• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Joining The Fight Late

my name is P S Y

Smash Rookie
I know very few people actually read these, but I suppose it's a decent way to start, even if all it'll be good for is stalking material for the future or something that I myself can look back on at some point.
Anyways, my name is P S Y and I'm a university student from Germany, who basically only just got into Smash.

Unlike most people (that stayed with the game), I never played 64 and played Melee for the first time on Dolphin about two years ago.
My story begins with Brawl, which I played at a friends house when I was about 9. It was the first time that I had heard of Smash and many characters in its roster. I had played Pokémon from an early age, played DS Mario Games from time to time and had watched a friend play The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. But all characters that were not from any of those games (even ones like Kirby or Sonic), I saw for the first time then and there. I did not play Brawl often, but I do remember enjoying it a lot. Just not enough to ever buy it or any previous Smash games. When Smash 4 came out, I did not have a Wii U at the time, but was again able to play the game at a friends house, on his Wii U. Having grown older, I had played more games and recognized more faces and having more friends actually interested in the game, I actually played it a lot more than Brawl, but still I did not buy the game myself. But, at the moment of writing this, Smash 4 is still the Smash game, that I have put the most time in. When we've playing Smash 4 for a while now, I stumbled upon a smash-like game on YouTube: Rivals of Aether. I went ahead and bought it and over the last 2 and a half years, I have put some decent time into it and actually managed to learn some advanced techniques (though they are significantly easier than in Smash). Though over time, I developed a bit of a love-hate relationship with that game, which made me turn away from it for a while.
Then, Smash Ultimate was announced and teased. I didn't have any intention on buying a Switch yet, though it did spark my interest in playing Smash on a larger scale than anything had before. I was hyped when the game came out and I was able to play it, on a friends couch (again). But my hype was not limited to Ultimate. Having watched the documentary, as well as a few random matches of Melee before, I knew that it was still the biggest Smash Game out there and I decided, that I want in on that. So I ordered a Gamecube Controller + Adapter and played a couple of rounds of Melee on Dolphin, then quickly decided to buy a physical copy of the game, as I still had a Wii from back in the day. We have now reached the very recent past. I have, basically, just finished unlocking all characters and stages (sans Final Destination) on Melee and started putting in my first hours against AI opponents.
From the rather limited testing, that I did so far, I feel most comfortable and have the most fun with Kirby, who I for now consider my main (and yes, I am aware that he is one of, if not the worst characters in the game (but I play on PAL, so he is buffed :p)), though I would be surprised if that does not change in the future.
I'm also currently working towards buying a Switch + Ultimate and am trying to find a cheap second-hand copy of Brawl, if for nothing but a few hours of nostalgia fun. (But we'll see..)

Now that I have outted myself as a scrub, I'll say that I do actually plan on going to tournaments (if there were any close by). I enjoy competitive environments and diving into the deeper, more advanced levels of games. I have played multiple games on a competitive level before (Pokémon Singles, VGC & TCG as well Yu-Gi-Oh! and Cardfight!! Vanguard), though always had a make-scrub-stuff-as-competitive-as-possible type of mindset, which might explain the choice of Kirby, and will also never get me anywhere in the long run. And I am fully aware & ok with that. After all, tournaments are also a place to have fun. :)
Anyways, this is basically the reason, why I joined Smashboards: learning. Especially when it comes to learning Kirby (or most other low tier characters I imagine), this (I've found so far) seems to be the best resource to find what I am looking for. But also, I hope to be able to use this page as a way to get to know players that are in similar situations or geographical places with whom I can practice or something. :)

I am really looking forward, to see how this will turn out for me, as I am still at the very beginning of my Smash journey and all the other games, that I played or still play beyond a casual level are solely of strategic nature and I never even tried myself at playing a game that requires physical skill.

Thanks to everyone, who, for some reason, actually read through this monstrosity of an Introduction Post. Give yourself pat on the back!

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
Greetings! Welcome aboard fellow smash fan. I hope you enjoy your time here. There's lots of cool people on here and it's definitely a good platform for learning. I respect a person who plays a low tier because they love the character. Always have always will. Also, if you're looking for another platform to learn and meet people for particular character or region info check out smashcords.com. Again, welcome. I hope to see you around the boards.

DrakeekarD

Smash Rookie
Welcome P S Y. I am kind of in the same situation as far as wanting to go to tournaments. Not sure of any that are done in the Southern Idaho area.

I know very few people actually read these, but I suppose it's a decent way to start, even if all it'll be good for is stalking material for the future or something that I myself can look back on at some point.
Anyways, my name is P S Y and I'm a university student from Germany, who basically only just got into Smash.

