• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jan 17, 2015] [ZTD] GV Grand Prix 3 Melee and PM Singles! (Allendale, MI)

T r a n

Smash Cadet

GV Grand Prix 3 - January 17, 2015 - Allendale, Michigan
The Grand Valley State University Super Smash Bros. Club is welcoming the new year and new semester with our 3rd installment of the GV Grand Prix. This time we will be accompanied by ZeroToDeath as our streaming partner.

Where?
- 1110 Kirkhof Center, 1 Campus Drive, Allendale, MI 49401. (Grand Valley State University)
- Room 2215/2216 (it's right next to the Pere Marquette room, where our first two events were held)
- Parking in Most GVSU lots by Kirkhof Center is free on weekends

When?
- January 17, 2015

Tentative Schedule (Subject to change for now):
10 AM - Venue Opens
11:20 AM - PM singles registration ends
11:30 AM - PM singles pools start
12:50 PM - Melee singles registration ends
1:00 PM - Melee singles pools begin
2:30 PM - Food break
3:00 PM - Melee singles bracket begins
6:00 PM - PM singles bracket begins
10 PM - Venue Closes

General Information:
$5 Venue Fee (will be refunded if you bring a full Melee/Project M 3.5 setup we use until Brackets reach top 8)
$5 Melee Singles (with pools)
$5 Project M Singles (with pools)
What constitutes a set up? Either Gamecube or Wii w/Melee disc or a Wii w/Project M and a CRT TV

Payouts for Both Events:
Less than 32 entrants = 60/30/10
32-47 entrants = 50/25/15/10
48+ entrants = 48/25/11/8/4(x2)

Rules:
[collapse="General Rules"] - Players who fail to report to their match within 5 minutes of it being announced will lose their first game of the match. After 10 minutes without reporting to their match, players will be disqualified from the tournament.
- Coaching is only allowed between tournament matches. Excessive coaching will not be tolerated.
- Bracket matches take priority over friendlies and money matches. The TO reserves the right to prematurely end any match.
- Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
- Wireless controllers are discouraged due to interference and unreliability.
- Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks. If there is any doubt in the ruling of a pausing incident, stop what you are doing and CALL ONE OF THE TOs TO YOUR MATCH.
- The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
- Any hacks or mods applied to a setup may be inspected by a TO, who reserves the right to have those hacks disabled if they are deemed inappropriate for tournament play.[/collapse]

[collapse="Project M and Melee Rules:"]
Project M and Melee Rules:
- Items set to OFF and NONE.
- 4 stock, 8:00 timer
- Friendly Fire ON (doubles).
- Sets are played best two out of three games, with Loser's Finals, Winners Finals, and Grand Finals matches being played best three of five.
- Dave's Stupid Rule - Players may not counterpick any stage that they won on. Winners may choose not to invoke DSR.
- Gentleman's Clause - Players may play on any stage if agreed on by all players.
- If a game times out, the winner is determined by stock, and then percentage. If both stock and percentage are the same, the game should be replayed in full.
- If Sudden Death occurs at the end of the game, play a one stock, three minute game with the same characters and stage.
- Giga Bowser, Master Hand, etc. are banned.

Playing a Set
1. Best of one Rock Paper Scissors for port priority if requested.
2. Double Blind character selection if requested.
3. Highest port priority strikes first. (Gentleman Rule)
4. Strike order (number refers to which player is striking):
Melee: 1-2-1
Project M: 1-2-1
[Play Game]
5. Winner bans stages. Bans may be reapplied per game.
6. Loser selects stage.
7. (Optional) Winner selects character.
8. Loser selects character.
9. Repeat steps 5-8 until set is complete.

Melee Specific Rules
- Wobbling is allowed.
- Bans: Winner may ban one stage per game.

Project M Specific Rules
- Input assist OFF.
- Bans: Winner may ban 3 stages per game
[/collapse]

Stages (Subject to change):
[collapse="Melee Stages "]
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Story
- Dreamland 64
- Fountain of Dreams
- Pokemon Stadium (singles counterpick only)
[/collapse]

[collapse="Project M Singles Stages "]
Starter
- Battlefield
- Dreamland
- Green Hill Zone
- Pokémon Stadium 2
- Smashville

Counterpick
- Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
- WarioWare
- Yoshi's Island (Melee)
- Final Destination
- Fountain of Dreams
- Norfair
- Distant Planet [/collapse]

Near the area? Join our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/370922183056265/

Last edited:

Jayhawker

Smash Apprentice
I'm planning on going, hopefully a couple of my friends can come too :D I told one of them about this, and his only question was "what's the cash prize?". He's in it to win it XD

T r a n

Smash Cadet
I'm really interested in going. does it matter what our age is?
No it doesn't, anyone and everyone is welcome to enter or just play in the venue as long as you pay the necessary venue and/or entry fee. We've had high schoolers enter our tournaments before, should be no problem, we don't discriminate. Most tournaments do not have an age requirement.

I'm planning on going, hopefully a couple of my friends can come too :D I told one of them about this, and his only question was "what's the cash prize?". He's in it to win it XD
Cash Prize is in the "Payouts" section of the first post. The $5 fee for each event from each entrant will be used to form the pot. So for example, if 30 people enter Project M and 40 people enter Melee, that means PM's pot will be $150 and melee's pot will be $200. We will divide the pot between the top 3-5 finishers, which also depends on how many entrants there are.

As a side not, our next tournament taking place next month might see an increase in entry fee (up to $10), which would mean a pot that is twice as big for the winners, as well as possibly some other prize for 1st since we will be partnered with the school for that tournament.

Hopefully we'll see you guys there!

Jayhawker

Smash Apprentice
Looks like I can make it! :D
Cash Prize is in the "Payouts" section of the first post. The $5 fee for each event from each entrant will be used to form the pot. So for example, if 30 people enter Project M and 40 people enter Melee, that means PM's pot will be $150 and melee's pot will be $200. We will divide the pot between the top 3-5 finishers, which also depends on how many entrants there are.
Hopefully we'll see you guys there!
And yes, I know how the payouts work, my friend was just wondering because he's so confident he'll win I guess :p

Top Bottom