• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, uh, that is a lot of changes.

Like, sure, I expected an expanded version of the game, but remixing the original dungeons to make it different for people? New sprites for the Phantom Thieves in the metaverse? Quality of life improvements within a game that was already amazingly smooth to play? Pretty darn impressive.

Caroline/Justine have actual hang-outs now, which is neat I guess. I like the product placement poolhouse too. The notion of a third semester is inherently suspicious to me, given the first game's ending, but I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

Kasumi looks awesome, though I think Joker should have a chat with her as she seems to have stolen his coat and gloves. Granted, she definitely has some connection to Joker, as apparently she transfers into the school on the same day as him as well, which sounds important. I'm interested in seeing why she's a thief at all, given how she doesn't approve of their actions.

The Counselor confidant sounds amazing in premise - I just really hope that they don't make him evil, as I'd like more depictions of counseling/therapy as something helpful and the "person who is supposed to help you is evil" trick is pulled enough times in P5 as-is.

Overall, I'm pretty excited to see how this game unfolds. Hopefully we can all stay safe and spoiler-free once it releases in Japan in October...
There's supposed to be more info on royal in 2 weeks, on may 9th. So we should get more then, but other than that i wouldnt mind knowing her backstory a little. I wonder if she is related to him.

amageish

Smash Master
There's supposed to be more info on royal in 2 weeks, on may 9th. So we should get more then, but other than that i wouldnt mind knowing her backstory a little. I wonder if she is related to him.
I doubt she's, like, blood-related to him (we have her last name and it is not Amamiya), but she's definitely symbolically tied to him. I mean, she transfers to the school and is welcomed with open arms as an award-winning gymnist, while Ren transfers to the school and everyone already hates him. I'm guessing they're playing a bit of a "two sides of the same coin" game with them, at least at the beginning. .

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I wonder what Kasumi's Phantom Thief codename and her Persona will be?

My take:
Codename: Thorn (Because of the rose badge on her costume)
Persona: Boudica, an old British folk hero who led an attack against the Romans.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So I wonder what Kasumi's Phantom Thief codename and her Persona will be?

My take:
Codename: Thorn (Because of the rose badge on her costume)
Persona: Boudica, an old British folk hero who led an attack against the Romans.
Oh that would be AMAZING. I'd love Boudica as a Persona.

amageish

Smash Master
And now people online are back to calling Joker a "wasted slot" just cause this isn't on the Switch.

Such as this tweet chain: https://twitter.com/GoldLiger0X/status/1121049620287823875

Breaking News: Smash fan upset at roster.

Yeah, people were going to be upset at Joker. If the DLC was Banjo, Isaac, Waluigi, Master Chef, and a Pokemon-Trainer-esque transforming character named "Square Enix" that includes literally every Square Enix character anyone has ever suggested be in Smash, then people would still find room to complain. No sense in letting them affect your hype.

I mean, the person you're citing is also calling Bayonetta a waste of a slot and Bayonetta 2/3 are Nintendo exclusives published by Nintendo, so I don't think their logic is fully sound...

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
People that honestly think Joker or Bayonetta (which I even don't like personally) don't deserve to be in the roster are straight up stupid. If you look at the sales and the overall popularity of those 2, they totally deserve to be in hands down.
Did anyone of you knew Pit or ICs before they got into smash? I don't think the majority did including me. So coming up with the deserves to be in BS is a total waste of time. Each character from major titles have a certain fanbase that's just common sense.

Imo they even deserve it more than say Lucas since Mother is totally irrelevant nowadays but that's getting kinda off topic.

I would just ignore opinions like that since amageish amageish already mentioned it: People will ALWAYS complain, it doesn't matter what's getting added to the roster.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Haven't posted here since Joker came out, but I've been having a lot of fun with him like everyone here seems to be! :) I'm loving all the little details too, like how he swings the Home-Run Bat the same way he swings in the batting cages in P5. He's a lot of fun!

Royal is looking awesome, too! I'm getting the impression that the game is going to be substantially different from the original, and I'm excited for it! I'm glad that Kasumi gets introduced early on - when I first heard she was a party member, I was worried that she might get introduced late in the game. Happy to see that's not the case! I'm really curious to see how the new semester is going to go.

Looking forward to P5S tomorrow, too! :)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Haven't posted here since Joker came out, but I've been having a lot of fun with him like everyone here seems to be! :) I'm loving all the little details too, like how he swings the Home-Run Bat the same way he swings in the batting cages in P5. He's a lot of fun!

Royal is looking awesome, too! I'm getting the impression that the game is going to be substantially different from the original, and I'm excited for it! I'm glad that Kasumi gets introduced early on - when I first heard she was a party member, I was worried that she might get introduced late in the game. Happy to see that's not the case! I'm really curious to see how the new semester is going to go.

