• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur As A DLC! - VOTE NOW FOR HIM IN THE SMASH BALLOT!!

BoN~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Riskyx
3DS FC
4742-7971-2374
IVYSAUR

^Brawl Artwork From Brawl 2008

UPDATE!! : VOTE FOR IVYSAUR NOW IN THE SMASH BROS FIGHTER BALLOT!!
https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

Ivysaur Is A Veteran Of Super Smash Bros Brawl who have a ton of fans who havent been included in the newest edition of Super Smash Brothers.

FREQUENTS OBJETIONS

Too many Pokemon characters!!!!
*the franchise should not determine what character would be a good DLC option" because the majority thinks we have too many Mario characters as well. I don't think it would be the most influential of counter arbuments, but I think it would be better than saying we have a lot of Mario "reps".
(Thanks SMAASH! Puppy)

Ivy Is A Trophy!
*And Mewtwo?

Why is ivysaur deserving? He isn't popular
*Besides, Ivysaur would be the same as a starter grass type, since we already have Charizard (Fire) and Greninja (Water). Ivysaur would be the grass type one.

MOVESET FROM BRAWL
Ground attack
Normal
  • Neutral attack - Whips a vine, then another, then extends the range for repeated vine slaps. Start-up of 7 frames. Normally, 3% first hit, 2% second hit, then 2% alternating with 1% for each hit. Tired, 2% first hit, 1% second hit, then 1% for each hit.
  • Dash attack - Slides along the ground, headbutting foes. Normally, 12% sweetspotted, 10% during the rest of the frames. Tired, 9% sweetspotted, 7% for the rest of the frames. A powerful, if somewhat unsafe, KO move above 110%. Hits on frame 4-20
  • Up tilt - Plants vines on the ground and launches body into the air. Normally, 7%. Tired, does 5%-6%. Hits on frame 9-14.
  • Forward tilt - Spins the leaves around the main bulb like a helicopter blade and leans forward, hitting multiple times. Normally, seven hits of 2% for a total of 14%. Tired, seven hits of 1%, 1%, 2%, 1%, 2%, 1%, then 1% for a total of 9%. Quick on start-up (6 frames) and stops run-ins cold, but requires good spacing to be effective, and has some ending lag.
  • Down tilt - Whips two vines quickly along the ground, hitting twice with good range. Does 2% damage on first hit and 5% damage on second hit. Hits on frame 4 and 9.
Smash attacks
  • Forward smash - Plants vines on the ground and launches the body forward. Great range, decent knockback, and returns to starting position afterwards, but comes with minor lag during start and finish. Does 16-22% damage. Hits on frame 17-19.
  • Up smash - Launches a burst of spores from the bulb. It is the strongest up smash in terms of knockback (the strongest of Pokémon Trainer's attacks), and has decent range and a disjointed hitbox. The hitbox also covers Ivysaur's sides, to an extent. When fully charged, it can KO at 38%. Has a high start-up lag (26 frames). Best used while baiting a spot dodge/air dodge. Does 17-23% damage.
  • Down smash - Quickly whips out vines across the ground simultaneously on both sides. Decent range and start-up speed (16-17 frames), but does horribly low damage and knockback for a Smash attack, and comes with minor ending lag. Has a high chance of causing the opponent to trip. Does 8-11% damage.
Other attacks
  • Ledge attack - Ivysaur returns to the stage with a vine flick. Good range and speed. Does 8% damage.
  • 100% ledge attack - Ivysaur craws up onto the stage with a somewhat slow headbutt. Does 10% damage.
  • Floor attack - Whips vines to one side then the other while returning to feet. Does 6% damage.
  • Trip attack - Whips vines behind it, then in front. Normally, 5% damage. Tired, 3% damage.
Aerial attacks
  • Neutral aerial - Points head diagonally downwards and flattens leaves against body, spinning. Hits multiple times, the last hit having moderate knockback. Has mild spike properties underneath its hind legs; useful while ledge guarding. Start-up of 4 frames. Has low range. Does 10% damage if all hits connect.
  • Forward aerial - Slaps forward with a vine, with decent damage and knockback, with a hitbox that ranges from above its eyes, to well in front, to underneath its head. Hits opponent either forward or upward depending on where the vines strike. Does 12% damage. Good Star KO potential. Hits on frame 15-19.
  • Back aerial - Turns its top toward the front of the screen, extends two vines far behind it, and spins. Very fast with long range, but very low damage and knockback. A great stall/wall tactic despite low damage returns. Does 2% damage on first hit and 3% damage on second hit. Start-up of 4 frames.
  • Up aerial - Shoots a burst of gas out of the bulb with high knockback. Shoots Ivysaur downward. Little more than a slightly faster aerial up-smash. It is the third most powerful up aerial in the game (only Zelda's and Bowser's are stronger). Does 16% damage. Hitbox out on frame 12.
  • Down aerial - Turns upside-down and uses the same basic attack as Up Aerial, shooting a burst of gas out of the bud with decent knockback (though similar, it is much weaker than the up aerial). It cancels aerial momentum entirely, and spikes if the opponent is touching the bud (difficult to land). Horrid lag-time (hits on frame 11, but it only ends on frame 63) on all sides makes this move extremely situational, for surprise use only. Does 8% damage.
Grabs and throws
  • Pummel - Vines squeeze opponent. Very slow unless performed in the correct rhythm. Does 3% damage.
  • Forward throw - Grabs opponent with vines and tosses them forward. Does 8% damage.
  • Back throw - Grabs opponents with vines, does a full spin, and tosses them back. A powerful throw with primarily horizontal fling. Does 10% damage.
  • Up throw - Grabs opponent with vines and bounces them into the air with the bud on its back. Not quite as powerful as back throw, but strong. Does 10% damage. Good for Bullet seed combos.
  • Down throw - Grabs opponent with vines, does a flip, and smashes them to the ground. Good for follow-ups. Does 10% damage.
^Thanks SSBWiki

