• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

JC Up-Smash?

Poccoishere

Smash Cadet
So I am practicing instant up air and I keep jc up smashing. How much will this kill my neutral?

PolishSmash

Smash Journeyman
Maybe your doing the aerial too early and you don't get off the ground yet so you do an upsmash. If I understand you correctly.

Poccoishere

Smash Cadet
Maybe your doing the aerial too early and you don't get off the ground yet so you do an upsmash. If I understand you correctly.
Yes thats what I mean by Jc -> jump cancel. So more or less I am wondering how punishable up smash is in neutral.

PolishSmash

Smash Journeyman
Yes thats what I mean by Jc -> jump cancel. So more or less I am wondering how punishable up smash is in neutral.
Ohhh ok yea I know what your saying. Hmmm maybe you can jab after lol I'm not really sure to be totally honest. Guess it depends on what character you are facing too

shrtstff

Smash Rookie
JC U smash? The main issue is going to come from spacies and other Falcons. Basically anyone with a quick punish, they can either wait till after the second kick for a safe attack or get on the other side of you to attack any time. Unfortunately the IASA for U Smash is frame 40 with hurtboxes only on 22-23 and 27-28. Total of 36 open frames before you can get out of it.

I wouldn't use U smash unless you got them in a combo or they are above you on the platform. Try using Bair and Nair as your poke and shield pressure options in your neutral game until you can either get a grab or pop them up then you start using your Uair to combo them at which point they will be to busy try to DI away from your attack to take advantage of an accidental JC U Smash.

I am not a CF expert or anything however so take this all with a grain of salt

edit**
By above on a platform I mean recovering. U smash is to much of a telegraphed move to do much else. You can do it while they are recovering next you but you would have a much better option using a side smash instead if you were intent on using a smash attack.

Last edited:

Haku_

Smash Rookie
I would grind it out more and start off by learning to do them slower and then do them faster, until you get to the point where you are JC UpSmashing. Then you should have a feeling on what is too fast.

I play claw so it happens to me a lot because i dont have to move my fingers. Wizzrobe just uses his thumb to press y and then uses the cstick up and says that even if he does it the fastest he can, he usually isnt fast enough to JC upsmash.

As to how punishable it is, pretty sure people can SDI out of the first hitbox and then you are stuck there in lag. Then you should assume you are about to get combo'd so start that down and away DI right away.

In tournament for me it's the difference between killing a falco and eating a 60% shine-dair rinse and repeat combo.

TLDR: Grind it out and stop doing it, unless you going for that style.

BOATMAN

Smash Rookie
TL;DR I use Z to do aerials offstage when I need to jump, as it allows me to jump and attack at the same time. Onstage with it, however, you might accidentally JC-Grab, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Top Bottom