• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

J-Fighters: Ultimate Match (A Shonen Jump Fighting Game Concept)

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Job 10: Game Modes

Taking a break from the characters, let's get some ideas on how the extra modes in this game would be like. We want to provide a good experience that would have players return to the game. This could be multi-player content or single-player content.

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
One mode that I think would be a good fit would be a Volleyball bonus game, similar to Tekken Ball from Tekken 3 or Volleyball mode from the Akaneia Build. In J-Fighters' case, the mode would be themed around the volleyball-based sports manga Haikyuu!! (2012-2020), with the Karasuno High gymnasium as the stage (along with cameo appearances from the Karasuno Team, though this is optional in case it is considered too distracting).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It depends on what kind of fighting game this is (2D fighter like Street Fighter? Tag fighter like Marvel vs. Capcom? 3D fighter like Tekken? Arena brawler like Jump Force? Platform fighter like Smash Bros.?, etc.), but I think an Event Match could work, and it could possibly allow for more in-depth character interactions. (if there are unique dialogue exchanges before a given match)

Whether it's something like settling long-standing debates (like "what's cooler - pirates or ninjas?"), referencing older material (Ryotsu vs. Freeza, where Ryotsu tries to make Freeza pay a parking ticket), or match-ups that we'd find entertaining, there's a lot of possibilities.

Last edited:

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
It depends on what kind of fighting game this is (2D fighter like Street Fighter? Tag fighter like Marvel vs. Capcom? 3D fighter like Tekken? Arena brawler like Jump Force? Platform fighter like Smash Bros.?, etc.), but I think an Event Match could work, and it could possibly allow for more in-depth character interactions. (if there are unique dialogue exchanges before a given match)

Whether it's something like settling long-standing debates (like "what's cooler - pirates or ninjas?"), referencing older material (Ryotsu vs. Freeza, where Ryotsu tries to make Freeza pay a parking ticket), or match-ups that we'd find entertaining, there's a lot of possibilities.
Ah shoot, I forgot to do that type of job, damn

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ah shoot, I forgot to do that type of job, damn
Haha no worries - in my experience, people care more about the roster for these kinds of threads than the gameplay. (Though if you want to do that kind of job, you've got plenty of time)

Last edited:

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Well, since the last thread was a smash bros type game Jondolio made, I'm thinking this game would be an Arcsys game to differentiate them.

Last edited:

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to introduce a boss rush mode. The way it would work is that alongside the final boss of the game, there will be alternative version of the characters in the game. They would use the same model, but have a color change that references another character in the franchise. This takes inspiration from Marvel vs Capcom 1.

For example:
Goku -> Goku Black
Yuji Itadori -> Sukuna (Without Yuji)
Denji -> Chainsaw Man (A Darker, more powerful form controlled by Pochita)
Yusuke -> Raizen
Ichigo -> Zangetsu

I'm not sure what you could unlock, maybe extra costumes for the characters.

Last edited:

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Well, it doesn't seem like any more game-modes will be submitted. The modes we have right now are:

• Event Match
  • Volleyball Mode

I'll also take the liberties to include an Arcade mode, a Boss Rush mode, and a story mode (we could make a job for this later). If you have anything you wanna add, just state what it is and I'll add it.

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Job 11: Submit a Mid-Boss (or Mid-bosses)
Going back to the characters within the game, we will be selecting the boss players will face in the game. I thought it would be an interesting idea to include a mid-boss alongside the final boss. It gives us a chance to include more representation that would normally not get included.

• You can create a concept for a boss, like a fusion of two characters
  • The boss can be from a franchise already in the game

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think there should be multiple bosses/mid-bosses - more specifically, that the bosses/mid-bosses in question should be the various main villains and arc villains from across Shonen Jump's history of manga. I have quite a few reasons why this would be a good idea:
  1. It provides more variety to the Arcade and Boss Rush modes (to give an example of what I mean for Arcade mode, each fighter could face a specific or personalized boss at the end of their arcade ladder, typically either one from their franchise or one they could have interesting interactions with).
  2. It allows for more roster space to include representation from more comparatively niche Jump manga on the fighter roster (although the bosses/mid-bosses could still potentially be available as secret unlockable fighters or DLC fighters).
  3. It maintains the threat level that these villains carry over with them to some degree (one of the main aspects behind a lot of Shonen antagonists is the immense power gap between them and the heroes, with the latter having to find a way to bypass or close that gap in order to have any sort of chance at defeating said villain, which is something that I don't think translates very well when these antagonists are playable on the roster from the start).
As for the specific number of bosses... well, obviously, there can only be one final boss, but I think 6 to 10 mid-bosses (each from a different manga) should be a reasonable amount.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm a bit hesitant about submitting bosses, since I don't want to rule out any major characters (Freeza, Dio, Raoh, etc.) from being playable down the line, but I don't want to go with someone so minor that it raises the question of why they're even a boss at all. Still, I think I have an idea:

Dr. Mashirito

The main villain of Dr. Slump, Jump Super Stars, and Jump Ultimate Stars. Dr. Mashirito is the rival of Senbei; he often tries to prove that his creations are better than Arale with little to no success. He can't fight the opponent directly, as he's kind of dead at the moment, but that won't stop him from possessing Caramelman 7 to try and squash them!

It attacks with the mace on its hand along with the cannon - it's a hard-hitting and bulky opponent, but it's slow and prone to taunting to balance him out.

On the off-chance that he becomes playable later on, the playable version can be alive - it's probably best not to think about how he can be alive and a ghost at the same time.

Last edited:

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Job 11: Dark Schneider

I know this is an unexpected pick, but this guy is someone that has caught my interest. He is known as the most powerful wizard in his universe. In a giant battle with his army, he used his magic to reincarnate himself into a young boy named Lucien.

Schneider is a crazy protagonist; he's violent, a giant ego, and a narcissistic who believes himself to be the pinnacle of power. He's the type of guy to not go with the other protagonists of the roster in their attempts to save their worlds. With his magic abilities and brutal fighting style, he'd be such a sick surprise opponent.

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Oh guys, I made a character select screen for this thread showcasing the characters we have so far. You can find it in the first poster if you're interested

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Hey, decided to drop in here. I have a lot of fascination with Shonen Jump history and I think there's a lot of potential to be had in a new fighting game, so I'm down for a thread like this. I'll admit I've had problems with decisions that have been made here (though the actual character roster is pretty inarguable so far), but I figure I should be the change I want to see and help this thread be the best it can.

So this is hard, cause for a midboss I think you need someone who's a notable villain but not someone you'd outright have as the final opponent. It's a tough balance, and it threw a few potential picks out of the window for me: I think the big 4 all could warrant a final boss, plus other names like DIO, Raoh, Meruem or even someone like Light Yagami or Dark Schneider I think could take it. So who'd be a good smaller-scale opponent but still a big deal? Ultimately, I landed on.....

Younger Toguro (YuYu Hakusho)
1637946351449.png

Younger Toguro is the main villain of the Dark Tournament arc of YYH. One of the series' most infamous villains, he's the younger of the Toguro brothers and the final opponent Yusuke and co. have to face in the tournament. I think he strikes a good balance here: fan favorite antagonist from a major series, but not such a huge threat that he'd be better suited to being the final boss period. He'd also have an interesting battle gimmick, as he has "percentages" - the higher they get, the more monstruous and powerful he becomes.

Natyelmaligno

Smash Rookie
Job 11: Daki & Gyutaro (Kimetsu no Yaiba)

I choose them over higher Upper Moons (higher ranking demons in Kimetsu no Yaiba) because of their interesting, unique gimmick and in order to avoid unnecessary spoilers, as Daki & Gyutaro are the latest antagonists they have fought in the anime adaptation and the new season hasn't aired yet. Being both of then fan favorites, it's only fair they get to shine

These two demon brothers are the main antagonists in Demon Slayer's Entertainment District Arc, being both the Upper Moon 6. They are bonded, meaning that you'd have to behead them both in order to defeat them.

Daki uses her obi to fight, making it as sharp or flexible as needed. However, she's not as strong as one would think (even though she is very tough). In desperate cases, she can call her brother to fight alongside her, and that's when the real nightmare begins.

Gyutaro is the stronger sibling, with his ability to turn his poisonous blood into sickles and to use that blood as a projectile against his enemies. The poison in his blood is guaranteed to kill his enemies in minutes.

