• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff Discussion

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Hmm no one answered you. Keep in mind I'm no jiggs expert by any means.

At the super low percents, if you know you won't finish the combo try to put dk in a situation where he'll have to tech so you can turn it into a pseudo combo that might lead to death. Similar to when falcon dair's floaties mid combo to reset the combo. If that is not an option, best bet as always in this game (except vs pikachu) is to get him offstage and edgeguard.

That being said, you should definitely go into training mode and practice some combos at a few different low percentages. Also, if you absolutely cannot do anything from a grab at 0%, then don't go for a grab at 0%. Build up a bit of damage first.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
don't go near the edges is my advice, you can die from a bthrow at like 60 percent lol.

and there's a reason they call jiggly the combo queen, just mix in some variations of fthrow, dair, uair (you'll probably have to ff some), utilt and pound. finish it off with a rest and you're golden. usmash is also a good finisher.

if you grab dk at 0 and want to rack up some damage just fthrow, utilt once or twice and then pivot grab.

also, if you feel yourself losing the combo try to land a dsmash or dtilt since dk is really hard to edgeguard high.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
if you grab dk at 0 and want to rack up some damage just fthrow, utilt once or twice and then pivot grab.
f-throw -> utilt at 0% on DK is a risky combo. tho with the right timing, you can f-throw -> utilt for a long time (connecting the third hit as a true combo is the hard part)

but I suck at combos, so I don't know what to do after those 5+ utilts.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
note at 1:22 where he obviously drops the combo(since he didn't include the finisher) by doing an arbitrary dair

meowmeowrainbowkitty

Smash Apprentice
as jiggs, when finishing a combo after you do the dair with the last hit, is there any time / instance when you'd use anything other than an up smash, assuming that all attacks would hit?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
as jiggs, when finishing a combo after you do the dair with the last hit, is there any time / instance when you'd use anything other than an up smash, assuming that all attacks would hit?
Utilt to rest or even just rest (though the latter seems unlikely with decent DI from the opponent) could definitely kill in some situations where usmash would not, like if you are near the edge of the stage at mid percents due to horizontal knockback instead of vertical.

Bthrow is probably safer if you make it so that you are facing them when you land because even if they get the shield up its curtains.

Yoshi can parry, be careful about usmashing when he's grounded. Remember to not zcancel the dair so he pops up.

Personally I rarely use usmash right after dair because I find it pretty risky because they might shield. I don't play lots of jiggly though so I probably just mistime the usmash in most cases.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Tips for fighting DK?

I am having trouble death comboing him.
If you get a grab on 0% DK there is one combo I use that kills every time from every stage position (not including of course when there is a platform right above you).
After you throw the monkey up immediately walk a little bit the opposite direction of the direction you want the monkey to go flying. This is very important to getting the combo down consistently.
After you walk turn back around to be facing the monkey.

At the lowest point of the grab hitstun (doesn't have to be the absolute lowest, just pretty low) u-tilt and then jab into grab. Jabbing before the grab ensures that DK n-air doesn't blow up your grab attempt. Jab is fast enough to beat n-air on start up and will combo into grab. Plus its a little extra damage.

After grab number 2 just combo up air into up air into rest. Super easy on that big monkey hitbox. Position up airs so that they hit DK in the same direction horizontally or you may not get enough knockback to kill with the rest on certain parts of hyrule.

Finally the reason why you have to walk a bit after the first grab is because DK gets a bit of time to DI out of the uptilt. If you stand still exactly where you tossed the monkey and then uptilt the monkey player can go left or right, making it a 50/50 on whether you'll hit the jab into grab. You have to guess which way they DI.

But if you move slightly in either direction regardless of which direction the monkey DI's towards the jab will still connect because the monkey has such an absurdly big hitbox. So that slight movement actually turns it from a 50/50 setup into a guaranteed combo every time.

In terms of character specific 0% grab to death combos this one is one of the cleverest I've come up with and involves pressing the most buttons but it isn't difficult by any means when you get the sequence down. If you get a grab at medium to high percentage you can pretty much always just double or triple up air into rest too.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
So I've been going through advanced techniques and working on them with the help of smashboards. Particularly I've been working on dash-shield dropping to maintain momentum and the teleport (having some trouble doing it while dashing to the right though). Are there any particularly good times for a puff to use either of these techniques.

Shielddrop fair or Shielddrop dair seem good to hit an opponent a little ways off the platform but the angles covered don't seem too great.
And the only thing I've managed to use teleport for is to teleport near an edge because it allows puff to stop right by the edge and edgeguard with a nair or something. Also are there any uses for teleport into raw rest? Possibly as a punish for a whiffed mario/luigi/kirby upB or something?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
The most plausible use of teleport rest is in a tech chase situation where they roll away from you. Otherwise you're just gonna be hoping it hits. In general teleport can be an intersting mix up if you teleport nair or maybe some other aerial depending on situation. If they know its coming its exploitable though, so use sparingly.

When you shield ff jump fair might fix that angle problem you are talking about? Not quite sure I understand the position you are having trouble with but from what I gather that might help. Make sure you can reliably shield drop ff, I think its far more often than not better than no ff.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I haven't really been fast falling out of it that will probably help quite a bit. I figure fast fall will be bad for dairs from say a side platform on dream land, not enough time to get the hitbox active enough to get good confirms. but probably really good for nairs and fairs into tech chase situations.

And I think teleport rest might be kind of nifty on peach's castle if you get a mid damage uptilt on the lower platform (center) and know which way they are going to tech. I think the teleport goes further than the tech so you might have to for example up tilt then go right so they tech left (if they're in a situation where they want to get away from you) then teleport rest the tech chase. Definitely not something practical, teleport overall doesn't seem too practical but could be a shennanigan worth doing.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Fastfall dair is fine pretty sure. Puff falls pretty slow so I'd say ff is actually preferred for dair. Besides, less dair hits is better than more since they can't di as much.

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
It's hard, but you can totally do something like (fast)falling nair into teleport rest at the right percents. I've landed a couple before. I mainly use teleporting for movement options (like traversing DL quickly) or for shenanigans like telly-sing. You can also teleport-Usmash but it has hardly any slide on it so you have to use the first part (the super dash) of the teleport to gett in close and the cooldown is not worth the risk usually.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
The other day when asked to shed some light into Mew2King's mind and personality, Mango drew an anecdote from his old Puff days:

"so when I play Puff, and am recovering, I'll do an up air as I jump". Upon seeing this several times, M2K grows nervous and starts interrogating Mango on his reasoning for doing so: "WHY DO U DO THAT WHAT'S YOUR REASONING?"

Mango: "d0000d I just do it because it looks cool."

M2K: "WHA-------------------"

In short, The Star King is right.

(note: I'm more like M2K than I'd like to admit)

edit: only true admirers of Puff's Uair will know this (and don't cheat): to which side do you need to be looking at for Puff's Uair face the camera? You Falcon mains should know your taunts, too.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Mango has good taste. That animation is incredible.

I feel like anyone who has played a decent amount (almost everyone on these boards) can answer that intuitively. I could be wrong though.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Pretty sure I do know which way for the falcon taunt, but only when I'm actually playing and holding the controller lol.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Falcon's u-air is da most godlike. Its key to his combos. Its got range for days. It can hit you up, forward and backwards depending on the spacing and do enough knockback to kill on all three directions at reasonably high damage levels.

Puff's up air is clearly the most 'dorbs though. She just waves her stubby little arm in the air like an idol performing on stage with that posed look on her face. It explains why I always try to connect three or four up airs against heavy characters instead of just killing them. I need that cuteness.

Marthy

Smash Cadet
NNID
marth_lowell
3DS FC
0173-2031-9695
Switch FC
SW 1197 9118 8506
Use the rest attack. Make sure to be careful of others, since poor Jigglypuff is lightweight.

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
A few pointers:

Avoid the ground generally. Your best bets on the ground are generally grab or up-tilt, but puff is generally in a more advantageous position when in the air. Jigglypuff has a relatively good grab range (some call it heinous) so take advantage of it. Know how many jumps you have left at all times and take into consideration that it's riskier to approach in the air if you don't have many jumps left.

Down air is really useful, since you can do a lot of the boilerplate combos after it a lot of the time. You don't always need the d-air to hit for its entire duration -- sometimes one little 3 damage hit is enough hitstun for you to get in a f-throw in afterwords. Pay close attention to where you land after the d-air so you can decide what move should follow it up. If your opponent shields, try to land or apply enough pressure so you don't get grabbed after the d-air. Sometimes (rarely), you can use it as a spike, but be careful. Beware of OP up-tilts / up-airs, or filthy Samus up-Bs.

Neutral air has a decently disjointed hitbox and duration, and it's relatively forgiving. Take advantage of it by getting in little hits whenever you can without being punished. It's good for spacing too -- use it to scare your opponent away or put yourself in a more favorable position in the air. For edgeguarding, hover/linger near the edge and greet your opponent with the n-air, or in some cases chase your opponent farther off the stage with the n-air (especially fox, falcon). When edgeguarding, be mindful of your opponent's attacking options (for example don't get hit by Falcon up-B or Samus up-B or any sort of spikes).

Some people will tell you forward air should almost never be used, but I disagree. You can take advantage of its crappy knockback to get some combos in. I like to throw out a f-air unexpectedly shortly before landing. If you z-cancel, you can follow it up with a grab often times, or if you're in the air you can try a d-air or pound followup.

Other than in combos, I like to use up air to occasionally surprise my opponent who is expecting something different.

Like most things in life, pound is good in moderation. It can be a really useful approach if your opponent isn't expecting it. Of course, pound can help you survive farther horizontally, but you'll want to use it sparingly, especially as you get closer to your edgeguarding opponent. For recovery, you want to be as unpredictable as possible, and either fly over your opponent, grab the ledge, or hit the ground by nabbing your opponent with pound or an aerial. For fun / pro behavior, try some pivot pounds.

Don't needlessly rest. Though it's badass, rest can be replaced by up air or other attacks in combos, reducing your chance of having your sleep rudely disturbed by opponents, malicious tornados, or sentient douchebag trees. '

Anyways, does anyone have some tips for beating Mario and Lugii? Those ******** are tricky...

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
For mario just play solid. Short hop nair. Jab into grab. Your ground game (which can be super fearsome if you stay in the range just at the tip of grab and jab) is essential and you can punish backrolls meant to avoid grab with an f-smash. Dash dance a ton. Random roll away a ton.

You also want to discourage up b in the neutral game by baiting and punishing it in early stocks so you have access to your d-air later in matches. If mario just sits there and blocks d-air or gets hit by it early in the game then the matchup becomes pretty free. Just don't get whittled away by fireballs. It takes less projectiles than you think before your frail balloon is one up smash away from death.

Against luigi just don't roll towards him cuz a luigi should know that jiggle'sz roll is up b vulnerable throughout its animation. Be even more of a bully on the ground and in short hop range than you would against mario. Beware of random down b in air exchanges and always go for back throw and edge guard cuz f-throw into combo rarely works on the weegee.

sliceofpi

Smash Rookie
A few pointers:

Avoid the ground generally. Your best bets on the ground are generally grab or up-tilt, but puff is generally in a more advantageous position when in the air. Jigglypuff has a relatively good grab range (some call it heinous) so take advantage of it. Know how many jumps you have left at all times and take into consideration that it's riskier to approach in the air if you don't have many jumps left.

Down air is really useful, since you can do a lot of the boilerplate combos after it a lot of the time. You don't always need the d-air to hit for its entire duration -- sometimes one little 3 damage hit is enough hitstun for you to get in a f-throw in afterwords. Pay close attention to where you land after the d-air so you can decide what move should follow it up. If your opponent shields, try to land or apply enough pressure so you don't get grabbed after the d-air. Sometimes (rarely), you can use it as a spike, but be careful. Beware of OP up-tilts / up-airs, or filthy Samus up-Bs.

Neutral air has a decently disjointed hitbox and duration, and it's relatively forgiving. Take advantage of it by getting in little hits whenever you can without being punished. It's good for spacing too -- use it to scare your opponent away or put yourself in a more favorable position in the air. For edgeguarding, hover/linger near the edge and greet your opponent with the n-air, or in some cases chase your opponent farther off the stage with the n-air (especially fox, falcon). When edgeguarding, be mindful of your opponent's attacking options (for example don't get hit by Falcon up-B or Samus up-B or any sort of spikes).

Some people will tell you forward air should almost never be used, but I disagree. You can take advantage of its crappy knockback to get some combos in. I like to throw out a f-air unexpectedly shortly before landing. If you z-cancel, you can follow it up with a grab often times, or if you're in the air you can try a d-air or pound followup.

Other than in combos, I like to use up air to occasionally surprise my opponent who is expecting something different.

Like most things in life, pound is good in moderation. It can be a really useful approach if your opponent isn't expecting it. Of course, pound can help you survive farther horizontally, but you'll want to use it sparingly, especially as you get closer to your edgeguarding opponent. For recovery, you want to be as unpredictable as possible, and either fly over your opponent, grab the ledge, or hit the ground by nabbing your opponent with pound or an aerial. For fun / pro behavior, try some pivot pounds.

Don't needlessly rest. Though it's badass, rest can be replaced by up air or other attacks in combos, reducing your chance of having your sleep rudely disturbed by opponents, malicious tornados, or sentient douchebag trees. '

Anyways, does anyone have some tips for beating Mario and Lugii? Those *******s are tricky...

Good pointers for anyone trying to main jiggly^

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
im really bummed, cant find any good puff players in the area that can actually use a rest
It's hard to find good Jiggles in a lot of areas. If you can, play Ybombb and a few others online. Closest thing to a good Jiggly.

D

Deleted member

How do you handle Fox's up-air as puff? I get juggled for days.

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
Think about how much higher puff would be on the tier lists if she could actually gain height for all 6 jumps like in the other games. Now imagine how much higher she would be in the newer games if she had the smash 64 Dair.

Just wanted to point that out.

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
How do you handle Fox's up-air as puff? I get juggled for days.
DI away from Fox unless you are at high %, then try to get back down to the ground by using Puff's high air mobility to move left and right and kinda slim past Fox

Top Bottom