• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's WALUIGI Time" Smash Speculation Corner

We are currently in what I call the "dawn era" of Smash speculation as we don't know if or when a new game is coming out but, given the popularity of the series, it's nearly a given that one will come out. Ultimate has been finished for over a year now which is typically the five-year mark until a new game. Ultimate was released rather early compared to previous games. For example, Brawl was released in 2008 while Smash for Wii U and 3DS was released in 2014. Many new games will be released in the coming years, games that could potentially even have characters added to a future Smash. This makes roster speculation far different compared to roster speculation during a current Smash game cycle. Basically, we are in a good spot right now where we can look at characters and franchises in real time that could be added in the future.

We are no longer bound due to the limitations put forth by Sakurai and his team so we are free to dream and speculate on what a new game would look like with a growing wealth of content to consider. This led me to begin a new series of articles that explore this content unbound by these limitations. I previously wrote a series of articles for Smashboards speculating possible downloadable content in the Fighter’s Pass and wrote on series such as NeiR Automata, Fortnite, and even Dragon Ball Z. I wanted to do something different though now we are in this unique timeframe between such an impactful game as Ultimate was and the future of the series. Everything is currently open game at this point so I wanted to try my hand at taking the experience of what I did previously and apply it to this time; touching on things I couldn’t before. And what better way to do that than to talk about a character who, to many people, had been deconfirmed for Ultimate since 2018. It's no better time for....

It's WALUIGI Time!
FDD4E578-B960-4267-845C-7D05531A8BAC.jpeg

Waluigi originally debuted in Mario Tennis on the Nintendo 64 as both an evil counterpart for Luigi and a partner for Wario. He has since appeared in a number of Mario spin-offs; namely Mario Kart, Mario Sports, and Mario Party. Waluigi's history with Super Smash Bros. is quite extensive, to say the least. He was first revealed in Melee as a Trophy but transitioned over to being an Assist Trophy (which made its debut in that game). His inclusion began a long-running tradition of Waluigi being featured in Smash as an Assist Trophy in each subsequent game to the point where it has become a meme Smash director Masahiro Sakurai even commented on Wauigi's ineptness to become playable in a Miiverse post back during the development of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS where he stated: "Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into battle."

With a character that has such a history in the Smash series but is also a mainstay in the Mario spinoff games, you would think Waluigi would get his time to shine rather than be regulated to an Assist Trophy. This has even led to some backslash against Sakurai when, back during Ultimate's development, Waluigi fans took to Twitter to voice frustrations about it. It garnered enough attention to be featured in mainstream media. That being said, even Sakurai is aware of Waluigi’s support at that time. So with the possibility of a new Smash Bros. on the horizon, now is the best time to openly discuss the potential of Waluigi finally breaking the binds of the “Curse of the Assist Trophy” and being promoted.

Gameplay Attributes

1672676449011.png

Waluigi's lanky frame makes him an exploitable fighter due to his tall height and low weight, so he probably wouldn't be a top-tier character if we’re being honest. His strengths lie in his reach due to the aforementioned lanky build and unpredictability in his moves. His damage output isn't the best but, funnily enough, he could have a sweetspot at the end of some of his attacks to add further unpredictability due to them being small and in unexpected places like Wii Fit Trainer. Due to his weight, his survivability is not the best so he needs to use his reach to keep opponents from bridging those gaps. Here's how Waluigi's stats could potentially look:
Height
Weight
Dash
Walk
Jump
Fall Speed
Airspeed
Stat Number
Similar to Rosalina​
78​
1.96​
1.247​
73​
1.32​
1.16​
Place on the roster
Tied w/ :ultsheik:
Between
:ultlucina:&:ultinkling:
Tied w/ :ultlink:
Between
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus:&:ultpichu:
Tied w/
:ultluigi::ultvillager:
Between
:ultswordfighter:&:ultmario::ultdk::ultsonic::ultlittlemac::ultinkling:

Specials

1672510514904.png

In regards to his moveset, Waluigi focuses on being unpredictable and even random. This goes in line with the character's archetype and personality as being a character that you can't really count on… but you can… kind of. His specials incorporate these aspects of his moveset design which, in a way, covers his weaknesses. This article (and possibly subsequent articles) only focuses on the Specials rather than normals, smashes, and so on to cut time and save up on space.

Move
Name
Description
Damage
Neutral Special
Tennis Serve​
Waluigi will throw the tennis ball into the air and then whack it. Pressing the special button will cause Waluigi to swing the racket forward. This has a multitude of options. One option is to hit the ball which will cause it to rocket forward; depending on how you time this serve, the tennis ball will move further, faster, and hit harder. Another option is to whiff the ball purposefully to cause it to hit lower; perhaps players trying to get back to the stage. Another option is to not hit the ball at all and cause it to fall which can hit opponents at lower levels. Finally, Waluigi could swing too early or late which causes the opponent to get hit by the racket or be used for mind games. Each one of these options deals different damage and knockback.

This move is pulled from the Mario Tennis series but I chose to include this as the Neutral Special since the move is the bread-and-butter of a character's moveset. With that in mind, I decided to incorporate the tennis aspect for the move as it is from the game where Waluigi made his debut.
  • Straight Shot: 8%
  • Whiff: 4%
  • Slam Shot (Sweetspotted): 12.5%
  • Racket: 2%
  • Dropped Ball: .5%
Side Special
Waluigi Kart​
Waluigi jumps into one of his karts and blasts forward in a manner very similar to Bowser Jr. and Wario. If the control stick is pushed forward and held while moving, it will cause Waluigi to gain some more speed thus more damage. Waluigi can turn back with a lot more control than Bowser Jr. and Wario. Waluigi has access to three karts: Standard WL, The Duke, and Waluigi Racer. Standard WL was Waluigi's main kart in Mario Kart DS while The Duke was from Mario Kart 8 as his main bike and Waluigi Racer was from Double Dash; his very first kart in the series Which vehicle he chooses is random and has no bearing on the move itself as it is purely cosmetic.
  • Initial Hit: 12%
  • Continued Hits: 5%
  • Turning Hit: 7%
  • Increased Speed Hit: 18.5%
  • Landing Hit: 15%
Up Special
WAHHH​
Waluigi spins rapidly while lifting himself in the air. As he spins, rose petals spread around him. It has a trajectory similar to Wii Fit Trainer's Up Special, but is even harder to control, which is a further nod to Waluigi's character. It has both good vertical and horizontal movement but it is hampered by Waluigi's lack of control during the attack. While this attack doesn't have any actual basis in Smash, it's drawn from Waluigi's own personality and penchant for being overdramatic in his movements.
  • 5.5% (per hit), 7% (last hitbox)
Down Special
Dice​
Waluigi pulls out the dice commonly seen in the series Mario Party. The number that it lands on upon contacting an opponent will deal the damage indicated plus appropriate knockback as well. The dice can bounce off a wall or obstacle which will still do damage if it makes contact with an opponent. I had considered adding a 2x damage multiplier but I never committed to that idea.
  • 1~9%
Final Smash
Waluigi Time!​
Waluigi takes a page from his days as an Assist Trophy and goes full ham on his opponents. He does a dash attack which will trap the opponent into the Final Smash. He then performs a large stomp which grounds them followed by more stomping. Previously, he would launch the opponent with a kick or tennis racket but this time, he stomps on the opponent with his feet and then delivers a series of hits with a golf club which causes it to bend. He then throws a Bob-omb which blasts the opponent up into the air. It then transitions into a dramatic cinematic cut of Waluigi winding up with a racket and then unleashing it; smacking the opponent into a Mario galaxy far, far away.
  • 52% total

