• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff's Forward Throw

Sycorax

Smash Ace
I'm trying to collect some trajectory data on throws and was hoping one of yall could answer a question for me. I'm cautious about interpreting Jigglypuff's forward throw since it is the only throw that can be smash DI'd. Lots of throws have a hitbox, which deals damage and has a Sakurai Angle for its trajectory (which ends up sending them nowhere because they are stuck in the grab). Then, separately, the throw itself deals some damage and sends at a certain angle. In the case of Jiggs’s fthrow, the throw sends at an angle of 55 degrees while the hitbox sends at 45 degrees. Since her forward throw can be smash DI’d, does that mean the hitbox is responsible for the trajectory, or is the throw responsible?

AGLET

Smash Cadet
The hits hit within 10 frames of each other so the trajectory of the throw is used unless you smash DI the hit, in which case the trajectory of the hit is used because SDI in any direction really moves you out of position to get hit by the throw. The hit is weak and does 5% whereas the throw is pretty strong at high percents and does 7%

Sycorax

Smash Ace
How sure are you? Magus said "Yeah, it [the throw] releases first then the hitbox's KB replaces it unless it manages to miss." Since the KB is replaced, I assume that the trajectory is replaced as well with the hitbox's trajectory.

Could you also explain your phrase "The hits hit within 10 frames of each other so the trajectory of the throw is used..." I don't understand what that means at all. What does a 10 frame window have to do with whether the throw or the hitbox is responsible for the trajectory?

AGLET

Smash Cadet
If you are hit by a move and then hit by another move within 10 frames, the knockback/trajectory of the second move completely replaces that of the first, whereas if they hit are more than 10 frames apart, knockback/trajectory will be a combination of both moves. I'm not sure exactly how they combine though.

Also I'm 99% sure the hit comes before the throw because if you smash DI the hit you barely go anywhere, which in theory means you moved yourself out of the hitbox of the throw (which is the launcher). If the throw came before the hit then smash DI'ing the hit wouldn't really do much other than slightly help your survival DI.

Last edited:

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Also I'm 99% sure the hit comes before the throw
I'm 99% it doesn't. I asked Magus, "Since her throw can be smash DI’d, does that mean the hitbox is responsible for the trajectory, or is the throw responsible?" He responded, "Yeah, it releases first."

which in theory means you moved yourself out of the hitbox of the throw
Throws are not hitboxes. Hitboxes have size, x-y-z coordinates, IDs, bones they're attached to, and shield damage in addition to damage, angle, KG, WBK, and BK. Throws have none of those attributes in the first set of attributes. They just have knockback numbers, damage, and angle.

That SDI phenomenon you described is weird and I don't know how to explain it.

Last edited:

AGLET

Smash Cadet
Oh, I guess the throw just has hitlag then for whatever reason.

Top Bottom