• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Joker is a perfect example of why 3rd party characters (like HIM) don't belong in Super Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I really hate this mindset.

I agree with TC to an extent. I only play on Nintendo. And Joker isn't even that unique.

I'd take Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, Rex and Pyra, Dixie Kong, Spring Man, Isaac, Impa, Kamek, Waluigi, Captain Toad, King Boo, Midna and Elma over the likes of Joker and half the third parties this board suggests.

This is still a Nintendo crossover. The day it stops being that it may as well be multiplatform.
It stopped being a Nintendo crossover since Brawl with Snake.
Hey, guess what: there aren’t only popular choices left. There’s plenty of less-popular choices out there:

-DeMille (Tomato Adventure)
-Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
-Mach Rider (Mach Rider)

And they can bring hype. Not as much as 3rd parties, sure, but they can.
First time I heard about Tomato Adventure :b

First 2 are quite obscure as they never saw release in the West. Ayumi could be cool for VN factor but that's about it.

Mach Rider feels like a character people became attached due to Sakurai mentioning him/her and the Grinch hoax honestly.

As for being more hype than third parties, I seriously disagree with it but feel free to believe.

Vahhhnonni

Smash Rookie
So the news finally dropped for P5S, which turns out to NOT be a Persona 5 Switch port, but a Musou/Warriors spinoff. As someone who will probably never own a Playstation console, please remind me why I should care about Joker again? Why should I purchase him in SSBU? Why should I buy this Persona 5 Scramble?

The thing is, after Joker was announced for Smash, practically everyone assumed that Persona 5 would come to Switch. And with some upcoming Persona 5 announcements, that seemed inevitable. Well, joke's on us I guess, because as of now, Joker in Smash Bros. seems to be a fancy Playstation advertisement. I never cared about Joker before his inclusion in Smash, and afterwards I still didn't care much but there was a chance I might try out his game if it came to Switch. Now I'm back to being completely apathetic and I don't even feel like purchasing him in Smash.

Nintendo is my gaming platform of choice. Why should the Smash DLC packs go to characters that don't have anything to do with Nintendo and won't be coming to Nintendo anyway (aside from spinoffs I guess)? Is a Playstation owner going to purchase a Switch and Super Smash Bros. because Joker is in it now? I would bet the only reason a lot of people bought Joker in Smash is because they assumed they would also be able to play Persona 5 on Switch at some point. At least in Corrin's and Bayonetta's cases, we had characters whose games we could play on the same platform, and Bayonetta is basically a 2nd party character at this point anyway. Even Cloud's game eventually came to Switch (though no news about the FF7 remake). I feel like the rest of the DLC packs are going to be 3rd party characters whose games may or may not come to Switch and who will probably never show up again in Smash anyway. Instead of that, why couldn't we get the remainder of the fan-favorite and fan-requested characters, that Nintendo fans, the ones who own and play Super Smash Bros., will want to purchase?

As for my point about 3rd party characters not belonging in Smash....I mean characters that literally have nothing to do with Nintendo, or extremely little. 3rd parties like Mega Man or Pac-man or Ryu make sense because they've had a strong history with Nintendo, at least in the past. But Joker? Cloud? Steve? Doom Guy? Master Chief? Or whatever other 3rd party characters people talk about? I'd prefer they stay away. If we're going to get advertisements in the form of character DLC, at least make it an advertisement for a game I can buy on the same console as Smash. Otherwise it's a waste of a "slot" (and yes I did just say that).

I wanted to say this all sounds so petty. Just be happy to have a game invented where all this collaboration between different game companies can happen. They all belong in smash because anything can happen and any decision can be made based on whatever criteria THEY want. You don’t like it? Try and find another fighting game with this many characters that is this satisfying to play. Some of the most iconic video game characters are in this game because Nintendo and Sakurai simply want a variety of characters no matter where they come from at this point as long as they believe a move set can be created for them. o yes, they deserve to be there because no one goes by YOUR criteria since YOU did not make the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This thread is stupid lmao. Anyone else catch that the OP complains about the idea of Steve (Who's on Nintendo with Nintendo heavily pushing Minecraft) and Doomguy (Who's franchise has always been on Nintendo and is even having the highly anticipated Doom Eternal go on the Switch with the Switch version being announced at the same time as the other versions alongside fitting the 'important to gaming history' rule)?

Johhny_C_Bad

Smash Rookie
Joker made a bunch of my friends buy Smash because they loved Persona 5 and was stoked about Joker. My wife who really doesn't like smash even was stoked and wanted to play just because Joker was in it, and had fun.

Nintendo bringing people together from other walks of life is cool, and I think that's what they try to do.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

First time I heard about Tomato Adventure :b

First 2 are quite obscure as they never saw release in the West. Ayumi could be cool for VN factor but that's about it.

Mach Rider feels like a character people became attached due to Sakurai mentioning him/her and the Grinch hoax honestly.

As for being more hype than third parties, I seriously disagree with it but feel free to believe.
For the record, Sakurai would have included Snake in Melee had Kojima asked him sooner in development

UserKev

Smash Champion
It actually has, to a certain extent.
And you're absolutely right. I won't play stupid and ignore you're points. Smash would have needed some third party hype eventually but in my case, I would have been strict about it because I have a urge for it. Its exciting to me. Other "third parties", I wouldn't bother over rather, they'd have to come to me. I'm not potentially advertising an IP that is inherently a rival console exclusive and because, I want Smash to return to its former glory. Less third parties equals to less characters and less characters equals to easy balancing, then I can reform single player modes, break the targets, bring back board the platforms, etc.

osby

Smash Obsessed
And you're absolutely right. I won't play stupid and ignore you're points. Smash would have needed some third party hype eventually but in my case, I would have been strict about it because I have a urge for it. Its exciting to me. Other "third parties", I wouldn't bother over rather, they'd have to come to me. I'm not potentially advertising an IP that is inherently a rival console exclusive and because, I want Smash to return to its former glory. Less third parties equals to less characters and less characters equals to easy balancing, then I can reform single player modes, break the targets, bring back board the platforms, etc.
"Former glory"? Hate to break it you, but Ultimate is the best selling game in the series, just in a few months.