Additional Content

This segment focuses on potential content such as taunts, victory animations, and so on to help bring Waluigi to life.
Entrance Animation
  • Waluigi pops out of an Assist Trophy and releases a wave of purple energy as if breaking from the Assist Trophy's curse.
Taunts
  • Up: Waluigi performs one of several dance moves. This can be interrupted, though they are all brief.
    • Moonwalk
    • Running Man
    • Floss
    • Dab
  • Side: Waluigi stands up while twirling his mustache and snickers while saying "Wah, heh heh heh!"
  • Down: Waluigi spins and performs a dramatic pose as rose petals swirl around him. He then says, "Waluigi's gunna win!"
Idle Poses
  • Waluigi slightly bends down and glares to the right and left like he is looking for trouble.
  • Waluigi wrings his hands together.
Victory Animations
  • Waluigi grabs his racket and takes a few practice swings before performing one large swing while saying "Waluigi's the best!"
  • Waluigi takes a Bob-omb and throws it behind him which causes it to explode dramatically. As it does, Waluigi looks back and scowls at the camera menacingly.
  • Waluigi comes dashing in, twirls, and then poses with a rose in his mouth as rose petals swirl about him.
Defeat Animation
  • Waluigi either takes a golf club or racket and throws it onto the ground while stomping on it.
Kirby Hat
  • Waluigi's cap, nose, and mustache.
Boxing Ring Title
  • The Purple Tornado
Palutena Guidance
  • Pit: Hey, look! Waluigi finally made it!
  • Viridi: An assist no more!
  • Palutena: It only took him, what, four games?
  • Pit: Man, I am glad I wasn’t an assist trophy, back then! Not that it’s bad but, you know, it’s sort of an honor being playable.
  • Palutena: Back then, I was a part of your Final Smash, Pit. It wasn't that glamorous, really.
  • Pit: Oh yeah, that's right! Unlike Waluigi who never changed, I got new Final Smashes in every game! Poor guy, he must have felt left out.
  • Viridi: I wouldn't mind being playable but...well...a Goddess of Nature needs to protect it! I don't like the idea of beating those poor pokemon or pikmin.
  • Pit: Huh...I never thought of it that way...wait...why is Lady Palutena sometimes beating on me? Does that mean she enjoys...
  • Palutena: clap clap That's enough you two. My enjoyment of beating on Pit withstanding, it's certainly a sign that times are changing when Waluigi finally gets in.
  • Viridi: That's for sure! He just couldn't get that letter no matter how hard he tried.
  • Palutena: That’s right. He tried to snatch it from Isabelle, Joker, Pyra, Min-Min, and even Terry!
  • Pit: Wow, I had no idea!
  • Palutena: Makes sense. He failed even before he could get his scheme started. It's still nice to see him back and ready for action.
  • Viridi: If he's like anything from the Mario Sports games, I am sure he brought his equipment! His personality is also off-the-wall bonkers so he is probably unpredictable. He is so light I bet even I could lift him up!
  • Palutena: Try to land a Smash Attack on Waluigi to make him go flying. He’s pretty low on the weight class.
  • Pit: I bet when I do that, he goes "WAAAAAHHHHH!!!" as he flies off!
  • Viridi: It's WAAAAALUIGI time!
  • Palutena: Ok, ok, you two. Enough horsing around. Time to get back to Smash.
  • Viridi & Pit: C'mon Palutena! Let's see your best Waluigi impression.
  • Palutena: Now, now.
  • Viridi & Pit: PLEEEASSE??
  • Palutena: .....sigh.....waaaaaaaluigi is gonna win....
  • Viridi & Pit: ...........................
Snake Codec

• Snake: Hey Otacon....I got Mario...or Luigi here but he is purple and looks like a clown.
  • Otacon: Hmmm...purple and looks like a clown....
  • Snake: Yeah and he keeps screaming "Waaaahhh" everywhere. I swear he looks familiar...
  • Otacon: It .... it can't be....they released him?
  • Snake: Come again? Released what? A Metal Gear?
  • Otacon: No, not a Metal Gear. They finally included Waluigi in Super Smash Bros. I can't believe it. The madman did it!
  • Snake: He’s a bit on the scrawny side and his moves are really janky. Was he a really requested character like Sora or Banjo or something?
  • Otacon: Well, yes and no. You said he looks familiar but that's not a coincidence. Waluigi has been an Assist Trophy since Brawl, Snake. The same game you first appeared in.
  • Snake: Assist Trophies? I always played “Items Off” and Final Destination. Maybe that’s why I didn’t recognize him at first.
  • Otacon: Ok, Mr. Competitive Player. Still, it is hard to believe it took him this long to get in. There were memes all over the internet about him not being playable.
  • Snake: Memes....
  • Otacon: I am just shocked he was included but perhaps, yes, truly it is Waluigi Time.
  • Snake: So, if he is a Mario bro; does he shoot fire and do that jump punch attack? Does he have a vacuum?
  • Otacon: I am not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if he uses some of his items from the Mario spinoff games like sports equipment, go-karts, and such. Being who he is, I would imagine he is quite unpredictable. You mentioned janky moves so I would be on your toes, Snake.
  • Snake: Gotcha. So watch out for some out-of-left-field-type attacks. And tennis rackets. And golf clubs. And bowling balls. And apparently go-karts.
Classic Mode Route: Assist No More!
All of Waluigi's opponents are characters that are now playable but were elements in previous Smash games such as 64, Melee, and Brawl. All music is from the spin-off games and is meant to either reference the opponent or the stage that is being fought on.
Round
Opponent
Stage
Music
References
1​
:ultlittlemac:
Boxing Ring​
Little Mac appeared as an Assist Trophy in Brawl.
2​
:ultdarksamus::ultchrom:
Arena Ferox​
Dark Samus appeared as an Assist Trophy while Chrom appeared in Robin's Final Smash in Wii U/3DS as well as a Mii Costume.
3​
:ultpalutena:
Skyworld​
Palutena appeared in Pit's Final Smash in Brawl.
4​
Giant
:ultridley:
Space Frigate Orpheon​
Ridley has appeared as a background character in 64, in Melee's opening intro and as a trophy, as a boss in Brawl, and as a stage boss in Wii U.
5​
:ultcharizard:
Saffron City​
Charizard appeared as a pokeball pokemon in 64 and Melee.
6​
:ultisabelle:
Smashville​
Isabelle appeared as both a Mii Costume and Assist Trophy in Wii U/3DS.
Final​
Petey Piranha​
Petey Piranha's Domain​
Petey Piranha appeared as a boss in Brawl and in Piranha Plant's Final Smash in Ultimate.

