• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's time to catch air.....and some waves! 1080° and Wave Race for Smash!

What would you want to see in Smash?

• 1080°?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eh, Nintendo could one and/or the other and I wouldn't really mind...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

smashkirby

Smash Hero
As I had done before, I'd like to actually make TWO threads in the sense that they actually seem to essentially share the same universe, but I'll get into that later. So here it is, the Wave Race and 1080° thread for Smash!

First things first, I'll be covering the first half of this shared universe...

Introduction
Wave Race is a personal watercraft racing game made by Nintendo EAD and published by Nintendo. These games are fairly simple in the fact that the player controls a jet skier around a water track, and sometimes, the player must race through different weather conditions on a variety of different courses.​

Well, why would Wave Race need a character for Smash?
Well, I'm not saying they need a playable character from Wave Race. I'm just thinking it could be an interesting idea to explore. Also, before anyone starts telling me, "But no one from Wave Race has even been seen off of their vehicles!"

May I present Exhibit A...

That's right! Don't forget, Captain Falcon has never been seen out of his Blue Falcon vehicle (except on special occasions) prior to his appearance as a playable character in Smash 64, so who's to say that Wave Race could not have a character off their jet-ski? Don't forget, according to quite a multitude of hints and implications, in the world of Super Smash Bros., anything can happen.

Well, okay...But what would a Wave Race character even do?
Well, I'm glad you asked! I envision a Wave Race character to be somewhat a cross between (and bear with me on this) Captain Falcon and...Squirtle.

Now, I know it sounds strange, but I was going to say imagine Capt. Falcon with "water" properties instead of fire. Let me point out right now, that I do NOT think they should be a clone of Captain Falcon and borrow all his moves.

All I'm saying is that I think they should imitate the "fire" effect gimmick and replace it with water for Wave Race character. They could even use their jet-ski to ram into someone or even summon a small, medium, or large wave to attack their opponents.

Maybe their Final Smash could calling in the other Wave Racers to ride onto the stage and ram into characters or simply summon a colossal wave to sweep their opponents away. (Kind of a retooling of Corrin's FS in Smash 4).

Now, on to the second-half of this shared universe...

Introduction
1080° is a snowboard racing video game developed and published by Nintendo and the game essentially involves the player choosing a snowboarder and ski down large mountains, all the while using a combination of buttons to jump and/or perform high-flying tricks in mid-air.

Okay, now why would 1080° deserve a character in Smash?
As I've said earlier, I'm not saying they need a playable character from 1080°, but it would certainly be an interesting idea to explore. Again, before anyone starts telling me, "But no one from 1080° has done anything BUT snowboard..."

Here, I present Exhibit B...

To my knowledge, Fox McCloud has never been seen out of the Arwing PRIOR to Smash 64, so would 1080° really have much of an issue? Again, according to quite a multitude of hints and implications, in the world of Super Smash Bros., anything can happen.

Okay...well, just what would someone from 1080° even do as a playable character?
Well, it's good that you asked! Basically, I envision a 1080° character to be somewhat a cross between (and bear with me on this) Captain Falcon and the Ice Climbers.​

Again, I understand if it sounds strange, but I was going to say imagine Capt. Falcon with "ice" properties instead of fire. Once again, I'd like to point out right now, that I do NOT think they should be a clone of Captain Falcon and borrow all his moves.

All I'm saying is that I think they could imitate the "fire" effect gimmick and replace it with ice for a 1080° character. They could even use their snowboard to ram into others or even swing their snowboard into their opponents.

Their Final Smash could be summoning a colossal snow avalanche and freezing everyone on the stage, immobilizing them for a while.

In closing...
I know that neither of these series would a real chance to be in Smash, but when you think about it, Sakurai has said that he would like to add unique characters to Smash, so why not someone from Wave Race and/or 1080°?

NOTE: I'd like to ask any and all future supporters that they be specific on which series they support to get a rep, so I'll know the support group to put you under. Or if you support both, please say so, OK?

Wave Race's Raging Water Racers
smashkirby

GoodGrief741
Wonks
RosaPeach

1080°'s Super Snowboarders
smashkirby
GoodGrief741

Wave Race's Raging Water Racers AND 1080°'s Super Snowboarders
smashkirby
Yomi's Biggest Fan
lady_sky skipper
Manonymous
ninjahmos

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Would love a character from 1080° in Smash, I think an extreme sports based moveset would be dope. Hadn’t thought of a Wave Race rep, but hell, why not.