Looking forward to P5S tomorrow, too! :)
Some people think that she might not become a phantom thief until much later in the game, but those are just guesses based on the footage they showed.
She does show up much earlier in the story in any case. And of course, hopefully becomes a member early enough too (at least that's my preference)

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
I cannot unsee this anymore

I thought the original trio (Akiren, Ryuji, and Ann) were reminiscent of the Justice Cabal from Awakening, but this is even better LOL

KatKit

Smash Lord
Slim chance, but maybe they'll go the Astral Chain route with Kasumi. By that, I mean that they let us choose who we use in-game (and the plot focuses on their point of view), but the other character is still relevant to the gameplay/story.

I need to catch up on whatever news was revealed today, but what I've read so far seems cool. I can't wait for P5R.

EDIT: What does Joker's grappling hook do, btw? Is it an attack, or is it used for dungeon exploration? Both? Something else?

EDIT 2: Human Morgana? What the heck?! Oh no, he's kinda hot, too. But the body doesn't match the voice lol. Hopefully they change it.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Would be pretty interesting to see how they could make Kasumi an echo since she uses different (yet somewhat similar) weapons (an Estoc and a Lever Action Rifle) and maybe even a different Persona which, going off the low SP count, seems to be Physically oriented.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
To anyone dismayed that P5R doesn't appear to be coming to the Switch, I wouldn't despair yet. Could easily still happen down the line at a later date, even if there are no immediate plans for it. P5R seems to be an extended definitive edition of sorts, and if P5 is getting ports to other consoles, they'll probably want to bank on that eventually. (Here's hoping at least, since I want to play this so bad.)

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty hyped about P5R and I plan on playing it whenever I get a chance. Probably not when it immediately comes out because as much as I love P5 I'm not willing to commit 100+ hours on a game any time soon (although I might by then?).

Also the human Morgana is the most interesting to me. I wonder how that is going to play out.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys will Kazumi's skillset be considering she's a full on party member? I can think of two ideas:

1) Assuming that
Akechi
is still a temporary party member, she could fill in their role as the full-fledged Light user, either with a similar moveset or a unique one.

2) If they're revamping skillsets, maybe they can decompose some of Haru's kit and give it to her. I've seen some people commenting on how Haru sometimes has too much skills ranging from Psi, Gun, the Walls, Heat Riser, etc. Perhaps they give Haru a more coincise toolkit and give Kazumi any of the scrapped skills.

Also does her being a party member debunk the idea of her being a Joker echo? I know I questioned why Atlus would make a side character an alt back when she was first teased, but an echo could be a different story. Also depends if they're willing to expand on Joker's Persona content even when he's out already, and if DLC echos will even be a thing.

D

Deleted member

This is... incredibly interesting. I thought it was going to be a Persona 5 expansion like Golden was for 4, but it seems to be a bit of an update to the game. I can see how differently Kamoshida's Palace might operate now with the Grappling Hook and the new events will make the game fresh for people who bought and beaten P5. I am definitely getting this game!

As for Kasumi... she is very cute, but also very mysterious. I wonder what direction they will take her, and I am curious if she becomes an Echo Fighter for Joker if that datamine means anything. I am interested in the other things that seem pretty different from base P5...
Such as Wakaba being alive and the fact that Akechi with the Black Mask might be a party member.

amageish

Smash Master
What do you guys will Kazumi's skillset be considering she's a full on party member?
Given how the only thing we know about her is that she wants people to help themselves, it'd be kinda cute to have her have a focus on buffing/heal/support moves. They could also give her a curse focus, given how Joker only really has that if he's using Arsene or any other Curse-based persona.

Also does her being a party member debunk the idea of her being a Joker echo? I know I questioned why Atlus would make a side character an alt back when she was first teased, but an echo could be a different story. Also depends if they're willing to expand on Joker's Persona content even when he's out already, and if DLC echos will even be a thing.
Given how Joker has only one persona, I don't see it as debunked unless her persona has some gimmick that makes it fundamentally incompetable with Arsene (i.e., if it is something like Makoto's motorcycle)....

As for Kasumi... she is very cute, but also very mysterious. I wonder what direction they will take her, and I am curious if she becomes an Echo Fighter for Joker if that datamine means anything. I am interested in the other things that seem pretty different from base P5...
Such as Wakaba being alive and the fact that Akechi with the Black Mask might be a party member.
I'm kinda wondering if they'll take a page of P4's anime, wherein Yu is depicted as having a shadow that wants to stay with his friends (i.e., not move away) above all. Giving Joker a similar-ish shadow that leads to impossible things like Wakaba coming back to life, Morgana being a human, Akechi remaining a party member, and the Phantom Thieves being able to continue to act after the collapse of the metaverse could be interesting?

The main problem is that, well, it was already kinda done in the P4 anime and wouldn't be super original in concept, even if it'd be more fleshed out. Also, in Persona non-anime non-Arena logic, you can't have a shadow and a persona at once, so that may not work out...

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
What I am curious/concerned about is the direction they'll take with Akechi. It's obvious that they're expanding his presence in the game more than in the original (god I hope they do the same with Haru...), but part of me worries they'll

give him a slap on the wrist regarding the stuff he did, let him live on scot-free, and be buddy buddy with the rest of the PTs.

