• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

J-Stars Victory Vs. Topic (Plus Update Confirmed for Summer 2015 Western Release)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
J-Stars Victory Vs. (originally named Project Versus J) is a team battle action video game that combines the universes of several Shonen Jump series. It will be released by Namco Bandai Games for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita in 2013. The game was first announced in December 2012, in the second 2013 issue of Weekly Shōnen Jump. It was made to commemorate the 45th anniversary of Jump, and is presented as the "ultimate Jump game." J-Stars Victory Vs. features characters from Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Naruto, and Toriko. There are more characters to come since fans recently had the chance to vote for their favorite characters (which is closed a few days ago) whether they are protagonists, female, or villains. Knowing it's Sony exclusive release, Nintendo didn't want to contribute like it did for the Jump Stars games. It appears to be based on Dragon Ball Zenkai Battle in terms of the style and engine, complete with massive stages and destructive terrain in frenzied battles. It does have a hint of Jump Ultimate Stars gameplay since you can have invincibility when getting up from an attack and support attacks involving support characters like Junichi Jaguar. It comes along with some new mechanics like a Crisis Mode and combination attacks. A new updated release under the name of J-Stars Victory VS+ will be heading to the West and it will have a summer release. Not much had been know about any newcomers or new features, but the game will have a brand new Arcade Mode (There's also the small possibility of characters being cut for licensing issues).

Attention, J-Stars Victory VS+ will be heading to America, Europe, the Middle East, and Australia on Summer 2015!

Playable Characters
Son Goku (Dragon Ball)
Vegeta (Dragon Ball)
Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin)
Toriko (Toriko)
Zebra (Toriko)
Naruto Uzimaki (Naruto)
Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto)
Kankichi Ryotsu (Kochikame)
Gintoki Sakata (Gintama)
Taro Yamada (Chinyuki)
Gon Freecs (Hunter x Hunter)
Yusuke Yurameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho
Medaka Kurokami (Medaka Box)
Boa Hancock (One Piece)
Tsunayoshi Sawada (Reborn!)
Oga Tatsumi (Beelzebub)
Jonathan Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Joseph Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Meisuke "Nube" Nueno (Hell Teacher Nube)
Koro-Sensei (Ansatsu Kyou****su)
Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya)
Makoto Shishio (Rerouni Kenshin)
Admiral Akainu (One Piece)
Freiza (Dragon Ball)
Madara Uchiha (Naruto)
Sosuke Aizen (Bleach)
Younger Toguro (Yu Yu Hakusho)
Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)
Raoh (Fist of the North Star)
Saiki Kusuo (Saiki Kusuo no Sainan)
Bobobo (Bobobo-Bobo-Bobobo)
Luckyman (Totemo! Luckyman)
Arale Norimaki (Dr. Slump)
Hiei (Yu Yu Hakusho)
Killua Zoldyck (HunterxHunter)
Momotaro Tsurugi (Sakigate! Otokojuku)
Portgaz D. Ace (One Piece)

Support Characters
Junichi Jaguar (Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar)
Misogi Kumagawa (Medaka Box)
Chitoge Kirisaki (Nisekoi)
Lala Satalin Deviluke (To Love Ru)
Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
Kagura (Gintama)
Sket Dan (Sket Dance)
Tetsuya Kuroko (Kuroko no Basuke)
Nogami Neuro (Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro)
Allen Walker (D.Gray-man)
Hisoka (HunterxHunter)
Hinata Shouyou (Haikyu!!)
Heihachi Edajima (Sakigate! Otokojuku)

Stages
Alabasta (One Piece)
Hidden Leaf Village (Naruto)
Vegetable Sky (Toriko)
Planet Namek (Dragon Ball)
Soul Society (Bleach)
Dark Tournament Stadium (Yu Yu Hakusho)
Juppongatana HQ Rooftop (Rurouni Kenshin)
Edo City Central (Gintama)
Sanctuary (Saint Seiya)
Katsushika City (Kochikame)
Penguin Village (Dr. Slump)
Tenrai Kyoushin Battle Ground (Sakigate!! Otokojuko)

Anisound Edition (J-Stars Victory Versus Special Edition) Soundtrack

One Piece - "We Are"
Naruto - "Go"

