• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jiggs Matchup

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Mewtwo vs Jiggs

I want to start off this thread with a video of two matches I played with my friend about two months ago. This is before I really got into mewtwo, so I know there are a lot of simple mistakes made in this video. However there are some things I'd like to point out and I'm sure you all will find things to do and not do in this video, and then we'll have a better idea of how to play this matchup.

http://youtu.be/oEYepdsqFQE

Some things before we even start:

I was really uncomfortable with teleporting to the edge back when I recorded this so if I teleport on stage and get bodied that's why. I plan on getting the stall down as well as getting comfortable picking the right angle to sweetspot the ledge, as well as the ledge AIs to combat this problem. Unlike fast characters in this game, I think slow characters should have too much trouble edge gaurding mewtwo while he still has his dj and teleport, I think that recovery should be free for mewtwo in those matchups.

My djc tech was still pretty awful at this time, so you'll see me miss l-cancels and screw up the timing so my fairs float and other bad stuff. I'm working on it. XD

I really don't know the best way to punish rest still, and all the punishes in this are terrible. And if I run up to her and jab, that's me trying to charge a smash attack. Sometimes when I do that I jab, not sure why.

And for the jiggs, he's actually really good at jiggs, who's not his main, but he completely shrecks my fox as jiggs if I'm slightly off that day. He doesn't have as much experience vs floaties, but he's still quite good.

Ok, now that the player specific stuff is out of the way, onto the matchup.

I'll start off with some times stamps, with notable information.

Game 1

0:18 Jiggs is at only 22%, after a fresh grab bthrow, I have enough time to charge shadow ball to about 1/3rd or even a 1/2 because of her slow speed. Though in the clip I spend a lot of it dash dancing, expecting her to get our of hitstun faster. If it turns out that having a fully charged shadow ball is quite good in this matchup, that might be something worth knowing.

Just afterwards I try just charging and the ball is almost complete. I think about 2 bthrows is a full shadow ball if you do nothing but charge it after the bthrow. Still not sure if that's better than trying to dthrow or uthrow. Fthrow still trash XD.

0:29 Tilts seem to wall out a jiggs who's hanging around in upward angled ftilts range pretty well, forcing her to change her spacing.

0:45 Nair seems like a good punishment for her spacing too close to you, but it's got no 'priority' compared to jiggs nair or fair or bair so I don't really suggest it out of neutral against someone quite careful. Afterwards I prolly could have tech chased with a dj NIL. I believe tech in place and tech in and away could be covered on the platform due to mewtwo's arm length. Other options include two dash wavedashes to a utilt or uair. I think that I could have gotten there on time if I had known the nair would even lead to that techchase.

1:18 I think three pummels uthrow woulda killed for certain but I wanted to see if bthrow would kill from there, and I'm not sure if that's proper DI.

1:28 Starting to really like dropping down on top of jiggs with that low forward hitbox. Her fair bair and nair don't really cover her forehead, so If you drop that nair on top of her I think it's kinda safe. Better than poking with bairs probably because you can get more off of a nair, though I guess shbawds are prolly safer in neutral. It's likely that a mixture will come to your aid in this matchup, since the disjoint on your bair at least kind of rivals jigg's.

2:15 Because mewtwo likes to kill off the top vs floaties, he'll get a lot of free fully charged shadowballs, which is super cool and not 70:30 or 65:45 doomsday matchups like I've heard- at least, imo.

2:28 When a slow character is back that far, take teh edge and ledge AI back or stall. Don't let this happen to you.

2:57 This part right here I think shows the silver lining to this matchup. Jiggs double jump is about as tall as mewtwo's bair's height - which means she can't escape so easily. It's also very wide so her air control jukes aren't very helpful. Also uair is even taller though it's not as wide. Together I think it is feasible to get that first hit on jiggs and then wall of pain jiggs to death.

3:03 When mewtwo burns his double jump, I believe that you can fast fall and air control back to the stage, do that technique just the same as when you up-b diagonally into a wall as fox, but as mewtwo. Since mewtwo's up b is so fast, it appears as if the teleport was shortened in some way. throw jiggs off or whatever, then go out and hit her.

If I had teleported with an angle slightly lower (risky on this stage, and a reason it might be good to decide not to go here against a character like jiggs who's unlikely to die to the confusion trick) I would have come out of teleport just above the very edge of the stage. Then I would have my jump and my dj left, and be ready to hit her again.