Palette Swap
Below is a list of potential palette swaps for Waluigi. I included two additional alts, one referencing Waluigi's Nintendo 64 appearance as that was the style he first debuted in.
1672510308549.png

Waluigi_1.png

Purple

Default​
Waluigi2.png

Waluigi_2.png

Red
Based on Mario​
Waluigi3.png

Waluigi_3.png

Green
Based on Luigi​
Waluigi4.png

Waluigi_4.png

Yellow
Based on Wario​
Waluigi5.png

Waluigi_5.png

Black
Based on Mario Tennis alternate outfit​
Waluigi6.png

Waluigi_6.png

White
Based on a concept for Fire Waluigi​
1672675847838.png

Waluigi_7.png

Dark Purple
Polygonal Mario Golf outfit​
1672675910496.png

Waluigi_8.png

Light Purple
Based on Mario Tennis Aces outfit​

Reveal Trailer

The scene is on Mario Avenue where all of the Mario characters live in regard to gaming. Waluigi (fully rendered in Gamecube-esque graphics) is waiting for mail from the Mail-toad on announcement day for Super Smash Bros. Melee. To his horror though, he finds out that he will be included as “a trophy”. Saddened, Waliugi watches as Mario and Luigi celebrate with Bowser, Peach, and Dr. Mario down the street. The scene cuts to the days leading up to Brawl. Waluigi (and everything else) has taken on a desaturated tone this time. He anxiously waits by the window for the Mail-toad but is worried as the TV has been advertising the new “Assist Trophy”. Waluigi quickly gets his letter but falls into disbelief as he has been relegated to that of Assist Trophy. He then decides that just waiting for an invitation is not enough: he needs to be underhanded about it.

On the next announcement day, Waluigi (and now fully saturated in color) waits for the Mail-toad so he can steal one of the invitations. He decides on Toad as no one would miss him so, as soon as the Mail-toad comes, he grabs the letter and opens it only to find “Trophy” written in it. However, Waluigi discovers invitations aren’t only for Mario characters but for Nintendo characters as well. With that in mind, he decides to break into the metaverse and steal a letter from a character The next few shots is Waluigi trying to steal invitations from Isabelle, Joker, Terry, Byleth, Min-min, and Pyra but fails each and every time. In the montage, he gets arrested by Copper and Booker from Animal Crossing, attacked by the Persona-shadow figures and falls off the building instead of Geese Howard. He finally gives up and resigns himself to his fate.

Fast forward to the present time, development begins again but Waluigi stays asleep in bed on announcement day; unable to bear being left out again. However, a commotion stirs him out of his melancholy and he looks outside his door to see a throng of characters through Smash history and they are holding up an envelope. A light shines from the letter. Waluigi approaches the letter cautiously because he knows that this could be a potential setup to further humiliate him. He takes the letter with his hands shaking and opens up the letter to find "Playable Character" written on it. Waluigi, exploding with joy and happiness, jumps up into the air while holding the Smash Invitation with tears streaming from his eyes as the others raise their hands in celebration. He finally made it in!

Que the splash scene "It's WALUIGI Time!"

A post-reveal scene after the Smash logo has Toad & Toadette arriving from a vacation only to find they missed the announcement. They open their letter but it appears that it was tampered with; possibly with glue and scissors with an “Assist Trophy” put there. They look at Waluigi's general direction with intense suspicion. Did Waluigi swap out the letters and cut and paste the results? Who knows...

Conclusion

Waluigi has been a facet of Smash speculation since Brawl and has always had large amounts of support as a character. While his popularity was often overshadowed by characters such as Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, and so on; he still continues to be supported to this day. Waluigi is unique as he is commonly requested but has also been an Assist Trophy since Brawl. Whether you like or hate him, you can't argue that Waluigi is a popular character and a contender to be playable in the next game. He could bring in a wealth of wacky, new content as well including music and possible stange based off of Wario Pinball from Mario Kart. It already has a song featured so it makes perfect sense. Waluigi is looking really good to finally obtain "playable character" status this time around!

Credits
Writing: Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
Editing: @Sari
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp
Social Media: @Zerp

Author's Note: It's been such a long time since I wrote anything like this for the site. It was great to jump back into it. Personally, I have never counted myself as one of Waluigi's groupies but I feel that Waluigi has proved himself to be able to become a playable character and the next game, whenever it comes, should be the one where Waluigi comes back. Do you think Waluigi was properly represented in this article? How do you feel about Waluigi's chances? Or do you not want to see him added? What is your own trailer idea? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Venus of the Desert Bloom

Comments

Waluigi has been one of my most wanted characters for some time now, and I really like this interpretation of what he could be like (Waluigi's dance taunt feels so wrong and so right at the same time). Honestly, the very nature of Waluigi is what makes speculating about him so enjoyable - There's a suprising amount of stuff you can do with him that every fan-made Waluigi moveset can feel different in some way, and this one is no exception. Overall, nice work!

I'm not too fussed about Waluigi in Smash anymore, but I'm still willing to say for a fact that he's going to be in the next game. This is an absolute Inkling-level lock. A first party cult favourite who is heavily demanded; well known to outsiders; and continues to have a near-perfect attendance (a.k.a. a lot of games to shill), he ticks every box for a Namco-era first party newcomer.

