• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff's bad MU's

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
First of all what are all of Jigglypuffs's bad matchups. Second how do we handle these matchups. Finally which characters can cover Jigglypuff's bad matchups (for secondary use).

NarukamiSSB

Smash Rookie
I think Robin is a pretty bad MU because of his use of projectiles and Levin sword, it can be had to get in on him. But it's pretty easy to combo him when you get around the projectiles.

Capita

Smash Apprentice
NNID
n1ntendogamer
Personally, I think two of Jigglypuff's worst MU's are Rosalina and Sonic, but I might just be playing these horribly wrong.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Personally, I think two of Jigglypuff's worst MU's are Rosalina and Sonic, but I might just be playing these horribly wrong.
Rosa just requires us to take advantage of her aerial frame data and kill Luma. We need to get her in the air or else we risk Usmash/Utilt OoS. It's not in our favor, but it's winnable.

Sonic is tough, but mostly because he takes advantage of bad reaction time. This shouldn't be a problem for us, but we should remember to DI out of any of his combos.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
IMO some of the worst are:
Robin, because we can't approach him AT ALL.
Pit/Dark Pit because strong, multihit, long-ranged aerial disjoints.
Sonic because fast.
Link/Toon Link because we can't approach him. Not that bad.
Diddy Kong because we can't land with him around.
Sheik because nobody is good against Sheik.
Zelda because super aerials.
Marth/Lucina/Roy because good disjoint.

EDIT: Forgot:
Yoshi: Armored double jump makes him hard to gimp. Breaks out of strings.
Mario because he has all the tools to be a pain.
Luigi because grab=kill stupid early.
ZSS: see Luigi.

Last edited:

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
No one has mentioned Yoshi yet? Okay, lol...

IMO some of the worst are:
Robin, because we can't approach him AT ALL.
Pit/Dark Pit because strong, multihit, long-ranged aerial disjoints.
Sonic because fast.
Link/Toon Link because we can't approach him.
Diddy Kong because we can't land with him around.
Sheik because nobody is good against Sheik.
Zelda because super aerials.
Marth/Lucina/Roy because good disjoint.
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh Robin has slow projectiles that we can hop over or duck. His levin sword is slow, and he is easy to gimp. I don't think he's a big issue. Pit(s) I can agree with. Sonic is weird, whoever takes the first stock usually has it. Link/toon link are decent for us honestly. Due to our aerial movement and weaving in and out, bombs lose a lot of their utility, and their followups are often taken bc of our weight. Diddy kong isn't an issue now except for fair. Fair does a really good job of spacing us out, but we beat all of his other options now. I think it's safe to say it's even or in our favor. Sheik is interesting, most puff's are thinking we have the advantage on her now. We ruin he needles utility with ducking, forcing her to approach. We get out of her combos pretty easy, and we can beat her aerials due to us having better priority. Zelda is prob one of our better matchups. Her aerials aren't that good honestly, because fair and bair are too unreliable, and she has no other great approaching aerial. Dair isnt that great, uair isnt that great, nair is decent. We beat her in the aerial category easy. Her specials except Nayru's love and up b are pretty bad. Her up special is only good if we don't space correctly, and nayru's love is decent for getting out of strings. Marth and Lucina have a bit of an advantage, but I think we do better than Roy. He has a bad recovery, and is too reliant on being close. Spacing shuts him down, and we have great aerials to kill him offstage with ease. The biggest problem is his up b.

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
Opinions incoming, bad match ups that come to mind, with not much explanation but based on experience more than anything:

Mario, he has all the tools to completely destroy puff.
Yoshi, Same aerial mobility plus arguably way better aerials as well as a decently safe projectile.
G&W, Not sure why it feels this way.
Dedede, Juggle him till 70%~ at 0% and it still is an even game because of how hard it is to kill or gimp him.
Rob, Not particularly hard to gimp surprisingly but has the tools to zone you out similarly to the links but with better kill options from throws.
Sonic, if he has the %/stock lead, it's hell.

