• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur+ Get Whipped!

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Im so mad this hasn't been made yet. If zard can get his own thread why not ivy?(Of course being that she sucks could be a reason no one made this yet lol)

So i think i may be the only person who wants to main solo ivy. I do think she sucks(i even think she is bottom 10) But idc. Ivy is fun to play. And even with her obvious flaws she has some good stuff going for her in brawl+(Yes ivy is a she. Don't question it. lol)

1st let me post the changes of her in b+

Ivy leaf sped up 1.3x
Ivysaur D smash windsdown 1.25x
Ivysaur upB gives a bigger hop
Ivysaur standing grab now has 1.2x wind-down
Ivysaur dair 2x after frame 12
Ivysaur dair sourspot 80 degrees from 50
Ivysaur Dash attack angle 100 from 70
Ivysaur Bair: All hits do 5 damage instead of 2
Ivysaur Uair: minus 2 damage, plus 2 base
Ivysaur Bullet Seed (both hitboxes) KBG 60 from 40, BKB 15 from 10
Ivysaur Dsmash spikes

Character Specific Gravity and Jump Power Modifications
Chara ID SH FH FF DGrav Grav Filler
Ivysaur 1F 1.025 1.025 1.200 1.050 1.000 0

Ivysaur was the combo oriented one in the group in vbrawl. Now in brawl+ all 3 have some sick combos but ivy is the most stylish out of all them. I think everyone knows how **** dthrow to uair can be(you can di it though) You can also combo to up b. She still has a wicked bair used for spacing(And it does 5% each now) And with no asl it's easier to land nair spikes(or her new dsmash spike) Also her dair ***** tether recoveries.

Speaking on recoveries lets talk about hers. She is still easily gimped(which she should be. I wont even speak on the failure that was multiple up b's) However she has a little going for her to get back onto the stage.

1st since her dair is faster you can use it in the air to stall. This will help u save that second jump when u need it. Also her faster leaves can knock people off the ledge. And her up b does give a little boost like oli. Still don't get it twisted she is very easily gimped so try not to be off the stage to begin with.

However she has plenty PLENTY of flaws. She really don't have any legit lead in to kill moves besides razor leaf to fsmash.(Which anyone can see coming not to mention people can just jab through the leaves) And like i said dthrow to uair can be di out of and you can tech the dsmash. Ivy is about spacing and well timed smash attacks. It can be very difficult at times to land the ko.

I feel ivy is a way better team char then 1v1. Back when she had her omghax leaves i would even say she was kinda broken in teams(this vid proves that lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgMIs0GJb5s) But even without them she is still very viable in teams.

Also ivy is freaking **** on warioware. I firmly believe banning warioware against ivy will be as common as banning fd against diddy in vbrawl. IT'S THAT BAD! lol.

Im going to try to get some vids up and make this post more vivid with pics and guides and stuff. Just posted this to see if there are any other ivy players out there!

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Holy crap, she didn't already have a topic? In any case, while she isn't top she definitely can't be bottom ten alongside DDD and Bowser.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
The best part is that Squirtle doesn't have his own topic. (or I don't know about it)

As you said, Ivy has a lot of trouble in 1v1's but can tear it up in doubles. Maybe it's just the fact that I play online a lot, but I feel like Bair doesn't have enough BKB because hitting someone with it at low %'s doesn't guarantee safety.

Also, if you catch them off guard I've landed 2 Dsmashes right in a row, because it doesn't move them.

Ivy has a great punish game, and doesn't do to great when played offensively.

Just my 2 cents.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Holy crap, she didn't already have a topic? In any case, while she isn't top she definitely can't be bottom ten alongside DDD and Bowser.
No way is bowser bottom ten now with his recent updates. Bowser is a beast now. But really i can't think of 10 chars ivy is better then. Don't mean i wont **** with her.\

Also squirtle is to generic to have his own topic. lol

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Squirtle's topic would be a barrage of posts all saying pretty much, "combo combo combo combocombo combo."

PKNintendo

Smash Master
The massive amounts of she...