I've always felt an ideal RNG move for Waluigi would be pulling an item out of an item box, kinda like Peach's down B without the vegetables - he'd pretty much only spawn weaker stuff like Ray Guns; Lip's Sticks; and Bumpers, which would force both Waluigi and his opponent to change up their tactics like a good RNG move should (as opposed to just handing you a KO on a plate)

We are currently in what I call the "dawn era" of Smash speculation as we don't know if or when a new game is coming out but, given the popularity of the series, it's nearly a given that one will come out. Ultimate has been finished for over a year now which is typically the five-year mark until a new game. Ultimate was released rather early compared to previous games. For example, Brawl was released in 2008 while Smash for Wii U and 3DS was released in 2014. Many new games will be released in the coming years, games that could potentially even have characters added to a future Smash. This makes roster speculation far different compared to roster speculation during a current Smash game cycle. Basically, we are in a good spot right now where we can look at characters and franchises in real time that could be added in the future.

We are no longer bound due to the limitations put forth by Sakurai and his team so we are free to dream and speculate on what a new game would look like with a growing wealth of content to consider. This led me to begin a new series of articles that explore this content unbound by these limitations. I previously wrote a series of articles for Smashboards speculating possible downloadable content in the Fighter’s Pass and wrote on series such as NeiR Automata, Fortnite, and even Dragon Ball Z. I wanted to do something different though now we are in this unique timeframe between such an impactful game as Ultimate was and the future of the series. Everything is currently open game at this point so I wanted to try my hand at taking the experience of what I did previously and apply it to this time; touching on things I couldn’t before. And what better way to do that than to talk about a character who, to many people, had been deconfirmed for Ultimate since 2018. It's no better time for....

It's WALUIGI Time!
View attachment 365925
Waluigi originally debuted in Mario Tennis on the Nintendo 64 as both an evil counterpart for Luigi and a partner for Wario. He has since appeared in a number of Mario spin-offs; namely Mario Kart, Mario Sports, and Mario Party. Waluigi's history with Super Smash Bros. is quite extensive, to say the least. He was first revealed in Melee as a Trophy but transitioned over to being an Assist Trophy (which made its debut in that game). His inclusion began a long-running tradition of Waluigi being featured in Smash as an Assist Trophy in each subsequent game to the point where it has become a meme Smash director Masahiro Sakurai even commented on Wauigi's ineptness to become playable in a Miiverse post back during the development of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS where he stated: "Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into battle."

With a character that has such a history in the Smash series but is also a mainstay in the Mario spinoff games, you would think Waluigi would get his time to shine rather than be regulated to an Assist Trophy. This has even led to some backslash against Sakurai when, back during Ultimate's development, Waluigi fans took to Twitter to voice frustrations about it. It garnered enough attention to be featured in mainstream media. That being said, even Sakurai is aware of Waluigi’s support at that time. So with the possibility of a new Smash Bros. on the horizon, now is the best time to openly discuss the potential of Waluigi finally breaking the binds of the “Curse of the Assist Trophy” and being promoted.

Gameplay Attributes

View attachment 365926
Waluigi's lanky frame makes him an exploitable fighter due to his tall height and low weight, so he probably wouldn't be a top-tier character if we’re being honest. His strengths lie in his reach due to the aforementioned lanky build and unpredictability in his moves. His damage output isn't the best but, funnily enough, he could have a sweetspot at the end of some of his attacks to add further unpredictability due to them being small and in unexpected places like Wii Fit Trainer. Due to his weight, his survivability is not the best so he needs to use his reach to keep opponents from bridging those gaps. Here's how Waluigi's stats could potentially look:
Height
Weight
Dash
Walk
Jump
Fall Speed
Airspeed
Stat Number
Similar to Rosalina​
78​
1.96​
1.247​
73​
1.32​
1.16​
Place on the roster
Tied w/ :ultsheik:
Between
:ultlucina:&:ultinkling:
Tied w/ :ultlink:
Between
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus:&:ultpichu:
Tied w/
:ultluigi::ultvillager:
Between
:ultswordfighter:&:ultmario::ultdk::ultsonic::ultlittlemac::ultinkling:
In regards to his moveset, Waluigi focuses on being unpredictable and even random. This goes in line with the character's archetype and personality as being a character that you can't really count on… but you can… kind of. His specials incorporate these aspects of his moveset design which, in a way, covers his weaknesses. This article (and possibly subsequent articles) only focuses on the Specials rather than normals, smashes, and so on to cut time and save up on space.

Move
Name
Description
Damage
Neutral Special
Tennis Serve​
Waluigi will throw the tennis ball into the air and then whack it. Pressing the special button will cause Waluigi to swing the racket forward. This has a multitude of options. One option is to hit the ball which will cause it to rocket forward; depending on how you time this serve, the tennis ball will move further, faster, and hit harder. Another option is to whiff the ball purposefully to cause it to hit lower; perhaps players trying to get back to the stage. Another option is to not hit the ball at all and cause it to fall which can hit opponents at lower levels. Finally, Waluigi could swing too early or late which causes the opponent to get hit by the racket or be used for mind games. Each one of these options deals different damage and knockback.