Not sure about Ness because of his exploitable recovery but it's definitely not easy when evenly matched against the opponent.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Played a good luigi player in a tourney set yesterday named AoS | Grandi. Almost took a game, but he rekt me. :/ I gotta train up on the luigis... It was a fun set though!

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I think...
Luigi
Sonic
Mario
Rosa
Shiek
Yoshi
Peach
Megaman
Pikachu
Ness
Tink/Link
and several others like Zelda, or......Marth?

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Opinions incoming, bad match ups that come to mind, with not much explanation but based on experience more than anything:

Mario, he has all the tools to completely destroy puff.
Yoshi, Same aerial mobility plus arguably way better aerials as well as a decently safe projectile.
G&W, Not sure why it feels this way.
Dedede, Juggle him till 70%~ at 0% and it still is an even game because of how hard it is to kill or gimp him.
Rob, Not particularly hard to gimp surprisingly but has the tools to zone you out similarly to the links but with better kill options from throws.
Sonic, if he has the %/stock lead, it's hell.

Not sure about Ness because of his exploitable recovery but it's definitely not easy when evenly matched against the opponent.
Yoshi is a bit easy for me. I don't know why, but facing Yoshi makes enough sense for me.
G&W's 9 Judgement is always an instakill on us unless we Perfect Shield it or dodge it. Other than that it should be fine unless we face GimR.
DDD has disjoints and smashes that can break our shield, but his projectiles can easily be deflected by our aerials.
ROB can easily mix up his recovery options, meaning it can be difficult to gimp him without stage spikes. IDK ROB isn't a particularly bad MU since we can just jump out of his throw followups.
Sonic/Mario I agree, moreso on Mario. Fludd can put us in a risky situation with Fair, Fireball stops our momentum just enough to gimp us occasionally, and UpB's priority is insane. At least Sonic got balanced out, Mario doesn't show any sign of getting nerfed.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
No one has mentioned Yoshi yet? Okay, lol...
Yeah forgot Yoshi. Nothing in particular that makes it terrible, just Yoshi in general.
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh Robin has slow projectiles that we can hop over or duck. His levin sword is slow, and he is easy to gimp. I don't think he's a big issue.
I find that it's impossible to approach him right.He can shield right out of charging Thoron, which shuts down an aerial approach. We're too slow to just grab so he can just throw out a Thunder, and Arcfire can shut down almost any other option. I also find him kinda hard to gimp because he can just Meteor you with his up-b if he times it right. Also Levin-uair completely wrecks us.
Sonic is weird, whoever takes the first stock usually has it.
Agreed. Then you pretty much need a Rest to kill first, which is super duper hard against him sooo yeah. Only bright side I see is that you can sometimes Rest his regular dash. Pound is also good for shutting down Spin Dash.
Due to our aerial movement and weaving in and out, bombs lose a lot of their utility, and their followups are often taken bc of our weight.
Yeah your probably right. Link I find it harder to approach because of his u-smash, but Tlink has his boomerang. Both of them aren't too bad, I just really hate disjoints. Also it's hilarious whenever a Tink misses the second hit of f-smash.
Diddy kong isn't an issue now except for fair. Fair does a really good job of spacing us out, but we beat all of his other options now. I think it's safe to say it's even or in our favor.
Fair (and sometimes uair) keep us in the air, which makes us expend our jumps, which forces us to land, which gives him a banana set-up. Not bad but I wouldn't say in our favor.
Sheik is interesting, most puff's are thinking we have the advantage on her now. We ruin he needles utility with ducking, forcing her to approach. We get out of her combos pretty easy, and we can beat her aerials due to us having better priority.
Yeah Sheik is weird. I'd say it's our favor only on FD because we can duck the needles. Everywhere else I'd say Sheik still has the advantage because her main weakness (killing) is made easier.
Zelda is prob one of our better matchups. Her aerials aren't that good honestly, because fair and bair are too unreliable, and she has no other great approaching aerial. Dair isnt that great, uair isnt that great, nair is decent. We beat her in the aerial category easy. Her specials except Nayru's love and up b are pretty bad. Her up special is only good if we don't space correctly, and nayru's love is decent for getting out of strings..
Although fair and bair are unreliable for killing they still outspace us enough to keep us away. Uair comes out too fast for us to escape if she sets it up. Nair and dair are eh, not and issue. Nayru's love is annoying because it breaks strings which Jiggly oh so desperately needs. Her multihit smashes are a pain to deal with. I'd say the main redeeming factor about this MU is that well... Zelda isn't very good in general.
Marth and Lucina have a bit of an advantage, but I think we do better than Roy. He has a bad recovery, and is too reliant on being close. Spacing shuts him down, and we have great aerials to kill him offstage with ease. The biggest problem is his up b.
I'd say his f-smash is even more of a problem. Also his neutral-b spaces us out. Really anyone with a counter can be a pain because they shut down strings.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Zelda is decent at best, sure her air game could be far better, but at least 2 of our Ariel's aren't so bad, in a way.
Still Fair and Bair are dangerous because Jiggs range sucks and she is actually one of the few characters thats, in a way, forced to approach Zelda.

