• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jan 24, 2015] Cincinnati Smash Forever - SSBU/SSBM/SSBPM (Cincinnati, Ohio)

Drephen

Smash Master
Thinking about going to this, not sure yet. Probably not entering smash 4 because of custom moves. Seriously, who has the time to learn all of those? Not appealing to the average tournament goer at all.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
I seriously think I'll make the drive to Cincy, always wanted to check out Arcade Legacy.

I'm a bit of a Smash tournament noob; are tournaments like these typically Bring Your Own Controller? I have a Wii U controller I can bring for Smash 4 but no GC controller for Melee or Project M...
Tournaments are definitely always bring your own controller, you can buy gamecube controllers new actually since the wii u version supports them now. Post in your local facebook group to try to get a carpool together for the tournament.

Try to get a carpool together in your local facebook group. Tournaments are definitely bring your own controller, however you can buy them new since smash 4 wiiu uses them.

Try to get a carpool together in your local facebook group. Tournaments are definitely bring your own controller, however you can buy them new since smash 4 wiiu uses them.

Thinking about going to this, not sure yet. Probably not entering smash 4 because of custom moves. Seriously, who has the time to learn all of those? Not appealing to the average tournament goer at all.
Definitely don't have to learn them all since most of them are similar to the regular or are like past iterations.
Hope to see you at the tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heropon_Riki

Smash Cadet
NNID
yojo98
Honestly, I think they're pretty appealing. They balence the game more, and most of them are pretty self explanitory. Sure it makes the game different, but I think that's good. I don't want it to end up like Brawl 2.0

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
I really want to go to this....

But I also REALLY want to go to a Pro Tour Qualifier for Magic....

Hmm, decisions...

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Considering half of them are unusable and only half of the good half are tournament viable, I don't see much reason to complain. Especially when the moves are basically "more damage bigger cooldown" or "better recovery but no hitbox".

tjdk2

Smash Cadet
Considering half of them are unusable and only half of the good half are tournament viable, I don't see much reason to complain. Especially when the moves are basically "more damage bigger cooldown" or "better recovery but no hitbox".
Yeah i don't like customs that much but they are purdy easy to adapt to unless it is palenta.....i heard she goes nuts!

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I'll be there with the lagless BenQ wonder and an HD recording setup for Project M. Gonna put up a fight if it's requested for Smash 4 this time, as I really want to capture PM HD matches featuring Columbus, Cinci, and everyone else who shows up! :p

Last edited:

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
NEOH can't make it.we're going to a Chicago tournament instead. Unfortunately it's 2 stock but there's no annoying customs for the TO to worry about.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
I'll be there with the lagless BenQ wonder and an HD recording setup for Project M. Gonna put up a fight if it's requested for Smash 4 this time, as I really want to capture PM HD matches featuring Columbus, Cinci, and everyone else who shows up! :p
I hope to have you as the chief recorder for PM matches, Daycia will be streaming/recording Smash 4.

I really want to go to this....

But I also REALLY want to go to a Pro Tour Qualifier for Magic....

Hmm, decisions...
PTQs are never as fun as smash tournaments. :happysheep:

What does it mean by "6:00 bracket begins"
I am going to need to leave around 6 or so so I can get to bed as I have work early Sunday morning.
Pools are a round robin format for playing that takes the top players from each pool and puts them into bracket. For example if I have 4 pools with 6 people each, I can take the top 2 from each pool, and put them into an 8 man final bracket.

Last edited by a moderator:

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
You know it takes like 15 minutes to load all of the wiius with customs using one 3DS, right?
That's assuming you have a 3DS with all the customs unlocked and that's per Wii U. Then you have the issue of matches taking longer because people are screwing around with setting up their custom moves on every setup that they play on. Then I would hope you have some sort of rule that if someone doesn't know what the custom moves do, you have to explain to them what they do. If you put that responsibility on the player to know every custom move I guess that's okay but then you have to have the person using the custom moves has to tell the other player which ones they are using.

I think/hope that custom moves will become short-lived just like custom stages in Brawl. When brawl came out, everyone kept trying to make standardized custom stages for tournament play. Just because something is in the game doesn't mean that you have to use it for tournaments. We take out all the items and no one bats an eye. I know that they add a random factor to the game, but I just don't see custom moves adding any value to the game.

CitrusRain

Smash Apprentice
That bit of Kentucky that has fried chicken.
NNID
CitrusRain
3DS FC
2079-7126-2128
Pools are a round robin format for playing that takes the top players from each pool and puts them into bracket. For example if I have 4 pools with 6 people each, I can take the top 2 from each pool, and put them into an 8 man final bracket.
So does that mean the actual part you compete in starts at 6:00PM?
Okay, so I might have to consider either not going, or leaving early. Or getting my brother to come along so I can make him drive home.

Darn working hours.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That's assuming you have a 3DS with all the customs unlocked and that's per Wii U. Then you have the issue of matches taking longer because people are screwing around with setting up their custom moves on every setup that they play on. Then I would hope you have some sort of rule that if someone doesn't know what the custom moves do, you have to explain to them what they do. If you put that responsibility on the player to know every custom move I guess that's okay but then you have to have the person using the custom moves has to tell the other player which ones they are using.

