• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Now that PQ2 is finally confirmed to be released on the 3DS, I can finally make this thread!

Joker is the cunning and stylish leader of the Phantom Thieves from Persona 5. While Persona itself has made minimal appearances on Nintendo consoles, Persona is only a part of the very expansive Megami Tensei series, with the core Megami Tensei games having a huge prominence on Nintendo consoles and most recent titles appearing exclusively on Nintendo. You might argue why not have a Megami Tensei character then? And to answer that, Persona 5 has hit massive success, having sold two million copies massively outselling the most recent Shin Megami Tensei game, and it was even nominated for game of the year having contested with the likes of Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild! Furthermore, a game titled Persona Q2 will be coming sometime this year on Nintendo 3DS and it's practically guarenteed to feature Joker, meaning he'll be making his debut on a Nintendo console fairly soon, whether or not he gets in Smash.

With him he brings his dagger, his pistol, his second self Arsene, and his snazzy dance moves. Joker's dagger are kinda short ranged and he sacrifices speed for style, but he makes up for that with his gun and Arsene offering ranged projectiles and priority, and his fancy footwork keeping him hard to hit. Opponents must keep their guard up; underestimating Joker would be no different to having a death wish.

Let me know what you think of Joker in Smash. Don't be afraid to let your voice be heard!
Courtesy of @Xeno610
Neutral: Eiha - Joker summons a projectile from the ground that targets his closest enemy, but they can't be too far away from him. It does weak damage and knockback as a result.
Side: Sneak - Joker does a quick dash forward and it acts like a command grab. If he grabs someone, he throws them to the ground and he can follow up with whatever he wants. If it's done in the air and he grabs someone, it's basically a meteor effect; Joker will throw the enemy downward and he'll have another jump.
Down: Phantom Cloak - A counter with two different properties. If attacked by a physical attack, he'll follow up with a weak attack. If attacked by a projectile, he reflects the projectile back to the enemy.
Up: Wings of Rebellion - Joker gains the wings from Arsene and he glides upwards, like Corrin's up special.
Final Smash: All-Out Attack - A trapping cinematic Final Smash. Joker uses a curse attack and anyone caught in it will be attacked by him and 3 others (probably Makoto, Yusuke, and Morgana). The move does 30% damage, but it instantly kills anyone over 100% damage. If it's a stock match and Joker caught any remaining enemies that reached over 100%, then The Show's Over.

Neutral: Downward swipe -> upward and jump swipe -> finish with a downward swipe. His Attack animation in P5. If you are quick enough to do a smash attack, the last hit (his downward slash) would have its properties changed and he'll follow up with a shot from his gun. His regular neutral would have the final hit do minor knockback. The smash neutral needs you to do a side smash after the second slice (the upwards slice) and the downwards slice becomes a meteor smash where you can then follow up with his gun. This is to mimic his critical hit. The weakness with it is that the meteor is techable and the gunshot does no shield damage and will leave Joker wide open.
Side Tilt: A horizontal swipe, as if he was stealing a smaller treasure in P5.
Side smash: A vertical slice downward, as if he attacked an enemy in the overworld but didn't get the ambush in P5.
Up tilt: An upward slice that leads to Joker spinning his dagger.
Up Smash: I was thinking something like Guile's Flash Kick or Yoshi's up smash. An alternate idea I have is him doing a gunshot upwards.
Down tilt: A gunshot downward.
Down smash: Either a breakdance kick like the Mario Bros.' down smash or a slide.
Nair: Slices his dagger in front of him and behind him, like Robin's nair.
Fair: A karate styled kick or a gunshot forward. Uair: A bicycle kick.
Bair: A backwards kick.
Dair: He shoots downwards with his gun and does a little spin. The spin does minor damage, but the gunshots do a lot more.
Dash Attack: He does a little spin and does a downwards slice/stab.
Grab: He grabs with his left arm, the arm free from his dagger. His pummel is a punch.
Forward throw: He does a forward stab with his dagger.
Back throw: He elbows the opponent backwards.
Up throw: He punches his opponent upwards.
Down throw: He throws the opponent to the ground and shoots.