Coincidentally, it's also the game with most amount of third party content in it.

Glerma

Smash Cadet
"Former glory"? Hate to break it you, but Ultimate is the best selling game in the series, just in a few months.

Coincidentally, it's also the game with most amount of third party content in it.
Why does nobody mention that by beating Brawl it became the best selling fighting game too?
I did not know either of these things and that is really cool. It also makes a lot of arguments people have made on this thread (and sadly other kind of BS threads), some of the funniest satires I have seen in my life.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I did not know either of these things and that is really cool. It also makes a lot of arguments people have made on this thread (and sadly other kind of BS threads), some of the funniest satires I have seen in my life.
It's honestly sad as it's always people who are strictly Nintendo fans who say this. Those people always try to say "Good games are actually bad because you see, it isn't Nintendo".

Also Joker has 2 games he's appeared on for Nintendo now as of P5Scramble. Unless you count Smash in which case it becomes 3

UserKev

Smash Champion

A guess its no wonder I adapted to the "true smash fan" mentality. Haha

Still lack of modes. Modes are what helped made Smash.

Arthur97

Smash Master
One thing I think people forget is that Sakurai doesn't work for Nintendo. He runs his own studio, and though he works with Nintendo, he doesn't have free reign over everything. He still has to acquire the rights to the Nintendo characters just as much as any third party addition, because to his company, everyone he's working with is technically a "third party". He also goes out of his way to speak with the characters' original creators to get their blessing and represent them the way they want them represented, and working with people like Hideki "**** off Smash Idiots" Kamiya can't be easy. Chill out.

So technically, Sakurai had to strike deals with:
Nintendo
HAL Laboratories
Intelligent Systems
Monolith Soft
Gamefreak
Konami
SEGA
Atlus
Platinum Games
Capcom
Namco Bandai
Square Enix
Ubisoft
WayForward
Yacht Club Games

Third parties belong in Smash just as much as everyone else. It started as a Nintendo series, but the fact they were considering Snake, Sonic, and even freaking James Bond in the second game tells me the series was never strictly about Nintendo after the experiment that was the original 64 game.

tl;dr - Technically, to Sakurai, every character on the roster is a third party one. Stop acting like it's some exclusive club that only Nintendo characters can get in. It stopped being that after the first game.
Are you kidding me with this? Nintendo owns the game. There is no licensing with characters you own (except maybe Pokemon cause that's a mess). Sakurai owns nothing in Smash. He is hired to do a job by Nintendo so cut out about half of those.
No, it had guests. Notice that Snake and Sonic were always relegated to the end. Even in 4 they were cast off to their own portion of the roster and specifically referred to as guest. It wasn't until 4's DLC that they went third party happy. Having third parties does not not make it a Nintendo crossover, it makes them guess fighters. Your line of thinking is like saying that Injustice stopped being about DC superheroes when they added Scorpion. Which is a really terrible argument.

For that matter, it's still third party trailers that pull the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X [insert franchise here]. They're still guests. We just have a crap ton of them now.

Last edited:

Sassypriest

Smash Rookie
I really hate this mindset.
"i really hate when people dont want the same things i want" yes very good thank you

I agree with TC to an extent. I only play on Nintendo. And Joker isn't even that unique.

I'd take Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, Rex and Pyra, Dixie Kong, Spring Man, Isaac, Impa, Kamek, Waluigi, Captain Toad, King Boo, Midna and Elma over the likes of Joker and half the third parties this board suggests.

This is still a Nintendo crossover. The day it stops being that it may as well be multiplatform.
can you really not see why someone would prefer a fleshed out, developed character from an amazing and famous game series who has the potential to be a unique and fun entry in the game over a side character from a franchise thats already well represented, who we barely see fight so would just have a generic moveset? (i know that doesnt apply to everyone you listed, like i'd love to see skull kid).

joker went all out (pun not intended). i just dont agree with "joker isnt that unique" because while yes, he did unfortunately borrow a lot of moves from other fighters, you just cant compare his presentation to anyone else.

you can still want everyone you listed. thats totally fine. i just hate this "hate this mindset" garbage. personally, i'd easily take a character from a 3rd party series ive never played as long as theyre fun & interesting over a character who was made to give wario a partner in a tennis game and whos biggest role is being the main villain in a mario ddr spin off. is it really so hard to see that pov?

D

Deleted member

Are you kidding me with this? Nintendo owns the game. There is no licensing with characters you own (except maybe Pokemon cause that's a mess). Sakurai owns nothing in Smash. He is hired to do a job by Nintendo so cut out about half of those.

No, it had guests. Notice that Snake and Sonic were always relegated to the end. Even in 4 they were cast off to their own portion of the roster and specifically referred to as guest. It wasn't until 4's DLC that they went third party happy. Having third parties does not not make it a Nintendo crossover, it makes them guess fighters. Your line of thinking is like saying that Injustice stopped being about DC superheroes when they added Scorpion. Which is a really terrible argument.

For that matter, it's still third party trailers that pull the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X [insert franchise here]. They're still guests. We just have a crap ton of them now.
It had guests then, it has guests now whats the difference? Number of them? Thats silly. Even if all the DLC is 3rd party they are less than a fourth from the total roster. A lot of them give variety to the game given that Nintendo doesn't really own characters like them.

Even with guests, the characters not being strictly linked to Nintendo has never been an issue since Snake AKA the first guest fighter.