I think/hope that custom moves will become short-lived just like custom stages in Brawl. When brawl came out, everyone kept trying to make standardized custom stages for tournament play. Just because something is in the game doesn't mean that you have to use it for tournaments. We take out all the items and no one bats an eye. I know that they add a random factor to the game, but I just don't see custom moves adding any value to the game.
In non-custom events, the community has already flipped its **** over Sheik, Rosalina, Greninja, and Diddy and you don't see a value? -_^

Customs are a piece of cake man. It's been done enough to where someone saying "it's a hassle" is just seen as ignorant rather than some guy with an opinion. Hearing it's too much of a hassle to load customs is like hearing someone say "it's too much of a hassle to do stage striking, why not do random". Progress marches onnnnnnnn

Kel

Smash Master

- We have multiple people with 3DSes with the most-used custom sets preset on their 3DS. If someone without a 3DS requires an odd custom set they are supposed to inform the TO prior to the event so that it is readily available.
-Many people in this area already have their Wiius loaded with the customs from having attended tournaments in the past.
-You cannot make a custom set mid-tournament.
-You are supposed to tell your opponent if you are using custom moves if they ask. You are not required to explain what the moves do or your strategy with it. That onus is on you to know what's going on as it would be with a character's standard set.
-your second paragraph makes me believe that you in fact do not care about the extra "strain" on the TO; rather, you just don't like customs. Your first reply was strictly in regards to the customs making things more difficult for the TO. They aren't. We've ran multiple tournaments with them on with no extra strain.

Customs are not the same as items and you know it.

Believe me, I understand the knee-jerk reaction of not wanting customs because they change the way smash is played compared with the past. However, I gave them a shot and got over myself pretty quickly after realizing they add good depth to the game. Just imagine if we had customs in brawl. Metaknight may not have been as big of a problem if we had a bunch of different moves to choose from to deal with him.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
So does that mean the actual part you compete in starts at 6:00PM?
Okay, so I might have to consider either not going, or leaving early. Or getting my brother to come along so I can make him drive home.

Darn working hours.
Everyone in the tournament plays their pools from 1:00 - 6:00. Only the top players from their respective pools will move onto the final bracket. Round robin pools are used to determine seeding but also to give new players a chance to play many people rather than just two in a double elimination bracket.

CitrusRain

Smash Apprentice
That bit of Kentucky that has fried chicken.
NNID
CitrusRain
3DS FC
2079-7126-2128
Everyone in the tournament plays their pools from 1:00 - 6:00. Only the top players from their respective pools will move onto the final bracket. Round robin pools are used to determine seeding but also to give new players a chance to play many people rather than just two in a double elimination bracket.
Cool. Then I will definitely attend.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
I'm looking forward to being there tomorrow! This will be my first tournament in Cincy since 2010, and my first time at Arcade Legacy. Can't wait!

Kel

Smash Master
I think I'm going to end up going to this. I haven't played Smash at all since OS's tournament on December 27th and I'm jonesing. Plus I want to support 3 stock with customs as a standard. I just hope it isn't changed to 2 stock like the last CSR was =(

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm looking forward to being there tomorrow! This will be my first tournament in Cincy since 2010, and my first time at Arcade Legacy. Can't wait!
AL is a good place. Bad location to get to for a lot of us, but good place. You should definitely bring some extra spending money as there is a lot of stuff you'd be interested in.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I think I'm going to end up going to this. I haven't played Smash at all since OS's tournament on December 27th and I'm jonesing. Plus I want to support 3 stock with customs as a standard. I just hope it isn't changed to 2 stock like the last CSR was =(
man I haven't been to a tournament since OS's second tournament in October

also mm?

edit: misread "haven't played" as "haven't gone to a tourney" lol

Last edited:

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
AL is a good place. Bad location to get to for a lot of us, but good place. You should definitely bring some extra spending money as there is a lot of stuff you'd be interested in.
I almost forgot to budget in extra money for that! I must see what games they have for sale and such x.x

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Won't be carpooling this event because I have a bit of an early morning Sunday so I'll be trying to get back home as early as possible. Don't know about SoulPech, though.

Kidbuu42

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kidbuu42
For anyone who's going today and might not know, I'm shooting a documentary about the arcade and gaming communities. I'll be shooting footage of people playing and looking for short interviews from people who typically aren't regulars for Thursday night. I need some new faces!

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Our carpool will be leaving in about 15 mins and should be there in about 2 hours, barring traffic, snow, and stopping for food.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
For anyone who's going today and might not know, I'm shooting a documentary about the arcade and gaming communities. I'll be shooting footage of people playing and looking for short interviews from people who typically aren't regulars for Thursday night. I need some new faces!
Well that's pretty cool. Is the documentary for a school project or anything? Or is it just something you wanted to do?

Kidbuu42

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kidbuu42
Well that's pretty cool. Is the documentary for a school project or anything? Or is it just something you wanted to do?
It's a capstone project that determines whether or not I actually get a degree for the last few years I went to college. Definitely something I want to do to help out Arcade Legacy, but at the same time, a pretty big deal for me lol

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
@ PiBs PiBs I might be a little late to sign-ups. I'm on my way down now and I'm just entering Smash 4.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
We're running late too.

DtJ Hilt, DtJ Imma Eat Data, and Son-in-Law for Wii U.

We'll be there in like fifteen minutes.

theleeryone

Smash Rookie
First tourney I've ever been to, got eight stocked in PM pools. Still somehow managed to win a set.

I wanted to thank you guys for putting this all together. It was pretty great and I'll try to come to some more in the future.

Top Bottom