• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Joker Announced For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Joker.jpg

Last night during The Game Awards 2018 on December 6th, it was announced that Persona 5’s Joker is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable newcomer!

Joker is sure to have come as a surprise to many of us, and supposedly this isn’t even where the surprises end, as Reggie Fils-Aimé said that all of the DLC characters will be unexpected choices at The Game Awards right after Joker was revealed. Currently nothing is known about how Joker will play, as no gameplay footage of the character has been shown yet, however what we do know is that he is part of the first challenger pack, which will contain Joker, one new stage and additional music tracks. This challenger pack will be available to purchase both on its own and as a part of the Fighters Pass, which comes with the five confirmed challenger packs and grants the buyer access to a special Mii Costume made in Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2’s likeness.

If you want to see the trailer for yourself, check out the video below!

Author’s Note: Did you see this coming? Are you excited to play as Joker? Please let us know in the comments below!

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

I've invested too many damn tears into the wait for this game to skip it; that's how Sakurai gets ya.
These days, the bad outweighs the good in everything for me. Now, ungrateful WOULD be if the game was made expressly for me and I still ******* about it, but it's not, it's made to take my money. Sakurai is not some saint from on high that we need to sing carols and hymns for, he's a man who could very well be replaced no matter how much people think he can't be. If you don't want to be shouted at, don't shout at me. I agree on nothing. Since when has the next guy loved Brawl?
If you people can't leave me alone, get me banned. It's what you want.
No one said they ever wanted to you banned or anything. These are just simple disagreements is all, it happens all the time on this site. Again, sorry if it seemed like I was penalizing you, I kind of tried not to make it seem like that while getting my points across. I do honor your opinion, but I just like seeing people value the good in these things. That's just me, but I wont argue anymore. I don't want to devolve this news post to something completely irrelevant, only for the mods to come and kick our asses, lol. I like Brawl, you like Brawl - it was my first Smash game and I have a lot of good memories with it. I'm sure you do as well, even if "the next guy" says otherwise.

Last edited:
I appreciate the logical explanation instead of just bashing me. I'm hurting because this news pretty much crushes my personal DLC hopes off the bat, and I haven't gotten anyone I want since Brawl, and I lost my mains in Smash 4 to nerfing...
Needless to say, I'm angry at this point. Maybe I'll calm after playing the game, but getting bashed won't improve the chances of that...
Thats a shame. I usually don't get my big wants, but sometimes I get a handful of characters I still love or are my favs in their series, such as Rosalina, Lucina, Cloud, Mega Man, Sonic, and a couple others.

Try to look into everyone, you're bound to find someone you'll like mixed in and don't give up hope yet (unless your character(s) were from already represented series, then I'm sorry..I know the feeling since I won't get Rex & Pyra or Medusa)

Looks like I’m gonna have to check out Persona 5 at some point since I heard a lot of good **** about it.

Can’t wait for more surprises on who the other four will be.

Last edited:
This made me curious: if Joker stole the Smash invitation, I wonder who the invitation was intended for. :dizzy:
That moment when you realize Dixie Kong could’ve finally had a chance and it was stolen by guess who? Another damn anime character!? By the end of this speculation period I might have a brain aneurysm with all the weird and mildly off-putting choices made by Nintendo. This is the time when I’m starting to think the plant that was made most likely as a joke is gonna end up being the best of dlc.

Last edited:
Okay I'm gonna set the bar reeeeeeally low for the DLC characters. For me, Smash 4's DLC characters (except Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy, who should've been in the base roster anyway) were really disappointing, so I have to accept that I'm going to be disappointed again...

I hope that Chibi-Robo is one of those "unexpected" characters Reggie is talking about, since Paper Mario is waaaaaay out of the question for Nintendo by some stupid reason...

I don't deny that Persona 5 is big, but everything but Nintendo characters... Everything but Nintendo characters...

Why do I feel like dlc will only consist of characters without spirits? Who else is ready for Steve ?

Last edited:
In the spirit of the season, I'll end my time on this thread by apologizing for my behavior yesterday. I still fully believe everything I said, nothing can heal the wounds in my heart, but I realized that this wasn't the time or the place for me to voice those feelings.

...(and really, it felt awful fighting with everyone when all's said and done.)

In the spirit of the season, I'll end my time on this thread by apologizing for my behavior yesterday. I still fully believe everything I said, nothing can heal the wounds in my heart, but I realized that this wasn't the time or the place for me to voice those feelings.

...(and really, it felt awful fighting with everyone when all's said and done.)
Wounds in your heart? It's just a video game, maybe you should take a break from Smash.

Last edited:
I've never played any Persona title, but I'm a little familiar with P5 and the characters. So seeing Joker in Smash is a little exciting for me. I just wanna know if we will only get P5 tracks, or maybe tracks from previous games, like Persona 4. Joker may not excite me as much as Persona fans do, but it makes me very excited to see who's next.

Because I don’t think it puts the bar very high for dlc.
The bar for Sm4sh DLC was all over the place. You had fan-favorite Roy, fighting game legend Ryu, and then Corrin, who nobody asked for. Plus, Persona seems to be popular enough to warrant a rep in Ultimate (I'm neutral on it personally, never played Persona but I know it has a lot of fans)
And besides, people were disappointed in the November Direct because the August one set such a high bar with five character reveals including K. Rool. So maybe having a low bar for the first of five DLC fighters is a good thing.

the main thing i'm excited about is persona 5 music in smash bros.

you'll never see it comiiiiiiiiiing

D
I will admit, I don't really care about Joker or Persona, so I just shrug after the initial "WTF" factor has subsided.
Glad for his fans though, especially DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon

Just wondering what this truly means for DLC, though, since IIRC, every major "leaker" has been off about the first DLC.
Is Sans legitimately not that far off now?

