• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Outer Heaven - Kept You Waiting Huh?! Snake Social Thread

Who are The Patriots?

• Zero, Ocelot, Big Boss, EVA, Sigint, and Para-Medic

• La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I love Snake and I love Hideo Kojima and that is why I don't want Snake in Smash 5. The only way he could be added is if Nintendo makes a deal with Konami. Frankly, I would rather not have him then him be added without any input from Hideo Kojima.
Kojima has pretty much signaled that he liked having Snake in Brawl and he would’ve been more than happy to see him in For Wii U/3DS.

"I'm not working on that game, but I don't think it's likely [that Snake will return]. If Mr. Sakurai is watching this, hopefully we see Snake.”

- (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...y-to-Return-in-Super-Smash-Bros-4-Says-Kojima)

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
Kojima has pretty much signaled that he liked having Snake in Brawl and he would’ve been more than happy to see him in For Wii U/3DS.

"I'm not working on that game, but I don't think it's likely [that Snake will return]. If Mr. Sakurai is watching this, hopefully we see Snake.”

- (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...y-to-Return-in-Super-Smash-Bros-4-Says-Kojima)
That is encouraging but I would still feel a lot better if Kojima makes a positive comment about Snake in Smash during the Smash 5 speculation season. Otherwise it would just feel weird.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
That is encouraging but I would still feel a lot better if Kojima makes a positive comment about Snake in Smash during the Smash 5 speculation season. Otherwise it would just feel weird.
The quote in of itself does kinda sound defeated compared to Snake’s inclusion in Brawl where it was huge. I don’t know all the details but apparently Konami became very weird and pretty much isolated Kojima so I think that’s where it might come from.

I mean they prevented him from going to an event (forgot the name), they took his production studio off the Phantom Pain and he ended up leaving the company. I’d be curios if they’d also be spiteful to the point of keeping Snake away from good publicity

Frankly, if Konami wants to “recover face” so to speak, perhaps include him in Smash?

Maybe that’s just my wishful thinking.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Why would he be against his most beloved and popular character being in one of his friends games? A game as popular and revolutionary as smash at that. Just because he isn’t with Konami doesn’t mean he hates Snake. Metal Gear is still his baby. It’s just a matter of if Sakurai and Nintendo want to work with Konami.

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
Why would he be against his most beloved and popular character being in one of his friends games? A game as popular and revolutionary as smash at that. Just because he isn’t with Konami doesn’t mean he hates Snake. Metal Gear is still his baby. It’s just a matter of if Sakurai and Nintendo want to work with Konami.
I think there is a very good chance he would be against it. He would have no input at all on how Snake is developed for the game and he would likely not be credited in any way. Not to mention he wouldn't make a penny off of it.

However, that whole thought goes out the window if he makes a comment of support I just don't really expect him to.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think there is a very good chance he would be against it. He would have no input at all on how Snake is developed for the game and he would likely not be credited in any way. Not to mention he wouldn't make a penny off of it.

However, that whole thought goes out the window if he makes a comment of support I just don't really expect him to.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. If I were Kojima though I wouldn't be upset if he got in. I'd fully support it. That's just me and I can't speak for Sakurai or Kojima but I'd think they'd both be cool with it.

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. If I were Kojima though I wouldn't be upset if he got in. I'd fully support it. That's just me and I can't speak for Sakurai or Kojima but I'd think they'd both be cool with it.
Fair enough, honestly I hope you're right!

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
How y'all feel about your chances around here?
I don’t know, man. I’m not really looking for a relationship, but I’m sure smashboards is a fine place to be for that

Or did you mean Snake’s chances in Smash?

Yeah, I don’t know. Has anything really changed with Konami between 4 years ago and now?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
So, I remember this GameSpot Interview a few years ago where a GameSpot Representative asked a Nintendo Representative if Snake would returned in Smash 4. He responded that they have not announced Solid Snake, and the guy say "So a big question mark?" So, that's all that they talked about Snake.

Here is the link to the video, You have to skip to 6:50 to hear it.:
https://www.gamespot.com/videos/e3-2014-super-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds/2300-6419576/

I also remember that there was a Smash Direct where the guy mentioned Snake and his codecs when he talked about Palutena's Guidance. Skip to 6:39 to hear it.:

We didn't see him in Smash 4, so maybe they keeping him for a surprise in Smash Bros. Switch?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, I remember this GameSpot Interview a few years ago where a GameSpot Representative asked a Nintendo Representative if Snake would returned in Smash 4. He responded that they have not announced Solid Snake, and the guy say "So a big question mark?" So, that's all that they talked about Snake.

Here is the link to the video, You have to skip to 6:50 to hear it.:
https://www.gamespot.com/videos/e3-2014-super-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds/2300-6419576/

I also remember that there was a Smash Direct where the guy mentioned Snake and his codecs when he talked about Palutena's Guidance. Skip to 6:39 to hear it.:

We didn't see him in Smash 4, so maybe they keeping him for a surprise in Smash Bros. Switch?
I dunno if I would say they were saving him for this game. It just seems like they had the intention to add him but were just not able to for unknown circumstances.

