• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's Time To Get FUNKY! Funky Kong for Smash thread

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
It's criminal that someone hasn't already made this thread yet, so I guess I have to stop being lazy and do it myself.

Funky Kong has been there helping out his brother/cousin/friend Donkey Kong and pals from the very beginning, providing transportation between levels, vehicles to help you reach new areas, support items like balloons and banana potions, and even just straight-up guns to blast your enemies away. This cool dude has appeared in over a dozen titles, several times as a playable character, and will soon be making his first playable appearance in a mainline DK title in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (with New Funky Mode). Despite always being on the sidelines until now, Funky Kong has been a fan favorite for a long time, and with his debut coinciding with the development of Smash Switch, now is the perfect time for him to join the battle!

Supporters:
Runic_SSB Runic_SSB

@GoldenYuiitusin
Lord-Zero Lord-Zero
A Distant Demon A Distant Demon
Diddy Kong Diddy Kong
Morbi Morbi
Pizza Robo Pizza Robo
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
Granite Countertop Granite Countertop
Super Nintendo Chalmers Super Nintendo Chalmers
smash puffle smash puffle
G-Guy G-Guy
@Pikablu Pikachu
Garo Garo
PsychoJosh PsychoJosh
ShrekItRalph ShrekItRalph
LoZ00 LoZ00
TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom
PSIguy89 PSIguy89
@Smashoperatingbuddy123
@Yoshi-Thomas
@SEGAGameBoy
@MrElectroG64
@Banzaifinn
R RetrogamerMax

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Support.

This Mario Kart Wii trio of simians needs to be a thing in Smash. :awesome:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would love him to be in.

But I would want Dixie and K Rool first.
And probably, also Cranky, Jr, and Pauline.

But then I'm all about the funko.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would accept this even if Funky becomes a downright clone of Donkey Kong. Just imagine him doing a version of the Spinning Kong on his surfboard. Too cool not to happen!

Morbi

Scavenger
Funky Kong is so cool, I wish I was as cool as Funky in the same way that I wish upon a shooting star that he is the Kong the developers decide to go with.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
I'd say Dixie has a higher chance and K. Rool is a lot more wanted, but I can see Funky being in Smash for sure since he is pretty relevant today. Smash could use a new Funky mode!

D

Deleted member

Funky Kong's appearance in Mario Kart Wii was apparently enough of a big deal that of all characters to make a trophy for in regards to it, Sakurai chose him.

The only other Mario Kart Wii trophies were of Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Toad. All of which are staples of the Mario Kart games and of the Mario franchise as a whole.
....and then Funky Kong.
Not DK, but Funky.

Just food for thought. :p

Any DKC representation in Smash is neat and I'd love to see Funky, even as a clone.

Using a surfboard to attack/move is an interesting mechanic and throws up some cool possibilities, especially in the air.

Another move which can be called upon is to use his "boot gun" from DK64 as a B move which can be charged. In the event Funky is a clone this would be a good replacement for DK's punch.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Funky is the main monkey, my dudes!

Imagine the possibilities...Surfboard hovering!
Fruit Guns! Maybe even Jet Barrels?

I am all in!

D

Deleted member

Decided to make a moveset for this bodacious dude so people could understand why he'd be so unique. The man just oozes with a personality unlike anyone we have in Smash, and fights with a freaking surfboard to boot! Anyone with more surfing knowledge than me can feel free to tell me the names of the tricks I'm talking about (tbh I just watched a couple surfing compilations and tried to adapt them), but my animation descriptions should be enough to get the general idea across.

Does tricks/taunts/jeers/poses for every move and animation, even the ones I don't specify. That's his thing, and anything else would compromise his character. Everything he does is a taunt.

Walk: Funky Kong holds his surfboard at his side with one hand. Basically a bro at the beach.

Run: Funky Kong leaps on his surfboard, hovering over the ground. Fast dash speed.

Jump: Funky gets some air on his board.

Double Jump: Funky jumps again on his surfboard, but it's not that high. Has a hovering descent.

Entry Animation: Gets out of a "FK" barrel (purple text).

Neutral Special: Funky's Fishing. Funky Kong lobs his fishing line in an arc in front of him. Command grab. Can be charged to send the line further. If the grab hits, Funky automatically reels in his line and smacks his opponent with style. If the line hits the ground with nobody grabbed, Funky can wait to reel it in to attempt to land the weak hitbox on the return (no grab this time though).

Side Special: Flame Runner.
Funky Kong gets on his signature bike from Mario Kart Wii, revving his engines before shooting forwards while performing a wheelie. Leaves a scorching trail of flames behind him.

Down Special: Surf's Up. Funky Kong creates a tidal wave about the size of DK and surfs on it. The wave crashes at the end, extending a bit beyond the stage it's limited to. Funky can leap off the wave at any time to trick and bail out of danger with a weak hitbox, but he goes into helpless afterwards. Big windbox, but Funky can't use it in the air. Instead, he simply tricks with a small water effect around him. Basically an aerial taunt with a tiny windox.

Up Special: Funky Barrel. Funky gets into his airplane-barrel hybrid and flies in arc, waving at anyone he passes by. Ejects, posing, right before the contraption explodes.

