• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Joker Announced For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Joker.jpg

Last night during The Game Awards 2018 on December 6th, it was announced that Persona 5’s Joker is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable newcomer!

Joker is sure to have come as a surprise to many of us, and supposedly this isn’t even where the surprises end, as Reggie Fils-Aimé said that all of the DLC characters will be unexpected choices at The Game Awards right after Joker was revealed. Currently nothing is known about how Joker will play, as no gameplay footage of the character has been shown yet, however what we do know is that he is part of the first challenger pack, which will contain Joker, one new stage and additional music tracks. This challenger pack will be available to purchase both on its own and as a part of the Fighters Pass, which comes with the five confirmed challenger packs and grants the buyer access to a special Mii Costume made in Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2’s likeness.

If you want to see the trailer for yourself, check out the video below!

Author’s Note: Did you see this coming? Are you excited to play as Joker? Please let us know in the comments below!

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

Woo! Joker was probably the character I wanted the most, but simultaneously thought was never going to happen. So excited!

Last edited:
I was thinking some kinda Nintendo rep but WTF. I never heard of the game other then people talking about it. But congrats to all those fans who wanted him

Protip: If you're planning on taking a drink every time someone in these comments quotes Morgana or says they didn't see this coming:

Please don't. You'll wake up hours from now in the hospital.

Last edited:
Initially I did want between Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei), Yu Narukami (Persona 4) or Joker (Persona 5) as the Atlus Rep.

But other than that, I am satisfied with Joker's inclusion, considering how successful the Persona 5 game was.

Although I'm kinda butthurt about it Jack Frost died for this the pain will ease real quick, especially since it makes a lot of sense.
Persona is still part of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, a franchise that, in terms of video games, mainly got its start on Nintendo. Although technically the whole damn thing started as a novel. So when can we get Lord of the Rings characters in? :p
Plus, although I wouldn't consider Joker to be an icon, he is the one who brought the Persona series to mainstream popularity. It ain't like Atlus is gonna drop him either when Persona 6 comes out, as they give love to... ALMOST all of the Persona characters. seriously when are we getting Persona 1 and 2 Dancing All Night huh?

This completely erases the disappointment I had at the base game newcomers and how Shantae will never be playable.

I ****ing love P5.

Never played persona but liked what I’ve seen from this.

Having thieves literally steal the show and crash the party is great. Made the reveal so much better. I love shocking reveals so I can’t wait for more

Nintendo logic: We can't please everyone, so let's only aim for characters that 2% of people wanted....and watch our asshole fans eat it up anyway! >:D

I'm gonna stop giving Nintendo money anymore at this rate. And I live for Nintendo. What do I live for now?

Nintendo logic: We can't please everyone, so let's only aim for characters that 2% of people wanted....and watch our ******* fans eat it up anyway! >:D

I'm gonna stop giving Nintendo money anymore at this rate. And I live for Nintendo. What do I live for now?
Yeah, how dare Nintendo surprise fans with something unexpected, after creating an entire game that catered largely to the fanbase's requests.

Yeah, how dare Nintendo surprise fans with something unexpected, after creating an entire game that catered largely to the fanbase's requests.
TWO new characters that were actually seriously wanted. Hell, people got pissed over Isabelle, but we forgot that.
I haven't been happy with the new characters since BRAWL. Sakurai is a false god, imo.

Also, who the hell wanted Incineroar, Piranha Plant, and Richter?? Yeah, I know a minority did, but I for one think Smash sucks for catering primarily to the minority now.

Nintendo logic: We can't please everyone, so let's only aim for characters that 2% of people wanted....and watch our ******* fans eat it up anyway! >:D

2%...are you serious. You do know that Persona 5 was on many peoples Top Games of 2017 list, generally within their Top 5, that there WAS a pretty big support thread for Joker here on Smashboards, & was more importantly nominated for Game of the Year for 2017...yet to you, despite of all this, you consider him a character for the minority. You really don't know anything about business do you.

Last edited:
TWO new characters that were actually seriously wanted. Hell, people got pissed over Isabelle, but we forgot that.
I haven't been happy with the new characters since BRAWL. Sakurai is a false god, imo.

Also, who the hell wanted Incineroar, Piranha Plant, and Richter?? Yeah, I know a minority did, but I for one think Smash sucks for catering primarily to the minority now.
Hell, I wanted Incineroar! I personally found more potential in him than other gen 7 reps. He wasn't my most wanted - not even close - but I thought the wrestler archetype was an interesting thing for Smash. But I'm not talking strictly characters: some people wanted a story mode, World of Light; some people though Smash was too slow, Ultimate became fast paced; some people wanted more game modes, crew battles, tourneys, iron man mode (oh my); people wanted new content, Spirits; some people hated stages for several reasons or other, hazard switch and Battlefield forms. Smash Bros. isn't just about the characters - it's the experience as well. Hell, people wanted old favorites back like Wolf and IC, and they said "let's bring back every single character that's ever existed in the series". Look, I'll be honest, I thought Isabelle and Piranha Plant were lame - there's a difference between disliking something and being ungrateful - but guess what, their inclusions make Smash Bros more unique. I learn to forget about my distastes and realize that Smash is Smash - no matter what characters or content is in the game, weather I like them or not, I still have a HELL of a fun time playing Smash Bros. as a whole. Heck, I already have like 12 hours on Ultimate already (I called in sick to work today, lol). There's no shame in disliking something, but for those who are ungrateful, can they at least show dignity to the things they actually enjoy about the game? It's like the dude I responded to said, you can't please everyone... I've not seen a single of my most wanted characters in Smash, but I've somehow managed to fall in love with the newcomers in this game - even Isabelle. If other people can't see it that way, than I think that's a real shame. Bashing the entire game and/or company behind it, when really all that anger is because someone doesn't like ONE character. C'mon...