Fox has been outside his Arwing for Star Fox Adventures and Assault, so you might wanna edit that. Smash 64 still came before those, though.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
In the Smash roster thread, I predicted Ricky Winterborn would appear, as he's been in both Wave Race and 1080. He could have a lot of cool moveset, with jumping off a ramp with his jetski, or whacking someone with his snowboard.

I never created a thread, as--despite my prediction--I was never in to either game, so I couldn't get excited about making one. I'm glad you did, though.

I think there's a strong chance of Ricky (or someone) getting in. Didn't the creator recently say something about the series returning?

Last edited:

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
I want to see a Wave Race character in character smash I'am big Wave Race fan.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In the Smash roster thread, I predicted Ricky Winterborn would appear, as he's been in both Wave Race and 1080. He could have a lot of cool moveset, with jumping off a ramp with his jetski, or whacking someone with his snowboard.

I never created a thread, as--despite my prediction--I was never in to either game, so I couldn't get excited about making one. I'm glad you did, though.

I think there's a strong chance of Ricky (or someone) getting in. Didn't the creator recently say something about the series returning?
It is stated that the producer is interested in reviving Wave Race for the Switch.

If he’s serious, then I am looking forward to it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Would love a character from 1080° in Smash, I think an extreme sports based moveset would be dope. Hadn’t thought of a Wave Race rep, but hell, why not.

Fox has been outside his Arwing for Star Fox Adventures and Assault, so you might wanna edit that. Smash 64 still came before those, though.
Hello, there! I should mention that I was mostly referring to pre-Smash 64 in terms of Fox being in his Arwing, but I get what you're saying. I'll edited it to be specific on the whole subject, so don't worry.

Personally, I'd take either Ryota, Akari, Ricky, or Kensuke. Also, good to see you here!

I want to see a Wave Race character in character smash I'am big Wave Race fan.
Great to have you! You're on the support list!

It is stated that the producer is interested in reviving Wave Race for the Switch.

If he’s serious, then I am looking forward to it.
Not only that, but Nintendo's trademark to 1080° was recently renewed either just last year or the year before that. BTW, Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan , may I ask if you support either series to get a playable rep (or if you support both to get a rep)?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hey Smashkirby could you put me on as a supporter for both a Wave Racer and a 1080 snowboarder again? (And seeing as some of the characters were in both series it's pretty easy to support both.) Heck, I've just got 1080 Avalanche and am having fun with it.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
It would be super cool to have a character who fight with a Snowboard. I like the idea !
Also, I think if we get Ricky, he could have his jetskier as an Up-B. Down-B will create a platform he could use for his snowboard and jetskier. Also, his Side-B could be him riding on his snowboard and freeze opponents who get hitted. Add me on the support list for both please !

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey Smashkirby could you put me on as a supporter for both a Wave Racer and a 1080 snowboarder again? (And seeing as some of the characters were in both series it's pretty easy to support both.) Heck, I've just got 1080 Avalanche and am having fun with it.
It would be super cool to have a character who fight with a Snowboard. I like the idea !
Also, I think if we get Ricky, he could have his jetskier as an Up-B. Down-B will create a platform he could use for his snowboard and jetskier. Also, his Side-B could be him riding on his snowboard and freeze opponents who get hit. Add me on the support list for both please !
Alright, lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper and Manonymous Manonymous ! You're on the support list! Congrats to both of you!

Well, well, well... guess who just got a SPIRIT in Smash Ultimate...?:smirk:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, gang. It's been a while, huh? If you don't mind, I just wanted ask... considering how the trademarks for Wave Race and 1080 got renewed by Nintendo a while back, do you all think this is pointing to new games for both series?

CboyC95

Smash Apprentice
What does anyone think Ryota and Akari's complete moveset lists would be like?

CboyC95

Smash Apprentice
I have some names for Classic Mode routes. Ryota's would be "Surfin' Some Waves", and Akari's would be "Shreddin' the Slopes".

smashkirby

Smash Hero
What does anyone think Ryota and Akari's complete moveset lists would be like?
I'm still working out the kinks a bit, but I imagine Ryota's attacks to consist of water-based attacks (i.e. attacking with dolphin and other fish-like motions as attacks), with his FS consist of tossing his opponent into the water, where said opponent realizes they're in the middle of a Wave Race, and they end up getting run over by several racers (including Ryota himself).

As for Akari, I've imagined her being a bit more... 'forceful' in her style. Aside from using ice-based attacks, she'd shove opponents, shred over them with snowboard, and even whack opponents around with said snowboard. As for her FS, I imagine she'd summon a giant avalanche that would come and swallow up anyone unfortunate enough to get in the way, and freeze anyone happens to stand too close it.

I have some names for Classic Mode routes. Ryota's would be "Surfin' Some Waves", and Akari's would be "Shreddin' the Slopes".
Wow, those names are great! May I ask what their routes would consist of?

CboyC95

Smash Apprentice
Wow, those names are great! May I ask what their routes would consist of?
I imagine Ryota's route consists of fighting opponents that uses water based moves, i.e. Mario with FLUDD, Squirtle, Greninja, etc., and Akari's route involves fighting on stages with snow and/or fighting opponents that use snow based moves, i.e. Ice Climbers with freezing items.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I imagine Ryota's route consists of fighting opponents that uses water based moves, i.e. Mario with FLUDD, Squirtle, Greninja, etc., and Akari's route involves fighting on stages with snow and/or fighting opponents that use snow based moves, i.e. Ice Climbers with freezing items.
Actually, that's not a bad idea! Say, do you all think someone from Wave Race and/or 1080 has a shot at being one of the additional DLC characters past the Fighter's Pass? I doubt it, but Sakurai has done some crazy stuff before...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
There's no way, but that won't stop me from wanting Ryota Hayami.

I didn't realize there was a dual thread! Check my sig - I made a general Wave Race thread ages ago. Let's join forces.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
There's no way, but that won't stop me from wanting Ryota Hayami.

I didn't realize there was a dual thread! Check my sig - I made a general Wave Race thread ages ago. Let's join forces.
Same here! Him and/or his younger sister Akari! Pretty convenient that the Hayami siblings appear in Smash Ultimate as Spirits though, huh?

Also, we should totally join forces! I wonder if there's a way to merge the two threads... like, can a mod even DO that?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
So... what do you all think about Sakurai mentioning this during the Terry Bogard presentation? Personally, I was left smiling.

As someone who supports quite a lot of obscure characters such as the 1080/Wave Race group and Terry Bogard it brought a HUGE smile on my face too! :)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It just occurred to me, Wave Race doesn't have any music in Smash yet, right? What songs do you think they could add? Personally, I'm thinking Sun City's theme.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I voted for both, so count me in! I think they should add Ryota Hayami for Wave Race, and either Kensuke Kimachi or Ricky Winterborn for 1080°, with both a Wave Race stage and a 1080° stage, that has music from Wave Race 64, 1080° Snowboarding, and Wave Race: Blue Storm! Both originals and new remixes. I’d love to hear Smash remixes of Main Theme (Wave Race 64), Sunny Beach, Dolphin Park, Vacant Lives, Golden Forest, Grasp Power, and others. Also, I think we need both Wave Race and 1080° for Switch!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I voted for both, so count me in! I think they should add Ryota Hayami for Wave Race, and either Kensuke Kimachi or Ricky Winterborn for 1080°, with both a Wave Race stage and a 1080° stage, that has music from Wave Race 64, 1080° Snowboarding, and Wave Race: Blue Storm! Both originals and new remixes. I’d love to hear Smash remixes of Main Theme (Wave Race 64), Sunny Beach, Dolphin Park, Vacant Lives, Golden Forest, Grasp Power, and others. Also, I think we need both Wave Race and 1080° for Switch!
You're officially on the support list, ninjahmos ninjahmos ! Congrats!

If I may ask, how what stages do you think would work for Smash from both series?

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys. Can I ask you all something? If the next DLC character hailed from Wave Race AND 1080, what do you think about Nintendo using the guessing game on us again?

Like, EVERY Wave Race and 1080 character would be all on one 'spreadsheet' here.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hey, guys. Can I ask you all something? If the next DLC character hailed from Wave Race AND 1080, what do you think about Nintendo using the guessing game on us again?

Like, EVERY Wave Race and 1080 character would be all on one 'spreadsheet' here.
I'd react the same like I did with the ARMS character, be happy that Nintendo didn't forgot the series and be hyped as all get out on who it might be and hoping either Kensuke or Akari would get into Smash.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It could work, honestly better than ARMS, but I think the reaction would be pretty negative seeing how people didn't like it when ARMS did it and a character from these series is already playing at a disadvantage.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It could work, honestly better than ARMS, but I think the reaction would be pretty negative seeing how people didn't like it when ARMS did it and a character from these series is already playing at a disadvantage.
Guess you kind of have a point there.:lol: With how both of these series are pretty obscure in and of themselves, I feel like people would find it pretty funny that Nintendo would put in the effort for both series like this, and at the same time, be pretty ticked off because 'Hurrr, why obscure series get in Smash before DMC? Me quit Smash!'

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys! I forgot to add this in my last post, but look at what I came across!

There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Top Bottom