I will admit, I don't really care about Joker or Persona, so I just shrug after the initial "WTF" factor has subsided.

Just wondering what this truly means for DLC, though, since IIRC, every major "leaker" has been off about the first DLC.
Who would win?
Months of speculation, covering every base imaginable

Or

One boney boi

Last edited:
I've never played Persona, but by these first impressions of the character I predict that his moveset will be really fun to play with, if I like him enough I may add him to my mains list.

I would go NUTS if sans is in. He is my #1 wanted fighter

It doesn't get more "literally who?" than this.

I truly wonder when we'll start seeing this "must-have" DLC Nintendo talked about, because we've seen two of the six DLC characters for this game so far and both of them are trash.

Last edited:
Okay I'm gonna set the bar reeeeeeally low for the DLC characters. For me, Smash 4's DLC characters (except Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy, who should've been in the base roster anyway) were really disappointing, so I have to accept that I'm going to be disappointed again...

I hope that Chibi-Robo is one of those "unexpected" characters Reggie is talking about, since Paper Mario is waaaaaay out of the question for Nintendo by some stupid reason...

I don't deny that Persona 5 is big, but everything but Nintendo characters... Everything but Nintendo characters...
I mean, we already got P Plant.

People like to pretend that it's not DLC since it'd not on the Fighters Pass, but it's still a DLC character.

Also, there's no evidence showing that Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were ever planned for Smash 4's base roster. They most likely really were created solely as DLC.

I mean, we already got P Plant.

People like to pretend that it's not DLC since it'd not on the Fighters Pass, but it's still a DLC character.

Also, there's no evidence showing that Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were ever planned for Smash 4's base roster. They most likely really were created solely as DLC.
Piranha Plant was intended to be in the base roster, since its data was there prelaunch. It is marketed as a free DLC though.

Never said that. What I meant was that Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy should've been in the base roster (as many players wanted them to be). They ended up as DLC of course. (Though they were characters from other games in the series.)

Considering Mewtwo’s track record in these games, I’d be surprised if he wasn’t planned to be in the base roster, as the only games he wasn’t in, he was at least planned at some point or discussed.

Congrats for everyone who wanted him! As for me! I'm not looking forward to Joker at freakin all!!!

He's another anime swordsmen who won't be any different form the other one trillion Anime swordmen Ultimate has in the game and from what I read from a Smashboards page!!!
Whats with people talking about Joker with so much negativity, and while being completely based on assumptions on a character they clearly have not even looked into in the slightest? He doesn't even use a sword.........at most he will have a dagger/gun.

I am definitely noticing a trend on the ones who are most displeased by his appearance though. Normally its the ones who want master chief/steve/doom guy/fallout/skyrim/cuphead, which leads me to believe its people who just want western characters unhappy its a Japanese character, or "generic anime" as they lovely call any character that comes from Japan. Course, its not everyone but seems to be the most of what I've seen, as the more JRPG player base knows who he is and are happy.

TL:DR : Think a lot of non-Japanese fans are mad that they like a Japanese game that has Japanese IP's.

Last edited:
I thought it was weird that they chose a character from a playstation exclusive game to add to a nintendo exclusive

Whats with people talking about Joker with so much negativity, and while being completely based on assumptions on a character they clearly have not even looked into in the slightest? He doesn't even use a sword.........at most he will have a dagger/gun.

I am definitely noticing a trend on the ones who are most displeased by his appearance though. Normally its the ones who want master chief/steve/doom guy/fallout/skyrim/cuphead, which leads me to believe its people who just want western characters unhappy its a Japanese character, or "generic anime" as they lovely call any character that comes from Japan. Course, its not everyone but seems to be the most of what I've seen, as the more JRPG player base knows who he is and are happy.

TL:DR : Think a lot of non-Japanese fans are mad that they like a Japanese game that has Japanese IP's.
I don’t even like any of the characters you listed. But all I know is that I break upon seeing the most anime thing you could ever get in smash. I just want something that actually makes me say: wow, finally! (X character) got in!

If Shovel Knight didn’t happen, I don’t expect Sans to either. Plus if they were gonna choose a character from Undertale I’d rather a good one,

D
If Shovel Knight didn’t happen, I don’t expect Sans to either.
I really hate this line of thinking.
By that very same logic, just because Bomberman didn't happen, Joker shouldn't have.

One completely unrelated character not making the cut doesn't mean jack for someone else.
Especially when situations are very different between base roster and DLC.

If Shovel Knight didn’t happen, I don’t expect Sans to either. Plus if they were gonna choose a character from Undertale I’d rather a good one,
Yeah I'm honestly with Golden here, one thing should not affect another, Shovel Knight being an Assist Trophy shouldn't affect other indies getting in just because his game made a splash. In fact I'd argue Undertale has made a bigger impact as a whole.

I really hate this line of thinking.
By that very same logic, just because Bomberman didn't happen, Joker shouldn't have.

One completely unrelated character not making the cut doesn't mean jack for someone else.
Especially when situations are very different between base roster and DLC.
Yeah I'm honestly with Golden here, one thing should not affect another, Shovel Knight being an Assist Trophy shouldn't affect other indies getting in just because his game made a splash. In fact I'd argue Undertale has made a bigger impact as a whole.
Boys, boys. You're forgetting 1 key detail.

I don't really care.

Top Bottom