SUPPORTERS
( Comment To Add You c: )
@ BoN~ BoN~
@ Freduardo Freduardo
@ Kevandre Kevandre
@ Spatman Spatman
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei
@Kumaru
@ Kenith Kenith
@ Masonomace Masonomace
@ FalKoopa FalKoopa
@Mewtwo
@ Starcutter Starcutter
@ A Distant Demon A Distant Demon
@ N NeoHippie41
@ KimKarsmashian KimKarsmashian
@ Arcadenik Arcadenik
@ Jiggly Jiggly
@ Luigifan18 Luigifan18
@ SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy
@ L2 Sentinel L2 Sentinel
@Twin Shot
@PhazonCorruptedSquirtle
@Rockaphin
@PokémonSpears
@neoREgen
@Vsaur
@Braydon
@Nauzgo
@VioletScarlett
@Putuk
@Princess Toady
@Homelessvagrant
@Sonsa
@Arbok9782
@Xevious 1
@BobEugCox
@JackerX
@Pixel_
@IkeChromMarth
@Elite Gaymer
@Nauzgo
@TaRtOoN-Hand94
@Royvolution Ream
@BluePikmin11
@SpaceJell0
@Shog
@Dendros

Any Idea?
Leave your thoughts in the comment section![/USER]

Last edited:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Good point, let's have 7 Star Fox reps as well.

I couldn't care less if Ivysaur was DLC or not, but if you think "X series needs Y number of reps" or "X series can only have Y amount of reps", you're stupid. Sakurai has proven several times in the past that number of reps mean jack **** to him.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I couldn't care less if Ivysaur was DLC or not, but if you think "X series needs Y number of reps" or "X series can only have Y amount of reps", you're stupid. Sakurai has proven several times in the past that number of reps mean jack **** to him.
A swing and a miss.
I was saying that Mario series having seven reps isn't justification for pokemon having 7 as well.

BoN~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Riskyx
3DS FC
4742-7971-2374
Bah,Sorry Pokemon Have 5 with MEWTWO v:
Edit : Oh S*** I Confused,With Mewtwo
:4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4lucario::mewtwopm:
6 :v,7 With Ivy

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Dammit, evolve your pokemon, you pokecreationist!

Eh, I'll support anyway, but I'd rather he get to be Venusaur to be a non transforming character.

Spirst

Bah,Sorry Pokemon Have 5 with MEWTWO v:
No, 6. :4charizard::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4lucario::mewtwopm::4pikachu:
Another rep would make 7.

Dammit, evolve your pokemon, you pokecreationist!

Eh, I'll support anyway, but I'd rather he get to be Venusaur to be a non transforming character.
Venusaur would be too awkward for a Smash character. Ivysaur, other than Bulbasaur, is a good choice for the evolutionary line representative in Smash. Ivysaur strikes a good balance between being a unique quadrupedal (though DH is here now) grass-type Pokemon while still maintaining believable mobility to be a fighting game character. I feel like Venusaur would be too clunky to transition smoothly into the game. Plus, it's nice having a non-fully evolved starter.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm all about Ivy, man. Best fighter Smash ever saw. Charizard is a dirty traitor.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Good point, let's have 7 Star Fox reps as well.
Pokemon is Nintendo's most marketable franchise, it has a cast of 700+ unique characters, at least 500 of which would be Smash-viable, and at least 100 of which are iconic to the average guy walking the streets.

Pokemon could take up over half the roster and it wouldn't be "too many reps".

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Pokemon is Nintendo's most marketable franchise, it has a cast of 700+ unique characters, at least 500 of which would be Smash-viable, and at least 100 of which are iconic to the average guy walking the streets.
again, just.....
(I wish I knew a good GIF site)
being Smash viable does not mean they should be in Smash. And that is why we don't have Machoke or Sawk as playable.
also, being Smash viable isn't automatic justification for being in Smash. there is a reason why Mario does not have 20 reps. you must respect each series when designing the roster and each series should be limited to who or what represent the series best, in this case, it is starters or pokemon that were featured in the anime, all of which our current reps (and Ivysaur and Squirtle) fit into.
Pokemon could take up over half the roster and it wouldn't be "too many reps".
If you honestly believe this, you have no idea how the Smash roster works and I'm glad you're not designing it.

Last edited:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
A swing and a miss.
I was saying that Mario series having seven reps isn't justification for pokemon having 7 as well.
You should read my post again, 'cause you're only further proving what I was saying is correct. The "X series shouldn't have Y amount of reps" thing is bull****. Instead of saying that, you may as well just say, "I don't want Ivysaur to be DLC."

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
You should read my post again, 'cause you're only further proving what I was saying is correct.
You, are presumably saying that the amount of reps per series should not be a set number and can be whatever you want it to be.

I was saying that a bigger series having a number of reps doesn't equate to a series of smaller reps having the same.
And I do, in fact, want Ivysaur to return to the game. So don't make people's thoughts for them.

Perhaps I should have clarified myself. But then again, I did that in my next post and you should've asked for clarification if you were still unsure about what I was saying.

I'm going to leave it here, because I will not be responsible for 6 for 6 times someone does that again with my posts and:
Have a nice day.

Xavdul

Smash Rookie
NNID
kamodo2299
Ivysaur never felt that note worthy. Squirtle would be cool to have back, but people would complain. Pichu on the other hand...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Add me to the supporters list. I want all veterans to return.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How can I not want Ivysaur back? :ivysaur:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Ivysaur was favorite SSBB character & my competitive Primary (lol), especially out of the three PKMN to play from this guy
:pt:
The ledge mechanics in Smash 4 would of favored Ivy quite nicely & I'm still sad that Ivy isn't with us. Add me to the supporters list.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Add me as a supporter as well!

Maybe Ivysaur wouldn't have made sense as a character already in the game, but as DLC (and being a veteran with a unique moveset), it makes complete sense for him to return!

Just the fact that he is in the evolutionary line of one of the original starters justifies him enough for me. Plus he's super cute. And unique. Imagine the new moves too! To replace his down B, I think he could have Poison/Sleep Powder, and his final smash would have to be Solar Beam.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
We would probably get Squirtle first, even if Ivysaur DOES have a way cooler moveset.

Not that I'd complain. any DLC is good in my book.

Either way, I support.

I could have sworn there was another ivysaur thread but whatever. I support one of my favorite pokemon's evolutions and one of my favorite brawl characters.

(lol at comparing pokemon to star fox)

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I could have sworn there was another ivysaur thread but whatever. I support one of my favorite pokemon's evolutions and one of my favorite brawl characters.

