• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur 3.6 speculation

TreK

Is "that guy"
The first trailer for PM 3.6 was just released, and out of curiosity (and the not-so-well-hidden hope that some PMDT member might stumble upon this thread and test some of the ideas we'll share in it), I'd like to know what changes you would expect, or hope for, when it comes to Ivysaur in 3.6

Experience has shown me that I was pretty bad at predicting the direction the game was going to take, so here are my predictions, all based on the very unlikely probability that 3.6 is just a more balanced 3.5 :

Design stuff :
-fsmash collision box fix : move to the ledge and do an fsmash as Ivysaur towards the edge. You get pushed back, and your vines slide as a mytical forcefield prevents you from shooting Ivysaur's body past the invisible borders of the stage. Now do the same thing with Marth. Your boots suddenly learn how to free themselves from the harsh tyranny of gravity, and you are able to step on thin air while your sword valiantly slashes through the skies. I want to valiantly slash through the skies with Ivysaur as well... And the animation is much better suited for that kind of behavior anyway.
-An alternate costume with accessories : Charizard and Mewtwo have their armors, Squirtle has his glasses, Pikachu and Jigglypuff have a bunch of fun accessories, Lucario is way too serious for that ****. So Ivysaur should get her own hats/glasses/thug chains.
-That kinda applies to 3.5 in general and not just Ivysaur, but the sleeping mechanism is kinda stupid : you are supposed to mash out of it, but you can cancel the waking up animation. So if you mash, you'll end up inputting a random move like an upB and that's much, much more punitive than going through a 15 frames long wake up animation. The flower is kinda stupid as well, you have to mash to make it go away but you still have control over your character so mashing isn't really an option.
-Fixing crawling : it's a problem that comes from Brawl. Crawling (forward or backwards) does not have the same speed whether you are facing right, or left. It stops some ATs like crawl dashing from being integrated into the metagame and that's always been kinda sad to me, as a Brawl Luigi main. I'd love PM to finally tackle this issue if it is even possible.
-Give Ivysaur her gatling combo back ! In your attempt to normalize dacuses, you only took options away from Ivysaur, since her dash attack hits on frame 4, after the new dacus window ends. It was a fun tool to use against abusive CC and fast fallers.
-If you're going to keep the tether recovery... Either remove the bump during Ivysaur's upB, or make her detect ledges after that bump. Right now, it is possible to hit the ledge with your upB without snapping it if you upB right below the vertical limit of the detection box, and I know it has been extremely counter intuitive to me when I first started playing Ivysaur.
-Seriously why do tether grabs only grab grounded opponents ? They already have a downside in their ridiculous end lag, do they need more ? It was justified in 3.02 because else the chain grabs would have been all over the place, but I doubt it is justified now thanks to her new uthrow.

Balance things : (most of those have already been talked about so I'm keeping it short for the most part)
-3.5 Ivy was kinda designed as a defensive character, but something went wrong there because if you watch any of Sothe or JZ's footage, you'll see that this is not what the optimal way of playing that character turned out to be. Machiavelli's the only top Ivy who still plays her that way and judging from Aftershock, it didn't have as much success as JZ's aggressive style. So you'll need to either buff her defensive abilities so that it ends up becoming the optimal way of playing the character, or do a 180 and make her an aggressive character by design instead of by accident. Personally, I find aggressive Ivysaur more interesting to play, having played 3.02 when she was indeed a very defensive character, to the point where she was often called non-interactive. I know that as far as I'm concerned, I'd love you to go for the 180, even if it comes at the price of some of our defensive capabilities.
If you are going with the defensive Ivysaur, here are what changes I'd make : a different usmash that would act as a fast anti air like Marth's utilt. That would allow Ivy to stop incoming obvious approaches, and give her a much needed oos option. And possibly the old smash razor leaf to deal with dash dance camping.
If you're going with the aggressive Ivy, here are what changes I'd make : a faster fair. She just needs to be slightly less telegraphed but other than that she's pretty much set imo.
-upB has a ton of lag for how bad it is at killing stuff. There needs to be more of an incentive to use it, match the reward with the risk taken, or the other way around.
-Tether recoveries are kind of braindead. I'd rather have a bad recovery with options than a good one with none.
-Seriously whatever you do, make sure it fixes the god damned Marth matchup. The rest of Ivy's matchup spread is pretty well balanced but oh god the Marth matchup. (Fox as well but contrarily to Marth who seems to be completely untouchable, I'm kind of expecting Fox nerfs since everybody is complaining about him already)