MK characters on Injustice is weird, more because they are removed from what they are known for (gore, blood, fatalities) more than being in a crossover with DC.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Having third parties does not not make it a Nintendo crossover, it makes them guess fighters.
This strikes me very much as a to-MAY-to/to-MAH-to situation. The only real difference it serves is so one person can claim that they are right and that somehow their opinions count more.

Smash bros has a lot of characters in it. There's a good chance that there's going to be one or two you don't like, ones you don't feel belong. Get over it. I'm sure that there are plenty that you do like. Enjoy them and just accept that you're not going to a gree with all the decissions the developers make. So far every Smash Bros has broek the previous games fanmade rules about who should be allowed in and who shouldn't.

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
"I hate Joker so that means third parties are terrible. You have failed me, Lord Sakurai"

-Mewtwo, 2019

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
As of now we're getting 80 characters in the final game assuming the Fighter Pass is all we're getting. 10 characters so far are third party, meaning if all the Fighter Pass has is third party characters, that's still 66 Nintendo characters so I don't really see why more third party characters are bad

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
User was warned for this post
Thread title is right, too many third party immigrants are stealing roster slots from poor hard working Nintendo characters and what do we get in return? Dirty musou games!
I say we build a wall and make the Fire Emblem fans pay for it! Lets make smash great again!

2019042617260400-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

Alright I'll leave now please don't kill me mods.....

Edit: Yeah I deserved that warning, I'll take it.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
It had guests then, it has guests now whats the difference? Number of them? Thats silly. Even if all the DLC is 3rd party they are less than a fourth from the total roster. A lot of them give variety to the game given that Nintendo doesn't really own characters like them.

Even with guests, the characters not being strictly linked to Nintendo has never been an issue since Snake AKA the first guest fighter.

MK characters on Injustice is weird, more because they are removed from what they are known for (gore, blood, fatalities) more than being in a crossover with DC.
Snake is also probably the worst because he was literally a personal favor. Not picked for his legacy or anything. He was a favor and a prime example of Sakurai just doing whatever he pleases.

Also, all you people who like making fun of people who don't like third parties are worse when you simply resort to straight up mocking others.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
A rant thread with a salty OP? Here's the inevitable Mogisthelioma post! Now let's really get this heated!

@Mewtwo Listen bruh, just because you don't like Joker doesn't mean the entirety of the Super Smash bros. Ultimate development team has to drop everything and cancel all third party efforts to satisfy your lust for whatever the **** it is you want.

If I had a pickax and a time machine I would take you and me to the Middle Ages, literally mine all of the salt off of you and get filthy rich.

As someone who will probably never own a Playstation console, please remind me why I should care about Joker again? Why should I purchase him in SSBU? Why should I buy this Persona 5 Scramble?
You don't have to. No one is obligating you to care. Joker is in for the Persona fans and anyone who is interested in the series but hasn't tried it yet (like myself). And you don't have to by P5S. That's not why Joker is in the game.
The thing is, after Joker was announced for Smash, practically everyone assumed that Persona 5 would come to Switch.
And that's our fault. We all assumed, without a solid reason, that a Persona 5 port would come to Switch. We were wrong, there simply wasn't a good enough piece of evidence to suggest it. We all jumped to conclusions to quickly.
Well, joke's on us I guess, because as of now, Joker in Smash Bros. seems to be a fancy Playstation advertisement. I never cared about Joker before his inclusion in Smash, and afterwards I still didn't care much but there was a chance I might try out his game if it came to Switch. Now I'm back to being completely apathetic and I don't even feel like purchasing him in Smash.
Joker isn't an advertisement. He was chosen by Sakurai from the list Nintendo gave him because he loved Persona 5. If you don't want to purchase him, for whatever reason, you're not obligated to. As I stated above, he is here for the Persona fans, not just you. Did that though ever pass through your head? That maybe they picked a character for other reasons than you hoped for?

Breaking news!

Hi, I'm Mogisthelioma, from Mogisthelioma news. This just came in seconds ago: It appears that the world doesn't revolve around @Mewtwo and their salty opinions. Who would have guessed?
Why should the Smash DLC packs go to characters that don't have anything to do with Nintendo and won't be coming to Nintendo anyway (aside from spinoffs I guess)?
  1. To get fans from their games interested in Smash
  2. To get Smash players interested in their games
  3. To bring more game developers together
  4. To increase how awesome the crossover is
  5. To celebrate critically acclaimed games
  6. To celebrate gaming history
  7. Literally a hundred more reasons, but you should (hopefully) understand by now.
Is a Playstation owner going to purchase a Switch and Super Smash Bros. because Joker is in it now? I would bet the only reason a lot of people bought Joker in Smash is because they assumed they would also be able to play Persona 5 on Switch at some point.
Did you go to Assumption College? 'Cause that's a really big....assumption (I'll see myself out).

People bought Joker for all sorts of reasons. I bought him because he looked fun to play. If people assumed Persona 5 would come to Switch and bough Joker because of it, that's their fault, not Nintendo's.
I feel like the rest of the DLC packs are going to be 3rd party characters whose games may or may not come to Switch and who will probably never show up again in Smash anyway. Instead of that, why couldn't we get the remainder of the fan-favorite and fan-requested characters, that Nintendo fans, the ones who own and play Super Smash Bros., will want to purchase?
Because many of those third party characters are fan favorites and fan requests. I am a Nintendo fan and I love some o the third party fighters we have. I used to dislike them, but thanks to Joker I've come to see it from a new angle and I really appreciate them. Your point is purely personal and shared by barely anyone (otherwise we'd only have a few third parties and not this many).
As for my point about 3rd party characters not belonging in Smash....I mean characters that literally have nothing to do with Nintendo, or extremely little.
So? Some of the Nintendo characters in the game also have barely any history with Nintendo. Besides, some of these characters were incredibly popular and/or from critically acclaimed games, and have a huge history in gaming.
But Joker? Cloud? Steve? Doom Guy? Master Chief? Or whatever other 3rd party characters people talk about? I'd prefer they stay away. If we're going to get advertisements in the form of character DLC, at least make it an advertisement for a game I can buy on the same console as Smash. Otherwise it's a waste of a "slot" (and yes I did just say that).
Joker was not an advertisement. Again, he was very popular and picked personally by Sakurai because he loved Persona 5.