(lol at comparing pokemon to star fox)
There is, but it has been dead since October.

:231:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather Ivysaur over Squirtle. And honestly, over Charizard, although I know nobody else will agree with me. Quadrupeds need more representation! Duck Hunt is a good start, but that's just the beginning.

I'm not a huge Ivysaur supporter, but I would be happy to see it back.

NeoHippie41

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaikuWarrior
Bums me out how little support Ivysaur and Squirtle have. They were both so fun to play as. I'm enjoying Charizard in 4 but he was my least favorite of the 3.

And why is Jigglypuff up there so butthurt over like 4 people supporting a character. Don't worry, it's not gonna happen bud. She won't be replacing whatever pipe dream you're hoping for.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ivysaur was my second favorite Pokemon in Brawl (Jigglypuff is #1 and Squirtle is #3).

It would be nice to have more quadrupeds in Smash. Duck Hunt is my favorite and I wanted both Duck Hunt and Ivysaur in SSB4.

D

Deleted member

I'd rather Ivysaur over Squirtle. And honestly, over Charizard, although I know nobody else will agree with me. Quadrupeds need more representation! Duck Hunt is a good start, but that's just the beginning.

I'm not a huge Ivysaur supporter, but I would be happy to see it back.
I'd take Ivysaur over Charizard...

D

Deleted member

...I'd rather have Sceptile.
I'll admit I actually got kinda excited about the idea of having Sceptile in Smash because it seems like a cool Pokemon, but alas, we didn't get that either.

You know what else I'd love to see someday? Take the idea of Olimar/Alph or the Koopalings a bit farther and allow for the option to select Igglybuff/Wigglytuff and Pichu/Raichu as alts. Of course their hitboxes and power would vary, but who cares--it would make more sense to keep them together on the CSS since they're otherwise very similar in shape and abilities.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I was cheated by Sakurai out of having an Ivysaur amiibo so I made my own
IMG_20150321_173744.jpg

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Bulbasaur is my favorite pokemon, so it was sad to see ivy go. She had so many cool things with her vines, and her quad-pedal nature. I am totally supporting her as DLC, it would be cool to see her thrown in, although I think I would prefer bulbasaur so he would be faster. Anyways, I would love to see one of these pokemon in the line in smash 4

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I wholeheartedly support Ivysaur's return. Bulbasaur was always my favorite starter, and Ivysaur is easily my favorite cut veteran. The only pokemon I'd rather have is Arcanine, but that'll never happen.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sigh... it seems the supporters list was never updated here either. But at least it's bigger than Squirtle's thread (Although that isn't saying much.). Honestly, I think a series can have as many reps as there are iconic characters in said series, and while I won't go as far as whole heartedly supporting Daisy (Her voice annoys me so much. And owning yet another game where she is constantly screaming at the top of her lungs would get old fast.) and Ridley. (although I'm indifferent about him at the moment.) I wouldn't mind seeing them in smash. (though less so about Daisy) I also have the firm belif that all characters that were in a smash game, or even planned for smash, but were cut due to time constraints, deserve a spot in the roster. (I support Pichu, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Meowth. Deal with it.)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I wholeheartedly support Ivysaur's return. Bulbasaur was always my favorite starter, and Ivysaur is easily my favorite cut veteran. The only pokemon I'd rather have is Arcanine, but that'll never happen.
Both of us being Bulba/Ivy and Kaidan fans make us anomalies. And gluttons for punishment to those who prefer the far worse alternatives. #Ashgoesboom

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think if Ivysaur was to return. He should have his up special changed to Stun Spore. Ivysaur surrounds himself in pollen, and then jumps. Any fighter that touches him while this is in effect will be stunned depending on when during the move they were hit.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I think if Ivysaur was to return. He should have his up special changed to Stun Spore. Ivysaur surrounds himself in pollen, and then jumps. Any fighter that touches him while this is in effect will be stunned depending on when during the move they were hit.
To be totally honest, I feel like PM Ivysaur is as perfect as Ivy could be. I know that Sakurai (wrongly) got rid of most of the tether recoveries but when used right they're oh so good

Top Bottom