Idle: He stands, like when he is waiting for his turn in Persona 5. Occassionally, he will spin his dagger.
Idle Animation 1: Joker adjusts his mask as if they were his glasses.
Idle Animation 2: Joker gets in a battle ready pose, like it is his turn in P5. Or he checks his phone while waiting.
Up Taunt: Joker writes in his probation journal and says, "I should write something", "Let's do it," or "I'll just add this." It varies.
Side Taunt: Joker does a "come on!" pose like he does during his idle animation waiting for his turn in P5.
Down Taunt: Joker stomps one of his feet and rubs it. Think of the menu animation when you use a Skill like Dia.
On Screen Appearance: The Metaverse effect appears and Joker emerges from it.
Victory 1: Joker puts a hand behind his neck and moves his head as if he got a question correct in class. He either says, "It's a step forward" or "It's a change of heart".
Victory 2: Joker is opening a treasure chest, but when he notices the cameraman, he elbows them away and they land on the ground. Joker makes a quick escape afterwards.
Victory 3: This one is my personal favorite. Instead of a screen transition where there is a diagonal slash, Joker takes the very last frame of the fight and puts it in his pocket. He either says, "I won't forget this feeling" or "Looking cool, am I?"
Victory Theme: The P5 victory theme and it's on a loop like Cloud's.

Walk: Joker just walks like he does in P5.
Dash: Joker sprints like he does in P5 when you hold down the run button.
Sidestep Dodge: He steps back.
Roll: Joker does a roll so quick that you can only see the effects of him dodging. This is like in P5 when you go from one hiding spot to another. The roll has a similar affect to Mewtwo's and Palutena's. (note: sidestep and roll share a sound effect when Joker goes from one spot to another)
Jump: Joker flips on his first jump and does another flip during his midair jump.
Fall: He falls down like he does during the infiltration log.
Land: He lands like he does during the infiltration log.
Crouch: Similar to his land actually; he can't crawl.
Dizzy: The animation Joker makes when he is inflicted with a status aliment.
Sleep: Joker just sits down on the ground and sleeps.
Other animations, like his getting hit animation would be like the one from P5 and when he is hit to the ground facing forward it's his death animation. Facial expressions would be smug and confident, with a lot of smiles and grins.

The Phandom! (Supporter list)
Robertman2 Robertman2
@Xeno610
DarkAuraful DarkAuraful
Schnee117 Schnee117
Strider_Bond00J Strider_Bond00J
NintenZ NintenZ
FamicomDisk FamicomDisk
Sigran101 Sigran101
amageish amageish
CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592
kirbsmash kirbsmash
Freduardo Freduardo

https://discord.gg/ccXD4uH

Join the discord server for Joker!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Damn. I wanted to make this thread, but you beat me to the punch. :p

Anyways, I fully support Joker! I love Persona 5 and it's my Game of the Year so far (though, I doubt any game will beat it). I have made a moveset for him, as well as animation ideas.
Neutral: Eiha - Joker summons a projectile from the ground that targets his closest enemy, but they can't be too far away from him. It does weak damage and knockback as a result.
Side: Sneak - Joker does a quick dash forward and it acts like a command grab. If he grabs someone, he throws them to the ground and he can follow up with whatever he wants. If it's done in the air and he grabs someone, it's basically a meteor effect; Joker will throw the enemy downward and he'll have another jump.
Down: Phantom Cloak - A counter with two different properties. If attacked by a physical attack, he'll follow up with a weak attack. If attacked by a projectile, he reflects the projectile back to the enemy.
Up: Wings of Rebellion - Joker gains the wings from Arsene and he glides upwards, like Corrin's up special.
Final Smash: All-Out Attack - A trapping cinematic Final Smash. Joker uses a curse attack and anyone caught in it will be attacked by him and 3 others (probably Makoto, Yusuke, and Morgana). The move does 30% damage, but it instantly kills anyone over 100% damage. If it's a stock match and Joker caught any remaining enemies that reached over 100%, then The Show's Over.

Neutral: Downward swipe -> upward and jump swipe -> finish with a downward swipe. His Attack animation in P5. If you are quick enough to do a smash attack, the last hit (his downward slash) would have its properties changed and he'll follow up with a shot from his gun. His regular neutral would have the final hit do minor knockback. The smash neutral needs you to do a side smash after the second slice (the upwards slice) and the downwards slice becomes a meteor smash where you can then follow up with his gun. This is to mimic his critical hit. The weakness with it is that the meteor is techable and the gunshot does no shield damage and will leave Joker wide open.
Side smash: A vertical slice downward, as if he attacked an enemy in the overworld but didn't get the ambush in P5.
Up Smash: I was thinking something like Guile's Flash Kick or Yoshi's up smash. An alternate idea I have is him doing a gunshot upwards.
Down smash: Either a breakdance kick like the Mario Bros.' down smash or a slide.
Dair: He shoots downwards with his gun and does a little spin. The spin does minor damage, but the gunshots do a lot more.
Grab: He grabs with his left arm, the arm free from his dagger. His pummel is a punch.