Unlike most people (that stayed with the game), I never played 64 and played Melee for the first time on Dolphin about two years ago.
My story begins with Brawl, which I played at a friends house when I was about 9. It was the first time that I had heard of Smash and many characters in its roster. I had played Pokémon from an early age, played DS Mario Games from time to time and had watched a friend play The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. But all characters that were not from any of those games (even ones like Kirby or Sonic), I saw for the first time then and there. I did not play Brawl often, but I do remember enjoying it a lot. Just not enough to ever buy it or any previous Smash games. When Smash 4 came out, I did not have a Wii U at the time, but was again able to play the game at a friends house, on his Wii U. Having grown older, I had played more games and recognized more faces and having more friends actually interested in the game, I actually played it a lot more than Brawl, but still I did not buy the game myself. But, at the moment of writing this, Smash 4 is still the Smash game, that I have put the most time in. When we've playing Smash 4 for a while now, I stumbled upon a smash-like game on YouTube: Rivals of Aether. I went ahead and bought it and over the last 2 and a half years, I have put some decent time into it and actually managed to learn some advanced techniques (though they are significantly easier than in Smash). Though over time, I developed a bit of a love-hate relationship with that game, which made me turn away from it for a while.
Then, Smash Ultimate was announced and teased. I didn't have any intention on buying a Switch yet, though it did spark my interest in playing Smash on a larger scale than anything had before. I was hyped when the game came out and I was able to play it, on a friends couch (again). But my hype was not limited to Ultimate. Having watched the documentary, as well as a few random matches of Melee before, I knew that it was still the biggest Smash Game out there and I decided, that I want in on that. So I ordered a Gamecube Controller + Adapter and played a couple of rounds of Melee on Dolphin, then quickly decided to buy a physical copy of the game, as I still had a Wii from back in the day. We have now reached the very recent past. I have, basically, just finished unlocking all characters and stages (sans Final Destination) on Melee and started putting in my first hours against AI opponents.
From the rather limited testing, that I did so far, I feel most comfortable and have the most fun with Kirby, who I for now consider my main (and yes, I am aware that he is one of, if not the worst characters in the game (but I play on PAL, so he is buffed :p)), though I would be surprised if that does not change in the future.
I'm also currently working towards buying a Switch + Ultimate and am trying to find a cheap second-hand copy of Brawl, if for nothing but a few hours of nostalgia fun. (But we'll see..)

Now that I have outted myself as a scrub, I'll say that I do actually plan on going to tournaments (if there were any close by). I enjoy competitive environments and diving into the deeper, more advanced levels of games. I have played multiple games on a competitive level before (Pokémon Singles, VGC & TCG as well Yu-Gi-Oh! and Cardfight!! Vanguard), though always had a make-scrub-stuff-as-competitive-as-possible type of mindset, which might explain the choice of Kirby, and will also never get me anywhere in the long run. And I am fully aware & ok with that. After all, tournaments are also a place to have fun. :)
Anyways, this is basically the reason, why I joined Smashboards: learning. Especially when it comes to learning Kirby (or most other low tier characters I imagine), this (I've found so far) seems to be the best resource to find what I am looking for. But also, I hope to be able to use this page as a way to get to know players that are in similar situations or geographical places with whom I can practice or something. :)

I am really looking forward, to see how this will turn out for me, as I am still at the very beginning of my Smash journey and all the other games, that I played or still play beyond a casual level are solely of strategic nature and I never even tried myself at playing a game that requires physical skill.

Thanks to everyone, who, for some reason, actually read through this monstrosity of an Introduction Post. Give yourself pat on the back!
Hi PSY, welcome! :kirby:

Smashboards is indeed a great place to learn, i hope you'll find what you're looking for here.

I also wish you all the best in your journey to Smash Ultimate!

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Welcome to

Click here for all discussion about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Click here to find out if there's a scene in your area.

Check out Premium for added features and fun.

Click here for the Forum Directory.

For online matches try one of the following links:
Check out the respective character boards for helpful tips.
Character guides can be found here.

Before you post please check out the Global Rules.

Keep up to date with the latest news here.
Light House is for general gaming discussions.
Check out the Pool Room to talk about Smash, life, sports, or whatever is on your mind.
Click here or
here to socialize and have fun.

If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly staff members. If you have site related questions, you can post them in this thread.

Props: Made by @WolfieXVII @Trieste SP @ Cyn Cyn and @Hong

:starman:Name changes :starman: Bigger signature :starman:
:starman: Post backgrounds
:starman:
:starman:Enjoy Premium-exclusive forum:starman:
:starman:Support the Smash community and sign up today!:starman:

Top Bottom