Dragon Ball - "Cha-la Head-cha-la"
Yu Yu Hakusho - "Hohoemi no Bakudan"
Toriko - "Gatsu Gatsu"
Bleach - Asterisk"
HunterxHunter - "Desparture"
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure "Sono chi no Sadame"
Beelzebub - "Dadada"
Gintama - "Pray"
Medaka Box - "Happy Crazy Box"
Kochikame - "Katsuhishika Rhapsody"
Hell Teacher Nube - "Bari Bari Saikyou"
Reborn! - "Listen to the Stereo"
Saint Seiya - "Pegasus Sanctuary"
Fist of the North Star - "You wa Shock"
Tottemo! Luckyman - "Luckyman's Song"
Bobobo-bobo-bobo - "Baka Survivor"
Dr. Slump - Arale-chan - "Waiwai World"
Sakigake!! Otokojuko - "Yogorecchimatta Kanashimi Ni"

Are any of you excited for the game's localization?

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm hoping it has a good representation of series in this game, so nothing like 8 characters from one manga.
In Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, they had a good amount of series, so if this game aims for something like that, I'll be happy.

Also it would be nice if it's not just characters from battle manga.
I would've typed which characters I'd like to see, but it'd basically be JUS's roster and then some.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
JUS was a very fun game and I enjoyed it very much. I also played Battle Stadium D.O.N and that was a nightmare. So I don't know what to expect from this one.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I didn't know about this, also don't know what to think. I'll wait for videos for now.

One Piece and Dragon Ball are covered, all I really want to see would be Hunter x Hunter and JoJo's.

Gintama and Yu Yu Hakusho would be cool too.

finalark

SNORLAX
I would say that it would be awesome if this came out in Western territories, but given how copy right laws are in NA (not sure about Europe), it's unlikely.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I would say that it would be awesome if this came out in Western territories, but given how copy right laws are in NA (not sure about Europe), it's unlikely.
It could happen since Namco Bandai recently bought a Japanese and English trademark for the game, though it's most likely going to Europe physically knowing the history of non 4-Kids One Piece video game releases. Then again, it can have a English translated, Japanese subbed digital release like One Piece Pirate Warriors.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Who the heck is that blue haired guy?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
He's the main character of Toriko, I don't remember his name.

Apparently it's replaced Naruto as one of SJ's most iconic series in Japan or something.
His names Toriko and he didn't replace Naruto (Luffy is bigger than Naruto in Japan anyways???), but Jump is pushing him extremely hard to become the successor of Naruto since its coming to a conclusion.

Honestly, Jump should just stop after this. Toriko is not doing as good as it should be.

They got a way better chance with Onepunch-man tbh...

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
According to wikipedia it's in the top 5 favorite Shonen Jump in Japan.

I read the plot summary, and TBH it sounds weird but boring. Not to mention the character's design is boring.

I can't help but feel the idea behind the manga has been done before.

I guess I could try reading it

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Toriko is like a break from the usual teenage protagonist in the usual Shonen Jump manga and he hunts animals throughout the world to create very rare and unique dishes. He also has to challenge other Bishoukai (Powerful men who hunt for ingredients) that would get in his way.

The roster would most likely be a mixture between classic characters (Yusuke, Yugi, Arale, ect) and modern characters (Medaka, Koro-Sensei, Saiki Kusuo, ect.) knowing that Shueisha would love advertising that many franchises like they did in JSS/JUS.

I'm personally hoping that Yugi Muto, Arale Norimaki, Koro-Sensei, Rikuo Nura, Junichi Jaguar, Kenshiro, Dio Brando, Nogami Neuro, and Tsunayoshi Sawada are in.

D

Deleted member

Neato. Nice to see Toriko steal the spotlight from Nurutu.

So what Jojo characters do you think will get it?

Also, think we'll get some Medaka Box characters?

I'm wanting to see a lot of faces, but I also don't want them to go overboard like in Jump Ultimate. They could cut down on the Naruto roster to make room, HAHAHA. Anyway, some Classic Dragonball characters would be cool too, like Kid Goku and King Piccolo. Some Saint Seiya HunterXHunter and Ruroni Kenshin as well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In terms of JoJo characters, it's going to be Jotaro Kujo, Dio Brando, or both (depending on how big the franchise is.)

Considering how long the manga lasts and the need of females in the roster, they might go for Medaka Kurokami (despite her status as a Mary Sue to some fans of the manga).