And all of the third party characters you listed are also popular. You fail to recognize what's outside of you salty corner. They wouldn't count as advertisements to anyone but yourself.
Don't call me "bruh" and don't be so sure.
Bruh.
I really don't like the idea of Sakurai choosing just based off what he likes and just to have an excuse to work with those characters. Sakurai personally seems uninterested with Nintendo itself, but it's his gateway to all these others so he keeps coming back. Well, that and he seems like a bit of a control freak.
That's another Big Bertha assumption. Sakurai chose one--one, I tell you (count 'em: ONE) fighter in Ultimate simply because he liked the game. (Almost) Everyone else was in via fan demand. I personally think that for all of his efforts the man gets to choose a fighter on his own. It doesn't make him a control freak in any way.
No, because Persona is not important to Nintendo in the least.
And neither is Corrin. And at least half a dozen other Nintendo characters in this game also hold very little importance to the company, they're in Smash for old reasons. Joker is in because he was popular, from an amazing game, and Sakurai liked him.
Look, you can try to bring in other people from other consoles with these stunts, but how many people are going to buy a console and a game just to play Cloud in Smash? Compare that to all the fans that already have both that would love some more first party content.
I dunno about you, but I really liked Cloud and I'm definitely buying the FF remakes when they release because of that, so mission accomplished for Nintendo and Square!
Yay, games over a decade old (and more like three). One of which still has that notoriously bad translation job. No 15 or VII remake. Just some good ol scraps from three generations ago.

Well, to be fair, Square apparently insisted on only putting in minimal content. Maybe they thought that made it fair.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Final Fantasy is one of the biggest, most iconic and widely acclaimed video game series there is, and some of its best are about to come to the Switch.
Banjo-Kazooie is more than a decade old as well. Does that mean I shouldn't support them? Oh wait. Maybe I shouldn't Super Mario RPG coming to the Switch because of how old it is!

Those games may be old, but they definitely aren't scraps.
Damn straight.
who cares what characters comes in, as long as they're fun to play with and have interesting playstyles?
Damn straight again.
"I hate Joker so that means third parties are terrible. You have failed me, Lord Sakurai"

-Mewtwo, 2019
Damn straight a third time.
Thread title is right, too many third party immigrants are stealing roster slots from poor hard working Nintendo characters and what do we get in return? Dirty musou games!
I say we build a wall and make the Fire Emblem fans pay for it! Lets make smash great again!

Alright I'll leave now please don't kill me mods.....
This post was so hilarious it almost made my spit out what I was drinking. The world needs more people like you.
Snake is also probably the worst because he was literally a personal favor. Not picked for his legacy or anything. He was a favor and a prime example of Sakurai just doing whatever he pleases.

Also, all you people who like making fun of people who don't like third parties are worse when you simply resort to straight up mocking others.
Stop dehumanizing Sakurai as some dictator because he has one or two personal picks. There are 80 fighters in this game and barely any of them were of personal choice. Everyone else was in the game for legitimate reasons. Once again you are making a big deal out of nothing.

And yes, we're going to mock you because almost all of your reasons for disliking third parties are selfish and ignore the tremendous amount of effort put into this game, as well as fail to appreciate any opinion that isn't your own.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You keep saying Sakurai does whatever he wants, but you didn't say why this is a bad thing. Snake is one most of the most popular Smash characters, so Sakurai having his own free will is not as bad as you make up to be.

D

Deleted member

Even if Snake is a personal favor, is a character with a big legacy and from a genre that is not associated with any Nintendo franchise. As much as you see him as the worst pick ever, I would disagree as he is a really fun character with a unique style and moveset that I feel that fits in Smash. In addition he meshes well due to the absurdity elements in Metal Gear like the boxes and Codecs (during Brawl).

Plus Sakurai not doing as he pleases would have never gotten us a lot of characters like Ness and Lucas on the game, or even get the first smash bros made in the first place.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Snake was chosen as a personal favor to Kojima, one if the most reviled and influential developers in the industry, sure but saying that as if he has no legacy is really degrading to that character. He pioneered the stealth genre and started in games that are considered to be the launching point of great stories in video games. Sakurai didn't pick Snake JUST cause he asked, like Sakurai didn't pick Sonic just cause Yuji Naka asked. It's not that black and white.

Glerma

Smash Cadet
i'd easily take a character from a 3rd party series ive never played as long as theyre fun & interesting over a character who was made to give wario a partner in a tennis game and whos biggest role is being the main villain in a mario ddr spin off. is it really so hard to see that pov?
Why you gotta **** on my boy Waluigi like that D:
(Note did it for the meme, not trying to start an argument over it lol)

My bad mods, that makes a lot more sense why everyone did all stars....

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I know its still early in the game's life but I just gotta appreciate how despite the roster being huge and bigger than ever it is seemingly quite balanced, or at least, more so than all the past entries!
Just wanted to say because some were mentioning having this big of a roster as a flaw for balancing reasons..

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
But people always asked for Crash Bandicoot even when there were no games of this series on Nintendo Systems...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So the news finally dropped for P5S, which turns out to NOT be a Persona 5 Switch port, but a Musou/Warriors spinoff. As someone who will probably never own a Playstation console, please remind me why I should care about Joker again? Why should I purchase him in SSBU? Why should I buy this Persona 5 Scramble?