Enjoy Smash for what it is and what it offers. Don't let silly things like this prevent you from appreciating all that we have. If you don't appreciate it, than that's a subjective argument - not a fact.

Edit: Wow, this post is long. Sorry for the read

Last edited:
2%...are you serious. You do know that Persona 5 was on many peoples Top Games of 2017 list, generally within their Top 5, that there WAS a pretty big support thread for Joker here on Smashboard, & was more importantly was nominated for Game of the Year for 2017...yet to you, despite of all this, you consider him a character for the minority. You really don't know anything about business do you.
If it was so huge, why was it surprising to people? Yeah, once a character is in it's somehow something that "belongs" in Smash. Only about 40% of the roster belongs there, if you ask me. Smash is a goddamn joke ever since Namco got involved.

If it was so huge, why was it surprising to people? Yeah, once a character is in it's somehow something that "belongs" in Smash. Only about 40% of the roster belongs there, if you ask me. Smash is a goddamn joke ever since Namco got involved.
In my opinion, Smash has only gotten better after Namco's involvment

Last edited:
Hell, I wanted Incineroar! I personally found more potential in him than other gen 7 reps. He wasn't my most wanted - not even close - but I thought the wrestler archetype was an interesting thing for Smash. But I'm not talking strictly characters: some people wanted a story mode, World of Light; some people though Smash was too slow, Ultimate became fast paced; some people wanted more game modes, crew battles, tourneys, iron man mode (oh my); people wanted new content, Spirits; some people hated stages for several reasons or other, hazard switch and Battlefield forms. Smash Bros. isn't just about the characters - it's the experience as well. Hell, people wanted old favorites back like Wolf and IC, and they said "let's bring back every single character that's ever existed in the series". Look, I'll be honest, I thought Isabelle and Piranha Plant were lame - there's a difference between disliking something and being ungrateful - but guess what, their inclusions make Smash Bros more unique. I learn to forget about my distastes and realize that Smash is Smash - no matter what characters or content is in the game, weather I like them or not, I still have a HELL of a fun time playing Smash Bros. as a whole. Heck, I already have like 12 hours on Ultimate already (I called in sick to work today, lol). There's no shame in disliking something, but for those who are ungrateful, can they at least show dignity to the things they actually enjoy about the game? It's like the dude I responded to said, you can't please everyone... I've not seen a single of my most wanted characters in Smash, but I've somehow managed to fall in love with the newcomers in this game - even Isabelle. If other people can't see it that way, than I think that's a real shame. Bashing the entire game and/or company behind it, when really all that anger is because someone doesn't like ONE character. C'mon...

Enjoy Smash for what it is and what it offers. Don't let silly things like this prevent you from appreciating all that we have. If you don't appreciate it, than that's a subjective argument - not a fact.

Edit: Wow, this post is long. Sorry for the read
I'm paying money. We all are. Enough with the ****ing ungrateful line. If you pay for a pizza and get delivered a turkey dinner, but you don't want turkey, you don't even LIKE turkey, are you ungrateful because they ****ed up your order? I don't care how much work went in.

I couldn't enjoy Smash 4 because of the roster. So, I know Ultimate will be the same. I loved Brawl, but Brawl isn't enough anymore, and Ultimate isn't Brawl, or even Brawl 2.

Uh..that's incorrect, way more then 2% wanted and like that Joker is in Super Smash Bros. The only reason you didn't see a ton of requests for him is for the same reason you didn't see a ton of requests for Cloud during Smash 4 or Brawl, no one saw him as particularly likely due to minimal Nintendo appearances and people that openly requested or hoped for him tended to get shut down with 'he's not likely due to PlayStation' or some such thing.

Uh..that's incorrect, way more then 2% wanted and like that Joker is in Super Smash Bros. The only reason you didn't see a ton of requests for him is for the same reason you didn't see a ton of requests for Cloud during Smash 4 or Brawl, no one saw him as particularly likely due to minimal Nintendo appearances and people that openly requested or hoped for him tended to get shut down with 'he's not likely due to PlayStation' or some such thing.
I appreciate the logical explanation instead of just bashing me. I'm hurting because this news pretty much crushes my personal DLC hopes off the bat, and I haven't gotten anyone I want since Brawl, and I lost my mains in Smash 4 to nerfing...
Needless to say, I'm angry at this point. Maybe I'll calm after playing the game, but getting bashed won't improve the chances of that...