That's why I think the top 5 franchises should get 2-3 characters, while the other various universes would have one rep (enough for a 50-60 character roster). After all, this is supossed to be the "ultimate Jump crossover".

D

Deleted member

I'd like to see Kumagawa get it, he's the best character in that series HANDS DOWN.

Kurokami Medaka is a given but she's kinda bland. Zenkichi could get in considering he's the MC of the series now.

On Jojo, yeah, Jotaro and Dio are given, but perhaps we could get we could get Joseph Joestar considering the anime adaptation.

As for 3 One Piece characters... Luffy and Zoro are given, who'd be the 3rd? Blackbeard? Sanji? Ace? I think OP would benefit from more slots, just like DB. Luffy, Zoro, Franky, Blackbeard and Ace or something like that. With a bunch of Assist characters. DB could get the expected Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, and toss in Freeiza and Buu to the mix as well. As well as some classic throwback characters like Kid Goku, Jackie Chun, Tien and Demon King Piccolo.

Also, the GREATEST is a hard contest as "Great" and "Popular" don't always go hand in hand, Saint Seiya and Naruto are good examples of this, one is GREAT, the other is merely POPULAR, but it's clear Naruto would get more representation than Saint Seiya.

Anyway, on Bleach, Naruto, and Toriko, 2-3 sounds reasonable. Ichigo, Aizen and Uruhara for Bleach, Naruto, Sasuke and... Kakashi I guess for Naruto, and Toriko and whoever else (I haven't read Toriko) for Toriko.

One Punch Man would be cool too, and I think it's a given.

I dunno, I liked how the JUMP series had a bunch of random off the wall characters like from Eyeshield 21 and Slam Dunk, it added a lot of diversity, I also liked the Assist System, they should just tone down the number of playables a bit to add more diversity, I think that aside from One Piece and Dragonball/Z, every other franchise should just get 2-3 reps, with the smaller ones getting 1-2.

1 Ruroni Kenshin rep, 1 Yu-Yu Hakushou rep, 1 Yu-Gi-Oh rep, etc... A playable Death Note character would be cool if done right, like as a strategic character, Light Yagami, dunno how they would do it, but it would be cool to see done right.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I still think it'll just be Part 3 characters for JoJo just because they're the most iconic. Joseph being in would mean the possibility of two characters being voiced by Sugita because of Gintoki. One-Punch Man is kinda iffy since it depends on how lenient they are. He isn't in Weekly Shounen Jump, but rather one of Jump's other magazines. If the game's just advertising the main magazine, he might not make it.

D

Deleted member

I still think it'll just be Part 3 characters for JoJo just because they're the most iconic. Joseph being in would mean the possibility of two characters being voiced by Sugita because of Gintoki. One-Punch Man is kinda iffy since it depends on how lenient they are. He isn't in Weekly Shounen Jump, but rather one of Jump's other magazines. If the game's just advertising the main magazine, he might not make it.
Really? I thought OPM was SJ, I haven't gotten around to reading it, and I know it was made by the writer of SJ, so I just assumed it was on the same Magazine.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
1 Ruroni Kenshin rep, 1 Yu-Yu Hakushou rep, 1 Yu-Gi-Oh rep, etc... A playable Death Note character would be cool if done right, like as a strategic character, Light Yagami, dunno how they would do it, but it would be cool to see done right.
Light Yagami would be awesome to have on the roster. As long as he can use his scythe from the first Death Note cover and have Ryuk by his side for several attacks.

L could make a great DLC character if he had a Brazilian martial arts moveset like Elena from Street Fighter.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i really want Kenshin, from Ruroni Kenshin, and Yusuke, from Yu Yu Hakusho, and Yoh from Shaman King. those are my among my favorite animes when i was a kid. but i dont expect Shaman King :(

Minato

穏やかじゃない
i really want Kenshin, from Ruroni Kenshin, and Yusuke, from Yu Yu Hakusho, and Yoh from Shamon King. those are my among my favorite animes when i was a kid. but i dont expect Shamon King :(
Shaman King Flowers is a sequel to Shaman King, and it's currently being serialized in a separate Jump magazine. So I wouldn't be surprised if Yoh was playable.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

I guess this must be a special countdown. I hope for a trailer since it been a while since we've seen any Project Versus J related news.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Oh, so Naruto's confirmed now? Cool I guess. If each series gets like five or so characters I just want Gohan and Vegeta. Also if this game will feature five series, what'll be the fifth one? JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? Bleach?