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I'm only expecting slight edits to the tether edgehog mechanics for things that affect Ivysaur. I doubt PMDT are going to rebalance characters all that much.

Boiko

:drshrug:
I'm sure you saw Hylian's post in top player vids thread, but, in case you didn't:

Honestly this thread will still be pretty relevant.
#notsayinganythingelse
Idk, I know Ivy needs some improvements, but I wouldn't get too excited for it to come in this patch.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I'm sure you saw Hylian's post in top player vids thread, but, in case you didn't:

Idk, I know Ivy needs some improvements, but I wouldn't get too excited for it to come in this patch.
Hey by predicting every possible change I'm sure to be right on at least one of them right ? :p

Korudatsu

Smash Rookie
If we are going to get any sort of buffs, knowing PMDT we will probably get some sort of nerf as well unfortunately. Up throw might heal for 1 less percent and maybe like a 5% angle increase on bair. I'm really hoping for the best though. I really love the idea for the disjoint upsmash out of shield option. Maybe keep the sweet spot in the center still, but having an anti air would be nice. Even if it has an incredible amount of ending lag, its better than what we had before. Wavelanding out of fair would be amazing, and maybe move the auto cancel frames sooner (I think they were almost doubled from 3.02 to 3.5)

Steel Kangaroo

Smash Ace
It's already possible to waveland out of ivy's fair iirc.
Yeah the timing for SH fair waveland is pretty strict (think you have to fair in place, any forward/backward drift eats too many frames), while FH fair waveland is easy and can be done even w a fairly late fair

TheObsoletecomputer

Smash Rookie
The only thing I'm really expecting and hoping for is some kind of buff to the tether. Like less lag off of the jump when another player is grabbing the ledge or an extra grab while offstage. I think anything else is kind of unrealistic for this kind of update, especially when they haven't really had any time to do any balancing. The last update was released just over four months ago.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Six months in ten days actually. I was planning on sharing my feedback on 3.5 (I've been taking and editing notes about PM since May of last year) for that anniversary but they released a trailer so I went like "eh, why naut"
That's the main reason I have like 2 pages worth of feedback and ideas for Ivysaur alone lol, I've been thinking about this stuff for a while already.

But eh, I get what you mean, it's going to be a small update indeed :V

-Sothe

Smash Cadet
Yeah the timing for SH fair waveland is pretty strict (think you have to fair in place, any forward/backward drift eats too many frames), while FH fair waveland is easy and can be done even w a fairly late fair
You get tons of time still, I can SH fair at opponents, shove down for the fastfall quickly, and still perfect waveland forward/backward.

TheObsoletecomputer

Smash Rookie
I actually just realized you can do that, and I've been messing around with it. Short hop fair into wavedashed d-smash is so amazing as a mixup

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
I want them to add anything technical. Almost every character has some cool tech that allows for more options and in depth characters, like waddle-dashing for D3 or shell shifting for squirtle, but Ivysaur has nothing. To me her skill ceiling seems very low compared to most characters. And the top can't compeat with most players. The only time I really loose against IVy is when I am stupidly aggressive and punished. I'm not sure what tech they could add to make her more interesting but I would take anything really.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Ivy needs to be given "technical" aspects just for the sake of it. I feel there's enough depth to his gameplay as it is--just have to be creative. He's more about spacing and balancing between defensive and offensive strategies.