The thing is, after Joker was announced for Smash, practically everyone assumed that Persona 5 would come to Switch. And with some upcoming Persona 5 announcements, that seemed inevitable. Well, joke's on us I guess, because as of now, Joker in Smash Bros. seems to be a fancy Playstation advertisement. I never cared about Joker before his inclusion in Smash, and afterwards I still didn't care much but there was a chance I might try out his game if it came to Switch. Now I'm back to being completely apathetic and I don't even feel like purchasing him in Smash.

Nintendo is my gaming platform of choice. Why should the Smash DLC packs go to characters that don't have anything to do with Nintendo and won't be coming to Nintendo anyway (aside from spinoffs I guess)? Is a Playstation owner going to purchase a Switch and Super Smash Bros. because Joker is in it now? I would bet the only reason a lot of people bought Joker in Smash is because they assumed they would also be able to play Persona 5 on Switch at some point. At least in Corrin's and Bayonetta's cases, we had characters whose games we could play on the same platform, and Bayonetta is basically a 2nd party character at this point anyway. Even Cloud's game eventually came to Switch (though no news about the FF7 remake). I feel like the rest of the DLC packs are going to be 3rd party characters whose games may or may not come to Switch and who will probably never show up again in Smash anyway. Instead of that, why couldn't we get the remainder of the fan-favorite and fan-requested characters, that Nintendo fans, the ones who own and play Super Smash Bros., will want to purchase?

As for my point about 3rd party characters not belonging in Smash....I mean characters that literally have nothing to do with Nintendo, or extremely little. 3rd parties like Mega Man or Pac-man or Ryu make sense because they've had a strong history with Nintendo, at least in the past. But Joker? Cloud? Steve? Doom Guy? Master Chief? Or whatever other 3rd party characters people talk about? I'd prefer they stay away. If we're going to get advertisements in the form of character DLC, at least make it an advertisement for a game I can buy on the same console as Smash. Otherwise it's a waste of a "slot" (and yes I did just say that).
THANK YOU!!! Someone had to say it! I didn't even knew that Persona 5 wasn't coming to Switch, but it seems logical because well, none of the other games came to Switch. I also didn't purchase Joker, because I am not fooled by this inclusion. It's even worse than with Cloud, who was the most balant Sony-character on the roster before Joker. Now I get Joker is owned by SEGA and all, but is that really what counts?

I feel this addition of Joker is just to help promote Smash to people who aren't exactly knowledgable about Smash, or care about it. Maybe win them over to play it.. maybe once or twice at their friend's place. But will it really sell a Switch console? I doubt it. It's just Sakurai having a personal bias, like many times before.

Like you, my fellow friend who names himself after a Nintendo / Smash Bros. character, I am strictly playing games on Nintendo alone. I am not interessted in investing so much money into another console, not for just one random DLC 3rd party character. At least Ryu made me wanna play the older Street Fighters games, at least Mega Man made me consider playing the older games, at least Simon Belmont made me wanna play the older games, why? Cause they are on Nintendo.

I don't like these DLC additions, clear and simple. Piranha Plant opened the door to any troll addition that simply "just works" and is a "shock vallue" character... great? Joker opens the door to whatever else, as you said, Doom Guy, Minecraft Steve, Master Chief, and what not. I do not like it either. Nintendo owned franchises got the shaft once again, just like in Smash 4. DLC will probably even be more of a 3rd party fest than the newcomer selection of Smash 4.

This 3rd party attention is not only taking away from the roots of Smash Bros., which it hasn't been true to since Brawl mostly which is more than 50% of the existant Smash games at this moment, but it also is an elitist gaming sort of thing now. As if they assume any Smash fans owns multiple game systems. I didn't even buy a Wii U for example because I thought the line up was piss poor... Not everyone is able to afford this. Even if I wanted a Microsoft system because of Rare, and even if Tamarin on PS4 is looking tempting... I simply can't afford such a purchase.

Joker also got way too much attention for a simple newcomer I feel. His victory screen, the many cameos and thus voice actors needed for this inculsion, a whole gimmick that basically enchants his moveset... Meanwhile the most requested newcomers since Smash 4, King K.Rool and Ridley don't even have a proper homestage.

I just don't think this is fair. It's been annoying me since Brawl, it's been an eye sore especially in Smash 4, and now Ultimate is also heading to the same direction. I don't like it. And I don't have to. Nobody has to tell me I'm wrong about this either, cause I simply cannot be forced to like a thing I don't. I was open minded about this inclusion, listening to the masses here telling me to give it a chance before I judge... Well, they where wrong. I probably dislike Joker even more than innitially. So job well done...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Going to throw in my few cents here.

I agree with Mewtwo. To a point.

I wanted Smash to be Nintendo only. That's why the original premise of Smash 64 appealed to me. A big ol' museum of Nintendo.

I wanted Sega, Capcom, Namco and Konami to make their OWN versions of Smash rather than pooling everything in to the same game. I love the Smash gameplay and would love to see other companies attempt their own versions of it with their own impressive libraries of characters.

I think Playstation All Stars had legs and had it been able to get a hold of some of the stars that made people think of Playstation; Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro in particular, I think the series may have had a chance.

I adored Sonic and Sega All Star Racing. As a Sega Boy originally you can bet your bottom dollar that when that roster was revealed alongside the obvious Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow, NiGHTs and AiAi we also got House of the Dead characters, and my very first video game character I ever played of Alex Kidd, I was freaking pumped. Banjo was revealed as an Xbox exclusive guest character and that was pretty neat.

Then the sequel went ****ing nuts, particularly on the PC, and added in several guest stars include a real life racer, a Disney character, Football Manager, the cast of Team Fortress 2, a Shogun, A Youtuber, a realistic roman and an army commander.

My favourite game of all time is Team Fortress 2, but Spy, Heavy and Pyro didn't really have any reason to be in the game racing alongside Sonic and Amigo at all. Their inclusion in a Sega racer didn't really make me enjoy it anymore. If anything I felt their appearance jarring.
Wreck it Ralph crossed over with Sonic in a movie, but he didn't really need to be in a Sega All Star game.
Football Manager is a popular game, but it didn't need to be in a mascot racer just because it was the most played game on Steam at the time.
The game had become a frigging mess and honestly, yeah, that did dilute my enjoyment of what was a neat premise; Sega celebrating their history and franchises.