Idle: He stands, like when he is waiting for his turn in Persona 5. Occassionally, he will spin his dagger.
Idle Animation 2: Joker gets in a battle ready pose, like it is his turn in P5. Or he checks his phone while waiting.
Up Taunt: Joker writes in his probation journal and says, "I should write something", "Let's do it," or "I'll just add this." It varies.
Side Taunt: Joker does a "come on!" pose like he does during his idle animation waiting for his turn in P5.
Down Taunt: Joker stomps one of his feet and rubs it. Think of the menu animation when you use a Skill like Dia.
Victory 1: Joker puts a hand behind his neck and moves his head as if he got a question correct in class. He either says, "It's a step forward" or "It's a change of heart".
Victory 2: Joker is opening a treasure chest, but when he notices the cameraman, he elbows them away and they land on the ground. Joker makes a quick escape afterwards.
Victory 3: This one is my personal favorite. Instead of a screen transition where there is a diagonal slash, Joker takes the very last frame of the fight and puts it in his pocket. He either says, "I won't forget this feeling" or "Looking cool, am I?"

Roll: Joker does a roll so quick that you can only see the effects of him dodging. This is like in P5 when you go from one hiding spot to another. The roll has a similar affect to Mewtwo's and Palutena's. (note: sidestep and roll share a sound effect when Joker goes from one spot to another)
Jump: Joker flips on his first jump and does another flip during his midair jump.
Other animations, like his getting hit animation would be like the one from P5 and when he is hit to the ground facing forward it's his death animation. Facial expressions would be smug and confident, with a lot of smiles and grins.

I tried to make Joker's moveset as cool and stylish as possible. The thing with Joker in the Metaverse is that he's a lot more open and carefree, taking a lot of risks and making himself look cool while doing it. The artstyle in P5 also has this stylish feeling that is hard to replicate. Some inspiration came from Dante as well with his up and down tilts and dair. My idea is to make him a quick character that looks cool while attacking.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Damn. I wanted to make this thread, but you beat me to the punch. :p

Anyways, I fully support Joker! I love Persona 5 and it's my Game of the Year so far (though, I doubt any game will beat it). I have made a moveset for him, as well as animation ideas.

I tried to make Joker's moveset as cool and stylish as possible. The thing with Joker in the Metaverse is that he's a lot more open and carefree, taking a lot of risks and making himself look cool while doing it. The artstyle in P5 also has this stylish feeling that is hard to replicate. Some inspiration came from Dante as well with his up and down tilts and dair. My idea is to make him a quick character that looks cool while attacking.
Ooohhh, good job with the moveset. Far better than anything I could come up with. Can I post it in the first post? I'd give you credit?

And P5 is my GOTY. Mario could surpass it though

D

Deleted member

Ooohhh, good job with the moveset. Far better than anything I could come up with. Can I post it in the first post? I'd give you credit?

And P5 is my GOTY. Mario could surpass it though
Sure! I would love that!

I don't know if Mario or Zelda could surpass P5 for me. I love the game so much that I doubt it could be beat for me.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
You can count me in as well. I would be pretty fond of Akira making a debut.

And I will agree saying that this is my of 2017; though that's not really saying much since that's the only 2017 game I've played but I doubt any game this year would be any better.

As for all time though? Not too sure about that. I love the game and all, but it'll take more than what it has to surpass The Last of Us, Twilight Princess and dethrone God Eater. Still a potential top 10 favorite.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
You can count me in as well. I would be pretty fond of Akira making a debut.

And I will agree saying that this is my of 2017; though that's not really saying much since that's the only 2017 game I've played but I doubt any game this year would be any better.

As for all time though? Not too sure about that. I love the game and all, but it'll take more than what it has to surpass The Last of Us, Twilight Princess and dethrone God Eater. Still a potential top 10 favorite.
P5 is behind Mario 64, Halo 3 and Doom 2016 for me

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Absolutely in for Joker (or any of the other Wild Card users to be honest but Joker has the best chance of the lot).

He should definitely take advantage of the Wild Card ability in his moveset but he should only have 3 maybe 4 Personas to pick from. Arsene, Jack Frost and his Ultimate Persona are obvious picks. Vishnu would work too seeing as completing the Fool confidant allows you to fuse him.

I could see issues cropping up due to the knife and gun weapons which are his main form of attack but they should be fine due to being heavily stylised.

