• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Outer Heaven - Kept You Waiting Huh?! Snake Social Thread

Who are The Patriots?

• Zero, Ocelot, Big Boss, EVA, Sigint, and Para-Medic

• La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I would dare to say that Snake Eater 3D is the definitive edition of that game. While it has some framerate issue (similar to the ones on the PS2 version), the photo camo, crunch walking, more colourful visuals , stereoscopic 3D and having the map on the lower screen are awesome addition. Plus if you play it on a New 3DS you can use its small circle pad for aiming, which is a better than using the ABXY buttons (and I also think that it smoothes the framerate, but I can't confirm it).
Thanks for the info, I thought they would have to "dumb it down" to run on the handheld. I'll have to make some room on my memory to download it.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Heads up guys! There will be a Smash Bros Invitational at E3 this year, which mean there is most likely be Smash News for the new Smash Game.

Hopefully Snake will be reveal there. I'm not sure, so we will see.

PF9

Smash Lord
Count me in. Snake was one of my favorite characters from Brawl. He should come back as he was the very first third-party ever confirmed for a Smash game, and that to me, holds as much weight as being one of the original 12.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Heads up guys! There will be a Smash Bros Invitational at E3 this year, which mean there is most likely be Smash News for the new Smash Game.

Hopefully Snake will be reveal there. I'm not sure, so we will see.
It would be a pleasant surprise if he was revealed to return, which I guess is true to his character since. Leave it to the stealth character to not be seen coming.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know, now that Bayonetta has brought in realistic guns with realistic bullets, will is finally be appropriate for Snake to use his SOCOM?

Morbi

Scavenger
You know, now that Bayonetta has brought in realistic guns with realistic bullets, will is finally be appropriate for Snake to use his SOCOM?
I honestly would not call Bayonetta's guns "realistic." Definitely the closest we have gotten, but still. The bullets themselves are absolutely not realistic. The characters do not even flinch after getting shot dozens of times from guns attatched to her legs. I have a feeling that is "cartoon-y" enough that Sakurai did not have an aneurysm.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm all fine with guns, but if it ain't broke, why fix it? Snake already brings things to the table that no other fighter can.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm all fine with guns, but if it ain't broke, why fix it? Snake already brings things to the table that no other fighter can.
Well, it's just one move. Why not add it to his jab or f-tilt? The SOCOM is the closest thing he has to a signature weapon in a series that encourages not engaging most enemies.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
It's a shame we got the reveal and everything after has been so silent.
Really need more info so we can start better gauging things.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with Snake coming back or how much it's even possible for his return considering the drama between Konami and Kojima and how Konami has been treating the Metal Gear series in general.

If they do it right though, I would love to see Venom Snake's appearance being the default outfit (or at the very least an alt) due to relevancy, with Mother Base acting as his home stage.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with Snake coming back or how much it's even possible for his return considering the drama between Konami and Kojima and how Konami has been treating the Metal Gear series in general.
I've said this a few times before, but Smash can celebrate Konami as it once was as opposed to how it is now.

I'd also love for another iconic Konami character to join Snake, preferably Simon Belmont.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Celebrating the Metal Gear series, Konami's video game history, Solid Snake, and all other Snakes in the Metal Gear series does not equate to celebrating every decision top management of Konami is making nowadays.

There's a lot of holes in the logic contradictory to this. It's like saying buying Metal Gear Solid 1 on the PS4 PSN or playing your Xbox copy of Metal Gear Solid 2 is celebrating every decision top management of Konami is making nowadays.

All of that logic makes no sense.

If there's reasons that Snake wasn't in Smash 4, it is clearly that:
1. Kojima wasn't involved in any negotiations to cross-promote Metal Gear.
2. No one wants to be involved with awkward relations with Konami at that time.
3. Why would Sakurai and co. be dealing with a company that at the same time is sacking their friends when they can do business with companies that own characters they love that want their characters in Smash?

Times have changed though. Question is how much of a difference it makes.

Also, if we are getting Snake in Smash, it is Solid Snake first and foremost. If there's another "Snake" in Smash as an alt character, it is Big Boss/Naked Snake (from Metal Gear Solid 3/Peace Walker/Ground Zeroes).

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Long time no see brothers, it seems we're thrown back into the fray of battle once more. Im hoping as are all of us that snake makes his grand return. Of course we now have to hear this era's newest excuse for why he cant participate "konami is messed up, they wont work with anyone". Which is not true of course, bomberman for switch is a thing (and well supported) and konami likes money so negotiations are easily possible, and honestly i can see sakurai wanting some castlevania in this smash so getting snake shouldnt ever be out of the question. And with ice climbers almost certainly coming back, sakurai obviously cares about what the fans want (too an extent) so it would be a shame to not at least attempt to bring him back.