This move is pulled from the Mario Tennis series but I chose to include this as the Neutral Special since the move is the bread-and-butter of a character's moveset. With that in mind, I decided to incorporate the tennis aspect for the move as it is from the game where Waluigi made his debut.
  • Straight Shot: 8%
  • Whiff: 4%
  • Slam Shot (Sweetspotted): 12.5%
  • Racket: 2%
  • Dropped Ball: .5%
Side Special
Waluigi Kart​
Waluigi jumps into one of his karts and blasts forward in a manner very similar to Bowser Jr. and Wario. If the control stick is pushed forward and held while moving, it will cause Waluigi to gain some more speed thus more damage. Waluigi can turn back with a lot more control than Bowser Jr. and Wario. Waluigi has access to three karts: Standard WL, The Duke, and Waluigi Racer. Standard WL was Waluigi's main kart in Mario Kart DS while The Duke was from Mario Kart 8 as his main bike and Waluigi Racer was from Double Dash; his very first kart in the series Which vehicle he chooses is random and has no bearing on the move itself as it is purely cosmetic.
  • Initial Hit: 12%
  • Continued Hits: 5%
  • Turning Hit: 7%
  • Increased Speed Hit: 18.5%
  • Landing Hit: 15%
Up Special
WAHHH​
Waluigi spins rapidly while lifting himself in the air. As he spins, rose petals spread around him. It has a trajectory similar to Wii Fit Trainer's Up Special, but is even harder to control, which is a further nod to Waluigi's character. It has both good vertical and horizontal movement but it is hampered by Waluigi's lack of control during the attack. While this attack doesn't have any actual basis in Smash, it's drawn from Waluigi's own personality and penchant for being overdramatic in his movements.
  • 5.5% (per hit), 7% (last hitbox)
Down Special
Dice​
Waluigi pulls out the dice commonly seen in the series Mario Party. The number that it lands on upon contacting an opponent will deal the damage indicated plus appropriate knockback as well. The dice can bounce off a wall or obstacle which will still do damage if it makes contact with an opponent. I had considered adding a 2x damage multiplier but I never committed to that idea.
  • 1~9%
Final Smash
Waluigi Time!​
Waluigi takes a page from his days as an Assist Trophy and goes full ham on his opponents. He does a dash attack which will trap the opponent into the Final Smash. He then performs a large stomp which grounds them followed by more stomping. Previously, he would launch the opponent with a kick or tennis racket but this time, he stomps on the opponent with his feet and then delivers a series of hits with a golf club which causes it to bend. He then throws a Bob-omb which blasts the opponent up into the air. It then transitions into a dramatic cinematic cut of Waluigi winding up with a racket and then unleashing it; smacking the opponent into a Mario galaxy far, far away.
  • 52% total

Additional Content

This segment focuses on potential content such as taunts, victory animations, and so on to help bring Waluigi to life.
Entrance Animation
  • Waluigi pops out of an Assist Trophy and releases a wave of purple energy as if breaking from the Assist Trophy's curse.
Taunts
  • Up: Waluigi performs one of several dance moves. This can be interrupted, though they are all brief.
    • Moonwalk
    • Running Man
    • Floss
    • Dab
  • Side: Waluigi stands up while twirling his mustache and snickers while saying "Wah, heh heh heh!"
  • Down: Waluigi spins and performs a dramatic pose as rose petals swirl around him. He then says, "Waluigi's gunna win!"
Idle Poses
  • Waluigi slightly bends down and glares to the right and left like he is looking for trouble.
  • Waluigi wrings his hands together.
Victory Animations
  • Waluigi grabs his racket and takes a few practice swings before performing one large swing while saying "Waluigi's the best!"
  • Waluigi takes a Bob-omb and throws it behind him which causes it to explode dramatically. As it does, Waluigi looks back and scowls at the camera menacingly.
  • Waluigi comes dashing in, twirls, and then poses with a rose in his mouth as rose petals swirl about him.
Defeat Animation
  • Waluigi either takes a golf club or racket and throws it onto the ground while stomping on it.
Kirby Hat
  • Waluigi's cap, nose, and mustache.
Boxing Ring Title
  • The Purple Tornado
Palutena Guidance
  • Pit: Hey, look! Waluigi finally made it!
  • Viridi: An assist no more!
  • Palutena: It only took him, what, four games?
  • Pit: Man, I am glad I wasn’t an assist trophy, back then! Not that it’s bad but, you know, it’s sort of an honor being playable.
  • Palutena: Back then, I was a part of your Final Smash, Pit. It wasn't that glamorous, really.
  • Pit: Oh yeah, that's right! Unlike Waluigi who never changed, I got new Final Smashes in every game! Poor guy, he must have felt left out.
  • Viridi: I wouldn't mind being playable but...well...a Goddess of Nature needs to protect it! I don't like the idea of beating those poor pokemon or pikmin.
  • Pit: Huh...I never thought of it that way...wait...why is Lady Palutena sometimes beating on me? Does that mean she enjoys...
  • Palutena: clap clap That's enough you two. My enjoyment of beating on Pit withstanding, it's certainly a sign that times are changing when Waluigi finally gets in.
  • Viridi: That's for sure! He just couldn't get that letter no matter how hard he tried.
  • Palutena: That’s right. He tried to snatch it from Isabelle, Joker, Pyra, Min-Min, and even Terry!
  • Pit: Wow, I had no idea!
  • Palutena: Makes sense. He failed even before he could get his scheme started. It's still nice to see him back and ready for action.
  • Viridi: If he's like anything from the Mario Sports games, I am sure he brought his equipment! His personality is also off-the-wall bonkers so he is probably unpredictable. He is so light I bet even I could lift him up!
  • Palutena: Try to land a Smash Attack on Waluigi to make him go flying. He’s pretty low on the weight class.
  • Pit: I bet when I do that, he goes "WAAAAAHHHHH!!!" as he flies off!
  • Viridi: It's WAAAAALUIGI time!
  • Palutena: Ok, ok, you two. Enough horsing around. Time to get back to Smash.
  • Viridi & Pit: C'mon Palutena! Let's see your best Waluigi impression.
  • Palutena: Now, now.
  • Viridi & Pit: PLEEEASSE??
  • Palutena: .....sigh.....waaaaaaaluigi is gonna win....
  • Viridi & Pit: ...........................
Snake Codec