Final Smash: Boot Bazooka. Funky leaps into the air and shoots one round of shoe-shaped ammo at the ground at a negative 45 degree angle, triggering a big explosion. From DKC 64's ending, as Funky used it to defeat K. Rool.

Forward Smash: Funky performs two flips forward in succession, carrying his surfboard with his feet.

Down Smash: A whirlpool appears underneath Funky, but he's alright since he's jumping and floating on his surfboard, dabbing. The whirlpool is a multi hit that brings anyone it catches towards its center, which launches them upwards and into the finishing dab.

Up Smash: Funky does an angled one handed handstand with his other hand and feet on his surfboard, kicking it above him. From his DKC TF entry animation.

Jab: Punches with his non-surfboard hand, proceeding to swipe the surfboard before backhandedly sending it out to spin in front of him until he activates his finisher, where he boards his board, kicking it up slightly.

Dash Attack: Funky Kong does a sharp U-turn on his surfboard.

Forward Tilt: Funky gets on the ground with both hands, kicking his board in front of him.

Down Tilt: Funky puts one foot on one end of his board, launching the other side upwards like a seesaw. He then puts a hand over his sunglasses like a visor and looks skyward.

Up Tilt: Does a handstand on his surfboard, with his feet clapped together.

Neutral Air: Puts one hand on his surfboard while posing with the other and does a 360 degree spin.

Forward Air: With his surfboard diagonally down and in front of him, Funky rotates with it for a spin move.

Back Air: Brings his surfboard up and behind him, almost perpendicular to the ground, while stabilizing himself by grabbing its top.

Down Air: Balances himself with one finger on his surfboard below him, then spins it with said finger.

Up Air: Funky Kong, upside down, rides his board in an arc above him.

Grab: Uses his non-surfboard hand to grab.

Pummel: Hits opponents with his surfboard.

Forward Throw: Funky rides a small wave forward, battering the opponent with water.

Back Throw: Funky brings his opponent for a ride, backflipping to send them flying.

Up Throw: Funky Kong rapidly kicks/spins his surfboard with his feet above him, with his foe getting whacked by it repeatedly.

Down Throw: Pretends to surf in place on his opponent.

Btw throw in a Banana Bird as a taunt or victory animation. The others can all be stylish tricks or funny moves like jazz hands. Also the alternate colors change the surfboard's color and design too.

He has a shot at making the roster as DLC too, considering how much he's being pushed in the Switch version of Tropical Freeze. He's pretty infamous and recognizable from Mario Kart Wii alone, and his main competition, Dixie Kong and King K. Rool, have a very real chance at both making it into the base game. Dixie as a whip fighter of sorts with her hair chosen because of her popularity/history/relevancy on the Wii U, and K. Rool as a schizophrenic heavyweight chosen because of the Smash Ballot.

Support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
My 2nd most hoped for DK newcomer after Cranky. I could see Funky as a semi-clone of DK, using his surfboard for some attacks and maybe trading some of the power for better mobility. Having him be completely unique would be cool too, but I reckon Sakurai's first thought would be to make him a semi-clone because his build is pretty much identical to DK's.

D

Deleted member

My 2nd most hoped for DK newcomer after Cranky. I could see Funky as a semi-clone of DK, using his surfboard for some attacks and maybe trading some of the power for better mobility. Having him be completely unique would be cool too, but I reckon Sakurai's first thought would be to make him a semi-clone because his build is pretty much identical to DK's.
I don't think he'd share any moves with DK since DK is this hulking ape that uses brute force to get by. Funky on the other hand is all about his personality, which can't come through if he's not constantly performing tricks while spouting cool lingo. He has the perfect tool for that too in his surfboard, which would make for a really cool and interesting moveset on its own. It doesn't help that Funky is civilized for an ape, standing upright, a complete departure from DK who stays on all fours. Just performing brutish punches and kicks like DK, even if it's only a few, betrays his character to the point that I don't think Sakurai would even consider the idea since he is all about portraying characters accurately.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
@Pikablu Pikachu posted their moveset, so I guess I'll share the one that's been in my head for a while.

Jab: Undecided.

Dash Attack: DK's roll, but it goes on until you let go of the button, like in Funky Mode.

Forward Tilt: Lanky's Grape Shooter.

Good range, start-up and knockback, but has a long cooldown and doesn't hit opponents standing right in front of you. Can be angled up or down. Good zoning tool, can KO at high percents.

Up Tilt: Does a handstand with his surfboard.

Good start-up and knockback, decent cooldown. Good for juggling and set-ups, can KO at high percents.

Down Tilt: Lies down on his surfboard and slaps the opponent

Forward Smash: Swings his surfboard like in Mario Superstar Sluggers
Standard F-Smash.

Up Smash: Coconut Gun.

Fires it straight up into the air.

Down Smash: Peanut Popguns

Points two at the ground and overloads them.

Forward Throw: Stuffs the enemy into a barrel cannon and launches them. High knockback, can KO at high percents.

Back Throw: Throws the enemy behind him and snipes them mid-air with the Feather Bow, similar to Falco's.