Alternatively, I could have just dj'd and then hit her with another move, then tp in'g to the ledge, and then just bair or uair the jiggs.

Doing this over and over has to be done until you can land a kill move on them either by chasing them off screen or building percent because of pound. I think it's possible that mewtwo could keep up this edge gaurd until it's successful, but maybe I'm just overly hopeful...

Game 2

3:19 Even at low percents, uthrow sends mewtwo waaay too far for jiggs to follow up, though I do have trouble coming down in this match spamming dair cuz I'm butts when nair was working ok (when spaced very very carefully)

4:18 If mewtwo hits that tippy tip tipper spacing, I believe it out 'prioritizes' pound. Basically I think it's safe to use ftilt in this situation, and it would set up for the bair train off stage I think.

4:25 I'm starting to think part of this matchup will really depend on you being able to hit jiggs while she's off screen. Does anyone know if that wonk hitbox of uair that sends people back hits harder than bair weak/strong? Might be a good idea to try and finish with that instead of bair, if it's stronger.

The rest doesn't require time stamps.

Basically, I think the edge gaurding guidelines (not really a flow chart yet) will be

go out(full hop) facing backwards to where if puff will be if she just air controls towards you after being hit off,
if she is too high and you have to spend the dj, spend it and uair ->bair, tp back
if she's in range, uair bair, dj(wait a few frames for a bit of lift)bair tp back
if she fast falls and you're too high, drift down and or dj (wait a few frames for a bit of lift) bair drift tp back

If you end up on the ledge and she's approaching just ledge hop bair or uair then then go out again.

Aaaand that's basically everything I have to say. I don't really know how to concisely put all this, so I little help would be awesome.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
You need to be patitent and let jiggs burn some of her jumps when edgeguarding. The best thing to do is wait until she's running out of jumps and then bait her into using her remaining jumps by feinting an offstage attack. Once she can only use pound or drift back to stage you should get a free fully charged SB or smash attack off. Try to use the charged SB for edgeguards instead of in neutral and remember to count jigglypuff's jumps.

Something really useful to know in this MU is that your roll starts asap when charging SB. Since your roll is so huge rolling away from jiggs should be pretty safe especially if you have center stage. A fully charged SB can only be clanged by puffs fsmash, it will beat out all of puffs other attacks including her aerials unless it has staled completely and puffs aerials havent (which probably wont happen). Try to always have a charged SB in hand as it pressures the opponent.

The best way to rack up damage is from under her with upairs, uptilts and bairs. Remember that bair hits pretty high above your tail so if jiggs is behind and above you or on a platform you can get a SH rising bair or a DJC bair depending on the situation. I think it's important to really familiarize yourself with the bair hitbox part that hits the farthest from mewtwo. In the video below you can see just how much range it has at 4:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rezYqVlsWTQ
Hitting jiggs from under her with this move while being able to drift or DJC -> shield is probably the safest way to poke her. I suppose you can also throw baby SB so that you force her to throw out an aerial and jump just to get under her.
Upair hits really hard if you get the sweetspot, it is probably the best kill move to use offstage since it comes out quick and hits above you.

Mewtwo shouldnt really have a problem when getting stuck in shield since you have a huge roll and teleport OoS. You can probably do a small WD OoS if you want to push your way into center stage. Your best counter pick in this MU is probably PS.

I havent really experimented with rest punishes but it would vary on her %. To rack up damage i assume it would be dair -> dtilt -> ect. Possibly uptilt or ftilt if they didnt DI away or SB if they did DI away. Remember dair has a sweetspot (16%) on the foot and a sourspot (14%) on his stomach.

Last edited:

Church NEOH

Worst Player in NEOH
Just a few things I saw:

- You only went to the ledge once when you were recovering high, making it easy for the Jiggs to rest you from your recovery. If you go to ledge, you can teleport stall and get to a place where she can't reach you due to her low mobility, such as the top platform.

- One death that you had on FoD was when Jiggs up-aired you about 3-4 times. Instead of teleporting away or DI-ing away, you tried coming down with down-airs. (edit: Also, don't use nairs either. Only works if they whiff because nairs priority is so low. I recommend just getting the hell out of there.)

- As far as rest punishes go, I'm not sure what's guaranteed, but I don't think a charged smash attack or shadowball is the way to go at low %. I think you can get more damage with grab/tilt combos.