Guys Ivy just seems like a dude to me. It's that darned VA.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
I'm seriously loving ending combos with upB, even if I had to readjust timing due to the hop. So strong...

I remember someone had talked about a way to chain nair by fastfalling it before the last hit. Is that still possible / how does it work exactly?

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I'm seriously loving ending combos with upB, even if I had to readjust timing due to the hop. So strong...

I remember someone had talked about a way to chain nair by fastfalling it before the last hit. Is that still possible / how does it work exactly?
You mean chaining 2 nairs together? Or chaining a move out of nair?

You can chain 2 nairs together by fastfalling the move and doing it again. You can also chain a uair out of nair by fastfalling the nair(i did this in the video i posted above)

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Ew Ivy....has to be a dude. It doesn't have any gender differences so I can't provide solid evidence... Its prolly a dude tho. I remember in the show there was a girl Bulbasuar that had a high pitched voice...I think. Whatever it has like a 90% chance of being a dude in the game, its ugly, its a dude. XD

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
What do you mean?

I see like 85% less MKs than in vBrawl. That has to count for something, since I think MK is one of Ivy's hardest matchups.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Good stuff making this, Philly. Maybe Ivy can have some good discussion centered around her.

Not much to say right now, except Ivy can definitely tango with the majority of the roster. Only real exceptions I find would be MetaKnight and Kirby.

kciD

Smash Journeyman
I might try Ivy for a little while and see what I can come up with. If I find out anything new, I'll post here.

So don't expect much. I suck at this game, anyways.

Edit: After a few games with a lvl 9 cpu:

Razor leaf spamming is good, of course I'm sure it's less effective against real intelligence vs AI

Uair, Dair are nice, getting used to using Dair before jump for recovery for that slight boost. Bair is a good "get away from me" move.

Usmash is VERY powerful, but too slow to really pull off. Fsmash is a good, semi quick smash move, good for a later % kill. Dsmash seemed pretty useless...but I didn't use it much.

The tilts are good except I keep going into the ftilt repeat jab...which isn't bad sometimes to get your opponent away, but most of the time it's punishable.

Neutral B seems pointless. Up B sucks for recovery, didn't use it for an attack move, though.

Basically I did a lot of Razor leaf, Bair, Uair, Dair. Keep the opponent away, rack up damage with Bair and Razor leaf, then find a Uair, Dair, or Fsmash to kill.

I played about 5 matches. I need some more tips if I'm going to play a lot of Ivy.

Edit: Oh yea, and Nair. I liked it when it hit, but the priority of it seemed REALLY low.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I will definitely not refer to this Ivysaur as a she. She is often what you'd use to call an inanimate object, Ex: people talking about cars and saying "She runs like a beauty." And he is often used for living things until you know their gender. That and the obviously male Ivysaur voice and look to him. =P

Besides gender crap, I find Ivysaur to indeed have a hard time in singles over doubles. Not too much, but a bit anyway.

Oh, and since I haven't really seen it used much, I find razor leaf to dash attack pretty cool, especially if it hits at higher %s where it can kill. =)

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
Ivy's zoning and spacing abilities are fantastic with the changes instilled into B+. The only problem seems to be that bair gets punished even if it HITS the oponent :C
Agreed! The knockback is so low it's like hitting them with a tissue.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
After losing 3 stocks of 4 to aura beam, I beg to differ. -__-
Please tell me what this has to do with giving the wilds new moves???

There is no reason at all to give the wilds a down b move as it's just another slap in the face to the original PT. Why on earth would anyone want to use PT in the 1st place if the wilds are 10x better alone?

As far as razor leaf spamming it can be good to people who don't know how to deal with it. Once players find out that any jab in the entire game can break the leaves razor leaf spamming is only good for spacing.

kciD

Smash Journeyman
I'll be putting Ivy to the test tonight...I'm going to a friend's house to play.

I don't know what's been changed since the last official plussery release (4.1B I believe) but that what I'll be playing on.

NNID
Budget_Player
Please tell me what this has to do with giving the wilds new moves???

There is no reason at all to give the wilds a down b move as it's just another slap in the face to the original PT. Why on earth would anyone want to use PT in the 1st place if the wilds are 10x better alone?

