• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Tier List by SHI-G March '15 (Version 1.0.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
https://game8.jp/matome/22362
(Version 1.0.2)
Please do not post comments hating on the tier list just because you dislike the placement of a character.

S :
:4diddy:
A :
(High):4sheik: :4yoshi: :4sonic::rosalina:
(Mid):4wario: :4villager::4zss:
(Low):4fox:

B :
(High):4ness::4falcon::4mario:
(Mid):4pikachu: :4luigi::4rob::4megaman:
(Low):4pacman::4pit::4duckhunt:

C :
(High):4darkpit::4lucario::4greninja:
(Mid-High):4dedede::4tlink::4olimar::4metaknight:
(Mid-Low):4peach::4bowser:
(Low):4bowserjr::4littlemac:
D :
(High):4shulk::4miibrawl::4palutena:
(Mid):4gaw::4link::4drmario:
(Low):4miigun::4jigglypuff:

E :
(High):4robinm: :4falco::4dk::4kirby:
(Mid-High):4wiifit::4myfriends: :4ganondorf::4samus:
(Mid-Low):4zelda::4charizard::4marth:
(Low):4lucina::4miisword:

Rules:
WiiU Singles
Items off
Stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Omega Stages
2 stocks 6 minutes
Miis are default size, 1111 set.
(Not written in article, but customs off)

Voting:
Each of the 9 SHI-G members ranked each character as A-E, with A=10, B=8, C=7, D=6, and E=5. After the average of was taken, any character with an average score of >9=A, >8=B, >7=C, >6=D, and >5=E. Every member gets 2 votes for S tier; only a character with all members voting for it to be S-tier gets promoted to S.

S Tier Voting:
Diddy got the 9 votes needed to retain S-tier status. Shiek had 4 votes, while Sonic had 2.

Some Data:
The character with the biggest rise in score was Olimar, with +1.67, jumping from E tier to C tier. He had success at Apex and had his Pikmin AI buffed. Mario was a close second, with +1.62.
The character the worst fall was Lucario, with -1.82. The second largest drop was Jigglypuff with -0.8.
Mario, Captain Falcon, and Ness had the largest standard deviation with 0.994. (I think it's probably because they were debating between A tier which is worth 10 and B tier which is worth 8)

Quote from Tenuhe:
"In voting, I imagined a tier list where B and above is a placement where you can win tournaments straight-forwardly, C needs amazing player skill or gimmicky tactics to attempt to win a tournament, and anything D and below has their limit capped at top 8."

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
There are so many placements I don't agree with. I sometimes wonder just how different the meta is in Japan. If the split meta is anything like in Yu-Gi-Oh! then their Smash meta must be a very different meta to ours.

Last edited:

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
There are so many placements I don't agree with. I sometimes wonder just how different the meta is in Japan. If the split meta is anything like in Yu-Gi-Oh! then their Smash meta must be a very different meta to ours.
Japan has Abadango playing Wario, hence his higher placing. Japan also gets a lot of Bowser compared to the US I think. Japan also doesn't have someone like Nairo to demonstrate Robin. Japanese tounaments usually ban Delfino and Halberd, so some characters don't get their early kills off the top.

Last edited:

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I find funny that I can win to Diddy Kongs using Link, Lucina and WFT.

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
I find funny that I can win to Diddy Kongs using Link, Lucina and WFT.
Well, the tier list doesn't say you can't beat Diddy, just that you probably won't be winning any tournaments with those characters.

MegaSilver

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaSilver
I still love Marth. Marth's the guy that won me the "Beat Classic On Intensity 9 Without Losing A Single Life" challenge even.

These tier lists are always just how they perform in a tournament, right? Like, how many people here use Wario?

Also, what makes Lucina so bad that she's always at the bottom of lists?

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
SHI-G Tier list

S :
A :

B :

C :
D :

E :

Community Tier list:

S:4diddy::4sheik:
A:4pikachu::4ness::4yoshi::rosalina::4falcon::4zss::4sonic:
B:4lucario::4fox::4luigi:
C:4miibrawl::4peach::4mario::4shulk::4rob::4villager::4greninja::4megaman:
D:4robinf::4olimar::4pit::4wario::4kirby::4tlink::4link::4pacman:
E:4myfriends::4bowser: :4jigglypuff: :4duckhunt: :4darkpit::4metaknight:
F:4marth::4ganondorf::4lucina::4zelda::4falco::4littlemac::4dk::4bowserjr:
G:4samus::4dedede::4drmario::4wiifit::4palutena::4gaw::4charizard::4miigun:
H:4miisword:

Outliers (10 spots or more different):
First outlier (SHI-G), Wario.
First outlier (Community list), Pikachu.

