• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's the Platform Fighting genre, not the "Smash" genre

SM Sola

Smash Cadet
Platform fighter is definitely the "proper" genre title (but I may be biased)
That said, I expect the term Smash-like to be around for a good long while and personally don't think there's anything wrong with it - it pays homage to the unquestionable creator of the genre, and it's pretty descriptive to those familiar with any of the Smash games.

Think it's just going to be one of those things that sticks around until long after the root game takes a backseat, like Roguelikes and MetroidVanias.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
First person shooters were called "Doom Clones" all throughout the 90s until stuff like Quake/Half-Life happened and changed everyone's views of what FPS could truly be.
I suppose unless the same happens with "Platform fighters" they're gonna keep being called the "Smash genre" for a long time.
The same thing happens with the "Open World Urban-setting Sandbox Crime story" genre. They'll be called GTA clones forever and ever until one GTA clone actually comes around to give people a reason to shift perspective.

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
Smash was the very first game to do so though, and basically on its own created the genre.

Street Fighter was not the first fighting game and there were a number of different fighting games that developed alongside it.

Personally I think Smash is fitting because it covers more than JUST having platforms- It also covers the percentage system and style of fighters, however there are new 'platform fighters' coming out that do break somewhat break this trend

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Icon isn't just a platform fighter, though. Their videos makes it damn clear that it's an actual Smash clone.
Rivals of Aether is less derivative but still leans heavily on the creator's past work with SSB demakes and feels like a "what if every character in Smash had a ridiculous gimmick" more than it does its own game.

I'm sure that there are good examples of what makes a party fighter and/or 2D platform fighter out there but those two, at least, seem more like counter examples to your point.

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
Icon isn't just a platform fighter, though. Their videos makes it damn clear that it's an actual Smash clone.
Rivals of Aether is less derivative but still leans heavily on the creator's past work with SSB demakes and feels like a "what if every character in Smash had a ridiculous gimmick" more than it does its own game.

I'm sure that there are good examples of what makes a party fighter and/or 2D platform fighter out there but those two, at least, seem more like counter examples to your point.
Eh, Rivals is a lot different from Melee TBH.
Parrying / no grabs changes how neutral is played, and for the most part characters have completely different moves with only a few exceptions, and the 'gimmick' is generally just a theme that makes sure each character feels unique

ryuu seika

Smash Master
...the 'gimmick' is generally just a theme that makes sure each character feels unique
This character relies on abusing water portals, this character produces and manipulates smoke, this character assimilates and uses ice, this character manipulates the properties of circling orbs, this character stacks poison that grows and shrinks based on landing hits. Every character has not only their own moveset but their own game mechanics.

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
This character relies on abusing water portals, this character produces and manipulates smoke, this character assimilates and uses ice, this character manipulates the properties of circling orbs, this character stacks poison that grows and shrinks based on landing hits. Every character has not only their own moveset but their own game mechanics.
Ehhhhh.... I wouldn't call that a gimmick though. That and outside of just the kit of any individual rival, you have parry and completely different 'ledge' mechanics

Also:
this character manipulates the properties of circling orbs
triggered :^)

Top Bottom