Last edited:
Although I'm kinda butthurt about it Jack Frost died for this the pain will ease real quick, especially since it makes a lot of sense.
Persona is still part of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, a franchise that, in terms of video games, mainly got its start on Nintendo. Although technically the whole damn thing started as a novel. So when can we get Lord of the Rings characters in? :p
Plus, although I wouldn't consider Joker to be an icon, he is the one who brought the Persona series to mainstream popularity. It ain't like Atlus is gonna drop him either when Persona 6 comes out, as they give love to... ALMOST all of the Persona characters. seriously when are we getting Persona 1 and 2 Dancing All Night huh?
Here's hoping we can get a remastered P1 and P2 on the same standards as P5 someday on ps4....lol

I'm paying money. We all are. Enough with the ****ing ungrateful line. If you pay for a pizza and get delivered a turkey dinner, but you don't want turkey, you don't even LIKE turkey, are you ungrateful because they ****ed up your order? I don't care how much work went in.

I couldn't enjoy Smash 4 because of the roster. So, I know Ultimate will be the same. I loved Brawl, but Brawl isn't enough anymore, and Ultimate isn't Brawl, or even Brawl 2.
Sooo, if I order a pizza and get a turkey dinner, that would indeed be a **** up by someone, because clearly they got my order wrong. But how does that apply here? Are you implying that they some how ****ed up with something just because they're adding content that you yourself aren't asking for? A video game isn't something you order with your own personal sides or spices. No one went to Nintendo and ordered a new Smash Bros. game with X characters, stages or content - this ain't a restaurant. And with your logic it's like Nintendo promising a new Smash Bros. game, but having it released as a card game instead - THAT certainly would be ****ing up the order. That is, of course, if I'm getting your point clear here.

I mean, out of all the new features in this game that you didn't expect, can't you tell me that there's at least SOMETHING you appreciate? I don't want to sound like I'm penalizing you for your opinion, but then again this is a video game - you're not required to buy this. Of course you pay money, but who in their right mind would pay for something they don't want? If Smash Ultimate isn't looking good for you, then that's fine - don't get it. There's nothing here that was done incorrectly, and certainly no orders were ****ed here. It's like I said, it's OK to dislike, but there's no need to be ungrateful. And no, it doesn't matter if the phrase "ungrateful" is an over saturated card, that doesn't devalue the fact that people are indeed ungrateful. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing you - sorry on my part if you feel that way. But hey, I love Brawl as much as the next guy - I hope we can at least agree on that. End of discussion for me.

Last edited:
If it was so huge, why was it surprising to people?
Because, while many people wanted Joker in Smash, they all knew it was just a pipe dream. And, the fact that if you were one watchin the Game Awards live, nobody knew it was a Smash Ultimate Trailer until Joker flipped the letter around, which then resulted in a sudden emotion-filled eruption for basically all of the live viewers that were into Smash &/or Persona.

Last edited:
Sooo, if I order a pizza and get a turkey dinner, that would indeed be a **** up by someone, because clearly they got my order wrong. But how does that apply here? Are you implying that they some how ****ed up with something just because they're adding content that you yourself aren't asking for? A video game isn't something you order with your own personal sides or spices. No one went to Nintendo and ordered a new Smash Bros. game with X characters, stages or content - this ain't a restaurant. And with your logic it's like Nintendo promising a new Smash Bros. game, but having it released as a card game instead - THAT certainly would be ****ing up the order. That is, of course, if I'm getting your point clear here.

I mean, out of all the new features in this game that you didn't expect, can't you tell me that there's at least SOMETHING you appreciate? I don't want to sound like I'm penalizing you for your opinion, but then again this is a video game - you're not required to buy this. Of course you pay money, but who in their right mind would pay for something they don't want? If Smash Ultimate isn't looking good for you, then that's fine - don't get it. There's nothing here that was done incorrectly, and certainly no orders were ****ed here. It's like I said, it's OK to dislike, but there's no need to be ungrateful. And no, it doesn't matter if the phrase "ungrateful" is an over saturated card, that doesn't devalue the fact that people are indeed ungrateful. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing you - sorry on my part if you feel that way. But hey, I love Brawl as much as the next guy - I hope we can at least agree on that. End of discussion for me.
I've invested too many damn tears into the wait for this game to skip it; that's how Sakurai gets ya.
These days, the bad outweighs the good in everything for me. Now, ungrateful WOULD be if the game was made expressly for me and I still ******* about it, but it's not, it's made to take my money. Sakurai is not some saint from on high that we need to sing carols and hymns for, he's a man who could very well be replaced no matter how much people think he can't be. If you don't want to be shouted at, don't shout at me. I agree on nothing. Since when has the next guy loved Brawl?
If you people can't leave me alone, get me banned. It's what you want.

Top Bottom