Whos to say though, if breath of the wild link is any indication, this smash bros could be in store for some big changes to move things forward by leaving a lot in the past. All we can do is wait and see for now, but hope is still alive friends. Love can bloom on the battlefield..

Remember these guys?

Twas a good day indeed, i still get notifications of this getting attention on twitter. Honored to have had kojima notice it too

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Long time no see brothers, it seems we're thrown back into the fray of battle once more. Im hoping as are all of us that snake makes his grand return. Of course we now have to hear this era's newest excuse for why he cant participate "konami is messed up, they wont work with anyone". Which is not true of course, bomberman for switch is a thing (and well supported) and konami likes money so negotiations are easily possible, and honestly i can see sakurai wanting some castlevania in this smash so getting snake shouldnt ever be out of the question. And with ice climbers almost certainly coming back, sakurai obviously cares about what the fans want (too an extent) so it would be a shame to not at least attempt to bring him back.

Whos to say though, if breath of the wild link is any indication, this smash bros could be in store for some big changes to move things forward by leaving a lot in the past. All we can do is wait and see for now, but hope is still alive friends. Love can bloom on the battlefield..

Twas a good day indeed, i still get notifications of this getting attention on twitter. Honored to have had kojima notice it too
The real problem is that nobody wants to work with THEM. I am sure they would love to have Snake in Smash Brothers and reap the benefits.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
The real problem is that nobody wants to work with THEM. I am sure they would love to have Snake in Smash Brothers and reap the benefits.
With Konami? Oh no my friend.

If there is someone who wants to work with Konami is Nintendo, not only they featured heavely Super Bomberman R in their Treehouse stream the January Switch Presentation, but they even got the license to produce games of some Hudsons' IP, like Momotaro Dendetsu.

Morbi

Scavenger
With Konami? Oh no my friend.

If there is someone who wants to work with Konami is Nintendo, not only they featured heavely Super Bomberman R in their Treehouse stream the January Switch Presentation, but they even got the license to produce games of some Hudsons' IP, like Momotaro Dendetsu.
In that case, why not just skip Snake and get their precious Bomberman?

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Well, we never know the real reason why Snake was cut. The latest quote that Snake was mentioned by Sakurai so far, was this.

Sakurai: Honestly, when we revealed Solid Snake for Brawl, I thought, “There’s no way we’ll be able to stage a bigger surprise than this.” But, as a creator, you just keep making more while trying to surprise and delight your audience as much as possible.

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/21/sakuraixnomuraparttwo/

He didn’t even say anything about why Snake was cut or anything bad happened at Konami at that time.

I’m still confused and wonder why he was cut in the first place.

Oh, here are some Metal Gear/Splatoon crossover pictures for your time to enjoy.:
Mod Edit: I put your pics in quotes so they wouldn’t be so huge-mongous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Because :4megaman: didn't stop :4ryu:, and neighter :4sonic: stopped :4bayonetta2:. Why they can't get both Bomberman and Snake, especially considering how the latter is a veteran (so he requires less work than an original character), and a very requested one to come back.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Hey guys, still holding out huh?

I notice a lot of you still use the old gif I made. Thought I'd give it an update since we're long past the last Smash.
Yes, Smash Switch is Smash 6, 3DS was 4 and Wii U was 5.
I also have a Discord server if you guys want to hang out. It's mainly for Rayman and Banjo but there's a special spot for Snake.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
For starters, Snake has already been in Smash Bros, so they not only do not have to come up with a moveset/gameplay theme, but also can reuse, at least to some degree, his assets from Brawl and adjusted instead of created from scratch. Heck, they can even just port over his stage and the music included without having to put any effort, solving the issue of a home stage, if they wanted to keep the workload light.

Then of course you have the fact that Metal Gear is a very popular franchise, more-so than Bomberman, and Snake is very popular due to that fact and his veteran status, so the demand for him would be higher. I'm certain Snake received tons of requests during the Smash Poll, and he's often still mentioned when talking about returning fighters.

I would also guess that Konami would rather promote Metal Gear, as it is an original series (Bomberman, on the other hand was an acquisition when they bought out Hudson) and just had a new (arguable) game they would like to promote.

Finallly, I think Snake has more going for him as a fighter. I've played many Bomberman games, and his abilities always seemed more suited for an Assist Trophy than a fighter. Sure, Sakurai could make up more moves, but he always came off as a one-trick-pony to me (don't me wrong, the games are massively fun).

