• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur's Uair Footstool Cancel (2 apps)

kupo15

Smash Hero
Please don't flame me because I am a Pit main. I have looked through the PT guide and found nothing on this and I am just trying to help

Since the Uair thrusts Ivysaur down, this can be used after any footstool to override the thrust from the it. This is more effective in air since the stun is longer. I have two applications:

Footstool>Uair>aerial
This is a true combo that allows you to attack after your Footstool as if you were Toon Link. Since the Uair sends you down, you are free to use any aerial. Three main examples that come to mind are:

1. FS>Uair>Dair
This should allow you to guarantee a spike if you land a footstool in the air (I believe Dair spikes)

2. FS>Uair>Fastfall>Uair
Idk if there is enough time for this one but it will allow you to send opponents upward

3. FS>Uair>aerial (near the stage)
Idk what Ivy's most powerful aerial with horizontal knockback but this combo sets up for a stage spike.

I posted something similar in the Pit forums for us to try using this so I thought I'd post it here also. This is very hard so I don't know if this is a viable technique.

Footstool canceled chains

I posted something similar in the Pit forums for us to try using this so I thought I'd post it here also. This is very hard so I don't know if this is a viable technique.

1. Intercept the foe in the air over a ledge with a footstool
2. Use Uair to cancel the thrust from it
3. Do a second footstool immediately after they recover from the first one
4. Repeat steps 2-4
5. Recover

What this will do is chain two Footstools together which will kill them most likely. They will be forced to Up B after the second one which won't work because you are on the ledge
Even though 2 footstools should be enough to kill, you can do up to 4 footstools if needed. The problem is that the more you Footstool in a row, the less thrust you get from it so the Uair may pull you too far down to stay on top of them for another Footstool. You could use this time to finish with a stage spike, Dair, or recover and ledgehog them.

Possible Problems:

1. I am not sure, but I think they can Up B faster than you can pull off a second footstool. If this is true, then you are slightly vulnerable

2. I think they will most likely jump which makes the next footstool easy. But beware if they accidentally or purposely Footstool you if you are not fast enough. You might be able to recover if you are good at not getting edgehogged if this happens

3. Footstool DI could make it hard to land the next Footstool.

4. It is not likely, but they could purposely delay the time it takes them to get out of the Footstool which could make the next footstool hard to time. A solution to this would be to spam the jump button.

I don't think their instinct will be to Up B because it will leave them vulnerable. They think they are in the defensive mode so chances of them attacking could be lower than normal.

Hope this helps

kupo15

Smash Hero
They can be hard at times, but I think one can get good at it. Maybe Ivy can set up with a razor leaf to either footstool from the stun, or after they air dodged. Rising footstools make it easy also.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur's Dair spikes if you sweetspot it. The sweetspot btw is at the tip of the bud. It makes it VERY hard to sweetspot since the animation moves you up, and is already so close-ranged.

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
In addition to the actual time it takes to use it. Its one of those moves you hit people with because of its extremely akward timing.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I think the Uair duration is too long. Using the Uair at about stage level will just leave u with barly any time to vine whip back up. But if it is possible, the only aerial you could possibly connect would be the Nair or maybe the Bair, the others have way to much start up time or would just out right kill urself.

kupo15

Smash Hero
But someone said that the Bair lifts you up a bit. Also, if you saved your second jump, you can recovery easily. With my little testing, I think the duration of the Uair is the perfect amount of time to pull this off

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well im still new to ivy. So my timing isnt perfect and neither is my offstage game. But it still sounds pretty suicidal, since ivy has such a poor recovery and easily gimpped. But it would be pretty unexpected for a ivy to do that, so it would probably work if u could get the timing.

kupo15

Smash Hero
But ivy wouldn't suicide. I posted this first in the Pit forums and it would be more suicidal with him. Ivy still has his jump and his recovery is good. Ivy doesn't need to worry about being gimped because he already gimped the foe.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Okay i had a match the other day with a dk where i foot stooled him with ivy, mostly on accident. But since i didnt know i was doing it i did a Dair directly after, i stayed up instead. I think there is probably the same amount of lag for both attack, roughly. But the window seems to be around 1 sec give or take. possible i guess. I still dont like being too risky with ivy. Especially online where button lag causes some problems.

Sea Buoy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-5278-5305
D-air actually meteors when you sweet spot it. U-air actually does spike at the beginning of the animation and knock back gradually loses effectiveness the later the U-air hits. But this is actually really good and I've been trying to look for another shield punish with Ivy. It's off to the lab!

Top Bottom