• Snake: Hey Otacon....I got Mario...or Luigi here but he is purple and looks like a clown.
  • Otacon: Hmmm...purple and looks like a clown....
  • Snake: Yeah and he keeps screaming "Waaaahhh" everywhere. I swear he looks familiar...
  • Otacon: It .... it can't be....they released him?
  • Snake: Come again? Released what? A Metal Gear?
  • Otacon: No, not a Metal Gear. They finally included Waluigi in Super Smash Bros. I can't believe it. The madman did it!
  • Snake: He’s a bit on the scrawny side and his moves are really janky. Was he a really requested character like Sora or Banjo or something?
  • Otacon: Well, yes and no. You said he looks familiar but that's not a coincidence. Waluigi has been an Assist Trophy since Brawl, Snake. The same game you first appeared in.
  • Snake: Assist Trophies? I always played “Items Off” and Final Destination. Maybe that’s why I didn’t recognize him at first.
  • Otacon: Ok, Mr. Competitive Player. Still, it is hard to believe it took him this long to get in. There were memes all over the internet about him not being playable.
  • Snake: Memes....
  • Otacon: I am just shocked he was included but perhaps, yes, truly it is Waluigi Time.
  • Snake: So, if he is a Mario bro; does he shoot fire and do that jump punch attack? Does he have a vacuum?
  • Otacon: I am not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if he uses some of his items from the Mario spinoff games like sports equipment, go-karts, and such. Being who he is, I would imagine he is quite unpredictable. You mentioned janky moves so I would be on your toes, Snake.
  • Snake: Gotcha. So watch out for some out-of-left-field-type attacks. And tennis rackets. And golf clubs. And bowling balls. And apparently go-karts.
Classic Mode Route: Assist No More!
All of Waluigi's opponents are characters that are now playable but were elements in previous Smash games such as 64, Melee, and Brawl. All music is from the spin-off games and is meant to either reference the opponent or the stage that is being fought on.
Round
Opponent
Stage
Music
References
1​
:ultlittlemac:
Boxing Ring​
Little Mac appeared as an Assist Trophy in Brawl.
2​
:ultdarksamus::ultchrom:
Arena Ferox​
Dark Samus appeared as an Assist Trophy while Chrom appeared in Robin's Final Smash in Wii U/3DS as well as a Mii Costume.
3​
:ultpalutena:
Skyworld​
Palutena appeared in Pit's Final Smash in Brawl.
4​
Giant
:ultridley:
Space Frigate Orpheon​
Ridley has appeared as a background character in 64, in Melee's opening intro and as a trophy, as a boss in Brawl, and as a stage boss in Wii U.
5​
:ultcharizard:
Saffron City​
Charizard appeared as a pokeball pokemon in 64 and Melee.
6​
:ultisabelle:
Smashville​
Isabelle appeared as both a Mii Costume and Assist Trophy in Wii U/3DS.
Final​
Petey Piranha​
Petey Piranha's Domain​
Petey Piranha appeared as a boss in Brawl and in Piranha Plant's Final Smash in Ultimate.

Palette Swap
Below is a list of potential palette swaps for Waluigi. I included two additional alts, one referencing Waluigi's Nintendo 64 appearance as that was the style he first debuted in.
View attachment 365917
View attachment 365918
Black
Based on Mario Tennis alternate outfit​
View attachment 365920
View attachment 365919
White
Based on a concept for Fire Waluigi​
View attachment 365921
View attachment 365922
Dark Purple
Polygonal Mario Golf outfit​
View attachment 365923
View attachment 365924
Light Purple
Based on Mario Tennis Aces outfit​

Reveal Trailer

The scene is on Mario Avenue where all of the Mario characters live in regard to gaming. Waluigi (fully rendered in Gamecube-esque graphics) is waiting for mail from the Mail-toad on announcement day for Super Smash Bros. Melee. To his horror though, he finds out that he will be included as “a trophy”. Saddened, Waliugi watches as Mario and Luigi celebrate with Bowser, Peach, and Dr. Mario down the street. The scene cuts to the days leading up to Brawl. Waluigi (and everything else) has taken on a desaturated tone this time. He anxiously waits by the window for the Mail-toad but is worried as the TV has been advertising the new “Assist Trophy”. Waluigi quickly gets his letter but falls into disbelief as he has been relegated to that of Assist Trophy. He then decides that just waiting for an invitation is not enough: he needs to be underhanded about it.

On the next announcement day, Waluigi (and now fully saturated in color) waits for the Mail-toad so he can steal one of the invitations. He decides on Toad as no one would miss him so, as soon as the Mail-toad comes, he grabs the letter and opens it only to find “Trophy” written in it. However, Waluigi discovers invitations aren’t only for Mario characters but for Nintendo characters as well. With that in mind, he decides to break into the metaverse and steal a letter from a character The next few shots is Waluigi trying to steal invitations from Isabelle, Joker, Terry, Byleth, Min-min, and Pyra but fails each and every time. In the montage, he gets arrested by Copper and Booker from Animal Crossing, attacked by the Persona-shadow figures and falls off the building instead of Geese Howard. He finally gives up and resigns himself to his fate.

Fast forward to the present time, development begins again but Waluigi stays asleep in bed on announcement day; unable to bear being left out again. However, a commotion stirs him out of his melancholy and he looks outside his door to see a throng of characters through Smash history and they are holding up an envelope. A light shines from the letter. Waluigi approaches the letter cautiously because he knows that this could be a potential setup to further humiliate him. He takes the letter with his hands shaking and opens up the letter to find "Playable Character" written on it. Waluigi, exploding with joy and happiness, jumps up into the air while holding the Smash Invitation with tears streaming from his eyes as the others raise their hands in celebration. He finally made it in!

Que the splash scene "It's WALUIGI Time!"

A post-reveal scene after the Smash logo has Toad & Toadette arriving from a vacation only to find they missed the announcement. They open their letter but it appears that it was tampered with; possibly with glue and scissors with an “Assist Trophy” put there. They look at Waluigi's general direction with intense suspicion. Did Waluigi swap out the letters and cut and paste the results? Who knows...

Conclusion

Waluigi has been a facet of Smash speculation since Brawl and has always had large amounts of support as a character. While his popularity was often overshadowed by characters such as Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, and so on; he still continues to be supported to this day. Waluigi is unique as he is commonly requested but has also been an Assist Trophy since Brawl. Whether you like or hate him, you can't argue that Waluigi is a popular character and a contender to be playable in the next game. He could bring in a wealth of wacky, new content as well including music and possible stange based off of Wario Pinball from Mario Kart. It already has a song featured so it makes perfect sense. Waluigi is looking really good to finally obtain "playable character" status this time around!

Credits
Writing: Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
Editing: @Sari
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp
Social Media: @Zerp

Author's Note: It's been such a long time since I wrote anything like this for the site. It was great to jump back into it. Personally, I have never counted myself as one of Waluigi's groupies but I feel that Waluigi has proved himself to be able to become a playable character and the next game, whenever it comes, should be the one where Waluigi comes back. Do you think Waluigi was properly represented in this article? How do you feel about Waluigi's chances? Or do you not want to see him added? What is your own trailer idea? Let us know in the comments below.
I love your ideas! I just think you insist way too much on the former assist aspect. His entry animation should be the same as Mario and Luigi's, for instance (as should Wario's, in my opinion). Also, the reveal trailer making fun of characters who don't make it is kinda cruel, even if it has been done before.

I feel like Waluigi having meta-references to being an AT would be fine, if a bit unfunny, as DLC or a trailer, but I don't think it should be done in-game if he's a base game character if only because of how nonsensical it would be to all the new players, specifically kids who weren't around for the last game (especially given that Waluigi is himself a kids' character)

Last edited:
I feel like it might be cool to have a potential Waluigi moveset emphasize dancing or at least moving stylishly like that since it isn’t really a thing many other smash characters have tried to do

also I feel like the toad and toadette thing would 100% be interpreted as a tease for a future fighter even if smash had never done that before. Just a minor nitpick though overall I like the article.