This would translate into gameplay in a dual boss fight with 2 phases:
  • Phase 1. Daki fights alone, being a tricky fight but rather not as difficult as one could anticipate. Once she's defeated, she gets beheaded.
  • Phase 2. Gyutaro emerges from inside her body and procees to take the lead. Now it's a fight against Gyutaro, with his guard covered by Daki and her assist attacks. Gyutaro is utterly fiery and aggressive, giving the battle a great boost in difficulty. Gyutaro's attacks have a probability to inflict poison damage. Once both are defeated, the battle will finally end.
I wouldn't like to rule any of them out the roster, but I think, given their characteristics, this duo would make for a absolutely amazing boss fight

For some reason I can't post an image of those characters. I'll edit or reply myself with it when I can. If someone wants to post their photo though, I'd thank them a lot

Last edited:

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Hey, decided to drop in here. I have a lot of fascination with Shonen Jump history and I think there's a lot of potential to be had in a new fighting game, so I'm down for a thread like this. I'll admit I've had problems with decisions that have been made here (though the actual character roster is pretty inarguable so far), but I figure I should be the change I want to see and help this thread be the best it can.

So this is hard, cause for a midboss I think you need someone who's a notable villain but not someone you'd outright have as the final opponent. It's a tough balance, and it threw a few potential picks out of the window for me: I think the big 4 all could warrant a final boss, plus other names like DIO, Raoh, Meruem or even someone like Light Yagami or Dark Schneider I think could take it. So who'd be a good smaller-scale opponent but still a big deal? Ultimately, I landed on.....

Younger Toguro (YuYu Hakusho)
View attachment 370059
Younger Toguro is the main villain of the Dark Tournament arc of YYH. One of the series' most infamous villains, he's the younger of the Toguro brothers and the final opponent Yusuke and co. have to face in the tournament. I think he strikes a good balance here: fan favorite antagonist from a major series, but not such a huge threat that he'd be better suited to being the final boss period. He'd also have an interesting battle gimmick, as he has "percentages" - the higher they get, the more monstruous and powerful he becomes.
I really appreciate you joining us Speed Weed, I'm sorry for the mistakes going on in this thread. Its my first time doing something like this.

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Alright, now that we have some new submissions, let's start the voting for the mid-boss. Here are the submissions:

1. Dr. Mashirito (Dr. Slump)
2. Dark Schneider
3. Younger Toguro (Yu Yu Hakusho)
4. Daki and Gyutaro (Demon Slayer)

For this vote, only one character will get in. We can hold a vote on how many midbosses the game will have later on.

Last edited:

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for your votes everybody, here are the results for this job:

1. Dr. Mashirito (Dr. Slump) 5
  2. Dark Schneider: 2
  3. Younger Toguro (Yu Yu Hakusho) 5
  4. Daki and Gyutaro (Demon Slayer) 3
We have a tie between Toguro and Dr. Mashirito! This will have to be settles through a poll. It'll be up in a little bit.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Guys, how should we decide this? I'm not sure what to do
Flip a coin? The way I see it, if they're consistently tied, then it should mean that either one will be fine. (Then again, I'm optimistic)

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Guys, how should we decide this? I'm not sure what to do
Personally, I'd say that it depends on whether or not we're including multiple mid-bosses. If we are, then we might as well include both right now and be done with it. If we aren't, I'd say that Dr. Mashirito might be the better choice between the two. He was already the main antagonist of a previous Shonen Jump crossover fighting game (that being the Super/Ultimate Stars duology), and having a boss representative from a more comedic series would provide a good counterbalance to the presumably more serious series that the final boss will most likely represent.

Last edited:

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Job 12: Submit a 2nd Rep For A Series In The Roster
Getting back into building the roster, we'll be adding more reps for the series already in the game!