Up Throw: Rides the opponent up a wave like a surfboard and then nosedives into the ground. High knockback, can KO at high percents.

Down Throw: Same as DK, but with the surfboard handstand for flair.

Neutral Aerial: Does a 720 spin on his surfboard. Hits in a perfect circle around him. Good range and decent knockback.

Forward Aerial: Corkscrew from Tropical Freeze.
Functions like Sonic and Falco's forward aerials.

Back Aerial: Does a sharp 360 turn on his surfboard, splashing water behind him. The surfboard does high knockback, and the water has great range and damage, but it has a long cooldown.

Up Aerial: This thing.
Similar to other bicycle kick up aerials.

Down Aerial: Surfboard Hover.
Hits multiple times. Similar to other drill kick down aerials, except with a wide horizontal range.

Neutral Special: Chunky's Pineapple Launcher

Arcs downward, can be charged to increase range. Great range, damage and KO potential, but has a long startup and cooldown.

Side Special: Turbo Ski from Donkey Kong Country 3.

Jets forward and hits enemies once. Faster than the Wario Bike, but only lasts for one second. Pretty good knockback, can KO at high percents.

Up Special: Funky Barrel.

Teleports, similar to Sheik and Zelda.

Down Special: Orange Grenade.

Functions similarly to Snake's, except you can only have one out at a time.

Final Smash: Boot Bazooka.

Literally kicks your ass, pretty self-explanatory.

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Super Nintendo Chalmers Super Nintendo Chalmers I feel that way, too. It's mainly because normals are a lot more restrictive, so you have to be creative in thinking of how you can turn them into moves. With specials, the only real restriction is that up special needs to be a recovery move, so you don't need to be creative about it. That's also why they're generally the first thing people think of when they make a moveset.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
This soothing simian is my 3rd/4th most wanted DK character, but I would still absolutley love it if he was included! (as long as we get K. Rool first...)

Support.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Ohh, you know it. I fully support Funky the main monkey getting in more than any other DK character.

The thing is, I would base his moveset almost entirely on the fruit weapons from DK64, with his DKCTF moves serving as a secondary inspiration. The way I picture Funky, he's almost always carrying a fruit bazooka around, similar to Nemesis in UMVC3, and he simply butts people with it in his smash attacks.

His Final Smash would involve him climbing into a plane and bombarding the stage with a thermonuclear watermelon that leaves a very fruity pink mushroom cloud.

Put me on the supporter list right away, and let's not let our recent divorce wear on us too badly. After all, he has lots of wisdom in this regard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm just picturing how Funky would work in Smash in my head, and it's just.....bodacious.

His default idle stance needs to be a smug, crossed-arms stance.

Just to show that he ain't got time for yo' ****.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Too glorious not to happen. I personally support Funky Kong, even though I'd like Dixie a bit more. However I'd totally be ok with Funky being present as a semi-clone or even a clone of DK.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Too glorious not to happen. I personally support Funky Kong, even though I'd like Dixie a bit more. However I'd totally be ok with Funky being present as a semi-clone or even a clone of DK.
He could be a clone, but that's not necessary. In my mind he'd be largely based on his DK64 incarnation, always carrying around a Pineapple Bazooka and other heavy ordnance fruits.

The main inspiration I have for him is Nemesis from UMVC3. He is always carrying around a bazooka which he uses both for melee and projectile attacks.

Last edited:

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
I think the more I look at Funky he's growing on me as a character just similar like Captain Toad. As a DKF I think it wouldn't hurt for DK to have three more characters. But FE got three newcomers in smash 4. Maybe the same similar thing got happen to DK doesn't matter DK needs more characters. I wouldn't be surprise if Sakurai put Funky in smash 5 to promote the Tropical Freeze Switch port. Still hope we get Dixie and K Rool they both deserves the slots.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I could see Funky being a last minute Semi Clone, come to think of it I should make a list of clones.

I support Funky as a clone maybe.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I don't think Sakurai would have included Funky initially, but I think there is a good chance that during development of this Smash Sakurai saw that a new Funky mode was being added to the Switch port of DKCTF, and felt including Funky as a last minute clone/semi clone of DK would be a good idea.

Yes, he could be a unique character, but I think it's more likely he would be a clone.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Sign me up mah dudes!!! I’ll gladly hop a flight in funkys fly by barrel

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I do not get the clone vibes from Funky.

His body shape may be similar, but his posture and demeanor are far from it

D

Deleted member

I do not get the clone vibes from Funky.

His body shape may be similar, but his posture and demeanor are far from it
This guy gets it.

Funky has a similar build, but a majority of DK's moves don't really fit his style.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Even tho I already completed DKC TF on my Wii U 2 times before, I cannot help myself but to play the easier Funky mode.

The character just is too cool for school.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's gonna be my first time playing Tropical Freeze, and I think I'll play with Funky the first time around as I heard the game can be brutal.

And no, Funky doesn't need to be a clone. But the way he's moving around in Tropical Freeze looking to similar to DK, that doesn't quite help him. And if he's gonna be in, it's because of Tropical Freeze.

Top Bottom