• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Jab Cancel to N-Air Kill Setup

Cyro

Airborne
Canceling a rapid jab was known by a few other Falco users pre-patch.
It never really held a use, seing as how no follow-ups were guaranteed.
Recently, patch 1.08 was released and Falco's Nair now connects a lot better.​

Note:
  • This works on any stage.​
  • The kill-setup really only works on heavyweights.​
  • You would have to use this at around 145% to 165% depending on how heavy the character is.​
  • It might work on lighter characters, but if it does it's extremely difficult to pull off.​
  • As for the tech itself, it's always possible at lower percentages regardless of weight.​
Feel free to ask any questions.​

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
You think this worked pre patch? I never noticed it tbh man great find especially with the new nair.

I'm gonna try and see if you can use fair in it as well.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
neato~ falco got so much better in this update, i can't wait til people realize how good he is now.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Huh, rapid jab near the ledge to Reflector Void... Might be a bit too slow, but Fair might work.

Cyro

Airborne
Anything besides Nair and maybe the reflector aren't guaranteed followups from the jab cancel. They're capable of escaping by jumping out or airdodging since the start up just takes too long, but I suppose if your opponent doesn't see them coming it's a decent option to Uair or Fair (I also did like the Phantasm mix-up).

Cyro

Airborne
RED did this.
Right, my friend showed that to me this morning right after he uploaded it.

I find it weird because I've tried that exact same forward air setup but the final hit of the jab didn't send them vertical enough.

Last edited:

Beta_Brawler

Smash Rookie
Right, my friend showed that to me this morning right after he uploaded it.

I find it weird because I've tried that exact same forward air setup but the final hit of the jab didn't send them vertical enough.
DI?

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
If you jab cancel on the ledge, and then immediately side special onto stage, and then follow that with a second side special, the ending lag of the first side special is notably shorter. Is this known already, or is this just some random thing with the jab cancel?

SkidFireX

Smash Rookie
sounds similar to a buffered SH phantasm.
Aerial phantasms i believe have faster landing lag and can be done in quick succession.

more in this thread. http://smashboards.com/threads/new-technique-for-falco-iap-and-personal-assessment.374714/

on a side note, despite the buffs i feel falco is getting worse with no approach moves and terribily slow moves. (yes i'm morton salty)

picked up puff and having fun so there's that i guess

also is anyone else having the reflector break more easier with 1.08? used to be able to stop so many rush down moves but now i get punished hard. looking at you falcon

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I have no idea... Maybe Cyro knows? Mind if I merge this with the Jab Cancel to N-Air Kill Setup thread? Might as well have that be the main ledge Jab Cancel thread. So, this would be the ledge cancel Falco Phantasm quirk?

Domin0

Smash Rookie
I accidentally did a FAir after this jab cancel the other day, and it killed. The best thing about this is that people don't know Falco, so this will catch most people by surprise. The Phantasm back on stage is really good, but most will recover from it if they are paying attention or at low percentages. I also really like the UAir, cause that leads to so many other things post patch.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Yeah I landed that on terabyte when we were playing friendlies on Saturday,..it's smoooooth

Referring to jab cancel fair ko

Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Question about how to perform this tech: Should I be holding any particular direction while I jab or should my left stick be neutral?

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Question about how to perform this tech: Should I be holding any particular direction while I jab or should my left stick be neutral?
Nah you shouldn't have to hold any direction for it to cancel. You just need to be in a position where it will cancel. Edge of a ledge or platform

Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Nah you shouldn't have to hold any direction for it to cancel. You just need to be in a position where it will cancel. Edge of a ledge or platform
Thanks! I've done it quite a few times, but was never sure if the direction I held the left stick mattered.

I think this is a significant Falco tech. As others above have done, jab cancel to fair is devastating against characters with sub par UpB recoveries (Marth, Lucina, Roy, Falcon, Ganondorf, etc)

Top Bottom