Here's a list of series in the game:
1. Dragon Ball Z
2. Naruto
3. Bleach
4. One Piece
5. Kochikame
6. Fist of The North Star
7. Dr. Slump
8. Yu-Yu Hakusho
9. Yugioh
10. Saint Seiya
11. Hunter x Hunter
12. Bobobobobo
13. D. Gray Man
14. Hitman Reborn
15. Gintama
16. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
17. Demon Slayer
18. My Hero Academia
19. Chainsaw Man
20. Jujustu Kaisen

This job will add 2 new characters to the game.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Gonna submit a fan favorite
Killua Zoldyck (Hunter × Hunter)

Killua-2011.png Killua-2011.png

Killua is the deuteragonist of Hunter × Hunter. He's arguably more popular than his best friend and the protagonist, Gon, and has a more unique set of powers - due to being raised in a family of assassins, he has many techniques that would distinguish him from the rest of the cast, such as being able to sharpen his fingernails (to the point he can rip a person's heart out), shadow stepping, and the ability to turn his arms into whips, as well as a pair of yo-yos that pack a serious punch made by his brother Milluki. He's also immune to poison and electricity, the latter which plays into his nen ability as he's able to "charge" himself with electricity and attack with it. This includes his iconic "godspeed" transformation which increases his speed.
Side note, but I don't really see a reason why we should limit it to just 2 characters considering we have a lot of space on the roster

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I want to use this opportunity to add more women to the game; I don't want this to fall into the same trap that Jump Force did, where there are only three women in the base game. (though I get that shonen manga is fairly male-dominated)

However, I want to make sure that whoever I go with meets certain criteria, at least for this job:

-they're powerful - sure, Bulma from Dragon Ball would have an entertaining moveset, but she'd be a fairly random inclusion, and I feel like people would be up in arms if she got in before Vegeta, Freeza, Gohan, Piccolo, etc.

-they're prominent - Boa Hancock from One Piece made it into both J-Stars Victory Vs. and Jump Force, and she's a powerful and popular character, but she was still seen as a fairly random inclusion since she only appears once in a blue moon

-they're popular - I could nominate Kaguya from Naruto, but nobody likes Kaguya from Naruto. NOBODY.

I haven't read all of the series in here, and some of them don't have many options (I could probably count the amount of noteworthy women in Hunter x Hunter who can fight on one hand, and the most prominent woman in Katekyo Hitman Reborn prefers to avoid fighting and rely on a man to save her), but one comes to mind, even if she's from the same series as another nominee...

JOLYNE KUJO (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

The protagonist of part 6, Stone Ocean, Jolyne was imprisoned for a crime that she didn't commit and thrown into Green Dolphin Street Prison. The daughter of Jotaro Kujo, she's a crass delinquent who despises her father due to the fact that he more-or-less abandoned his family.

Her Stand, Stone Free, allows her to unravel her body into string, which has a wide variety of uses. (including the standard JoJo rapid punching techniques, there's also wrapping things up, hearing things over long distances, choking people from a distance, etc.)

Last edited:

Soul_of_Xeno

Smash Apprentice
Gonna submit a fan favorite

Side note, but I don't really see a reason why we should limit it to just 2 characters considering we have a lot of space on the roster
By 2, I meant we'll choose two from our vote in this job. Of course we could have more characters per series.

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Job 12:

Roronoa Zoro - One Piece

One of two swordsmen of the Straw Hat Pirates, Zoro is a master of "Three Sword Style," wielding three swords rather than just one or two. Despite being Luffy's right-hand man, Zoro questions some of the (sometimes completely idiotic) choices that his captain makes, but is still one of his most trustworthy allies. Boasting inhumane strength and durability, able to lift entire buildings, cut through steel, and even somehow surviving many fatal injuries (NOTHING HAPPENED.), Zoro is more than a match for the rest of the roster of this game.

D

Deleted member

Sasuke_timeskip.png

Sasuke Uchiha
Naruto is one of SJ's most popular series and should get at least A second rep. Sasuke is the most obvious second pick. There was some weirdness about Sasuke not getting in last time we did this type of thread, and I wouldn't wanna repeat that.

Last edited by a moderator:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit, I was hesitant to add another fighter nomination for this job, as the ones we have so far are all essential choices for the roster. However, after much, much consideration, I have decided on another potential fighter to nominate:

Katsuki Bakugou
The deuteragonist of My Hero Academia (2014-), Bakugou is the childhood friend/bully/rival of series protagonist Izuku Midoriya. Arrogant and hot-headed to a fault, Bakugou aspires to become the #1 Hero, yet despite his powerful Quirk and immense talent, his efforts are impeded by his jerkish attitude, reckless behavior, volatile temper, and inflated ego, all of which are noted in-series as unfitting for a professional hero. His Quirk, Explosion, allows him to create explosions from the nitroglycerin-based sweat he exerts from his palms.

Top Bottom