Smash...kinda the same thing. It was cute at first with Snake and Sonic, and Megaman, Pac-Man and Ryu to an extent, but with the inability to ever CUT a third party in fear that a fan be upset somewhere in the world, these aren't really 'guest' characters at this point, and as a result do dilute what was a solid core concept.

I haven't got an issue with Joker, Bayonetta and Sonic all getting together in a Sega based Smash style fighter that celebrates Sega history; hell I'd buy that happily. I'd probably get characters from Sega I'd want to see fight it out then too...and the same goes for a Namco, Konami and Capcom.

I think each of these companies has enough clout and mascots within them that they could easily make great rosters for their specific company and giving us more varied takes on the platform fighter. Smash games come out roughly once a console.

We could be getting more, but Sakurai has a monopoly at this point and Smash has become too revered for it's own good.
Give Sonic a break from Smash and let's see him, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Eggman, AiAi, Joker, Bayonetta, Jack Frost, NiGHTS, Ristar, Vectorman, Vyse from Skies of Arcadia, Gibus from Golden Axe, Alex Kidd, Beat, Amigo, Ulalala, Blaze and Axel from Streets of Rage and Virtua Fighters Jackie and Akira get physical in a Sega Smash game already.

Astroking112

Smash Cadet
I just don't think this is fair. It's been annoying me since Brawl, it's been an eye sore especially in Smash 4, and now Ultimate is also heading to the same direction. I don't like it. And I don't have to. Nobody has to tell me I'm wrong about this either, cause I simply cannot be forced to like a thing I don't. I was open minded about this inclusion, listening to the masses here telling me to give it a chance before I judge... Well, they where wrong. I probably dislike Joker even more than innitially. So job well done...
No one can tell you that you're wrong, but it's perfectly fine for you to say that everyone else is?

It's fine if you don't like Joker, but there's no need to cry foul over a game director adding a cool character from a popular franchise that still has games releasing on Nintendo platforms, even if they're not the ones that you like.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Going to throw in my few cents here.

I agree with Mewtwo. To a point.

I wanted Smash to be Nintendo only. That's why the original premise of Smash 64 appealed to me. A big ol' museum of Nintendo.

I wanted Sega, Capcom, Namco and Konami to make their OWN versions of Smash rather than pooling everything in to the same game. I love the Smash gameplay and would love to see other companies attempt their own versions of it with their own impressive libraries of characters.

I think Playstation All Stars had legs and had it been able to get a hold of some of the stars that made people think of Playstation; Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro in particular, I think the series may have had a chance.

I adored Sonic and Sega All Star Racing. As a Sega Boy originally you can bet your bottom dollar that when that roster was revealed alongside the obvious Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow, NiGHTs and AiAi we also got House of the Dead characters, and my very first video game character I ever played of Alex Kidd, I was freaking pumped. Banjo was revealed as an Xbox exclusive guest character and that was pretty neat.

Then the sequel went ****ing nuts, particularly on the PC, and added in several guest stars include a real life racer, a Disney character, Football Manager, the cast of Team Fortress 2, a Shogun, A Youtuber, a realistic roman and an army commander.

My favourite game of all time is Team Fortress 2, but Spy, Heavy and Pyro didn't really have any reason to be in the game racing alongside Sonic and Amigo at all. Their inclusion in a Sega racer didn't really make me enjoy it anymore. If anything I felt their appearance jarring.
Wreck it Ralph crossed over with Sonic in a movie, but he didn't really need to be in a Sega All Star game.
Football Manager is a popular game, but it didn't need to be in a mascot racer just because it was the most played game on Steam at the time.
The game had become a frigging mess and honestly, yeah, that did dilute my enjoyment of what was a neat premise; Sega celebrating their history and franchises.

Smash...kinda the same thing. It was cute at first with Snake and Sonic, and Megaman, Pac-Man and Ryu to an extent, but with the inability to ever CUT a third party in fear that a fan be upset somewhere in the world, these aren't really 'guest' characters at this point, and as a result do dilute what was a solid core concept.

I haven't got an issue with Joker, Bayonetta and Sonic all getting together in a Sega based Smash style fighter that celebrates Sega history; hell I'd buy that happily. I'd probably get characters from Sega I'd want to see fight it out then too...and the same goes for a Namco, Konami and Capcom.

I think each of these companies has enough clout and mascots within them that they could easily make great rosters for their specific company and giving us more varied takes on the platform fighter. Smash games come out roughly once a console.

We could be getting more, but Sakurai has a monopoly at this point and Smash has become too revered for it's own good.
Give Sonic a break from Smash and let's see him, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Eggman, AiAi, Joker, Bayonetta, Jack Frost, NiGHTS, Ristar, Vectorman, Vyse from Skies of Arcadia, Gibus from Golden Axe, Alex Kidd, Beat, Amigo, Ulalala, Blaze and Axel from Streets of Rage and Virtua Fighters Jackie and Akira get physical in a Sega Smash game already.
This reads like a very weird line of thought. Closing Smash to third parties won't magically create a series of Smash copies, just like not adding Isabelle and Villager to Mario Kart wouldn't give us an Animal Crossing Kart.

Sakurai has no monopoly on Smash, everyone is free to try their hand in it, but PSASBR showed it's a really hard thing to do and very few developers can do it justice like Smash. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting your non-Nintendo faves in Smash instead of hoping maybe someday their company would make a Smash clone.

This 3rd party attention is not only taking away from the roots of Smash Bros., which it hasn't been true to since Brawl mostly which is more than 50% of the existant Smash games at this moment, but it also is an elitist gaming sort of thing now. As if they assume any Smash fans owns multiple game systems. I didn't even buy a Wii U for example because I thought the line up was piss poor... Not everyone is able to afford this. Even if I wanted a Microsoft system because of Rare, and even if Tamarin on PS4 is looking tempting... I simply can't afford such a purchase.
A series growing and evolving is not a necessarily bad thing.

Also, I think I said that before, but likely very little part of the fandom played every characters' games in Ultimate. You can appreciate a character without playing their home game, too and not every character have to please everyone.

That being said, Joker already made his 3DS debut and another spin-off is coming to Switch, so it's not like people have to buy a PS4 to see him in a Nintendo console out of Smash.

Joker also got way too much attention for a simple newcomer I feel. His victory screen, the many cameos and thus voice actors needed for this inculsion, a whole gimmick that basically enchants his moveset... Meanwhile the most requested newcomers since Smash 4, King K.Rool and Ridley don't even have a proper homestage.
He's a DLC newcomer and doesn't share his development time with dozens of newcomers, while bringing a new franchise.

YMMV, but I think the time spend on him is justified.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No one can tell you that you're wrong, but it's perfectly fine for you to say that everyone else is?

It's fine if you don't like Joker, but there's no need to cry foul over a game director adding a cool character from a popular franchise that still has games releasing on Nintendo platforms, even if they're not the ones that you like.
Yes they where wrong. They where wrong about assuming I would like the character suddenly far more seeing how 'unique' (I don't think he's all that honestly) and 'fun' he would be. And no, I don't feel that way about the character at all. So yes, they are wrong here. Objectively.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
...from an amazing and famous game series who has the potential to be a unique and fun entry in the game over a side character from a franchise thats already well represented, who we barely see fight so would just have a generic moveset? (i know that doesnt apply to everyone you listed, like i'd love to see skull kid).
Don’t alot of Smash characters have a lot of made up moves because a lot of them are from games where we don’t really see them fight a lot, or showcase a lot of moves to borrow from?

From the top of my head, only Ryu/Ken, Bayonetta, and Simón/Richter move sets are almost entirely composed of moves that they do in their home games.

Not that it’s against you’re whole argument but this one in particular doesn’t hold well.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This reads like a very weird line of thought. Closing Smash to third parties won't magically create a series of Smash copies, just like not adding Isabelle and Villager to Mario Kart wouldn't give us an Animal Crossing Kart.

Sakurai has no monopoly on Smash, everyone is free to try their hand in it, but PSASBR showed it's a really hard thing to do and very few developers can do it justice like Smash. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting your non-Nintendo faves in Smash instead of hoping maybe someday their company would make a Smash clone.
If it'd been Nintendo only from the start to modern day, then I think other companies could have actually competed with Smash or at least attempted to.

The fact Mario + Sonic + Megaman + Pac-Man is such an all star line up that yeah, Sakurai theoretically DOES have the monopoly. Yes anyone can make a Smash style game, but what's going to realistically compete with that? Brawlhalla with only Rayman to it's name? Brawlout with Yooka-Laylee and the guy from Guacamelee?

No matter how impressive your roster is, four gaming icons of that magnitude easily makes any other roster look small fry in the end. No other company is likely to attempt a true competitor for Smash from here on because that's a very intimidating lineup to try and compete with. Even if Playstation All Stars had Lara Croft, Spyro, Crash and even Sora I think it'd struggle.

Stopping third parties now would be like closing the gate once the horse has bolted. You're right; it won't magically make create Smash copies now. My point was I wished it HAD stayed Nintendo only to allow for other companies to try and attempt their own versions throughout the years.

And no; of course there's nothing wrong about wanting your third parties in Smash...but there's nothing wrong about wanting it Nintendo only either. Only difference is the former are getting what they want anyway and the latter are met with the 'No Nintendo characters worth adding left' spiel.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If it'd been Nintendo only from the start to modern day, then I think other companies could have actually competed with Smash or at least attempted to.

The fact Mario + Sonic + Megaman + Pac-Man is such an all star line up that yeah, Sakurai theoretically DOES have the monopoly. Yes anyone can make a Smash style game, but what's going to realistically compete with that? Brawlhalla with only Rayman to it's name? Brawlout with Yooka-Laylee and the guy from Guacamelee?

No matter how impressive your roster is, four gaming icons of that magnitude easily makes any other roster look small fry in the end. No other company is likely to attempt a true competitor for Smash from here on because that's a very intimidating lineup to try and compete with. Even if Playstation All Stars had Lara Croft, Spyro, Crash and even Sora I think it'd struggle.

Stopping third parties now would be like closing the gate once the horse has bolted. You're right; it won't magically make create Smash copies now. My point was I wished it HAD stayed Nintendo only to allow for other companies to try and attempt their own versions throughout the years.
I think this is still reaching too far. There was almost a decade between Smash 64 and Brawl, where any company was completely free to make their own Smash. And another few years between Brawl and 4, where we got the big four you mentioned.

I don't think we'd get a good Smash clone regardless of which characters Nintendo added. All the evidence we have suggests otherwise.

And no; of course there's nothing wrong about wanting your third parties in Smash...but there's nothing wrong about wanting it Nintendo only either. Only difference is the former are getting what they want anyway and the latter are met with the 'No Nintendo characters worth adding left' spiel.
Sure, but for the former, you want more content for yourself. For the latter, you want less for other people.

I just think the first one is a healthier mindset.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think this is still reaching too far. There was almost a decade between Smash 64 and Brawl, where any company was completely free to make their own Smash. And another few years between Brawl and 4, where we got the big four you mentioned.

I don't think we'd get a good Smash clone regardless of which characters Nintendo added. All the evidence we have suggests otherwise.

Sure, but for the former, you want more content for yourself. For the latter, you want less for other people.