- When you grab, you need to utilize your pummel more. Especially on Jigglypuff. Every little % will help your up-throw finish the stock. And I noticed you use back-throw a lot at questionable up-throw kill percentages.

- Last thing; I think you should be throwing out more SHSB in neutral. There are a lot of moments in these matches where neither player is doing anything and is far out of range of their opponents attacks. Make Jiggs think about how to get around them, because if she doesn't, then she takes damage in a MU where she can die off the top pretty easily.

Last edited:

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Well thank's for the constructive criticism guys, and I plan to adjust things based on what you said - but like I said this is from before I really picked up Mewtwo and the real purpose of this thread is to talk about the jiggs matchup and not really to review my gameplay - though I do appreciate the help. :)

At some point I will try to do some rest punishes at varying percentages and post a video/gifs
Might even do it in debug mode in 20XX for optimal TAS punishes, if any exist.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Bair sounds like *** in this matchup, btw. At least for neutral. You've got so much less air control and puff's disjoint + Mewtwo spending his time facing backwards makes it very unlikely you'll avoid a trade even when you manage to get a hit. Ftilts seem like it straight up outclasses it.
Like i said before, bair is good if shes behind and above you where she would be to high to hit you with an aerial. Watch the link i posted and pause between 4:52 and 4:55 when mewtwo's bair makes contact with falco and you can see the blue/green visual hit effect. It's hits much higher than you think. That being said I think it's a situational, like if she crosses up your shield or is above a platform while youre below her. You shouldnt be fishing for that in neutral, you should be charging your SB instead.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Turns out mewtwo's ftilt (the angled ones too) and dtilit all outrange puff's bair. The interesting thing is that when mewtwo ftilts he leans away and crouches making his hurtbox move farther away from puffs SH bair range.
I think getting her up in the air is the most advantageous position. When she's falling from above the stage you can rack up damage with upairs and bairs until you exhaust her jumps and then punish her landing with a SB or shield grab.
Another thing i noticed is that even if you have your back turned, puff cant hit your tail with an aerial without landing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Yeah I totally agree with what you're saying. If I thought my mewtwo was any good I would be going to tournaments with him not posting my ass vids here, rofl.

Yeah, usmash is super long and really awful - instead when I feel like someone is going to come down onto me should I just util, or uair?

When does dthrow stop sending the jiggs into a useful spot? tbh I think at like 60 or so dthrow doesn't really guarantee a conversion as well as bthrow does.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
correct me if im wrong but i thought utilt had good iasa frames?

edit: It's 28 frames, same as missing the l cancel on your dair :p
Not so great.

Last edited:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff can block and shield drop punish a Bair if she's on a platform. Also, just about everytime I've seen a puff cross up a shield it was to land right behind them so she could grab or utilt. I feel like that, unless it's in a combo or edgeguard, going for bairs just isn't worth it even if it's your only way to hit somebody. Repositioning yourself or charging SB just seems more attractive to me. *shrug*
Ive been over this before, SH rising bair will let you weave out after hitting the platform from below, much too far for puff to shield drop punish. You can SH rising bair and reposition yourself by drifting, WL, or DJ before you land since your SH lasts longer than bair's entire animation. Of course you should only be doing this if you already have a charged SB.

As for the crossup thing, I used the term wrong. I meant if they drifted past you from above. My b.
Also I think pivot dtilt and pivot upward ftilt are a must in this matchup.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
I heard from a good puff player I know that chudat's Mewtwo is a pain in the *** to fight because of his frequent abuse of light shielding. Not sure if it's as effective as it is annoying but figured it'd be worth sharing.
I've received the same complaint about light shielding. I believe it's mostly because you can't really pressure a light shield and trying to mess with M2's as Jiggs is basically a free pass for M2 Jiggs just can't follow up. In fact, more often than not you can punish attempts at hitting your light shield vs Jiggs in my experience. I'm nowhere near the best player but I can definitely take note of options when I see them, even if I'm not good enough to act on them yet lol.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
How can you punish a Jigglypuff with lightshields increased shieldstun and pushback? Even hard shield doesn't allow you to safely connect with an OoS option if jigg's spacing isn't disrupted. Am I misunderstanding what you mean by punish?
I'm specifically referring to shadow ball as a punish, though the main point was that it makes life much harder for jiggs with you getting pushed back. I speak entirely from my limited experience though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm simply not fighting a good enough Jigglypuff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Top Bottom