• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab frame trap

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I don't have recording equipment sadly however when You jab and hold the perfect down and away angle so You buffer a duck. There is enough stun and time from their start up grab to duck before their grab comes out.

Then You can tap A as You please just poking and preventing air options. Now they can grab the 3 frames before jab hits but that would be the hardest read to make.

Vs falcon and gannon who have weak cc options vs watch it basically makes shielding a lose lose and You can chase a roll with a fair and reset the pressure if You don't want to risk a shield poke or grab.

Could see it pulling a lot of weight vs sheik/marth/falco. Peach just cc punish to hard sometimes and most peaches never grab oos anyhow

ThatLittleFatGirl

Smash Rookie
Couldn't they just SDI the jabs???
I could see this working as maybe a once or twice thing in a match.
Down tilt overall would likely be the better option after ducking a grab.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
It's risk less shield pressure where You can wait to chase after any possible option You want d tilt can't do that.

ThatLittleFatGirl

Smash Rookie
If you duck a grab they would still be in the ending of the grab animation and you'd still have time to D-tilt. They wouldn't have enough time to shield after they grab, same thing on how puff can duck a grab and jump into rest in time.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying punish with jab, I'm saying how it's better than straight up duck in front of their shield cause it can peak them if they try to jump oos or grab when watch rises his head up.

If You see the whiff grab cause of this by all means d tilt, grab what have You

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If you duck a grab they would still be in the ending of the grab animation and you'd still have time to D-tilt. They wouldn't have enough time to shield after they grab, same thing on how puff can duck a grab and jump into rest in time.
I'm also worried that they could simply let themselves get hit by the jab and crouch cancel grab. But you're saying this jab cancel to duck is fast enough to get under the grab, right?

Bench

Smash Rookie
I can confirm that this setup works. We (OP and I) tested it on a variety of chars. Definely works against Falcon and Ganon

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I can confirm that this setup works. We (OP and I) tested it on a variety of chars. Definely works against Falcon and Ganon
You know I know a bunch of viable low tier meta that'll never see the light of day

Top Bottom