• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Nintendo Direct Recap

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
The Japanese Nintendo Direct earlier today while not having any news regarding Smash, still had lots of interesting information on Nintendo's upcoming plans and several new games were announced as well. Some of the more notable announcements include:
  • Dragon Quest VIII will be due out in Japan on 8/27 for ¥5,980 (Trailer)
  • Super Robot Taisen BX will be released in Japan on 8/20 for ¥6,640 (Trailer)
  • Tobidasu! Nyanko Daisensou (known as Battle Cats in the US) was released after the direct on the Japan eShop for ¥719 (Trailer)
  • News for the newest Fire Emblem including amiibo support and 'My Castle' mode. It will be released in Japan on 6/25 for ¥4,700
A lot of news for Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer. The game, amiibo cards, and 3DS amiibo portal will be released in Japan on 7/30, with several ways available to purchase them at varying price points.
  • Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer plus amiibo cards - ¥4000 Yen
  • Amiibo card packs - ¥300
  • Standalone 3DS amiibo portal - ¥2500
  • Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer plus 3DS amiibo portal plus amiibo cards - ¥5000
  • Limited edition New Nintendo 3DS LL (XL) with Happy Home Designer pre-installed - ¥22000
  • Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer New Nintendo 3DS cover plate (Kisekae) set - ¥2000

• Famicom Remix: 16 games from 1 & 2 and is largely like the Wii U version while featuring a speedy Mario game. It will be released in Japan on 8/27, for ¥3700
  • Pokemon Super Mysterious Dungeon details were announced. Players will be able to play as the entire roster of 720 Pokemon available in the series thus far though only 20 Pokemon will be able to be taken out at a time. The game will be released in Japan on 9/17 for ¥4700
  • A new Chibi Robo game was announced! Guru-Guru Chibi Robo 3DS looks to be a side scrolling game where players use the plug as a weapon and grappling hook while collecting blue orbs to extend its reach and breaking blocks. The game will also feature a Chibi Robo amiibo figure that can be leveled up during gameplay. Both will be released in Japan sometime this fall.

• Dr. Mario Gyakuten! Tokkouyaku & Saikin Bokumetsu (a new Dr. Mario game) has been released on the Japanese eShop. It includes new modes, versus play with online and local play as well. It was released after the direct and costs ¥880 (Trailer)
  • More details on Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games were released, including that the game would be for both Wii U AND 3DS despite the previous title in the series being a Wii U exclusive. Alongside classic games from the previous title come two notable additions in Golf and Rugby.
  • A sale was announced for Super Mario galaxy
  • A release date in Japan for Yoshi’s Woolly World was announced as well as other details for the game. Nintendo confirmed the game will include over 50 different types of Yoshi, with a wide array of different colors and patterns for players to choose from including the likes of Rainbow Yoshi, Piranha Yoshi, Winter Yoshi, Moo-Moo Yoshi, and Famicom Yoshi. There will also be amiibo functionality allowing players to make their Yoshi have the appearance of some of their favorite Nintendo characters. During the game, player will collect beads that are spread across across the levels to power special badges that will be used to unleash special powers. The game will be released in Japan on 7/16 with the amiibo costing ¥1800 each, the game costing ¥5700, and a set of both costing ¥7000.
  • Bowser Jr., Dr. Mario, and Olimar amiibo announced for Japanese release on 7/30 for ¥1,200 a piece.
  • A new Wii U exclusive title from the director of Tekken and Bandai-Namco was announced: Project Treasure. (Trailer)
  • Two new monster hunter titles, Monster Hunter X and Poka Poka Airou Village DX, were announced for the 3DS. Monster Hunter X looks to be focusing on more flashy moves and customizable hunting styles for each weapon having four different styles of play to choose from each with its own special moves. The game will be released in 2015.
  • Poka Poka Airou Village DX is essentially the Animal Crossing take on the Monster Hunter series with all of the "villagers" being Felynes. Baby monster eggs will be available to raise, such as Yian or Los. Special collaboration costumes with Mario and Animal Crossing outfits will be available too. It will be released in Japan on 9/10.
That's all for this Nintendo direct! Hopefully this recap will helped readers keep up with Nintendo news happening in Japan. Here's looking forward to E3 where hopefully we will get news on some of these titles coming to America!

SmashCapps is worn out from all the research and translation needed to write this article. To give him a pat on the back or keep up with all things Smash, follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
A Chibi-Robo sidescroller platformer?! It makes a lot of sense, but it's just so weird seeing it actually being made... Not a bad direct at all. Hopefully the next one won't just be a re-cap of everything shown here.

T0MMY

Smash Master
More excited about Project Treasure than anything else. Will look into it X^)

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Best part of the Direct was the Chibi Robo game imo. Looks like it plays amazing and generally looks amazing and cute <3

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
I ferl bad for the people who stayed the entire night waiting for Roy DLC annoucement.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Son of a B*TCH

I literally said the other day that now I have my Lucina amiibo, I am done with all future amiibo.

And now they add a Chibi Robo one.

God damn. I need that.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
No Smash news? So can we stop assuming now that anything Nintendo-related is going to include a character reveal?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Is it bad if the only thing I was excited for was Rugby in Mario vs. Sonic Olympics?

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
The Best thing for me is the New mystery dungeon of pokemon because I Love Gate of infinity and explore of Sky.
i WANT THE SUPER ONE.

And the new Monster Hunter Cross.
Suprised reveal Chibi-Robo game and Amiibo.
'Not excited but glad they show project treasure.

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
I have no idea why Nintendo thinks that the second spin off Chibi Robo in a row would be better than another main series game, especially with how the second main game was never even localized.

Anyway there are two redundant bit of text that I felt like pointing out.
Dragon Quest VIII will be released in Japan on 8/27 for 5,980 due out in Japan on 8/27 for ¥5,980(Trailer)
Players will be able to play as 720 the entire roster of 720 Pokemon available in the series
I think there was a third one, but I couldn't re-find where it was.

Soul.

I really, really hope the new Pokémon [Super] Mystery Dungeon game is good; I hear all 720 Pokémon are available. Now this is a good thing; I don't think Gates to Infinity had that.
Hoping the story is better but we'll see.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
inb4 the new Fire Emblem is rated M
We don't know yet what the english rating will be, in Japanese it's rated C (ages 15+). This rating could go either way for the states, but my guess is that Nintendo of America will push for a T-rating due to Nintendo not wanting their own IPs to get the M-rating (none of them have so far), because they want their IPs to maintain a family friendly image.

slambros

Smash Ace
Hopefully that Chibi-Robo game makes it to America. (Is there a sales figure for Photo Finder? Surely good sales of that game would push Chibi Robo towards America a little more.)

I might want that Amiibo portal. I mean, if I even own Amiibo at all, then it only makes sense in the long run.

That Olimar Amiibo is the one I really want, but unfortunately, the chance of that being a 'readily available' Amiibo is extremely minimal if even Villager is 'rare'.

That My Castle mode cements my purchase of Fire Emblem If. That's if my purchase wasn't already cemented.

The one thing I'm hoping for Mario & Sonic is some new characters. For the last three installments, there's been no playable character additions. At least expand a touch if the characters are essentially differentiated 3D models a la Mario Kart.

I might as well try Project Treasure if it's free.

I think that's all of my opinions.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game looks like it won't be crap, unlike the first 3DS Mystery Dungeon game that came out. That one was just awful.

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
And suddenly, I find myself wanting Marth and Ike amiibos. Thanks Fire Emblem!

Smasher89

Smash Lord
The yoshi trailer is very interesting, the part with 50 yoshiis might accidently have a ammibo reveal that can lead to a smash character reveal. Anyone finding a Yoshi with a resemblence towards Ice Climbers? Kinda LQ for me so i dont see anything.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
It's written "Tekkn" instead of "Tekken" in the Project Treasure text.

AniMoons

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ani-Moons
3DS FC
0275-8335-6873
i can't wait to rub cyrus' face with the new fe if face rub feature thing. also, CHIBI ROBO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother/EB

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1321-4166-0636
Not losing hope. E3 better have Mother 1+2+3 for 3DS and Wii U and Kid Icarus 4.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Fire emblem definitely got me most hyped, town building, character customization, Fire Emblem Amie, and a new Fish/Lizard/Squirrel race to recruit into battles??? Count me in! (BTW, those fish things are sooooooooo cute! It's gonna be weird seeing a Fire Emblem race that's not humanoid and bipedal in one form or another though.)

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I really, really hope the new Pokémon [Super] Mystery Dungeon game is good; I hear all 720 Pokémon are available. Now this is a good thing; I don't think Gates to Infinity had that.
Hoping the story is better but we'll see.
yeah i really hope it returns to the form of the first and second games where the story and settings were actually captivating.

Sonic Kirby Elric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonicfan08
3DS FC
1934-1829-6241
Nice! A new Mario and Sonic game! This proves that I have time to get the previous entry. Oh man, I better put that on my birthday wishlist to come with a new Wii U. (My GamePad can't stay an inch away from the console...)

Top Bottom