• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japan's Drum Master- Don-chan for Smash. Localization Inbound!

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Hey, just wanted to drop my and say to add me to the supporters list.
Aside from the fact I'll support anything Yukiko Yoko has helped design,

I honestly think Don-chan is the most likely Namco Rep.

I need to update my wish list.
Yessssss! And yes he is very likely. No bandai namco 2nd rep, Taiko probably has been in development along with smash, their biggest history just happens to be in between development and before roster planning, the appearance of the new Nintendo fighters and songs in the latest Taiko.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Well played.
Since he does appear in Mario Kart Arcade GP DX, not to mention those Nintendo songs I found out about, that does mean they recognize him.

Edit: I need those as alts!
Oh yeah and the nintendo songs were there for years now, the newly added ones are strangly also related to Smash ultimate though. Heck, even Pokemon is sharing a long history with Taiko no Tatsujin with having Pokemon songs in the games. That's a mile no company can do.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Europe got the demo for the game yesterday. Hopefully it'll drum up more interest in the series :troll:
Have they said anything about when the demo will show up on the North American shop, or was the release on the European eShop a surprise?

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Looks like Don chan just appeared on a Japanese mag along with Mario, Inklings, ARMS, Kirby, Pokemon SuMo and Animal Crossing characters.

What this means? Who knows. I need to find the original panels to these.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Looks like Don chan just appeared on a Japanese mag along with Mario, Inklings, ARMS, Kirby, Pokemon SuMo and Animal Crossing characters.

What this means? Who knows. I need to find the original panels to these.
Looks to be a CoroCoro comic collection - I believe the title is “Switch Heroes”. I’m not super familiar with CoroCoro’s comics, but I recognize the Mario on the right as the Mario from Super Mario-kun. Looks like an issue with comics based on Switch games!

Probably doesn’t mean anything, they’re all just from games on the Switch.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
My bet here is he's be repped by DK in reference to DKonga. Maybe his match could be rhythm based? Really hope he'll make it as a Spirit.
I want it to be Pacman for some reason

You can't spirit something that's already a spirit tho

Last edited:

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Congrats taiko on hitting top 20 best selling switch game already. I cant believe it outsold smo

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
got my copy of drums n fun yesterday im enjoying it

quite like the party games somewhat reminiscent of rhythm paradise

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Spirit battle idea taken from Gamefaqs:

Don-chan is a blue pacman with a red face and you do extra knockback if you're late. This is the DON sound. When you're early it does less knockback and has more combo potential. It plays the KAT sound.

Every time you up taunt, you are guaranteed to get the Don-chan face. Also every time you taunt with it, there's a small chance it will explode. Pacman shoots out Don chan heads that are much bigger than the average item he sends out. THe longer you hold this Don chan head the bigger it gets. They do Key damage. If you KO an opponent without taking damage, the entire stage explodes with a "FULL COMBO" sound effect playing and everyone gets knocked back.

The stage is probably Fourside and the song is Angel Dream from Taiko no Tatsujin.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984

I question if this bodes well for him. Though there's not really predicting who Sakurai picked.

Related news, look who gave a shoutout to Taiko today?
ArbysTaiko.png

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice

I question if this bodes well for him. Though there's not really predicting who Sakurai picked.

Related news, look who gave a shoutout to Taiko today?
View attachment 176399
Jibanyans a flippin lock but donny boy? I just hope hes treated better this time. Heh i bet people are going wtf right now like every time America is exposed to Taiko

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Oh no I'm 10 bucks short on buying Taiko switch I could of sworn it was 40. Oh well. I have Taiko 3ds anyways.

Damn you, Smash Ultimate

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Might be late to the party, but since playing Taiko no Tatsujin for Switch as I wait for Let’s Go Pikachu and Smash Bros Ultimate, I wouldn’t mind getting Don Chan as the Namco Rep. I support. :grin:

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Ladies and gents time to smash my switch Screen because i just bought it. Taiko won over WoFF on a coin toss

Last edited:

Sirkeuro

Smash Rookie
Also late here but I've been a Taiko no Tatsujin fan for a while and would love to see Don-Chan as a DLC fighter. I support :)

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Tikivoy
fogbadge
smashkirby
Famicomdisk
SegaGameBoy
I Never Felt It Before
JazzaDawg
smash puffle
NintenEdgyMan
AirMac1
NineS
Wurmple for Smash
Sir Keuro

There's more english supporters on Twitter (Notably PushDustin) but this is Smashboards...

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Welp. After thinking things through. I'd hate to say that Donny boy's inexplictly deconfirmed. Somewhere in an interview, Sakurai stated that characters have to be well known everywhere else. Taiko is hardly even that popular. relatively Popular in japan, sure but it never had caught on anywhere else no matter how much it tried. Taiko switch wasn't really that great either, neither did it sell that well after its first week. I thought he'd definitely get in but it pointed out to him just being a simple little head on a taunt still, as much as I couldn't find the head anywhere when I watch smash. In the end, america, and any country that isn't Japan thinks the taunt is just some yokai watch reference. I'll still support but not as much as I used to.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Welp. After thinking things through. I'd hate to say that Donny boy's inexplictly deconfirmed. Somewhere in an interview, Sakurai stated that characters have to be well known everywhere else. Taiko is hardly even that popular. relatively Popular in japan, sure but it never had caught on anywhere else no matter how much it tried. Taiko switch wasn't really that great either, neither did it sell that well after its first week. I thought he'd definitely get in but it pointed out to him just being a simple little head on a taunt still, as much as I couldn't find the head anywhere when I watch smash. In the end, america, and any country that isn't Japan thinks the taunt is just some yokai watch reference. I'll still support but not as much as I used to.
well i think reconizablity is retaliative i imagine theres a few characters who werent well reconized before smash

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
no it doesnt
Eh, it didn't sell well at all. But the Mario stuff in Bayonetta 2 and how much Nintendo loves advertising it makes it feel like she's partly 1s. But hey, taiko didn't do so well in America but it (kinda) gets the Bayonetta treatment in Japan so there's hopes.

Last edited:

McCree

Smash Cadet
WE. NEED. HIM

Seriously, it would be weird, but soooo cool, just like Piranha Plant ^^

Top Bottom