As far as razor leaf spamming it can be good to people who don't know how to deal with it. Once players find out that any jab in the entire game can break the leaves razor leaf spamming is only good for spacing.
>.>

Forget the downB, what about a final smash? Not... feasible?

kciD

Smash Journeyman
I only played Ivy a little the other night, and it was because I couldn't do ANYTHING vs Zamus. I had no priority, and no approach. Zamus was too fast, with too many combos.

Soo as long as I'm facing a good brawler, Ivy is out of the picture, because getting combo'd to death means no way to learn. But I'll stick with him/her/it/whatever while I'm playing against other folks so I'll still try to get somewhere.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Um, so like Ivy is currently my favorite of the three. (He can dance like it's no tomorrow) but I noticed strange. Why does the neutral B do WORSE damage in B+?

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Um, so like Ivy is currently my favorite of the three. (He can dance like it's no tomorrow) but I noticed strange. Why does the neutral B do WORSE damage in B+?
Something about the gravity effecting that move or something(i remember falco400 talking about it). There is really no reason at all to ever use it. It just plain sucks.

I only played Ivy a little the other night, and it was because I couldn't do ANYTHING vs Zamus. I had no priority, and no approach. Zamus was too fast, with too many combos.

Soo as long as I'm facing a good brawler, Ivy is out of the picture, because getting combo'd to death means no way to learn. But I'll stick with him/her/it/whatever while I'm playing against other folks so I'll still try to get somewhere.

Out of all the things ivy DONT have approaching is something she does. Simple razor leaf spam will usually get u a opening. Also spacing ff bairs to ftilts work.

Landing the ko and a easily gimpable recovery is where ivy has problems. I find her similar to vbrawl peach a little. She can rack up the damage but that don't mean anything if you not landing the ko(which is also why vbrawl peach and b+ ivy is 10x better in doubles then singles)

As far as the ivy vs zss matchup i dont have much experience myself but yea i would think it would be a hard matchup for ivy. Zss zoning game is just flat out better then ivy's not to mention her above average combo game.

kciD

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the tips. I'll keep Ivy in mind for matchups other than ZSS, because I'm still interested in getting better with it (yes, I'm calling Ivy an "it").

IThinkAboutIvysaur

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur is my favorite but even though I like him very much I won't use him alone often.

I'll probably just keep PT as a main.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
So I have a question.
Is it just my opponents or is SH Nair like an awesome setup for any other aerial?

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Yeah, I just have trouble getting it in though. Unless I punish someone with it it's kind of hard. Any tips on that?
something I do is Full hop Back air, then DI into them with Nair. Sometimes Bullet Seed connects with this. (probably not against very small characters though)

you best bet to approach its throwing Leaf Blades or Spamming Back Air. Both are incredible moves

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
so, i've played most characters in b+ quite a bit, and after coming up with a personal tier list, i found that i had to put ivysaur pretty low.

My experiences:

pros:
* really great zoning, up there with samus and gw in terms of keep away.
* sweet mixup with the razor leaf, razor leaf -> approach. if they shield its a free grab, if they jab it, you can probably get in on the cooldown, and if they get hit is a free nair or fair depending on spacing.
* if you know what your doing with the bair offstage... man is that tough to get around.
* combos are VERY hard to di out of, upthrow -> up air -> up air -> up air -> up b is not uncommon to land on most of the cast at zero...

cons:
* wow, horrible offstage
* combos are good, but kill setups are a bit rough, not horrible, but rough
* grabbing/oos options are terrible.

Proposal:
if you want to buff ivy up to around mid tier ish, theres only one change you would need to make (assuming its possible). Make ivysaur's dair act like samus's bomb drop. Currently i mess around with this move to throw off people's edgehog timings, but if we could use this to recovery from the blastzone to somewhere below the ledge then we could swat people off the edge with a double jump and an aerial. This would help him/her to not die every single time we're offstage...

TL:DR

Give ivysaur a pseudo bomb jump with it's dair if you want it to remain a compeitive character...

Top Bottom