I have Multiple Issues With Waluigi making it in Let me Explain:
1. He Really has barely any moves of his own !
2. Mario spinoff characters shouldnt be focused on cause basically tons of mario caharcters are playable in those!
3. Mario has from 13 Characters thats a Ridicoulous Ammount!
4. Toad Should 1000% Be the next Mario Character i think he shouldve been already in Smash 4 Replacing Rosa or in smash ultimate replacing Plant!

I have Multiple Issues With Waluigi making it in Let me Explain:
1. He Really has barely any moves of his own !
2. Mario spinoff characters shouldnt be focused on cause basically tons of mario caharcters are playable in those!
3. Mario has from 13 Characters thats a Ridicoulous Ammount!
4. Toad Should 1000% Be the next Mario Character i think he shouldve been already in Smash 4 Replacing Rosa or in smash ultimate replacing Plant!
I am not a huge Waluigi supporter but ...

1) And Bandana Waddle Dee does?
"Barely any moves" is an extremely weak argument that constantly gets thrown into people's faces when you bring in a multitude of characters who "barely have any moves" who are currently in Ultimate's roster.
2) There are only a few, not "tons". Toad, Kamek, Dry Bowser, Birdo, and maybe Pauline. Even then, it's scrapping the barrel. Waluigi and Toad are easily the top 2 potential characters.
3) One could make the argument that the Koopalings don't represent" unique fighters" which is truly what people look at. People don't say Pikmin has two characters as it only has one. Dragon Quest has one unique fighter with four characters that operate under that banner. If you want to split hairs, then Mario does have a large amount but you need to make a distinction between what constitutes a "fighter". This seems like a fairly weak argument on to base any reasoning.
4) I do agree Toad is probably high on the list of characters who truly deserve to be playable but until he is separated from Peach, it doesn't look like it. Saying that "Waluigi could be upgraded to playable from an Assist" is easier development-wise than saying "Peach's Side Special can be removed and changed to an entirely new move so Toad can be playable." We have never had that sort of situation and, based on feedback from the community, we tend to speculate based on precedent (or used to).

Again, I know these are your opinions but you made some really weak arguments.

I am not a huge Waluigi supporter but ...

1) And Bandana Waddle Dee does?
"Barely any moves" is an extremely weak argument that constantly gets thrown into people's faces when you bring in a multitude of characters who "barely have any moves" who are currently in Ultimate's roster.
2) There are only a few, not "tons". Toad, Kamek, Dry Bowser, Birdo, and maybe Pauline. Even then, it's scrapping the barrel. Waluigi and Toad are easily the top 2 potential characters.
3) One could make the argument that the Koopalings don't represent" unique fighters" which is truly what people look at. People don't say Pikmin has two characters as it only has one. Dragon Quest has one unique fighter with four characters that operate under that banner. If you want to split hairs, then Mario does have a large amount but you need to make a distinction between what constitutes a "fighter". This seems like a fairly weak argument on to base any reasoning.
4) I do agree Toad is probably high on the list of characters who truly deserve to be playable but until he is separated from Peach, it doesn't look like it. Saying that "Waluigi could be upgraded to playable from an Assist" is easier development-wise than saying "Peach's Side Special can be removed and changed to an entirely new move so Toad can be playable." We have never had that sort of situation and, based on feedback from the community, we tend to speculate based on precedent (or used to).

Again, I know these are your opinions but you made some really weak arguments.
I shouldve been more specific First one of theese point isnt enough against a character its more the combination!
Second: BWD HAS Moves He Might share them with the Spear Ability BUT He Continues to appear while spear never did!, Also He Uses A Parasol true kirby does aswell but its not like aalmost all of his moves could be done by every Kirby Character At most Kirby and Gooey A could share some of his Moves!
Third: you forgot: Koopa, Toadette and tons of others while nobody asks for them in smash thats not what ive said ive only said there are tons of spinoff chars (Because Waluigi is often given a spinoff Moveset)
Fourth: No i didnt count the Koopalings i only counted DK, Diddy, King K Rool, Yoshi and Wario while its true that they have their own series at the very least Dokey and Yoshi Should cont as Mario Characters!
Fifth: True thats a good argument but her side special could just be changed to her holding a Mushroom But thats just an idea!
And Thanks for being Civil! i hope i clarified my first post a bit!

do agree Toad is probably high on the list of characters who truly deserve to be playable but until he is separated from Peach, it doesn't look like it. Saying that "Waluigi could be upgraded to playable from an Assist" is easier development-wise than saying "Peach's Side Special can be removed and changed to an entirely new move so Toad can be playable."
Easy fix: Just swap out Toad for Toadsworth, change the animations so he hits people with his cane and boom. The move is changed and Toad is free to become a fighter.

Also, they did change Pit's Final Smash in Smash 4, removing Palutena's image in the background, and then Palutena became a fighter, so something like that has happened before.

I shouldve been more specific First one of theese point isnt enough against a character its more the combination!
Second: BWD HAS Moves He Might share them with the Spear Ability BUT He Continues to appear while spear never did!, Also He Uses A Parasol true kirby does aswell but its not like aalmost all of his moves could be done by every Kirby Character At most Kirby and Gooey A could share some of his Moves!
Third: you forgot: Koopa, Toadette and tons of others while nobody asks for them in smash thats not what ive said ive only said there are tons of spinoff chars (Because Waluigi is often given a spinoff Moveset)
Fourth: No i didnt count the Koopalings i only counted DK, Diddy, King K Rool, Yoshi and Wario while its true that they have their own series at the very least Dokey and Yoshi Should cont as Mario Characters!
Fifth: True thats a good argument but her side special could just be changed to her holding a Mushroom But thats just an idea!
And Thanks for being Civil! i hope i clarified my first post a bit!
1)I know Bandana Dee does have moves but your argument for “lacking moves” for Waluigi can also be applied to Bandana Dee if you look at the base of the character. I was pointing out that using “lacks moves” is an extremely weak argument and one that should be avoid when trying explain a character shouldn’t be included.
2) Toadette can easily be included as an alternate costume for Toad. Having Toad and Toadette be separate characters is a waste of a slot. Koopa isn’t a super bad choice but Waluigi has enough of a following and support base that a Koopa inclusion wouldn’t be well-received. If that translates to what the team wants depends but considering Waluigi has a better Smash pedigree than Koopa, I’m willing to bet Waluigi would be considered over Koopa Trooper.
3) In regards to Mario, DK/Yoshi/Wario are within the Mario umbrella in regards to spin offs. In Smash though, they are treated as separate franchises so using them as “they are Mario characters” isn’t applicable. They are considered separate universes in Smash and shouldn’t be included in the over all count for characters in the Mario franchise.