Considering his HUGE popularity amongst the fanbase (he's practically the most popular P5 character besides Joker himself): Atlus may very well give the fans what they want by doing this especially if there may be future canon spinoffs that they obviously want Akechi to be in, no matter how much it goes against the realism of it. After Japan IS pretty notorious for these kinds of things like how Sasuke in Naruto got off easy in spite of all the **** he committed in the series.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What I am curious/concerned about is the direction they'll take with Akechi. It's obvious that they're expanding his presence in the game more than in the original (god I hope they do the same with Haru...), but part of me worries they'll

give him a slap on the wrist regarding the stuff he did, let him live on scot-free, and be buddy buddy with the rest of the PTs.

Considering his HUGE popularity amongst the fanbase (he's practically the most popular P5 character besides Joker himself): Atlus may very well give the fans what they want by doing this especially if there may be future canon spinoffs that they obviously want Akechi to be in, no matter how much it goes against the realism of it. After Japan IS pretty notorious for these kinds of things like how Sasuke in Naruto got off easy in spite of all the **** he committed in the series.
I don't think they will give him a slap on the wrist. Rather, I think they are just going to do what the Phantom Thieves wanted to do before Akechi died, have them take down Shido together. They will never forgive him, but they do understand him and can relate to him. I think Akechi's story will have him face his crimes, though circumstance will still have him team up with the Phantom Thieves for the remaining dungeons and final boss.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they will give him a slap on the wrist. Rather, I think they are just going to do what the Phantom Thieves wanted to do before Akechi died, have them take down Shido together. They will never forgive him, but they do understand him and can relate to him. I think Akechi's story will have him face his crimes, though circumstance will still have him team up with the Phantom Thieves for the remaining dungeons and final boss.
Considering that one of the screenshots show Joker celebrating New Years with the other PTs (without Akechi) and it's confirmed that there's an extra semester, I now get the feeling that

Akechi might turn himself in instead of Joker after the final battle. I think Sae mentioned back in the orignal that since Akechi isn't present to testify against Shido, Joker is the only one who can do so even if it means violating his probation. Honestly jail time is probably the best way to set up a redemption arc for Akechi without making it look like he gets away with his crap scot-free, no strings attached.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
One thing I wish they could have added to the mementos stage would be those random little conversations between the characters that happens In mementos in the actual game, those little bits of funny dialogue were great.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Considering that one of the screenshots show Joker celebrating New Years with the other PTs (without Akechi) and it's confirmed that there's an extra semester, I now get the feeling that

Akechi might turn himself in instead of Joker after the final battle. I think Sae mentioned back in the orignal that since Akechi isn't present to testify against Shido, Joker is the only one who can do so even if it means violating his probation. Honestly jail time is probably the best way to set up a redemption arc for Akechi without making it look like he gets away with his crap scot-free, no strings attached.
That makes a lot of sense...
The reason Joker doesn't turn himself in P5R is because Akechi being brought in made it so Joker didn't have to testify in the first place. I just wonder how Akechi is going to come back as a party member though, considering we might have seen his Black Mask in the Mona bus.

Edit:
Where should we go to see the P5S info?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Its a PS4 game too

Holy **** I legit had a thought the other day that a Persona Warriors game could happen someday, but I never expected it to actually be Persona 5 S.

Some people seem disappointed in P5S not being a switch port, but I have a huge soft spot for Musou games and certainly excited to hear the OST for it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Wouldn't it make more sense to make it a full Persona crossover with other games in the series? Aren't warriors games supposed to be big crossovers? Then again my only experience is with the Nintendo ones.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Wouldn't it make more sense to make it a full Persona crossover with other games in the series? Aren't warriors games supposed to be big crossovers? Then again my only experience is with the Nintendo ones.
I imagine there will be more than just P5 characters. There was more than just P4 characters in P4 Arena.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wouldn't it make more sense to make it a full Persona crossover with other games in the series?
We don't have enough info to know but given the amount of fanservice Hyrule Warriors got it's possible that we could see the other Persona characters. We might even get to play as other confidants or even bosses too.

I also just realized with K-T making Phantom Strikers we might get wedding costumes sold as DLC oh boy

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I...was not expecting Persona Warriors. I never thought of this, I never asked for this...

BUT I’LL TAKE IT! This looks more fire than an Agidyne and I love it!

osby

Smash Obsessed
We don't have enough info to know but given the amount of fanservice Hyrule Warriors got it's possible that we could see the other Persona characters. We might even get to play as other confidants or even bosses too.

I also just realized with K-T making Phantom Strikers we might get wedding costumes sold as DLC oh boy
I doubt it. Knowing previous spin-offs, they'll stick to Persona users.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Not gonna lie it feels pretty awkward being a guy who owns both a PS4 and a Switch and is perfectly fine buying this game day 1 while other people I know are either so smug that they get to keep a PS4 exclusive or salty that they didn't get a port on Switch.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie it feels pretty awkward being a guy who owns both a PS4 and a Switch and is perfectly fine buying this game day 1 while other people I know are either so smug that they get to keep a PS4 exclusive or salty that they didn't get a port on Switch.
Same boat here...I'm already opening my wallet for P5R and P5S, each on different systems. Hyrule Warriors proved the Switch is great for that genre.

Top Bottom