Being below Zelda offstage is risky because of us havin one of the fastest, strongest and safest meteors in the game, even getting the sourspot is nice sometimes.

Being above her isn't the best because of a good anti-air disjoint in our Utilt that can KO, our powerful Usmash, and a disjointed high knockback Uair.

If anything, Zelda edge guards better, because she herself, is one of the most difficult characters to edge guard.
That's what I can say for now, brb

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
No one's seemed to have mentioned R.O.B. yet. Is it just me, or is there something to this?

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
No one's seemed to have mentioned R.O.B. yet. Is it just me, or is there something to this?
Two posts already did. Not just you! It isn't the best matchup, but since rob is so big, he's combo meat. Also, he's wide open during recovery, so get those ledge spikes and gimps and combos! His followups can be annoying, and his projectiles do a fine job keeping us back, so we gotta space carefully on this one. Also the out of sheild options... :<

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Two posts already did. Not just you! It isn't the best matchup, but since rob is so big, he's combo meat. Also, he's wide open during recovery, so get those ledge spikes and gimps and combos! His followups can be annoying, and his projectiles do a fine job keeping us back, so we gotta space carefully on this one. Also the out of sheild options... :<
I hate Ariel's like his that last FOREVER or have HUGE hitboxes -.-
Btw IMO, if there are any characters who would have a MU that's 30:70 Jiggs could be one of those, maybe not, but possible.
If you think she does, who would it be?

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
I hate Ariel's like his that last FOREVER or have HUGE hitboxes -.-
Btw IMO, if there are any characters who would have a MU that's 30:70 Jiggs could be one of those, maybe not, but possible.
If you think she does, who would it be?
Absolutely nobody! Like no one! Not even Mii Gunner or something! PLEAZ CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!!! There's always a way to manipulate Jiggs...

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
well some characters beat her easily already and a couple have far better customs then her.....also including the fact that it does seem like as the years of the game goes on and develops, her MU ratios, like a few other characters may start to get worse.

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
You fools... Bowser Jr is our worst match up, along with Roy. No kidding.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Also Little Mac. You can't come in with fair to a follow up because of his jab, and his down smash catches you returning to the stage... Getting him offstage is also hard unless he's super aggressive... Only takes 5 hits to kill us too... KO punch catches ya too because you're too slow on jumping, moving, or any other option. You'll agree if you faced good little macs

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Also Little Mac. You can't come in with fair to a follow up because of his jab, and his down smash catches you returning to the stage... Getting him offstage is also hard unless he's super aggressive... Only takes 5 hits to kill us too... KO punch catches ya too because you're too slow on jumping, moving, or any other option. You'll agree if you faced good little macs
When I fight a Little Mac I stay as close to the edges as I can at all times and fish for a grab. Not the best strat but it works.
You fools... Bowser Jr is our worst match up, along with Roy. No kidding.
Bowser Jr. is annoying. His u-smash is ridiculously safe OOS.

Last edited:

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
The bad MUs are usually the characters that will never let you approach them/don't want to approach you.