List (Shi-G higher), maybe they know something we don't:
:4wario::4villager::4pacman::4duckhunt::4darkpit::4dedede::4bowserjr::4littlemac::4palutena::4gaw::4miigun:

List (SWF Community higher), maybe we know something they don't:
:4pikachu::4lucario::4peach::4shulk::4miibrawl::4robinm::4kirby::4myfriends::4marth::4lucina:

Consensus good characters (shared in top 13) 10/13 pretty strong consensus:

:4diddy::4sheik: :4yoshi: :4sonic::rosalina::4zss::4fox::4ness::4falcon::4pikachu:

Consensus bad characters (shared in bottom 13) 6/13, less strong consensus:

:4falco::4dk::4samus::4wiifit::4charizard::4miisword:

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mario above Luigi, Jigglypuff in C Tier, and Ike in bottom tier. I'd say this list is a bit less than credible.

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
Shulk, Link, Greninja and Ganon deserve to be higher in my my opinion
Then again, I haven't seen too many Japanese matches
Do they really play that differently from other countries?
Top tier is mostly the same though

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I find it strangely satisfying that I use at least one character out of every tier.

Also, is Link really worse than DDD? I get that DDD has more power but his moves are very very slow and easy to evade/dodge.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mario above Luigi, Jigglypuff in C Tier, and Ike in bottom tier. I'd say this list is a bit less than credible.
Makes me wonder how good their Marios are or how bad their Luigis are.

I'm more concerned with how immensely high Yoshi is on that list. Top 3? Wtf?

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Makes me wonder how good their Marios are or how bad their Luigis are.

I'm more concerned with how immensely high Yoshi is on that list. Top 3? Wtf?
Yoshi is an outstanding character, he deserves that spot more than anybody. But as biased as I am, even I draw the line somewhere. There is no way Mario is #12 while Luigi is #14. Then Doc is all the way at the bottom, which I've never understood. He's not THAT much worse than Mario, is he?

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Yoshi is an outstanding character, he deserves that spot more than anybody. But as biased as I am, even I draw the line somewhere. There is no way Mario is #12 while Luigi is #14. Then Doc is all the way at the bottom, which I've never understood. He's not THAT much worse than Mario, is he?
The doc has trash recovery. One of the most gimpable characters in the game.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Top 5, all of the A (high) characters are 10/10 unanimous.
Even when you go by that, that's still puzzling. Yoshi is definitely a top character (that somehow is not getting much rep here) but top 5 is stretching imo.

D

Deleted member

Wow, a lot of my mains are so low in the tier list. D:
It's interesting though to see that the top tiers are almost the same as the top tiers here in the west.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
The doc has trash recovery. One of the most gimpable characters in the game.
So does Mario.

That aside, I find it insane how Japan just keeps spitting out tier lists left and right. They're not even that good from the looks of it. Lucina the second worst character in the game? Diddy deserving his own tier? He's not Brawl MK, he doesn't deserve his own bloody tier.
I am, however, pleased to see that they place Meta Knight higher, around where he belongs, and the high tiers looks mostly accurate in my opinion (the lack of Luigi in top 10 is a bit odd though.)

Last edited:

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
Japanese metagames sure are interesting. What I do like to see is how the east v. west value certain characters such as wario in Japan and Luigi over here.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Even when you go by that, that's still puzzling. Yoshi is definitely a top character (that somehow is not getting much rep here) but top 5 is stretching imo.
Yoshi is #5 on the community tier list, I'm not saying they are more right or wrong than the Japanese group or the pro-made tier lists here.

Not a good reason. Ganondorf, Shulk, Mac, Fox, and Falcon all have bad recoveries, yet they're higher than him.
I would put ganon and mac below doc personally. All of the others, but shulk, have non-linear recovery options (side b plus up b). Shulk has jump mode and a pretty high vertical up b.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Also, what makes Lucina so bad that she's always at the bottom of lists?
MU across the board is bad,Her kill power is bad,Her hits on shield isn't safe,Poor recovery,Low reward out of throws. Then add on problems Marth has in Sm4sh.

--------

D3 gets bodied by so many characters i find it surprising that he's so high, although when you got Pit users throwing out fairs to reflect Gordos they'll obviously think D3 is a threat lol.

Edit: I don't agree with MKs placement but its much better than eventhub,swf and other ones that float around, best lists i've seen are the ones made by Shaya and berserk1 . Period.

Last edited:

Soul.