Morbi

Scavenger
For starters, Snake has already been in Smash Bros, so they not only do not have to come up with a moveset/gameplay theme, but also can reuse, at least to some degree, his assets from Brawl and adjusted instead of created from scratch. Heck, they can even just port over his stage and the music included without having to put any effort, solving the issue of a home stage, if they wanted to keep the workload light.

Then of course you have the fact that Metal Gear is a very popular franchise, more-so than Bomberman, and Snake is very popular due to that fact and his veteran status, so the demand for him would be higher. I'm certain Snake received tons of requests during the Smash Poll, and he's often still mentioned when talking about returning fighters.

I would also guess that Konami would rather promote Metal Gear, as it is an original series (Bomberman, on the other hand was an acquisition when they bought out Hudson) and just had a new (arguable) game they would like to promote.

Finallly, I think Snake has more going for him as a fighter. I've played many Bomberman games, and his abilities always seemed more suited for an Assist Trophy than a fighter. Sure, Sakurai could make up more moves, but he always came off as a one-trick-pony to me (don't me wrong, the games are massively fun).
Trust me, I agree with you, I am just saying, if Nintendo's connection to Konami is Bomberman, I am not necessarily getting Snake vibes from that. Snake would obviously be more ideal on almost all fronts; however, I am not personally seeing how having Bomberman on the Switch means that Snake is coming back. Seems like a stretch.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Trust me, I agree with you, I am just saying, if Nintendo's connection to Konami is Bomberman, I am not necessarily getting Snake vibes from that. Snake would obviously be more ideal on almost all fronts; however, I am not personally seeing how having Bomberman on the Switch means that Snake is coming back. Seems like a stretch.
Makes sense to me. Making an unrelated Bomberman game on the Switch has no correlation to Snake's chances. I guess it's chalked up to optimism to see the two companies communicating.

My logic, in regards to Smash Bros, would be if Nintendo is going to talk to Konami about having any of their characters in the game, should they ever do so, it would make the most sense to pick the one they already have assests created for and know they have the demand for. Pretty much less risk and more reward. But you never know what goes on behind these businesses, so it's really anyone's guess if they even want a Konami character.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
So I've been avoiding this thread just because I don't think he's likely, but for you guys' sake, and for the sake of an interesting character I hope he does come, just not holding my breath.

Now for the reason I decided to turn up, there's a lot of newcomer discussion that have the classic issues of high violence and the dreaded 'guns'. I know Bayonetta is the current argument but I thought I'd check in here since I didn't get very into Brawl to see what you guys think was done to make Snake palettable? I know he didn't have guns except for the tranquiliser, but for the matter of other 'violent' things, didn't he have a sleeper hold?

Just trying to get more perspective.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So I've been avoiding this thread just because I don't think he's likely, but for you guys' sake, and for the sake of an interesting character I hope he does come, just not holding my breath.

Now for the reason I decided to turn up, there's a lot of newcomer discussion that have the classic issues of high violence and the dreaded 'guns'. I know Bayonetta is the current argument but I thought I'd check in here since I didn't get very into Brawl to see what you guys think was done to make Snake palettable? I know he didn't have guns except for the tranquiliser, but for the matter of other 'violent' things, didn't he have a sleeper hold?

Just trying to get more perspective.
He didn't had a tranquiliser, that was in PM, which also gave him a combat knife (and it doesn't have an age rating).

In Brawl, most of his moves were based on bombs and explosive, like granades, mines and C4. He didn't use any kind of gun.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
He didn't had a tranquiliser, that was in PM, which also gave him a combat knife (and it doesn't have an age rating).

In Brawl, most of his moves were based on bombs and explosive, like granades, mines and C4. He didn't use any kind of gun.
Ah, my bad, am I right about the sleeper hold?