If we're lucky it'll be YuYu Hakusho.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh, so Naruto's confirmed now? Cool I guess. If each series gets like five or so characters I just want Gohan and Vegeta. Also if this game will feature five series, what'll be the fifth one? JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? Bleach?

If we're lucky it'll be YuYu Hakusho.
Based on some further information, we might see a trailer on the main site next Sunday, there will be huge cast of fighters, and certain characters will be revealed via V-Jump and Weekly Shonen Jump over the upcoming months.

D

Deleted member

Based on some further information, we might see a trailer on the main site next Sunday, there will be huge cast of fighters, and certain characters will be revealed via V-Jump and Weekly Shonen Jump over the upcoming months.
Neat, Naruto is kinda expected, but not wanted on my behalf.

Here's to some of the lesser known or newer Jump Stars getting in.

Some Bleach is kind of a given if we're getting a bigger roster, though it's not as popular as it used to be. I just hope we can have Aizen as a playable, nothing like the master of trolls to spice up the game play a bit.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Neat, Naruto is kinda expected, but not wanted on my behalf.

Here's to some of the lesser known or newer Jump Stars getting in.

Some Bleach is kind of a given if we're getting a bigger roster, though it's not as popular as it used to be. I just hope we can have Aizen as a playable, nothing like the master of trolls to spice up the game play a bit.
We do need some bad guys after all. Aizen, Freiza, Dio Brando, Sasuke, and Blackbeard.

D

Deleted member

We do need some bad guys after all. Aizen, Freiza, Dio Brando, Sasuke, and Blackbeard.
Sasuke is guaranteed, half the manga belongs to him tbh... Hopefully they keep the Naruto count low to allow for other characters. I just hope to see Kumagawa...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Update: I added some news screenshots of what was shown in the new gameplay commercial. It aired in Japan already, though the site didn't update. The picture in the middle reveals a ton of generic silhouettes. I honestly would be surprised if most of them are hidden playable characters. The first character reveal hopefully should be in the next issue of Weekly Shonen Jump this Tuesday. Can any of you identify several of these silhouettes?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Update: I posted the new gameplay trailer and it turns out that I'm right about the fact that they are using the Zenki Battle Royale engine for the gameplay. What do you think, guys?

D

Deleted member

I see Ichigo in one of the center silouttes and also what seems to be Grimmjow. You have Gintoki on the Right side, and what seems to be Kenshiro from Hotoku no Ken on the Left corner.

Also, I never played ZBR, how's it play like?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I see Ichigo in one of the center silouttes and also what seems to be Grimmjow. You have Gintoki on the Right side, and what seems to be Kenshiro from Hotoku no Ken on the Left corner.

Also, I never played ZBR, how's it play like?
Like the more recent Dragon Ball Z games, except we all know Luffy, Toriko, and Naruto can't fly. XD

Minato

穏やかじゃない
One of the biggest things that interest me is if this will use GGPO like Zenkai Battle Royale did.

Also, link to the silhouettes?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
One of the biggest things that interest me is if this will use GGPO like Zenkai Battle Royale did.

Also, link to the silhouettes?
Sadly, the original image was broken. Pause at 0:22 on the video in the OP of this page to get a visual of these background silhouettes. Based on this week's issue of Weekly Shonen Jump, there was just basic information and no character reveal. I guess it won't happen until the next issue or the issue after next.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sadly, the original image was broken. Pause at 0:22 on the video in the OP of this page to get a visual of these background silhouettes. Based on this week's issue of Weekly Shonen Jump, there was just basic information and no character reveal. I guess it won't happen until the next issue or the issue after next.
Thanks. From the video quality and the 4 characters blocking some of the silhouettes, it's too hard for me to make out most of them, but oh well, haha.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Thanks to the J-Stars Victory VS fanpage, I found a bigger and more clear image of the mysterious silhouettes. I'm hoping there will be a new reveal in this week or next week's Weekly Shonen Jump issue.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That blue haired guy seems way too generic looking.

Also I noticed 3 of them are wearing orange. Weird

Top Bottom