Easy fix: Just swap out Toad for Toadsworth, change the animations so he hits people with his cane and boom. The move is changed and Toad is free to become a fighter.

Also, they did change Pit's Final Smash in Smash 4, removing Palutena's image in the background, and then Palutena became a fighter, so something like that has happened before.
Palutena did serve as an element in his Final Smash but didn’t have any physical properties that affected gameplay. Her only reason was to be there to summon her army. She did not attack the player or give Pit a stat boost hence why I didn’t include her in my reasoning. Toad and Chrom, however, are featured with Robin and Peach/Daisy though and serve a particular set purpose rather than just being an image.

Even in Chrom’s case, he is part of a Final Smash which can be toggled off and is an Echo Fighter which, to some, is a less exalted version of a fighter.

I know I’m splitting hairs here and honestly, I’m perfectly fine if it’s Waluigi and Toad. I just feel it’s feasibly easier to add in Waluigi given he is an Assist atrophy asset with already moves that can be transitioned from being an assist to playable form whereas Toad requires removing and altering Peach (and Daisy is she returns) Neutral Special, making a Toadsworth model (and something for Daisy is she returns) and then come up with a toolkit for Toad.

1)I know Bandana Dee does have moves but your argument for “lacking moves” for Waluigi can also be applied to Bandana Dee if you look at the base of the character. I was pointing out that using “lacks moves” is an extremely weak argument and one that should be avoid when trying explain a character shouldn’t be included.
2) Toadette can easily be included as an alternate costume for Toad. Having Toad and Toadette be separate characters is a waste of a slot. Koopa isn’t a super bad choice but Waluigi has enough of a following and support base that a Koopa inclusion wouldn’t be well-received. If that translates to what the team wants depends but considering Waluigi has a better Smash pedigree than Koopa, I’m willing to bet Waluigi would be considered over Koopa Trooper.
3) In regards to Mario, DK/Yoshi/Wario are within the Mario umbrella in regards to spin offs. In Smash though, they are treated as separate franchises so using them as “they are Mario characters” isn’t applicable. They are considered separate universes in Smash and shouldn’t be included in the over all count for characters in the Mario franchise.

Palutena did serve as an element in his Final Smash but didn’t have any physical properties that affected gameplay. Her only reason was to be there to summon her army. She did not attack the player or give Pit a stat boost hence why I didn’t include her in my reasoning. Toad and Chrom, however, are featured with Robin and Peach/Daisy though and serve a particular set purpose rather than just being an image.

Even in Chrom’s case, he is part of a Final Smash which can be toggled off and is an Echo Fighter which, to some, is a less exalted version of a fighter.

I know I’m splitting hairs here and honestly, I’m perfectly fine if it’s Waluigi and Toad. I just feel it’s feasibly easier to add in Waluigi given he is an Assist atrophy asset with already moves that can be transitioned from being an assist to playable form whereas Toad requires removing and altering Peach (and Daisy is she returns) Neutral Special, making a Toadsworth model (and something for Daisy is she returns) and then come up with a toolkit for Toad.
Or, you know... They can leave Peach's moveset untouched and add a playable Toad without overthinking it. :p

But I agree that nothing should really stop Waluigi.

Last edited:
I meant those as examples. Waluigi will likely be excluded again though
Why would think that? He’s a shoo-in for next smash.

I don’t like the idea of his entrance being related to an assist trophy that is the stupidest thing I ever heard.

He’s no different than any other assist trophy being upgraded to playable status. -___-

I think the tennis outfit alt should be his default, like how wario's default is his warioware getup. And while you're at it, give him more alts that draw from mario spinoff games. It would differentiate him more from mario and luigi.

Last edited:
There are no shoe-in in Smash.
He’s definitely gonna be in the next smash and you know it. It’s inevitable.

I think the tennis outfit alt should be his default, like how wario's default is his warioware getup. And while you're at it, give him more alts that draw from mario spinoff games. It would differentiate him more from mario and luigi.
No his default should be classic and tennis outfit as an alt.

With a character that has such a history in the Smash series but is also a mainstay in the Mario spinoff games, you would think Waluigi would get his time to shine rather than be regulated to an Assist Trophy.
No I wouldn't. The most popular Mario spinoff mainstays are already in the game, why do we need waluigi?

He’s definitely gonna be in the next smash and you know it. It’s inevitable.
What makes you so sure?

Last edited:
No I wouldn't. The most popular Mario spinoff mainstays are already in the game
Except, you know, Waluigi, who feels like a wierd omission.

why do we need waluigi?
Why do we need anything?

No I wouldn't. The most popular Mario spinoff mainstays are already in the game

why do we need waluigi?
Why do we need anything?

EDIT. Wow, I don't know what happened and why message was posted three times. Sorry about that!

I don't think Waluigi is as popular than Mario, Luigi, Bowser, or any really any of the Mario characters that are already playable, because he's never been in a mainline Mario game. And yeah he's still decently well known, but when we already have a **** ton of Mario representation in smash, I don't think making European Luigi playable is worth the development time.

Last edited:
I don't think Waluigi is as popular than Mario, Luigi, Bowser, or any really any of the Mario characters that are already playable, because he's never been in a mainline Mario game. And yeah he's still decently well known, but when we already have a **** ton of Mario representation in smash, I don't think making European Luigi playable is worth the development time.
There's no such thing as a "mainline Mario game", and if there was, Mario Kart would be the mainline, not the platformers.

I have to ask you how Waluigi is more "European" than Luigi.

More seriously, the fact that Waluigi doesn't appear in "mainline" Mario games does not hinder his popularity. Most casual players play party and sports games, for the multiplayers aspect, and Waluigi is one of the main recognazible characters in those. I don't pretend that he's the most popular, but he is clearly one of them.

Finally, we have a "**** ton" of representation of other franchises as well, or other characters than, in my mind, are not a better investment of development time.

"European Luigi"
Lol, thanks for my new Waluigi nickname!

Last edited:
Top Bottom