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Did you know? Snake might have been planned for Smash 4, shown in this rare pic of the day featuring an MGS item, which was pulled from miiverse the minute it was uploaded:

SSBWolbachia.png

Oh, its not April 1st yet? Well i'm posting this before this place becomes Snakeboards :yeahboi:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Ah, my bad, am I right about the sleeper hold?
Yes, he had a sleeper hold, as it can be seen in his reveal trailer:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Y9ZDPrtbM

Speaking of ratings, one thing that I would like to point out is that Smash For had the same rating as Brawl in both Japan and Europe. When Sakurai talks about rating issues, he is referring to the japanese rating board, so people saying that Snake was cut in order to reach the 10+ rating in America don't know what are talking about.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Yes, he had a sleeper hold, as it can be seen in his reveal trailer:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Y9ZDPrtbM

Speaking of ratings, one thing that I would like to point out is that Smash For had the same rating as Brawl in both Japan and Europe. When Sakurai talks about rating issues, he is referring to the japanese rating board, so people saying that Snake was cut in order to reach the 10+ rating in America don't know what are talking about.
Yeah, but understanding how snake was able to skirt the ratings is useful in discussion of other potential characters. I don't believe he was cut for any other reason than Konami being in the middle of '**** video games and **** Kojima' mode, and Nintendo wasn't going to fight for a character that is presumably not as high a priority as most reps that made it.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Yeah, but understanding how snake was able to skirt the ratings is useful in discussion of other potential characters. I don't believe he was cut for any other reason than Konami being in the middle of '**** video games and **** Kojima' mode, and Nintendo wasn't going to fight for a character that is presumably not as high a priority as most reps that made it.
Oh absolutely. I just wanted to point out that because of the abundance of Snake hater who say "Now Nintendo wants to have Smash at E10+, so Snake will never come back!!!111!!!". Understanding how the rating system works (in particular Japan's CERO, since that is the one Sakurai follows) is important for saying which character might join in and who might not. For example I've seen people complaining about Pyra's outfit being too revealing for a E10+ game, when Xenoblade 2 had the same rating as Smash For in both Japan and Europe, so her design isn't really a big problem.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Snake in Smash Bros. Switch would be my wet dream.
#SakuraiPlease

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
The violence in Smash has always been a bloodless and more slapstick in nature, even with Snake participating. I really do not see how he, Bayonetta or any other character on their own can up the rating just be existing. And the fact that he was already in a Smash Bros game debunks any arguement against this fact.

As long as things don't drastically change, which they obviously won't, any character can be made to "fit" in without scaring away the children.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’ve been meaning to post my analysis of the whole Konami vs. Kojima thing because as much as we want to peg Konami as the main villain, and as much as they have easily become just that, I think it’s worth noting ALL the sides of this hexagonal cube of stories.

Also, I’m thinking of bringing back the daily updates. If y’all think that’s a good idea let me know. And if y’all want to contribute something to one of the individual days if/when I bring it back PM me. The daily updates are listed in the OP if anyone has bothered to read that mess in a while, and yeah, I’m updating it real soon.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I’ve been meaning to post my analysis of the whole Konami vs. Kojima thing because as much as we want to peg Konami as the main villain, and as much as they have easily become just that, I think it’s worth noting ALL the sides of this hexagonal cube of stories.
Oh definitely, Kojima must be a pain to publish for, but lets be real here everything they did after the release was pretty much spiteful.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Also, I’m thinking of bringing back the daily updates. If y’all think that’s a good idea let me know. And if y’all want to contribute something to one of the individual days if/when I bring it back PM me. The daily updates are listed in the OP if anyone has bothered to read that mess in a while, and yeah, I’m updating it real soon.
Yes, please. I enjoy cheering on Snake and would love to see more life in this thread. Any news is good news to keep the hype going.

Together, we will f-IGHT the discrimination. We small... but we the best.

We appreciate Snake. His Smash style was genius.

We loyal. I changed.... a lot.

Nintendo's decisions can too. Win, win, win, no matter what the heavily stacked odds.

The doors that closed and blocked off and made us lose all them codecs and that broken-ass up tilt and them mines, that chaingrab.... we rip the doors off, and the hinges off, and when the hinges ripped off, we put the hinges in the ****boy's hands.... we can put the hinges on the hands too, and get Snake in Smash Bros again.

....In other words, add me to the list of supporters.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Something Metal Gear worth noting.

Jordon Vogt-Roberts, Director of Kong Island and the upcoming MGS movie, had a video meeting with Kojima himself, claiming to be "scheming" with him. Also Kojima has a really cool cup.

Mostly wonder if this was a thing he did without Konami's permission, though it may just be a thing he could do thanks to Sony Pictures. I know the article doesn't say he talked with Kojima about the movie, but uh, I doubt he didn't, especially when he's dedicated to making the movie something Kojima would vision.

Hell, imagine if Sony lets Kojima gets credited in the movie's credits? That'd be nice, and abit funny since Konami won't do it in their games.

Last edited:

SneakyBox

Smash Rookie
I made this account just so I could leave a message here. It would be a dream come true if snake were to make it in smash 5. I’m glad I’m not alone on snake making a comeback.

Top Bottom