I just think the first one is a healthier mindset.
Companies were making their own crossovers long before Smash anyway. Capcom Vs. anyone? Stuff like Project X Zone or Sega Superstar Whatever are no less valid as crossovers just because they're not platform fighters like Smash. There's even a mobile crossover game in Sega Heroes.

D

Deleted member

Regarding 3rd parties on Smash, people wanted them since Melee. Maybe people here are to young to remember **** like the EGM april's fool joke regarding Sonic in Melee that fooled many into trying to beat 20 opponents in cruel smash to unlock them.

I dont really have anything to say if you dont want 3rd parties in Smash other than thats ok, but understand that those we like them its due to liking the fact that we can have **** like Link and Cloud beating the **** of each other. Thats the crossover appeal which minor characters from Nintendo, in my own opinion, will never have.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
THANK YOU!!! Someone had to say it! I didn't even knew that Persona 5 wasn't coming to Switch, but it seems logical because well, none of the other games came to Switch. I also didn't purchase Joker, because I am not fooled by this inclusion. It's even worse than with Cloud, who was the most balant Sony-character on the roster before Joker. Now I get Joker is owned by SEGA and all, but is that really what counts?

I feel this addition of Joker is just to help promote Smash to people who aren't exactly knowledgable about Smash, or care about it. Maybe win them over to play it.. maybe once or twice at their friend's place. But will it really sell a Switch console? I doubt it. It's just Sakurai having a personal bias, like many times before.

Like you, my fellow friend who names himself after a Nintendo / Smash Bros. character, I am strictly playing games on Nintendo alone. I am not interessted in investing so much money into another console, not for just one random DLC 3rd party character. At least Ryu made me wanna play the older Street Fighters games, at least Mega Man made me consider playing the older games, at least Simon Belmont made me wanna play the older games, why? Cause they are on Nintendo.

I don't like these DLC additions, clear and simple. Piranha Plant opened the door to any troll addition that simply "just works" and is a "shock vallue" character... great? Joker opens the door to whatever else, as you said, Doom Guy, Minecraft Steve, Master Chief, and what not. I do not like it either. Nintendo owned franchises got the shaft once again, just like in Smash 4. DLC will probably even be more of a 3rd party fest than the newcomer selection of Smash 4.

No, we can't convince you to change your opinion anymore than anyone advocating for exclusive Nintendo based Smash will change the minds of people who have no issue with third parties. You're allowed your subjective stance on issues... but we will call people out when their arguments lack substance or have noticeable issues.

You claim that attention to third party is taking away from the roots of Smash? What are those exactly? The original Super Smash Bros was designed as a crossover fighter at its core. Yes, it didn't contain any third parties, but it was the proof of concept that worked brilliantly and was an insane proposal for the time anyway just combining 10 different Nintendo franchises into a fighting game... And then less than a year later Sakurai was already considering including third parties once his concept had taken off and they would have made it into Melee had the timing worked out. There is no root of "Nintendo only Smash Bros" that I feel a lot of people want to lay claim too. Third parties have been in the conversation for at least 18 years worth of Smash and have been actively a part of the series for 11 years. Smash has always been conceived of as a crossover game and not necessarily just a Nintendo one.

I also feel like criticizing Piranha Plant is literally the worst thing you can do for your argument. He should be the absolute golden standard of anyone looking for more deep-diving into the Nintendo back catalogue and talking about expanding the Nintendo roster to include new and interesting picks. Piranha Plant embodies the core idea of more Nintendo in Smash to a tee, but you cast him aside for "opening the door" specifically to the type of content you and people looking for more Nintendo content so desire. It's kind of difficult to advocate for Nintendo so heavily on one hand, and then just utterly reject something absolutely so Nintendo related and makes your arguments seem just more based around personal preference than ever.

I fail to see how Nintendo owned franchises have been shafted. The base game brought us 11 new characters. 8 were Nintendo characters and 3 were third parties with two of those third parties being Echoes. It also brought us 4 new stages, 3 of which were based around Nintendo IPs, and 1 give n to Castlevania since it was a brand new series. Sakurai has specifically stated that he focused on older returning stages, and made exceptions for the new IPs in Smash and the mega success of Breath of the Wild and Odyssey. King K. Rool and Ridley didn't get stages because of that focus, not because Sakurai has some unfair bias against Nintendo characters and IPs (And what stage did people even want for Ridley? Gangplank Galleon with King K. Rool is iconic at least).

It just keeps coming down to the fact that there is so much Nintendo stuff already in Smash. I really don't understand why people think that the presence of third parties diminishes all of the great work Sakurai has done over the past 20 years of representing Nintendo. None of it goes away or means any less. It's just there's additional content to all of that stuff and arguments against it for "diluting Smash" feel terribly misguided at best and downright elitist at worst. Most of us aren't saying there isn't anything left to represent from Nintendo, but we are saying we're only going to feel the effect of diminishing returns with first party characters moving forward. Yeah, there's some Nintendo IPs not currently represented with fighters or stages, and yes there are some hype first party picks out there. But expressly because Sakurai has already done such a great job incorporating most already into the series, the well is starting to run more and more dry. If we get to the point where people are trying to argue that Mach Rider is a hype edition, then I think it's safe to say that we've moved too far from appealing to non-hardcore Smash fans. We may know and love a great many characters on here and support them, but we're likely to be the minority in that regard. This doesn't mean that first party additions won't be interesting, but when Smash has cultivated a history of escalation and major hype, they're just not going to be able to cut it no matter how many deep cuts we throw in. The first party communities aren't as strong as they used to be and public opinion on the question of Smash newcomers only shifts more and more towards third party inclusions in the polls.

That's the point I think many of us are making in regards to the limitations of the remaining first party characters. If we get a few more like Dixie Kong, Toad, Waluigi, Bandanna Dee, and Isaac... then I seriously expect that there really won't be many communities with huge bases left to rally around first parties...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom