• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

jaystring

Smash Ace
Hello!!

Sooo, I'll be using this thread from now on to post my progress and WIP mod that I've been working on.

As of right now, please keep in mind that I'm not really taking requests. I've got way too many started projects and they take a long time to do so I don't really have the time to do other stuff.

Also, part of why I'm making these mods is because I like making them so if I start doing a bunch of project I don't really feel like making, I'll end up loosing interest.

but anyway, I'm still interested in knowing what you would like to be added to brawl/project M. That might give me idea of stuff to work on but I can't promise I'll make it.

all right so, that been said, what am I working on lately!?

Well, for start, I've been annoyed at the lack of good quality Devil May Cry mod on Brawlvault so i've decided to take this matter in my own hands!

So here a first look at what's coming!

http://i.imgur.com/sx7U9Wa.jpg

Yes that's right, DMC1 costume Dante from DMC3 cutscenes is already almost rigged over Ike! He's not going to come alone thought, he's gonna get all these costumes as well :

http://imgur.com/a/7TeQU

Also! His brother Vergil will get rigged over Marth (2 costumes)(with possibly a PM Roy version) and Lady will get rigged over Snake (probably)

http://imgur.com/a/9RWDD

They'll all get facial expression, moving eyes etc etc. They are very low poly so they should all be very fine for wii User.

And finally, one last thing for today, here's some progress of Wii U Mew two! Rigging and texturing is not done but well, it's getting there!

http://imgur.com/a/DktxV

I'm keeping the rest for another time!

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
I am so glad someone decided to try their hand at Wii U Mewtwo! It looks great so far! Keep up the good work.

I will eagerly watch this thread as your work progresses. :150:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I'm consistently impressed with your work and can't wait to see what you do going into the future.

Just as a matter of knowing what sorts of project ideas to give you, do you know how to 3D model? I see you've done a lot of great imports and textures (which covers most things, honestly), but if an original model is needed for an idea I just think it's important to know.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Yes I know how to do 3D model.

I'm already working on a custom model, I've spoiled it (but haven't shown it yet as it's not ready) in the other Wii U Mew two thread : I'm doing a custom Megaman X full armor that will be released with regular blue Wii U megaman X (the final smash model)

i'm probably not going to do a tons of custom model, not anytime soon because they take much longer to make and there is still tons of already done models that could get ported

I'm thinking of sometimes modeling some customs parts to add in one of my release

a bit like I did with Wii U lucina. I modeled her short hairs. etc.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Alright then. How about tweaking the Dark Samus model from Echoes? You can find it in the PSA thread that Dark-Samus-Lives runs. Nano did a great job on the Corruption model but having both would be incredible.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Isn't there a dark samus assist trophy on smash Wii U?

is that the same character!?

sorry I didn't play most of metroid recent games, I don't know much about all of samus version/costumes etc

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Isn't there a dark samus assist trophy on smash Wii U?

is that the same character!?

sorry I didn't play most of metroid recent games, I don't know much about all of samus version/costumes etc
Yes, but that model is based on the Corruption model. Dark Samus has two models from two different games she was in: Corruption, and Echoes. Corruption looks like this:
And Echoes looks like this:

jaystring

Smash Ace
Yes, but that model is based on the Corruption model. Dark Samus has two models from two different games she was in: Corruption, and Echoes. Corruption looks like this:
And Echoes looks like this:
hoo I see! Thanks for the clarification!

jaystring

Smash Ace
Hello!

small update today :

I just wanted to let you know that I updated my ZSS mod to be more on part with my recent mods.

There shouldn't be any visual differences but a lot of "behind the scene" stuff have been done on the mod to make her run better.

There's a detailed list of the changes on brawlvault's description.

If you were using her, I strongly suggest to get the update and scrap the old one.

I don't know how she run on wii now, i'll let you try it out if you want but she should now be on par with my Fire Emblem stuff optimization wise.

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208776

jaystring

Smash Ace
depends on the model and what I'm trying to achieve. There is multiples way to do it.

1) like drogoth232 mentionned, prooptimizer is pretty good (and very quick) when you have a mesh that's 100% skinned or almost to one specific bone (like a head for exemple). where I don't like using pro-optimizer is when I have a mesh that has a complex skinning and using multiple bone (like shoulder area for exemple). Most of the time, pro-optimizer will destroy the skinning and remove some essential polygon that must be kept to have good skinning deformation. In that case, I prefer :

2) doing it by hand. which mean selecting each edge 1 by 1 and choosing which one I delete. of course much much longer but will achieve the best result (when you know what you are doing of course) because you 100% control what you remove and what you keep.

To be more specific about ZSS, the 1000 poly I removed are actually linked to her facial expression. In the first version, she was swapping all her head for each facial expression (so she had 5 full head in the pac file). In the new version, only the area around her eyes and mouth are swapping, saving polygons and actually keeping 100% of the quality of the old version.

I didn't optimized her more then that. I could have but that wasn't the point of the update.

blerb

Smash Journeyman
Pro-optimizer is awful. Id recommend looking up a bit on the polydraw tool. It's a quick way of retopologizing a model. You don't keep the UVs or skin wrap but you can cut the polycount in half (or more) with it. You can also transfer the textures to the new model 1:1 using some render-to-texture trickery. All in all, it's usually a lot quicker then manually deleting edges (though that method has it's uses) and the end result is hella clean if you've got a decent understanding of edgeflow/topology and optimal skin deformation

Add me on skype (name is mob.lin) if you want more details. Id say PM me your skype name so I know it's you, but PM drog with it, I can't access my inbox on my device (lol)

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
Well, actually, I didn't mentioned it earlier but my absolute favorite tool for lowering polygons is a program called "Simplygon".

It's used a lot in game Dev to do LODs for about everything. (LODs, for people who doesn't know, are low res version of a mesh that get swapped at a certain distance to lower the polycount of objects on screen. When you see "pop up" in game, it's most likely caused by a bad LOD job)

It's very very good and has tons of options for every kind of need, doesn't destroy UVs, can keep mesh topology, etc etc.

The downside is that it's not a free tool.

yeah I know that Pro-optimizer kind of do a dirty job BUT it has the advantage of coming build-in with max and doesn't destroy UVs (well not when I used it). I like it for a quick job but as I said, wouldn't use it on a mesh with complex skinning. It's good for static stuff.

I've never used the polydraw tool, i'm not really familiar with it but if it destroy UVs, I don't think I would use it really on an already completed model like Wii U stuff. probably because I don't like doing UVs and fixing texture seams that much but that's just me.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Hello!

Here's the first in-game test for wii U Mew two I did tonight to test his rigging. Though I would share it with you!

He's chilling with his Project M counterpart.

http://imgur.com/a/RI1lg

Keep in mind the textures and shaders are not finished and I'll play a bit more with his hand rigging. The rest is looking pretty good!

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
Well, actually, I didn't mentioned it earlier but my absolute favorite tool for lowering polygons is a program called "Simplygon".

It's used a lot in game Dev to do LODs for about everything. (LODs, for people who doesn't know, are low res version of a mesh that get swapped at a certain distance to lower the polycount of objects on screen. When you see "pop up" in game, it's most likely caused by a bad LOD job)

It's very very good and has tons of options for every kind of need, doesn't destroy UVs, can keep mesh topology, etc etc.

The downside is that it's not a free tool.

yeah I know that Pro-optimizer kind of do a dirty job BUT it has the advantage of coming build-in with max and doesn't destroy UVs (well not when I used it). I like it for a quick job but as I said, wouldn't use it on a mesh with complex skinning. It's good for static stuff.

I've never used the polydraw tool, i'm not really familiar with it but if it destroy UVs, I don't think I would use it really on an already completed model like Wii U stuff. probably because I don't like doing UVs and fixing texture seams that much but that's just me.
Oh man I am SO into this. My brother is going to flip. He's a Mewtwo main but hates PM's model so I think I'll surprise him.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Great stuff! I don't know if this is the best place to ask this, but what would be the easiest way to make a single polygon model? I want to make a model for the results screen (i.e. the little character logo next to a character's name) that looks like this:

jaystring

Smash Ace
Great stuff! I don't know if this is the best place to ask this, but what would be the easiest way to make a single polygon model? I want to make a model for the results screen (i.e. the little character logo next to a character's name) that looks like this:

hum good question, actually, right now, I don't know.

I guest it would be the exact same as adding any mesh to any stage but I haven't try stage modding yet (I would like to do it eventually!)

maybe one day I'll be able to answer you question.

You should ask DSX8 maybe. he's making really good stages.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
hum good question, actually, right now, I don't know.

I guest it would be the exact same as adding any mesh to any stage but I haven't try stage modding yet (I would like to do it eventually!)

maybe one day I'll be able to answer you question.

You should ask DSX8 maybe. he's making really good stages.
Thanks Jaystring! I asked DSX8, so we'll see what he says on the matter.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Hello!

Here's the first in-game test for wii U Mew two I did tonight to test his rigging. Though I would share it with you!

He's chilling with his Project M counterpart.

http://imgur.com/a/RI1lg

Keep in mind the textures and shaders are not finished and I'll play a bit more with his hand rigging. The rest is looking pretty good!
This has me so freaking excited. Is there any tentative timeframe for release?

jaystring

Smash Ace
I prefer to not give a "release date" to not rush my stuff, deceive anyone if I don't make it and allow me to have the time to fix unexpected problems when they arrive. I'll probably never do that with any of my mods.

BUtt, I can say that it should be soon enough. His first costume is almost done but then I've got his facial expression to do, the recolors to do too and i'll try to give him his PM armor costume using a modified version of PM's armor (i'm saying this but I haven't even tried to see if it work yet! I think it should)

He didn't took me very long to do actually, what was slowing me down what the fact that i'm doing the DMC3 stuff as well at the same time.

it's refreshing to work on a more simple model this time versus the fire emblem cast. everything is much quicker to do (less vertex so faster skinning, less texture so less texture painting, less materials so less tweaking in brawlbox, no hair transparency so no annoying hair polygon detaching to fix transparency overlay etc etc).

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
I prefer to not give a "release date" to not rush my stuff, deceive anyone if I don't make it and allow me to have the time to fix unexpected problems when they arrive. I'll probably never do that with any of my mods.

BUtt, I can say that it should be soon enough. His first costume is almost done but then I've got his facial expression to do, the recolors to do too and i'll try to give him his PM armor costume using a modified version of PM's armor (i'm saying this but I haven't even tried to see if it work yet! I think it should)

He didn't took me very long to do actually, what was slowing me down what the fact that i'm doing the DMC3 stuff as well at the same time.

it's refreshing to work on a more simple model this time versus the fire emblem cast. everything is much quicker to do (less vertex so faster skinning, less texture so less texture painting, less materials so less tweaking in brawlbox, no hair transparency so no annoying hair polygon detaching to fix transparency overlay etc etc).
Ok. Cool! I perfectly understand taking your time, no one should ever rush you and your work. I was just curious. :D

It truly is fantastic work. Keep it up!

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I'm looking forward to Mewtwo a tonnnnnnnnnnnn. I did notice something off about his rigging apart from his hands, though. One of his feet (his right foot from his perspective) seems to be set too deep, since it hangs through the floor a lot in those preview pics.

jaystring

Smash Ace
I'm looking forward to Mewtwo a tonnnnnnnnnnnn. I did notice something off about his rigging apart from his hands, though. One of his feet (his right foot from his perspective) seems to be set too deep, since it hangs through the floor a lot in those preview pics.
Just verified the model, indeed they were a tiny bit inside the ground, i'll fix it, easy fix.

the screenshots made it look worse because there is no collision on the bowser head thing in the middle of the stage. the original mewtwo's feet are passing throught too

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Just verified the model, indeed they were a tiny bit inside the ground, i'll fix it, easy fix.

the screenshots made it look worse because there is no collision on the bowser head thing in the middle of the stage. the original mewtwo's feet are passing throught too
Oh, okay. Must not have noticed before. lol At least something came out of it!

Obskore

Smash Ace
Take a look!
oh, the memories of Nintendo Directs... they're coming

btw, really eager for this, if the rigging does look nice on his legs i'll definitely use it over PM Mewtwo (Smash 3 Mewtwo has weird legs), we have yet to see if Smash 3 Mewtwo will get some update on that though

jaystring

Smash Ace
When you do Isabelle from Animal Crossing?
Eventually ... sorry I don't know when but I do have her in my to do list so be patient!. She's not started at the moment. Who do you think would be the best fit for her!? Lucas!?

oh, the memories of Nintendo Directs... they're coming

btw, really eager for this, if the rigging does look nice on his legs i'll definitely use it over PM Mewtwo (Smash 3 Mewtwo has weird legs), we have yet to see if Smash 3 Mewtwo will get some update on that though
yeah! I was kind of making an easter egg about that! Poor Iwata :( . Seems like he was the one pushing for nintendo direct stategie, we haven't got one since his death.

The leg rigging seem to work really well for me. I'm having more trouble with the hands actually. They are still not exactly to my liking. I'm still tweaking them.

You can do whatever you want with my Mewtwo mod when i'm done. I don't mind at all.

jaystring

Smash Ace
All right! The base model for Mewtwo and his armor costume are final!

Only recolors to go (and bugs to fix if I find any)

I think you guy will enjoy it, I really like the way he turned out.

Here a preview : http://imgur.com/a/OD85o

Credits will be given to project M team as I used their armor model (that I slightly tweaked) and I re-used their material and shader (there the same as Project M Mew Two)

jaystring

Smash Ace
ok, I might have a small favor to ask to anyone who has the time to test this out.

This would help me greatly at making more mod faster in the future. I'm losing a lot of time trying to find out what is wrong with my mod and i'm having the same issue with MewTwo now.

Basically, here is the test I would like you guy to try :

I would like you guy to download my latest and up to date Zero Suit Samus mod if you haven't already, add her to you build, make a Bot match of 4 AI level 9 using 4 Wii U Zero Suit Samus (use 4 recolors) in PM hyrule Castle 64 remake (stage doesn't matter that much but i'm always using this one). set the stock number to 50, all items and put infinite timer.

let the match run and then I would like to know if you guy managed to finish the match or got a freeze somewhere in the match (everything stop moving and sound start looping).

Also, let me know what system/version/console you are using (project M or brawl?, PM version?, Wii? Dolphin? etc)

On my build (Project M 3.6 on dolphin), I freeze 100% of the time somewhere in the match.

I've passed about 3 weeks trying to fix this. Basically all of august... (if you guy haven't noticed, I didn't do any new content in august because I concentrated all my effort in fixing this issue)

Here's the weird part : all my fire emblem cast are fine. I only crash with Zero Suit Samus (and now MewTwo) even if she's less high poly than Roy, has less texture, has a more optimized skinning, etc.

i've done the test on some of project M officiel skins and the one I tested managed to finish the match fully.

My Roy, Ike, Marth, Chrom and Lucina mods don't crash either.

Even if it's not that big of an issue (doing matches of 50 stock with the same character is not really commun) the issue is bothering me to hell and I'm struggling to find out what I've done wrong.

if any of you have any idea, please let me know!

The test will help me see if it's a general issue for everyone or if it's related to my dolphin build (because I didn't crash on PM 3.02 on another dolphin version with the same ZSS skins!)

Wii U Mewtwo is doing the same thing right now and I would like to have him fixed before release but I don't want to have him done months later because of this.

Thanks in advance!!

Draco_The

Smash Lord

Stopped working there. The first character was another Zamus but grabbed a smash ball.

jaystring

Smash Ace
all right! thank you! So now I know it's not only on my side.

As of today, I have no clue what is the real cause of this

Top Bottom