Why is marth so below? Is he THAT bad? I love using him :(
He lost a bunch of stuff that made him good in both Melee and Brawl, namely chain grabs, more range on his sword, short hop double FAir and the ability to nullify most of the cast.
This is not the case in Smash 4.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Yoshi is #5 on the community tier list, I'm not saying they are more right or wrong than the Japanese group or the pro-made tier lists here.

I would put ganon and mac below doc personally. All of the others, but shulk, have non-linear recovery options (side b plus up b). Shulk has jump mode and a pretty high vertical up b.
Side B is Back Slash which sends Shulk to his doom. Fire Fox is extremely linear and is probably the easiest recovery to intercept. Fox Illusion is also easily predicted. Falcon Dive only goes diagonal at first, then to the sides. Both are easily gimpable.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
He lost a bunch of stuff that made him good in both Melee and Brawl, namely chain grabs, more range on his sword, short hop double FAir and the ability to nullify most of the cast.
This is not the case in Smash 4.
Yeah, it's kinda sad really... He's still pretty fun to use though, just not AS good.

I pretty much agree with A and S except for Wario. The rest of them are definitely high/top tier. The middle of the tier is obviously gonna be pretty jumbled though, not enough is known about them yet to make a solid judgement on them. They need more people putting time into them and figuring out who goes where before people start agreeing that they're set in a certain tier. Of course, not everyone will agree.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Fox Illusion is also easily predicted.
But easily stopped?

Hitting Fox out of Fox Illusion is uncanny. Doing it consistently? More so. If they do it towards the ledge, good luck gimping that.

Not impossible, but highly improbable in comparison to most other recoveries.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, at least Palutena's getting some love there. It's like the same thing where Brawl Pit was getting love in JP, but not here.
Maybe they just like the KI characters more than we do, especially Pit and Pally.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
But easily stopped?

Hitting Fox out of Fox Illusion is uncanny. Doing it consistently? More so. If they do it towards the ledge, good luck gimping that.

Not impossible, but highly improbable in comparison to most other recoveries.
But it can be done, and that's all that matters.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Please do not post comments hating on the tier list just because you dislike the placement of a character.

S :
A :

B :

C :
D :

E :

Rules:
WiiU Singles
Items off
2 stocks 6 minutes

Voting:
Each of the 9 SHI-G members ranked each character as A-E, with A=10, B=8, C=7, D=6, and E=5. After the average of was taken, any character with an average score of >9=A, >8=B, >7=C, >6=D, and >5=E. Every member gets 2 votes for S tier; only a character with all members voting for it to be S-tier gets promoted to S.

S Tier Voting:
Diddy got the 9 votes needed to retain S-tier status. Shiek had 4 votes, while Sonic had 2.

Some Data:
The character with the biggest rise in score was Olimar, with +1.67, jumping from E tier to C tier. He had success at Apex and had his Pikmin AI buffed. Mario was a close second, with +1.62.
The character the wost fall was Lucario, with -1.82. The second largest drop was Jigglypuff with -0.8.
Mario, Captain Falcon, and Ness had the largest standard deviation with 0.994. (I think it's probably because they were debating between A tier which is worth 10 and B tier which is worth 8)

Quote from Tenuhe:
"In voting, I imagined a tier list where B and above is a placement where you can win tournaments straight-forwardly, C needs amazing player skill or gimmicky tactics to attempt to win a tournament, and anything D and below has their limit capped at top 8."
Am I the only one who actually like this tier list ? I dunno, it's just a tier list, but I found it more interresting.
But Diddy is still the best for people, even in Japan.

Different culture, yet same top tier character. How ironic.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I can't believe Zelda is above Marth.

Something about that is absolutely hilarious.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Good to see that Palutena is finally getting some love. However, I'm a bit curious about how DDD got up so high, and how Mario is considered better than Luigi.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Nice to see that Pacster and Wario do pretty well. Though it bums me that plenty my mains don't seem too favourable or even outright mediocre.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman

S :
A :

B :

C :
D :

E :

Rules:
WiiU Singles
Items off
2 stocks 6 minutes

Voting:

S Tier Voting:

Some Data:
The character the wost fall was Lucario, with -1.82. The second largest drop was Jigglypuff with -0.8.

Quote from Tenuhe:
"D or below has their limit capped at top 8"
Didn't Dapuffster's mii brawler come in 2nd against Zero in the biggest online tournament ever held?

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
"D or below has their limit capped at top 8"
Didn't Dapuffster's mii brawler come in 2nd against Zero in the biggest online tournament ever held?
This tier list uses 1111 miis. I'm pretty sure Dapuffster was using Helicopter Kick and other customs. In the last Japanese tier list with customs for miis Brawler was top tier. I'm pretty sure they changed to 1111 because of Apex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom