• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab into Fair>Footstool combo.

mZuzek

Smash Rookie
NNID
mZuzek
Yes, I'm new around here. But I didn't come to this forum for introductions, I came here to share the goods. :happysheep:

So I believe everyone around here knows about Fox's deadly fair to footstool combo. However, what I just found out is a crazy setup leading into it. Behold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc_GMrhdCFg

Essentially, if you get a jab near the ledge and go into your rapid jabs, both characters fall off the stage (unless you hold the rapid jabs for longer than usual). This had happened to me a couple of times in tournament sets, and it used to annoy me. However, what I just realized is, since you fall right alongside your opponent, this could possibly lead to a footstool combo.

So I tried testing this out today and actually struggled at first because the CPU on training mode always jumps as fast as possible when offstage and would escape the combo almost every time - that led me to believe that this wasn't a guaranteed combo. However, when I tried slowing the game down to 1/4 speed and tried to get the timing on the fair perfectly, I could actually do it before the CPU could do anything.

So yes, this is 100% absolutely a true combo, that is if you're frame perfect - and if you're not, well, it's still most likely going to work more often than not because in order to escape it, your opponent would have to be frame perfect as well. I just thought this was a cool find and though it is situational, it can be extremely deadly as it's essentially a 2 frame 0-to-death.

And if this combo was already common knowledge, well, I'm sorry, I guess... and disappointed too.

D

Deleted member 269706

Hey this is great, thank you for sharing! While it is a very situational tactic, having the extra knowledge is great!

Also, welcome to the boards my man! You should totally join the discord group if you haven't already!

mZuzek

Smash Rookie
NNID
mZuzek
Just a little update: this is not always an actual true combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC3PF-LxS1U

In this video from the Beefy Smash Doods, they cover a lot about grab releases - and somewhere halfway in there, about those grab releases where both characters fall off the ledge together. Essentially, they explain that the height in which the characters end up after the grab release is relative to their fall speed.

This is also applied to the jab>fair setup, and thus makes it so this combo only really works against fast fallers, since any other character will end up above Fox and will be able to easily escape the fair. I haven't done much testing to know exactly up to which characters this works on, but as a general rule it will always be a true combo on fast fallers.

Top Bottom