Having played 3.5 for a while now with friends and with people on netplay, I think Ivy's kit is fine the way it is at this point. I even like his new up throw (great mix up/combo potential, especially when below platforms). Bair is still ridiculously good at spacing/gimping and even with the shortened range on Fair it's still very good at combo-ing. I could go on about how perfectly the rest of her kit works together now but those were the big changes in 3.5 most people had to adjust to.

I usually crave some sort of buff after each patch but I honestly feel Ivy is in a perfect position right now. My only fear is that they'll nerf Ivy again in 3.6--please don't! However, those tether mechanics....it almost a guarantee follow up for the character ledge hogging and you have only two options: slump forward or slump backwards, which make you vulnerable either way. There should be some sort of scaling on it's recovery time.

Aside from that, all I'd really want is a costume since Squirtle and Charizard received one, an actual 3rd victory animation (we still only have two!), and make his handstand taunt continue as long as you hold down the button.

Great work PMDT!

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
She does seem fairly balanced in 3.5, but I see no depth in her. I also see no hype, most characters have something that make a ton of hype, like Falcon punch or wolf's Side B, The closest thing would be her Solar Beam or her Up b, but its fairly easy to get one off a grab with reading DI which doesn't look cool in my opinion. I play PM because I like fast paced hype game play, Ivysaur seems like a great character in PM but lacks in fun and creativity.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
I guess it's about personal opinion lol. I agree there are characters with signature finishers that everyone is familiar with and enjoys watching, but it doesn't rule out what can be considered hype. There is more than one way to combo into Up B or Solarbeam I can tell you that, and it's just something easier to understand if you play the character well enough.

On the other hand, I would say most characters share similar amounts of moves which are finishers/hype--nothing different from Ivysaur. It's just a matter of preference and play style.

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
That's true I might just play against people who just don't go for hype stuff. I play PM almost solely for the hype. I don't really play Ivysaur because she is not my style, but how many people think they are going to see an exciting match when a player picks Ivy.

Last edited:

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
She does seem fairly balanced in 3.5, but I see no depth in her. I also see no hype, most characters have something that make a ton of hype, like Falcon punch or wolf's Side B, The closest thing would be her Solar Beam or her Up b, but its fairly easy to get one off a grab with reading DI which doesn't look cool in my opinion. I play PM because I like fast paced hype game play, Ivysaur seems like a great character in PM but lacks in fun and creativity.
Wow guys, better pack it up, gotta change this character because this dude who doesn't play Ivysaur sees no hype. Too bad there's no fun or creativity involved with playing this character :(

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
The closest thing would be her Solar Beam or her Up b, but its fairly easy to get one off a grab with reading DI which doesn't look cool in my opinion.
Irrelevant. People still somehow get hype about Falcon's guaranteed combos into guaranteed knees 13 years into the game.

RomulusPM

Smash Rookie
I find myself learning new things about Ivy everyday, I think she's really deep once you start to play her a lot, and she allows you to play the game in a number of different ways. I think creativity is very important in her gameplay. Sure she has some flaws, but all characters do. Don't judge a character until you've played them at least a little bit.

RomulusPM

Smash Rookie
Aside from that, all I'd really want is a costume since Squirtle and Charizard received one, an actual 3rd victory animation (we still only have two!), and make his handstand taunt continue as long as you hold down the button.
Just now saw this, and let me say - I'd love to see a new Ivy costume in 3.6!! Something to spice her up a bit. And the infinite handstand taunt thing sounds super fun too.

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
My apologies if I came off a little judgmental before. I think was a little annoyed at my brother who plays a very defensive boring Ivysaur. I thought of something that would be way too much effort for what it's worth but help Ivy. New animations! I know that animations are really hard to do in PM but if they her look cooler while doing a combo I think it would be amazing.

Beets

Smash Apprentice
What I am hoping to see personally is an overhaul in his seed bomb. I see very little use for the move as it stands, as it is extremely slow and easy to shield.