P5 currently sits as my second favourite Persona game behind 3 which is my third favourite game ever.

D

Deleted member

I could see issues cropping up due to the knife and gun weapons which are his main form of attack but they should be fine due to being heavily stylised.

P5 currently sits as my second favourite Persona game behind 3 which is my third favourite game ever.
The problem that Sakurai had with Snake is that his weapons were very realistic and Sakurai didn't want to put realistic weapons in Smash.
Joker's daggers aren't realistic and are stylized. Some of the daggers he gets late game aren't realistic at all anyway, so there are workarounds. His pistols though... that could present a problem, especially when people do mistake airsoft guns with real guns (which in P5, he uses airsoft guns but the cognition of the Metaverse make them real).

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
The problem that Sakurai had with Snake is that his weapons were very realistic and Sakurai didn't want to put realistic weapons in Smash.
Joker's daggers aren't realistic and are stylized. Some of the daggers he gets late game aren't realistic at all anyway, so there are workarounds. His pistols though... that could present a problem, especially when people do mistake airsoft guns with real guns (which in P5, he uses airsoft guns but the cognition of the Metaverse make them real).
There's some unrealistic looking guns iirc, also Bayonetta uses guns fine

I hope Sakurai would somehow sneak Mara in

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I would not be opposed to any Persona representation in Smash Bros, be it Joker or Yu Narukami, but either one of them would get me extremely hyped. (And more Xander Mobus if we get Joker) So if we could call the supporters group the "Phandom", feel free to put me on the list.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I keep thinking this is referring to Joker from dragon quest.

Persona is cool. Support.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Joker's the fan favourite Phantom Thief (obviously) followed by Best Girl and Yusuke.

Haru, Ann and Ryuji should all be higher than Morgana.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Joker's the fan favourite Phantom Thief (obviously) followed by Best Girl and Yusuke.

Haru, Ann and Ryuji should all be higher than Morgana.

Why is best girl only fourth on the confidant list
Tf Japan

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Makoto and Futuba huh? Not bad. I myself usually go for Chihaya first play-through and second, though this time once I go back to P5, it might change for Hifumi.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Kawakami and Sae are the best.

Too bad stupid Atlus won't me show Sae why Akira is truly a nasty crime boy

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
Count me in ! It would be awesome to see Joker in Smash !

Persona 5 is one of my favourite games of all time (alongside Mario Galaxy, Sonic Rush and Pokémon Platinum) ! This game turned out to be so much better than I thought it'd be, and I already had high expectations of it due to the highly positive reviews it's got ! I spent countless hours playing Persona 5 non-stop since I got it. I just finished my 3rd playthrough but I plan on taking a break and play other games. I don't think I will have enough time to do a 4th one since summer vacations end soon.

In any case, Joker has all my support !

D

Deleted member

We haven't recently gotten any P5 news for a while, but we do have a pretty interesting development.
For the player character in Sonic Forces, you can have this costume of Joker. In case you don't know, Atlus is now owned by Sega, which is why Sonic Forces has this preorder bonus.
I was going to get Forces, but now I have a reason to preorder it. :p BTW, this will be Nintendo's first taste of P5 representation on a Nintendo console. PQ2's release date is still unknown.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
We haven't recently gotten any P5 news for a while, but we do have a pretty interesting development.
For the player character in Sonic Forces, you can have this costume of Joker. In case you don't know, Atlus is now owned by Sega, which is why Sonic Forces has this preorder bonus.
I was going to get Forces, but now I have a reason to preorder it. :p BTW, this will be Nintendo's first taste of P5 representation on a Nintendo console. PQ2's release date is still unknown.
I'm regarding this as canon to the Persona timeline and no can stop me

Mrrgle

Smash Cadet
I wanna be on that list. The idea of Joker in smash is something that has occurred to me many times as I watched the Kubz Scouts (He told me to tell you guys that he is THAT DUDE.) playthrough on P5.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I can see Velvet Room and maybe Mementos as the most likely stage ideas imo. Maybe the Casino or ship palaces would also sound good.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Supporting!

This game is hands down GOTY and in my Top 10 games of all time. I would love to see Joker being an unique fighter to the roster

His Final Smash shall be instant KO :)

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
I've come up with some quick concepts for Joker's specials and Final Smash, hope you don't mind if I write em' down real quick.

Neutral special (Gun): Joker will pull out his pistol and take a shot, button
can be pressed five more times to get extra shots before he puts his gun
away.

