• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab UP B Mix Ups

EpOc-Samydoo

Smash Cadet
NNID
S_landreville
As a luigi main I can gladly tell you that this mix up is great, do not use this to much because they will catch on to it but mostly it will work the first time you will use this.People will usualy not expect this because they expect you to finish the jab, also if they catch on to it you can wait for sheild and punish with grab.Keep in mind this kills EARLY

Pyr

Smash Lord
If you're playing someone competent, it'll never work. The entire cast can shield before Up-B comes out or has a way to hit you after jab, either before they land (anyone with an aerial frame 5 or faster) or after (high gravity characters with a frame 2 jab).

It's more useful to do a D-Smash/Tilt, grab, or shield mixup. That said, Jab > anything fails to work on a fair number of the cast because Luigi can't even shield after Jab 2 and be safe. It's finish the Jab combo or bust. I say Jab 2 because it lets you act 1 frame faster than Jab 1.

The only reason it would work is:

a) opponent doesn't know the matchup
b) opponent accidently air-dodged while trying to shield on landing/buffered shield/buffered an aerial that isn't fast enough to beat it AND has enough landing lag to make the hit possible.

Last edited:

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
If you're playing someone competent, it'll never work. The entire cast can shield before Up-B comes out or has a way to hit you after jab, either before they land (anyone with an aerial frame 5 or faster) or after (high gravity characters with a frame 2 jab).

It's more useful to do a D-Smash/Tilt, grab, or shield mixup. That said, Jab > anything fails to work on a fair number of the cast because Luigi can't even shield after Jab 2 and be safe. It's finish the Jab combo or bust. I say Jab 2 because it lets you act 1 frame faster than Jab 1.

The only reason it would work is:

a) opponent doesn't know the matchup
b) opponent accidently air-dodged while trying to shield on landing/buffered shield/buffered an aerial that isn't fast enough to beat it AND has enough landing lag to make the hit possible.
I wonder if you could replace the jab with Utilt, since it's knockback forces people into the air. I justed tested it, and it can be jabbed out of. So it might not be safe either.

So just a small side note.

EpOc-Samydoo

Smash Cadet
NNID
S_landreville
Yes i know i can be sheilded and jabed out of, thats the main reason i said not to use it much against new tourney players, this works just once a set and make sure to mix it up so they do not expect it like always finishing jab or trying to get a grab after. After all this isnt the safest option but its definitely a good gamble, also its good very early since they will expect a grab or another jab,

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Also, dtilt> Up b is true if they trip up all the way to 55%. Though you might get a chase if you read a spotdodge or they expect a different option.

Tomazzz

Smash Rookie
Certain characters can't shield they must jump based on % it's up to them to figure that out within a second so yea go for it near ledge it kills at 60 and is safe if you can grab ledge after....

RequiemRedStar

Smash Cadet
I mean, it's pretty safe by the edge as most of you already know since up B lag can be ledge grab cancelled. However I'm finding that doing jab mixups doesn't work very well against mash happy players and characters that tend to mash out of things like falcon

Top Bottom