• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab to RAR-Bair Tips

9999eachhit

Smash Rookie
Hi! I'm sure we are all aware of Tweek's stellar GOML Roy run. One thing that stood out to me was his excellent use of jab to RAR bair as a reliable kill-confirm. I feel this is a bread and butter for any good Roy main so I have taken to training mode to lab it out. There is one glaring issue i can't seem to get around and that is how to not have roy do the initial dash animation before the RAR bair comes out. When I watched Tweek do it (and other user's of roy) it seems as though they jump immediately after the jab and are already turned the right direction. I thought maybe he was doing some attack canceling magic (a skill that is still a work in progress for me) but i saw in a reddit post that he said this was not the case. So, does anyone have any tips on how to make the RAR back air come out immediately after the jab? The way I have been able to pull it off, roy's dash animation comes out first and I believe that small window prevents it from being a true combo. Is there some "instant RAR" tech I am missing out on?

Phatty

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1kjQtMaPkE
Mysmashcorner did a great video about this. Go to 6min 20sec. He called it an "instant reverse aerial rush" but in order to do it, you have to either claw grip or set a shoulder button to jump.

Press forward on the control stick to start your initial dash and hold this direction during the entire technique
at any point during your initial dash animation flick the c-stick in the opposite direction
press jump after flicking the c-stick

Your character will perform a Bair on the first possible frame while preserving your forward momentum so getting the sweetspot is almost guaranteed if you do it right. Also, you won't have to go through your entire initial dash, unlike a normal RAR Bair. I'm not exactly sure how Tweek did it but that's the method that I've used on my other characters. Inkling can get Fthrow>Fair, and Fox can mix Bair into his combo trees much easier with this method. I tested it with Roy/Chrom and it works very well.

9999eachhit

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1kjQtMaPkE
Mysmashcorner did a great video about this. Go to 6min 20sec. He called it an "instant reverse aerial rush" but in order to do it, you have to either claw grip or set a shoulder button to jump.

Press forward on the control stick to start your initial dash and hold this direction during the entire technique
at any point during your initial dash animation flick the c-stick in the opposite direction
press jump after flicking the c-stick

Your character will perform a Bair on the first possible frame while preserving your forward momentum so getting the sweetspot is almost guaranteed if you do it right. Also, you won't have to go through your entire initial dash, unlike a normal RAR Bair. I'm not exactly sure how Tweek did it but that's the method that I've used on my other characters. Inkling can get Fthrow>Fair, and Fox can mix Bair into his combo trees much easier with this method. I tested it with Roy/Chrom and it works very well.
Wow, thanks a lot! I labbed it out in training mode and was able to hit it most of the time in just a couple hours! Committing it to muscle memory is my new beast but at least I can actually perform the tech. Thanks again, friend!

Ceru

Smash Rookie
Search up Izaw's "Art of Roy" on YouTube.

Or read here:
* Bind a shoulder button to Jump, I use R
* Input: Forward > Back > R > Forward C Stick

This is the best input method cause it allows for a fullhop variant unlike the attack canceled version, the shoulder button allows for superior control over your momentum compared to X/Y.

I was able to land it like 90% of the time after about an hour in the lab, took me a bit to get used to it after using the attack canceling method for so long.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Search up Izaw's "Art of Roy" on YouTube.

Or read here:
* Bind a shoulder button to Jump, I use R
* Input: Forward > Back > R > Forward C Stick

This is the best input method cause it allows for a fullhop variant unlike the attack canceled version, the shoulder button allows for superior control over your momentum compared to X/Y.

I was able to land it like 90% of the time after about an hour in the lab, took me a bit to get used to it after using the attack canceling method for so long.
I've been looking for this for so long x.x. google just keeps bringing up attack cancel results lol. TY

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
Dude i literaly only needed the inputs because i didnt know what was going on... thank you!

Top Bottom