• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff one trick pony?

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
Rest is a decent move IF you can time it right, but what else does our pink puffball friend have going for it? Its sing attack im melee was useless, buy the time you stopped singing they had woken up.

It could jump high i suppose, easy to recover and that rolling attack has got me a few KO's

But is there anything else, which really stands out for jiggly as a great reason to use it or is he/she as the title implys a 'one trick pony'

Are there any changes to jigglypuff in brawl which make it worse/better?

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
the sing attack wasnt useless, if the opponent falls asleep just as jigglypuff is about to stop singing, then when jigglypuff does stop singing, the opponent will still be asleep and open to attack

i wouldnt call jigglypuff a one-trick-pony, each one of its moves if used correctly can be effective, in fact i dont think any character in the game can be described as a one-trick-pony

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
the sing attack wasnt useless, if the opponent falls asleep just as jigglypuff is about to stop singing, then when jigglypuff does stop singing, the opponent will still be asleep and open to attack
Who walks into a singing jigglypuff? :p
I agree that not just jiggly puff, all characters can be good if you use them right, but all i see with jigglypuff is that move, its kinda sad. I HOPE its underpowered in brawl, get some good jigglypuff techniques going

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
actually CPU opponents in melee just walked straight up to you, even if you kept smashing them away, theyd just walk straight back up to you. so yeah, i guess jigglypuffs sing would seldom be effective against human opposition, but i was just pointing out that it isnt absolutely 100% completely and utterly useless

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
Yeah, those CPU oppoents sure were stupid, even at level 9 they walk right into mines. I suppose Sing would also be good in a team game? i dont think i need to explain why but would you agree?

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
J-Puff's aerial back+A was one of the best reasons to use it since it came out fast and hard and could be used in between each of your jumps.

Also J-puff in general had such non-existant lag on landing it wasn't even necessary to L-Cancel with it the majority of the time.

Pound has amazing priority beating out or canceling a large majority of moves in the game as well as furthering its recovery ability.

His throws made for amazing KO ability (back throw) or setup into aerials due to the fix knockback made them super predictable. Furthermore his dodges (aerial and on spot) comboed straight into a Rest.

It made J-Puff the master of a aerial domination game. Also a large majority of Puff's set tore the space animals apart. In Brawl you should be looking out for any of those things.

JFox

Smash Hero
This doesn't even belong in Brawl discussion considering you aren't talking about the new jiggs. There is a reason the old jiggs is high tier. If you are gonna talk about melee jiggs, go into the jiggs forums.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well technically it does seeing that WOP returns in Brawl, it was shown in a video of her doing her back air and it does the same move.

Also rest seemed nerfed a bit but I think I'll test the damages it kills at when the game comes out.

Subtle

Smash Cadet
I would definitely call jigglypuff a one trick pony, as a jiggs mainer. However, one would have to be mentally handicapped to think that Jigglypuff is built around rest. Jigglypuff's main trick ( it's 'one' trick) is it's incredible, incredible air game, which is buffed in brawl ( she seems to move twice as fast in air). As other posters have stated, her air game is the reason why shes high in the teir list, many people cite her as having the best air ability in the game, and it looks like the devs wanted her to keep that title in brawl. Jigglypuff does have a few other tricks ( an amazing set up B moves to make up for not having an up+b, good tilts and throws) but 95% of jiggs is her air game

Hejiru

Smash Ace
Its sing attack im melee was useless, buy the time you stopped singing they had woken up.
Sing lass longer depending on how much damage the opponent has. Do to training mode, set the enemy to 999% and sing, he will sleep forever. If you get to opponent up to 75-100% they'll sleep long enough to pull off a smash attack.

K1T3

Smash Lord
Yeah cause jiggs is so bad in melee that a Jiggs player just won Pound 3 taking out all the top players like Cort, PC, M2K, Chu, Azen. Yeah jiggs was a one trick pony alright....

I would like to know how she is in brawl though... I've been hereing different things.

benman

Smash Rookie
In brawl I know one thing for sure about jiggs. Her rest has about double the hit box radius and it's only a tiny bit weaker. Also she wakes up faster and by faster I mean hey I just rested on your face and I'm going to wake up before you can even touch the ground again.

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Jiggs is a one trick pony.

I've been a solid Jiggs main for the past year I've had to rely on a wide assortment of strategies just to break even with the other "smasher on my dorm floor who plays an evil Fox. Jiggs has really solid throws that are easily set up by a sheilded hit, her aerial game is second to none, and pound has the crazy priority to punish anyone that gets in its way.

I will concede that she lacks the incredible versatility of the top tier chars., but I simply refuse to accept her being labeled as a "one trick pony."

Edit: to be fair, I did use those strats instead of resting because I was, and still am, mortally afraid of the repercussions of a missed rest. Fox's Upsmash...it needs a good whack with the "nerf-bat."

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
Rest is a decent move IF you can time it right, but what else does our pink puffball friend have going for it? Its sing attack im melee was useless, buy the time you stopped singing they had woken up.

It could jump high i suppose, easy to recover and that rolling attack has got me a few KO's

But is there anything else, which really stands out for jiggly as a great reason to use it or is he/she as the title implys a 'one trick pony'

Are there any changes to jigglypuff in brawl which make it worse/better?
um i pwn with jiggs

sleep is more effective if you use it when you enemies are damaged like at 60 or 80%
and also her pound is sweet, roll out PWNS as a recovery move "i call it the true meteor smash"
and rest is great when you have pple all over ya. and her air moves are priceless.

I love her mobility in the air

my only complaint is when her sheild is broken she goes bye bye

The Pope Of Pie

Smash Rookie
Does anyone think her FS is stupid
It could be very effective but it looks ****
It would be cooler if
a) she used sing. A signature move of Jiggs in the game and anime and
b) she scribbled on peoples faces like in the Anime
But that was the anime so i could see how sakurai could have discounted it

Chexr

Smash Ace
People are actually defending Sing and Rollout? Seriously? Jiggly has endless potential in melee but in brawl I fear do to everyones buffed recovery along with edgeguarding game being more difficult and also the nerf of rest (doesnt KO at even 50% anymore) that jigglypuff will be reduced to much less than what she is right now.

epfftactics

Smash Rookie
I agree that not just jiggly puff, all characters can be good if you use them right, but all i see with jigglypuff is that move, its kinda sad. I HOPE its underpowered in brawl, get some good jigglypuff techniques going
There's plenty of techniques going. all of its aerial moves were good and its b over. and it could destroy opponents trying to recover very easily by simply jumping out there, hitting them, and jumping back.

epfftactics

Smash Rookie
I can't imagine that they would nerf jigs too much. She wast dominant in melee but she was good. I expect her to be the same in brawl. Her rest is weaker but her FS looks strong.

thx

Smash Ace
sakurai massacred jigglypuff theres no doubt about it how does he not make people like marth crappier but nurfs jigglypuffs REST what kind of crap is that okay it does give alot of damage true but jigglypuffy could DEAL DAMAGE HERSELF rest was the best thing this puffball had besides wop and now you can only rely on wop? they didnt even make her smashes better i saw them and i was furious i mained jiggly in melee and im sad to say i doubt i will main jiggz in brawl she might be bottom tier =/

OH and no one uses sing or rollout...pound well sakurai prolly nurfed the range too that *****

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Gah you're an idiot.

Wall of pain Made jiggly puff really good, however, Jiggly puff did other things.

Her ability to sleep from the edge and then land was good (My friend used rest on me with this, or set me up for a combo).

Jigglypuff's down smash was a Psuedo spike if used on the edge correclty.

The rolling attack kicked my *** (excellent mind games). soimetimes the **** attack went THROUGH YOU AND CAME BACK AROUND AND HIT YOU!

Her Regular B move went through **** near any attack (seriously). And pushed you backwards to be kicked off the stage.

Excellent DI in melee (Though everyone is floaty in brawl).

Jiggly puff has decent aierals and excellent edgeguard game.

Top Bottom