Side special (Critical Hit): Joker will pull out his dagger and dash
forward, dealing slight damage and tripping anyone he dashes through.
Press the button again and he will pull out his pistol and shoot at his
tripped opponents for a guaranteed follow up. The dash will not damage
shielding opponents, but it will still trip them.

Up special (Ambush): Joker will perform a short jump flip. His flip
has a command grab near the end of the act, and Joker will land
on and assault opponents he comes into contact with.

Down special (Persona): Joker will summon Arsene. Though summoning
Arsene itself doesn't do anything, having Arsene active will change
Joker's specials, which I have dubbed "Arsene specials". Arsene will
follow behind Joker until an Arsene special is used, after an Arsene special
is used he will disappear and must be summoned again. Arsene specials
are powerful, but will cost Joker some health, or rather gain him percent.

Arsene neutral special (Dream Needle): Arsene will fire a large needle
which acts as a projectile. Opponents hit by this needle will fall
asleep. Joker will gain 10% when this ability is used.

Arsene side special (Sukunda): Arsene will swipe in front of Joker,
opponents hit by this swipe will have their run/walk speed decreased
by twenty percent, and will have the startup and endlag of all their
evasive abilities increased by fifty percent. This debuff lasts for
seven seconds. Joker will gain 7% when this ability is used.

Arsene up special (Brave Blade): Arsene will dash out in front of Joker,
swiping at and dealing a whole lot of damage and knockback to anyone in
his way. Joker will gain 20% when this ability is used.

Arsene down special (Some Other Way): Joker retracts Arsene and Arsene
disappears.

Final Smash (All Out Attack): Joker will trip up any opponents in front
of him before summoning his fellow Phantom Thieves and initiating an
all out attack.

I had a couple other ideas for standards, taunts, and victory screens, but I'll leave my fellow Persona 5 fans to discuss that.

Before I close this out I'd just like to say a game called Persona Q2 will be released on Nintendo 3DS. Though we do have very little information regarding the game, the information we do have practically confirms that Joker will be featured in it. So none of that unspoken rule about "Oh *character* needs to be on a Nintendo console to be viable."

Anyway, I hope my words have convinced you to want Joker in Smash just as I do. Thanks for reading and let me know what you think! Lets get this man in Smash!

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well I definitely saw this thread coming. While I am not too confident on his chances, sign me up for that Joker support. He would be stealing hearts of not just smashers, but players as well.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No chance in hell he makes it in, given P5’s exclusivity deal with Sony. Maybe after Q2, which if I’m not mistaken will come out on 3DS, but even then, he’s seen as a PlayStation character (then again, so is Cloud).

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
I guess it was a bit silly of me to put it at the bottom of original thread, so quickly I'd like to point out again that I did bring up a game called Persona Q2 that will be on the 3DS, and will in the most evident scenario feature Joker.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Thanks for pointing it out though. Also, I'm just the "first poster" of it, as I took entirely over the Speculation Forum alone for a bit. So it makes sense.

I've merged both threads, since you had some nice information in your opening post and I didn't want it go to waste. :)

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Supporting this! Persona 5 was my favorite game of 2017, and seeing a support thread for the main character of that game, is ****ing amazing!

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
No chance in hell he makes it in, given P5’s exclusivity deal with Sony. Maybe after Q2, which if I’m not mistaken will come out on 3DS, but even then, he’s seen as a PlayStation character (then again, so is Cloud).
After that survey Atlus put out? I'd be surprised if it didn't come to the Switch at some point

I'll update the list later tonight

Last edited:

Rioni

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure about his chances, but I definitely support him wholeheartedly! It would be pretty dang awesome :)

NNID
Majorasmask66
Chances are one thing but in terms of want, I want this character in Smash Bros so bad. Persona 5 was tied with Breath of the Wild for me for game of the year. Hopefully they put something on the Switch that has Joker in it so we can have an excuse to put him in Smash. He is such a cool character that would be a blast to play. Not to mention, imagine all the music we would get... Not sure whether his final smash should be an all out attack or a certain persona if you know what I mean.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Chances are one thing but in terms of want, I want this character in Smash Bros so bad. Persona 5 was tied with Breath of the Wild for me for game of the year. Hopefully they put something on the Switch that has Joker in it so we can have an excuse to put him in Smash. He is such a cool character that would be a blast to play. Not to mention, imagine all the music we would get... Not sure whether his final smash should be an all out attack or a certain persona if you know what I mean.
I'd personally opt for an All Out Attack. It's flashy without being spoilery.

Top Bottom