona Q2, or a localization for the Dancing games.

I'm ready to record my live reactions to Nintendo's E3/the Smash invitational solely for the 0.1% chance that "Joker steals the show."

I'll probably scream louder than Etika when he reacted to Mewtwo (and probably cause an atomic super nova if Futaba is an assist trophy).

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Well, there was that Atlus survey a while back where they asked for people's thoughts on things, like if you wanted remakes, what platforms you wanted games - including Persona - on, and etc., and the Switch was one of the options available. So maybe if Persona 5 (or one of the hypothetical remakes of the other entries they asked about) gets a Switch port announced, Joker could get announced for Smash following that!

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Unfortunately, P5 will likely never be ported to the Switch. (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/persona_5_will_not_be_coming_to_the_switch)

However there are two things working in Joker's favor regardless of the fact that P5 won't be on a Nintendo console.

1. Persona Q2 on 3DS
2. Cloud is in Smash although he never made more than small cameos on Nintendo consoles.

I personally think Joker could be a very likely DLC character. For whatever reason, P5 seems to keep getting more popular the longer it's out rather than starting strong and dying out, especially outside of Japan. If they do another character ballot, I could see Joker doing VERY well.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, P5 will likely never be ported to the Switch. (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/persona_5_will_not_be_coming_to_the_switch)

However there are two things working in Joker's favor regardless of the fact that P5 won't be on a Nintendo console.

1. Persona Q2 on 3DS
2. Cloud is in Smash although he never made more than small cameos on Nintendo consoles.

I personally think Joker could be a very likely DLC character. For whatever reason, P5 seems to keep getting more popular the longer it's out rather than starting strong and dying out, especially outside of Japan. If they do another character ballot, I could see Joker doing VERY well.
Though that definitely doesn't seem favorable for P5's chances on Switch, it's also worth noting that tweet was made in January LAST year, the article even goes on to reference Project Sonic 2017, which we now know to be Sonic Forces. That tweet was made before P5 even had it's worldwide release, and obviously since then both Persona 5 and the Switch have risen in popularity immensely.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman

1. Persona Q2 on 3DS

I knew those points already, but as Velvet Rebirth Velvet Rebirth says, it was from some time ago, and company's plans can change. In addition to that, the Atlus survey I mentioned happened in January of THIS year - here's a link that talks about it a bit.

I'm definitely not saying it's super likely, but I don't think it's impossible - why would they ask if they have absolutely no intention of listening? I also agree that Joker's got a pretty good shot even if it doesn't happen, I just think that it's possible, and that announcement would be a good time to announced Joker for Smash too. :)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well as the article points out, the survey seems to be more in reference to Persona 6 and other games going forward. With the extreme popularity of the Switch, though, I could see Atlus changing their mind unless they have a deal with Sony to keep Persona 5 exclusive to Playstation. Also, there is this quote from the article:

"Naturally, you shouldn’t be jumping to any conclusions based on this survey. Atlus has sent out surveys like this in the past and the choices aren’t necessarily indicative of Atlus’ actual plans. Persona 6 on Switch is sure to be a popular choice, but that doesn’t mean it’s actually going to happen. For now, Persona fans can look forward to Persona Q2 on 3DS. "

I don't know their plans, but I imagine we can just expect to see Persona 6 on the Switch.

osby

Smash Obsessed
P3 always will be my favourite but every Persona character is great and I would't oppose to Joker in Smash a bit.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Hello everyone! Real quick I'd just like to bring to everyone's attention that most of the pictures used in threads and signatures no longer appear, likely due to recent updates, so we'll all have to renew our signatures and what not, and I'll have to get in touch with Robert about getting a picture back in this thread.

View attachment 146855
and yet you never contacted me on discord. For shame.

I'll fix it, give me a minute

1. Persona Q2 on 3DS

It's worth mentioning the quote is hella outdated, and from a pretty low ranking Atlus employee

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It's worth mentioning the quote is hella outdated, and from a pretty low ranking Atlus employee
In the grand scheme of Atlus/Sega, perhaps he isn't high ranking. But he is the PR manager for Atlus of America, so he was passing on the statement he was told to pass on. I certainly believe gaming companies and higher ups have changes of heart from public demand, but they don't always. America still doesn't have Mother 3, after all :p I would love a Switch port of the game but if their PR manager is saying it isn't happening, I'm going to take that as it isn't happening.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
One thing I love in Smash Ultimate is that right before their final smashes, the characters have a cut-in of their face, which definitely reminds me of Fire Emblem, or of course, Persona.

If Joker was in Smash, he should be unique in that right before his final smash (All Out Attack) his cut-in takes up the entire screen, replicating his cut-in in Persona 5, except instead of being a direct copy, it uses one solid color and Joker's Smash art to match up with everyone else.

Black Link521

Smash Cadet
Hello, I just joined after enjoying reading through this thread, so this is my first time doing something like this. I've been a supporter of Joker joining the Smash roster ever since I got the game for my birthday this year, I beat the game last month and I loved it. Definitely a game I hold in my heart and I'm happy this thread exist. Let's hope we see our beloved Trickster lookin' cool in Smash Ultimate!

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth for my 3DS. I support!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So some news came out in the latest Famitsu article that Sakurai was interviewed for. For those of you who don't know, Sakurai is regularly featured in a Famitsu column where he talks about anything from game development to games he's played. That's how we found out Sakurai was quite fond of Person 5, even.

Anyways, the news in question is a rather negative piece of knowledge for supporters of Joker. In the latest interview, Sakurai said the project plan for Smash Ultimate was finished all the way back in 2015. At first, that probably doesn't sound like too big a deal. However, Sakurai tries to stick to his project plan as strictly as possible to ensure a smooth development. The only time they strayed from the project plan that I'm aware of was with Sonic back in Brawl, and that added an entire extra year to the development process for the game as they added a few smaller things alongside Sonic. So the real kicker here is that Persona 5 didn't come out in Japan until 2016, or the US until 2017.

So as far as the base roster of Smash Ultimate goes, Joker's chances are quite literally non-existent. The only people who would've really known much about him would've been Atlus employees. There's just no realistic way for him to make the base roster.

With that knowledge, our best hope lies in DLC. That is not a bad thing, though. If we all recall, the Smash 4 DLC characters had a lot of extra love put into them, with unique sound effects, highly detailed models, and even some crazier things like Street Fighter inputs. If Joker was a DLC character, he'd certainly get a ton of extra love.

If they announce another ballot like they did for Smash 4 (which likely had a massive impact on Smash Ultimate development), we can push to vote Joker in. Persona 5 has been wildly popular compared to all Megami Tensei series predecessors, and I think there could be a strong push to get him as DLC given an opportunity to vote for him. I can't imagine he's less popular than Bayonetta, who got in due to the ballot.

TL;DR, Joker isn't getting in the game before December 7th. It's just not possible. But what is possible is a major push for DLC bc he's a damn sexy character that people really like and he could get voted in just like Bayonetta did.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
TL;DR, Joker isn't getting in the game before December 7th. It's just not possible. But what is possible is a major push for DLC bc he's a damn sexy character that people really like and he could get voted in just like Bayonetta did.
Well that is a bit disappointing that he won't be in the base game, but, I have a feeling Persona 5's popularity is only gonna keep growing with time, what with all the spinoffs that are and will probably be coming out in the future. Maybe he'll even become the next big shoe in character once the ballot comes around!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You can add me to the supporters list. Persona is one of my favorite gaming franchises and I would love to see it get a character in Smash. Joker is probably the most interesting protagonist aesthetically. I imagine him playing similar to Yuna in Dissidia where he summons different personas for his attacks.

The other protagonist I could see making sense is Aigis from Persona 3. While she wasn't the main character of that game, she was the lead in the side story. The only issue I see with her is that she is competing with Kos-Mos and Fiora for a mech girl character.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Did I lay my support already?

If not, sign me up! I haven’t actually played Persona 5 (I don’t have a PS4 :’() but Joker looks cool as hell.

I would definitely want him in Smash.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Persona 5 is one of my favorite games on the PS4, so what the hey, I'd love to see Joker in as a playable character.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
other protagonist I could see making sense is Aigis from Persona 3. While she wasn't the main character of that game, she was the lead in the side story. The only issue I see with her is that she is competing with Kos-Mos and Fiora for a mech girl character.
I was thinking Aigis would work best if they were looking for a Persona character with prominence. From my recollection, she's appeared in pretty much every spin off aside from P4 Dancing All Night, and furthermore she has the most lastibility of all the Persona characters, since unlike the other characters she's never going to age.

Though, I'm still more impartial to Joker myself, and I'd imagine he'll probably get in over Aigis since Persona 5 is the hot new thing with plenty of spin offs on the way I'm sure.

Another Atlus character worth noting would be Jack Frost, since he's Atlus' mascot and has the most prominence of... well any SMT character, but, that's a whole nother' discussion, though I personally think he'd make a good assist trophy.

Top Bottom