I suggest changing its utility into a proximity / time bomb to limit movement options. Ivysaur would only be able to let one of these fly at a time. However, when it hits an object that is not a player character, it will lay on the ground and act as a proximity mine a la Snake's down smash. Ivysaur would then have the option to set it off early with a second press of down b.

Or perhaps have it blow up after a certain period of time. However I believe having it be proximity based would be easier to detonate with a run-up and block tactic. Having it go off based on proximity would also allow Ivysaur to work with it more easily.

The other change I would suggest is an up b overhaul. As Olimar is receiving a new recovery option, I thought I would throw in my own two cents. You see, I love the way Orcane and Vaporeon use puddles to teleport in Rivals of Aether. I would like to see how this move would fare in Project M. They set down their puddles with Up, and then can teleport and consume those puddles with another press of Up B, leaving another different puddle where they were standing previously. If the PMDT could have Ivysaur teleport to seed bombs that have not been detonated, it would greatly help with Ivysaur's incredibly poor recovery options. It would also allow Ivysaur to play heavy mind games. Will Ivysaur come from the seed they placed earlier? should I bust it open and take the stun, forcing them to recover with Vine Whip? or should I ignore the seed and grab to ledge predicting a tether recovery?

What do you guys think? Would these change be welcome and / or useful? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
Interesting ideas for sure, but the detonating and teleporting with seed bomb wouldn't fit well with Ivysaur's lore and would seem out of place.

Aside from that, I feel seed bomb and up B is fine the way it is. Seed bomb use to be overpowered with faster fall speed which made it spammable--meaning more chances of placing the enemy into stun leading into free kills. As it is now, it isn't so brain dead but it definitely still has it's uses such as attacking those above, controlling space, and the seldom seed bomb stun. I also feel a teleport recovery with laid seed bombs would create the issue of "overpowered recoveries" again (the fact that you wouldn't even be able to edge guard it and also forced to camp at a seed bomb location) and plus it's not very canon to Ivy's character.

The only issue I have with up B is the fact that it's a glitched move where it fails to attach to the ledge certain times, especially with randall/opponent is hanging around. It's essentially tripping but with Ivy's recovery. I agree that up B has it's issues but I would hate to change it and have one of my best kill options unavailable if a seed bomb is out, and when it works the recovery is very good.

Beets

Smash Apprentice
While I agree that canon is important, Olimar's new jetpack up b is a sign that canon does not take precedent over utility, for the PMDT.

And I was thinking that plants grow from seeds, and seed bomb.

Tribbles

Smash Rookie
I don't think Ivy needs to be given "technical" aspects just for the sake of it. I feel there's enough depth to his gameplay as it is--just have to be creative. He's more about spacing and balancing between defensive and offensive strategies.

Having played 3.5 for a while now with friends and with people on netplay, I think Ivy's kit is fine the way it is at this point. I even like his new up throw (great mix up/combo potential, especially when below platforms). Bair is still ridiculously good at spacing/gimping and even with the shortened range on Fair it's still very good at combo-ing. I could go on about how perfectly the rest of her kit works together now but those were the big changes in 3.5 most people had to adjust to.

I usually crave some sort of buff after each patch but I honestly feel Ivy is in a perfect position right now. My only fear is that they'll nerf Ivy again in 3.6--please don't! However, those tether mechanics....it almost a guarantee follow up for the character ledge hogging and you have only two options: slump forward or slump backwards, which make you vulnerable either way. There should be some sort of scaling on it's recovery time.

Great work PMDT!
For future reference, Ivysaur is a girl

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
For future reference, Ivysaur is a girl
lol Ivy will be whatever gender I want him to be, despite what the official saying is. It's such a minute detail that I find it surprising how many people try to play the gender police around here.

Anyways, I'm praying we get that speculated mage costume and potential "evolution-cancel" taunt for Ivy next patch!

Top Bottom