• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Izaw Explains Perfect Shield

perfectshield.jpg

In his newest video, Izaw goes over how the perfect shield mechanic works in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. He goes into detail about the new shield mechanics, including general frame data and how to perform a perfect shield, and also explains the parry system.

IzawSmash’s Patreon can be found here

Author’s Note: What do you think of the altered perfect shield mechanic? Has this video helped you master the new perfect shield? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

Very insightful, had been wondering about this. Definitely worth learning in such a high paced game, capitalizing on telegraphed options or playstyles with a little breathing room to punish.

Much love!

Thanks to Izaw for explaining this! I'll start training in the labs and practice perfect shielding since I really really want to get competitive in this game.

So you're saying that when you release the shield button there is a 5 frame window in which any interaction between where an attack is and where a shield would have been is then considered a parry?

This is gonna be by far the hardest thing to learn for me in ultimate...especially because I’m so used to the old way perfect shields worked and this works in the opposite :c

5 frames isn't the hardest thing to time in the world. It's similar in timing to Soul Calibur 4 parries. Only difference will be that it's only negative edge of shield rather than a simple input, so it'll take some getting used to.

I found Izaw, when I was looking into tech for Sm4sh. He was super useful, and I am glad to see that he's now making content for Ultimate

I've done it a few times. Didn't realize it's perfect on shield release. 3 frames (11 freeze on attacker and 8 freeze on defender) doesn't seem like a lot to work with. Is it really that significant?

I've done it a few times. Didn't realize it's perfect on shield release. 3 frames (11 freeze on attacker and 8 freeze on defender) doesn't seem like a lot to work with. Is it really that significant?
That gives you 3 frames of an advantage to use fast tilts or jabs. Which should be enough for even the slower characters. The real issue is if the person you perfect shielded against is too far away or not.

It's still a free frame 3 advantage AND saved shield endurance. So even a character with crappy range like Zelda can benefit from it defensively even if she can't reach her attacker in time. A 5 frame window isn't too hard to work with either.

This is actually useful for players like me, when i was playing as Donkey Kong i parried like six times as him during a spirit fight and my god i thought i was a natural at getting it. But eh.. thanks for putting this in Sakurai. ;)

Top Bottom