• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Izaw Shows Off 'The Art of Sheik' In This Excellent Sheik Guide

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Sheik is a force to be reckoned with in Smash 4. With quick attacks, nearly no landing lag on aerials, and dangerous grab options, she is considered a top tier and can be seen in tournaments all over the country doing damage. And if that's not enough, she's got a lot of tricky tech that she can use to her advantage! European Smasher Izaw has compiled a bunch of lesser-known techniques into one handy video to teach you the finer points of Sheik. These include grenade tricks, practical up-B setups and needle canceling.

Check it out below!

The Art of Sheik
What do you think? Is Sheik top tier? Do you know any other Sheik tricks that weren't mentioned here? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit thinks Sheik is annoying, but only because of needles. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Rosso

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mourossonero
Amazing guide by Izaw, never thought of most of the tech!

Losho

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheLosho
3DS FC
3883-7759-0830
Izaw was a godlike Sheik/ Link in Brawl! Good to see him again.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
All the Shiek mains like the Shiek guide. No surprise. Hoping for a nerf, it's a bit silly watching her play against even mid-high tier characters.

-Dirty mouth cleaned by your friendly neighborhood moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
It's so cool to see how a character a lot of people write off as an "easy to play top tier" has some really cool and interesting tech that shows just how high of a skill ceiling she has. Just goes to show we still have a lot to learn about the game. Can't wait to see if other characters' playerbases are dedicated enough to make videos similar to this.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Incredible guide. It explains well and fast what you must do and gives you an example. I'm hoping to use her for this Smash Bros. although I might not be maining her. But this guide has great tips.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Big fan of Izaw, glad to see a guide that is geared toward experienced players, and not just beginner guide :) (though those are great for as well)

TreK

Is "that guy"
Izaw got even better at that whole making videos thing for someone who's been a phantom for 4 years =P

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I've had a couple lucky ledge grenade kills, but it's very difficult to reproduce and it might not work against everybody. If the opponent is recovering low, you can set the grenade a bit past the ledge so the very edge of the wind box covers the ledge. If they try to grab the edge while it's detonating, the wind can pull them back just enough to waste their recovery. I've successfully done this to Lucina and Luigi.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Does the chaingrab work on all characters or will light characters be sent to far by down throw.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Very nice video / guide / tech. Super helpful, displayed in a KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) format.

Plus, really good to see Izaw back. Really enjoyed watching his chars in Brawl. Guy knows his stuff.

5/5.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Nice guide. I'm not a Sheik main, but I'm sure I can use some of this stuff (especially grenade tricks) in friendly matches. I think it's important to keep in mind that while these techniques work well in a demonstration, it takes a skilled player to make them work effectively in an actual match. I hope people continue to find more interesting techniques for the cast.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Shiek is a lot better than he was in brawl. I'm glad Sakurai buffed him up a little bit.
She. Sheik is Zelda in a different costume and superficial changes, technically. So that means Zelda is the biggest badass in the entire in-game universe. Yeeeee

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
This is awesome. I remembered when people were crying how "bad" she was with the nerfs she got in the last patch. She has WAY too many options to even begin to consider her a bad character.

She. Sheik is Zelda in a different costume and superficial changes, technically. So that means Zelda is the biggest badass in the entire in-game universe. Yeeeee
This makes me think. Rather than using her Shiek disguise to hide from Ganondorf for seven years she should have infiltrated his tower and proceed to kick his ass instead of having Link go on a quest over Hyrule to defeat the Evil King on her behalf.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Oh hey, great news. Now that a lot of Sheik mains also learned some new tricks, they'll sure get better, they needed it.

-Marth? Heh don't worry about him, i'm sure he'll do fine without a single true combo even at 0%, and sht recovery :') .

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
This makes me think. Rather than using her Shiek disguise to hide from Ganondorf for seven years she should have infiltrated his tower and proceed to kick his *** instead of having Link go on a quest over Hyrule to defeat the Evil King on her behalf.
It would be unwise because despite her abilities and magic, she cannot wield the Master Sword. She would be at a disadvantage and Ganondork would retaliate by hurting her kingdom and its people. He would also get her piece of the triforce which would PROBABLY spell the end of Link and the kingdom. From the way the games make it seem, I believe the triforce has a rock-paper-scissor cycle, which may also explain Zelda's need for Link.

Additionally, Link is a commoner so if he pisses off anyone all they could do is just try to kill him. He isn't tied to the kingdom and the baddy doesn't care enough to find out where Link lives. Link's entire role is well thought out. It would take someone very wise to safely pick and guide Link instead of directly retaliating.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Last tnament had a good shiek in it, fell for the edge guarding up B a few times, I don't think she's broken though, a good Smasher will punish with any character they master

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It would be unwise because despite her abilities and magic, she cannot wield the Master Sword. She would be at a disadvantage and Ganondork would retaliate by hurting her kingdom and its people. He would also get her piece of the triforce which would PROBABLY spell the end of Link and the kingdom. From the way the games make it seem, I believe the triforce has a rock-paper-scissor cycle, which may also explain Zelda's need for Link.

Additionally, Link is a commoner so if he pisses off anyone all they could do is just try to kill him. He isn't tied to the kingdom and the baddy doesn't care enough to find out where Link lives. Link's entire role is well thought out. It would take someone very wise to safely pick and guide Link instead of directly retaliating.
Nah man, nah. Ganondorf resides at the top of his tower, right? It would only take Sheik a quick (and easy, judging by tiers) battle against him to combo him and then KO him off the tower. And thus the Kingdom of Hyrule is saved by Zelda in disguise.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
as impressed as I am about Izaw utilizing so many tricks with Shiek, I'm a little disappointed how a guide this comprehensive couldn't be made for most of the cast.

I'll probably just chalk it up to envy that shiek has that many tricks, as opposed to the fighters I use, whose tricks were patched (Robin's charging to max in mid-air refreshes a jump) or not very plentiful (Shulk has a Monado Arts cancel, and Little Mac has the KO Punch air tech, but that's all I know of). yeah... I'll admit I'm pretty jealous. :(

although I expect someone's going to call me out on my opinion, whatever logic it may be...

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
As I main sheik through the incredible roller coaster ride that is smash4 I really enjoyed this video and have learned tons of new abilities/techs to use:)

EarlExcellent

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirTwinings
I really hope that tech like this is discovered for other characters too, otherwise tourneys are gonna have a lot of sheik dittos :\

TheCandyman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3866-8591-8094
As a Sheik Main this is so damn helpful. And I personally think that Sheik is the best character in Smash 4 because of all this technical stuff in higher level play. I'm really hoping this game has a bright competitive future.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
Hey, this is a little fishy. This is a normal guide like any other guide, but for some reason it's in the news feed on the main page right above the "Vote for guide" contest"?

I guess the creator of this guide's got to be a friend of a moderator or something ;)

Top Bottom