Basically worst characters would be:

Sonic: Speed is hard to follow up to him + he's all about bait 'n punish, something that's not good for a character that's also on this playstyle.

Toon Link (Not Link): TL has more option than Link overall because he's more nimble (fast) and can do hookshot shenanigans on ledge + the many projectiles going in our face.

Ness: Fair + too good aerial options = Ech.

Mario: The perfect "All-Around'er".

Luigi: Ridiculous combo potential + an easy dthrow into rising down B for kill move.

Yoshi: ALL THE AUTO CANCELS IN THE WORLD *********** + dumb zoning

Pacman: Im really not sure about this one. Really basing on Abadango for this. A good Pacman that sets up traps on legde could be dangerous for Puff.

Fox: That really annoying hit and run. And runs up to you into Usmash because he doesn't care about what you wanted to do.

Falco: Also that annoying hit and run + aerial options are too good with him.

ROB: Wouldn't say bad, but definitively hard to deal with. Too much projectiles + recovery makes him hard to gimp + aerial auto cancels all day.

Never saw a good Duck Hunt, but if that's the case that's a 100% snoozefest.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Yoshi is by far our worst matchup. Faster aerials, only other character with better aerial speed, a non-charging projectile we can't beat with aerials, SA on 2nd Jump so we can't gimp, and big hitboxes. Yoshi is our biggest problem easy.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Duck Hunt forces us to approach on ground. The moment we're in the air, Clay Pigeon/Trick Shot hit us. Get close before hitting aerials, but know your spacing. If you can easily do a Fair string, go for it. Offstage, Duck Hunt will still have CP/TS but his recovery is laughably gimpable. Just beware of his Dair, Uair, and Usmash since they can easily catch us off guard. His other smashes are a bit unreliable once we get high percents, oddly enough, due to the knockback on the three hits and how they can't 100% string together on someone DIing.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Duck Hunt forces us to approach on ground. The moment we're in the air, Clay Pigeon/Trick Shot hit us. Get close before hitting aerials, but know your spacing. If you can easily do a Fair string, go for it. Offstage, Duck Hunt will still have CP/TS but his recovery is laughably gimpable. Just beware of his Dair, Uair, and Usmash since they can easily catch us off guard. His other smashes are a bit unreliable once we get high percents, oddly enough, due to the knockback on the three hits and how they can't 100% string together on someone DIing.
I love how DH players say that, ironically, puff is the hardest character for them to kill xD

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Does anyone else feel like Ryu is an awful matchup for Puff?
I think it's our lack of experience against Ryu. His S. Ftilt can KO us if we shield too much, he can combo us into Shoryuken better than Mega Man could, and Focus Strike can ruin any aerial option that isn't Dair. Offstage, though, he is gimpable. Side B is pretty bad as a recover option, and Shoryuken can't hit hard unless we're up in his face. I don't know if Hadouken can wavebounce when DPed/Half Circle, but beware of that.

Yoshi is by far our worst matchup. Faster aerials, only other character with better aerial speed, a non-charging projectile we can't beat with aerials, SA on 2nd Jump so we can't gimp, and big hitboxes. Yoshi is our biggest problem easy.
Yoshi can cancel his SA with an aerial attack, so if he tries to follow us offstage with a high aerial approach, we can fair him back. In neutral, we need to stay on ground and approach him that way.

I love how DH players say that, ironically, puff is the hardest character for them to kill xD
It's usually because they aren't used to fighting an bait/punish character that can fly through the air so fast. Not to mention some of the endlag on their moves is scary since Jiggs could take advantage of it with Rest.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
I think it's our lack of experience against Ryu. His S. Ftilt can KO us if we shield too much, he can combo us into Shoryuken better than Mega Man could, and Focus Strike can ruin any aerial option that isn't Dair. Offstage, though, he is gimpable. Side B is pretty bad as a recover option, and Shoryuken can't hit hard unless we're up in his face. I don't know if Hadouken can wavebounce when DPed/Half Circle, but beware of that.

Yoshi can cancel his SA with an aerial attack, so if he tries to follow us offstage with a high aerial approach, we can fair him back. In neutral, we need to stay on ground and approach him that way.

It's usually because they aren't used to fighting an bait/punish character that can fly through the air so fast. Not to mention some of the endlag on their moves is scary since Jiggs could take advantage of it with Rest.
I honestly think we take DH pretty well. I would say 55-45 our favor. Most would shoot me for saying that, but meh :|

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
So are you even referring to her harder MUs or any MU she loses?
If the former, there would be a good chunk of characters, but if its the latter.....yea thats quite a bit to list.

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
I was fishing for matchups that she loses. Also since this hasn't really been answered yet, what characters can handle the matchups that she loses. but if you could include a list of harder matchups as well that would be amazing.

Last edited:

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Does anyone else feel like Ryu is an awful matchup for Puff?
Ya gotta play safe on Ryu because he hits HARD, and his fair is ANNOYING! Not the worst matchup though, because ledge guards give high rewards and he has lots of lag in his moves. Because of his fair, I kinda just hit and run unless I'm near the ledge so I could use nairs to end combos, and trade if there's a fair. When he charges up his down B, just hit him again because 9 out of 10 times, a ryu charges focus punch in the air, and a second hit will put him in a combo. Even when he wants to slide out of it, you should be quick enough for a fair, or nair. Dair is also great, but much more risky because the Ryu could actually react.

Ya know, pretty much EVERY character has a way to manipulate or counter puff, even it being a single move :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Ya gotta play safe on Ryu because he hits HARD, and his fair is ANNOYING! Not the worst matchup though, because ledge guards give high rewards and he has lots of lag in his moves. Because of his fair, I kinda just hit and run unless I'm near the ledge so I could use nairs to end combos, and trade if there's a fair. When he charges up his down B, just hit him again because 9 out of 10 times, a ryu charges focus punch in the air, and a second hit will put him in a combo. Even when he wants to slide out of it, you should be quick enough for a fair, or nair. Dair is also great, but much more risky because the Ryu could actually react.

Ya know, pretty much EVERY character has a way to manipulate or counter puff, even it being a single move :/
So true, I mean......if she actually does even decent in one MU another character could do far better in that same one.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Yeah. I went to an event once, and some people thought I was a jiggly god because I was good at the match ups. My combo game was off that event, but it does bring up the point that dealing with situations and match ups are far most important for our hero Jigglypuff, and combo game is just an extra benefit

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I used to main Jiggs in Brawl for a while. It was... challenging to say the least, lol. I'm learning her these days on SSB4 and I'm finding Mr. Game and freaking Watch just as scary as back in the Brawl days :[ It used to be considered one of the absolute worst MUs in Brawl... I'm guessing there's some of that still going on.

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
Ok so i find some camper matchups that haven't been mentioned a lot harder and i have some opinions in other ones...

first what i find really hard and why / my thoughts on how to counter

Campy Greninja > Basically all he does is shuriken spam from as far as he can, once you get close he'll just teleport behind you (maybe hit you with the kick maybe not) go to the other side of the stage rinse and repeat. Once you get to kill % he just has to space a teleport on your back and kill you. It's that easy for him.
How to counter : First off platforms, this is the fastest and easiest way to go. Battlefield / mii verse are great calls but be aware for the up b / up air follow up if you ever going to the top plaftorm. It's not hard to dodge the shurikens but watch your spacing so you're not putting yourself into the teleport kick range. The best thing to be done in this matchup is bait the telekick on a shield and rest / dair > dair > rest / dair > dair > fair > rest punishes based on his percent. You can also duck the shurikens (not the charged one though). If he changes his playstyle to offensive just act accordingly. Every shield can be a free retreating nair for free.

Sonic > You all know what he does ... Spin attack + homing attack are the biggest threats.
How to counter: i've been studying this matchup a lot, but asking @Serynder since he has more experience on it as i do (i was never able to fight a good sonic yet) i'll copy paste his words :
"learn to jab 1 reset versus Sonic, into grabs. Or practice the distance necessary to n-air falling into Sonic, to interrupt him
Learn the timing for crouch > Rest against homing attack, because that's the most common thing Sonics will do, when you stop their spin dash. When you rest out of a crouch, your hurt box is like 1/3-1/4 of its original size, and you return to a full body-sized hitbox for Rest making it a lot easier to rest versus non-disjointed attacks that would have otherwise hit you.
You can also learn the rest timing for spin dash.You always want to get the spin dash factor out of the way first, in the Sonic match-up, that way you can start playing against the player and not have to worry about the person getting free damage off of you, due to static character-based factor"

Mario is complicated because there's so much different stuff he can go for it's just hard to have a "what to do"...
I think his projectile game got a lot stronger in this game and it's hard not to get punished for shielding or even ducking it sometimes... This matchup requires patience, a lot of patience. Make the best of every oportunity you got to hit and run or combo if you got the oportunity... One thing i found really useful is bait dash attacks into a sing, it's free kill / combo. I need to work better on my game against Mario projectiles..

Yoshi is really hard because we can't trade with the eggs anymore, which sucks and gimping him is really hard so we have to work on combos and setups for Yoshi. Honestly i have nothing yet but the basic stuff. I realized tho that we can edge guard him by stalling with ledge sing. Put him off stage, grab the ledge, when he's getting close to steal it from you jump and sing, he'll grab it, if he fast get up he'll be asleep (or he'll be too far to punish) if he stays on the ledge you took him off and can now bair to death/ back to the stage rinse and repeat if not dead... I find this to be a good mixup on the ledge game and has guaranteed me some easy edge guards every once in a while. Just can't abuse it. If we go pass the egg throwing and don't get too obvious isn't that hard of a matchup. Not that hard to kill with rest (between 59 and 65% are guaranteed kills) based on rage (actually bad DI and jiggs on over 100% you can kill yoshi with 45~50% )

Bowser Jr is really easy to gimp (even if it has to be done several times). Side B can be shield grabbed if you face the opposite direction he'll hit on the shield (same thing for wario's motorcycle). if he makes bad usage of down-b you can camp him with it. Jiggs can duck fsmash. Usmash is a problem but can be bait / punished by a well placed fair on shield. He also can't combo jiggs as good as he wanted to and we can pretty easily combo him / rest setup.

Mega Man is all about learning how to deal with his projectiles without getting to obvious. I have really close games against mega man, would say 50 ~ 50 depending on who gets the hits on the approaches. Not hard to kill offstage so yeah...

Zelda is ok just boring nayru's spam to kill every combo she gets into.

G&W is a pain. I still can't figure how to consistently win this MU. At least he dies at 50% to rest and isn't that hard to combo (if you can land a hit on him and react to it )

ROB is combo meat if he opens his guard and isn't that hard to avoid his projectiles, not a easy matchup though, only good when you're in.

I really need help on wii fit trainer matchup and Olimar... I have zero information on Olimar in this game so far.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Ok so i find some camper matchups that haven't been mentioned a lot harder and i have some opinions in other ones...

first what i find really hard and why / my thoughts on how to counter

Campy Greninja > Basically all he does is shuriken spam from as far as he can, once you get close he'll just teleport behind you (maybe hit you with the kick maybe not) go to the other side of the stage rinse and repeat. Once you get to kill % he just has to space a teleport on your back and kill you. It's that easy for him.
How to counter : First off platforms, this is the fastest and easiest way to go. Battlefield / mii verse are great calls but be aware for the up b / up air follow up if you ever going to the top plaftorm. It's not hard to dodge the shurikens but watch your spacing so you're not putting yourself into the teleport kick range. The best thing to be done in this matchup is bait the telekick on a shield and rest / dair > dair > rest / dair > dair > fair > rest punishes based on his percent. You can also duck the shurikens (not the charged one though). If he changes his playstyle to offensive just act accordingly. Every shield can be a free retreating nair for free.

Sonic > You all know what he does ... Spin attack + homing attack are the biggest threats.
How to counter: i've been studying this matchup a lot, but asking @Serynder since he has more experience on it as i do (i was never able to fight a good sonic yet) i'll copy paste his words :
"learn to jab 1 reset versus Sonic, into grabs. Or practice the distance necessary to n-air falling into Sonic, to interrupt him
Learn the timing for crouch > Rest against homing attack, because that's the most common thing Sonics will do, when you stop their spin dash. When you rest out of a crouch, your hurt box is like 1/3-1/4 of its original size, and you return to a full body-sized hitbox for Rest making it a lot easier to rest versus non-disjointed attacks that would have otherwise hit you.
You can also learn the rest timing for spin dash.You always want to get the spin dash factor out of the way first, in the Sonic match-up, that way you can start playing against the player and not have to worry about the person getting free damage off of you, due to static character-based factor"

Mario is complicated because there's so much different stuff he can go for it's just hard to have a "what to do"...
I think his projectile game got a lot stronger in this game and it's hard not to get punished for shielding or even ducking it sometimes... This matchup requires patience, a lot of patience. Make the best of every oportunity you got to hit and run or combo if you got the oportunity... One thing i found really useful is bait dash attacks into a sing, it's free kill / combo. I need to work better on my game against Mario projectiles..

Yoshi is really hard because we can't trade with the eggs anymore, which sucks and gimping him is really hard so we have to work on combos and setups for Yoshi. Honestly i have nothing yet but the basic stuff. I realized tho that we can edge guard him by stalling with ledge sing. Put him off stage, grab the ledge, when he's getting close to steal it from you jump and sing, he'll grab it, if he fast get up he'll be asleep (or he'll be too far to punish) if he stays on the ledge you took him off and can now bair to death/ back to the stage rinse and repeat if not dead... I find this to be a good mixup on the ledge game and has guaranteed me some easy edge guards every once in a while. Just can't abuse it. If we go pass the egg throwing and don't get too obvious isn't that hard of a matchup. Not that hard to kill with rest (between 59 and 65% are guaranteed kills) based on rage (actually bad DI and jiggs on over 100% you can kill yoshi with 45~50% )

Bowser Jr is really easy to gimp (even if it has to be done several times). Side B can be shield grabbed if you face the opposite direction he'll hit on the shield (same thing for wario's motorcycle). if he makes bad usage of down-b you can camp him with it. Jiggs can duck fsmash. Usmash is a problem but can be bait / punished by a well placed fair on shield. He also can't combo jiggs as good as he wanted to and we can pretty easily combo him / rest setup.

Mega Man is all about learning how to deal with his projectiles without getting to obvious. I have really close games against mega man, would say 50 ~ 50 depending on who gets the hits on the approaches. Not hard to kill offstage so yeah...

Zelda is ok just boring nayru's spam to kill every combo she gets into.

G&W is a pain. I still can't figure how to consistently win this MU. At least he dies at 50% to rest and isn't that hard to combo (if you can land a hit on him and react to it )

ROB is combo meat if he opens his guard and isn't that hard to avoid his projectiles, not a easy matchup though, only good when you're in.

I really need help on wii fit trainer matchup and Olimar... I have zero information on Olimar in this game so far.
Wii fit trainer isn't in our favor because it is actually hard to gimp her/him, and the recovery is really good. She/he also has good projectile game, which is worse. She's also a thin character, so it's harder to land a rest. However, she is a little light, and a good gimp should finish her off. Battlefield is a good counter pick, or another stage that isn't very flat for at least half of the stage, so you won't need to worry about projectiles as much.

Olimar can be bad, because he has combos, good grab range, and a lot of range attacks. His pivot grab is among the best in the game, and he is small, making it harder to rest and combo. However, he is gimped easily, and all his options are pretty defensive if you're not predictable, so just spacing fairs can be an approach. Once he's offstage, he has almost no options. His aerials have somewhat a lot of lag, and he can really only air dodge. If you can bait him to airside below the ledge, than you can easily gimp Olimar and stage spike him, since he'll be forced to recover. He's wide open and slow during recovery, so he's ankmg the easiest of characters to gimp.

Top Bottom