Hopefully, those hints do bode well for him this time though.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Putting Snake back in Smash would be fantastic. Hopefully, this could lead to Nintendo being Snake's new quasi-home as with Bayonetta now that Konami is intent on running Metal Gear into the ground.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
I dunno if I would say they were saving him for this game. It just seems like they had the intention to add him but were just not able to for unknown circumstances.

Hopefully, those hints do bode well for him this time though.
It's just weird that they mentioned him despite he didn't appear in the game. It's feel sad and not the same to not have him in Smash, but I still had hope despite what was going on at Konami. We can all hope that he will return to Smash one day. Hopefully, he won't keep us waiting forever.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
It's just weird that they mentioned him despite he didn't appear in the game. It's feel sad and not the same to not have him in Smash, but I still had hope despite what was going on at Konami. We can all hope that he will return to Smash one day. Hopefully, he won't keep us waiting forever.
It’s like just casually mentioning the elephant in the room.

“Snake was a thing—BUT ANYWAY MOVING ON—“

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
AFAIR the "Snake codecs" wording was only in the English version or at least not in the Japanese version. I doubt whatever circumstances precluded his return have changed so I'm pessimistic about his chances. If I had to speculate I would guess Sakurai just didn't want to do Snake without Kojima's involvement regardless of his 'blessing' but really who knows. It's too bad we never heard an official word about him unlike Ice Climbers (right?) but I suppose it's standard procedure to keep cross-promotional negotiations, particularly ones that didn't materialise or produce anything, under wraps.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Stay positive but don't get your hopes up folks, like I said before.

We got a shot. It might not be much, it might be a lot, and we can't know for sure.

But we can know is that our voices will be heard, and that if we behave civilized, we can at least garner respect as a support group like we did the past few years.

Honestly I was so proud of the "Snake for Smash 4" movement in general. Whereas other character hopeful communities devolved into toxicity, rudeness, vulgarity and spike, the Snake for Smash 4 movement here showed nothing but class.

Let's keep this positive streak of positivity going!!!!

MSF and Mother Base may have fallen, but that doesn't mean our positivity and hope has to fall!

Last edited:

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
If Snake makes it back in Smash will be complete. It was SSBB that got me into MGS in the first place.

If he does make it in I'd really like to see alts being different Snakes, like in Project M. Solid Snake, Big Boss, Venom Snake. Would be great.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I never done much participation in character support threads outside of K Rool years ago, but an enticing link with Snakes image plastered all over lead me here. Glad to see so many people still appreciate the legend! And with this new game, I need him more than ever. Wasn't surprised by his exclusion in 4, but very, very heartbroken. Honestly feels less like Smash Bros without him there. Also, bonus points for that amazing OP. Made me chuckle.

Just for the sake of conversation, what would you guys want for Snake if custom moves returned? I can easily picture moves inspired around other eras of MGS / snakes like Venom or BB, using Fultons as a recovery, the tank box from PW would be a hilarious attack that lets you launch a stun grenade, and maybe the octo camo would prove interesting in the mind game department. It would be nice if something similar to the tranquilizer from PM could work its way in. Imo that was a much more useful move than the rocket.

Oh, and either D Dog, Quiet, or a ride-able D Walker need to be an assist trophy. Bring back Gray Fox too!

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Once a Snake supporter, always a Snake supporter. Mac reporting in for duty. It's good to see the hope is still alive.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I was never too crazy about Snake, but I do want him back just so Raiden has a chance. Though, considering Snake only got in as a favor to Kojima and Kojima isn't in Konami anymore, I think it's more likely that we'll get MoCap Norman Reedus with Snake's moveset.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Remember these guys?

So, anyway, I know this is old news, so apparently, Konami is thinking about bringing more games to Switch. Maybe we could see the possibility of Metal Gear games for the Switch.

https://nintendoeverything.com/kona...tlevania-interest-many-ideas-for-bomberman-r/

Add me too.
Thats interesting.
If Konami were sincere with their retweet what happened on Snakes chances of returning for Smash 4?
I suppose that type of thing is down to the social media manager, to make retweets and such.

Maybe they did it for an Aprils Fools joke. lol

Lets do a Twitter hashtag thing.

#Snake4Smash5 ?

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Thats interesting.
If Konami were sincere with their retweet what happened on Snakes chances of returning for Smash 4?
I suppose that type of thing is down to the social media manager, to make retweets and such.

#Snake4Smash5 ?
It's hard to say since we never found out why he was excluded. For all we know, Nintendo could have never even bothered contacting Konami. They probably were sincere, but no negotiations about Snake were held for some reason.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Count me in! Never should’ve been cut... I’m not sure what all this drama is going on behind the scenes, but apparently Sakurai never even asked to include him in Smash 4? What’s that about? Either way, he fits perfectly, especially now that we have so many 3rd party characters (which are hopefully coming back as well).

Also... I wish they would just give Snake a gun. It feels like it’s not being true to his character otherwise. How is C4 better than a realistic gun I ask you?

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Also... I wish they would just give Snake a gun. It feels like it’s not being true to his character otherwise. How is C4 better than a realistic gun I ask you?
Ratings board concern thing probably, assuming they find realistic guns more objectionable due to children getting their hands on them more easily than C4 (I mean if they do you're already in recklessly irresponsible territory but there you go). In an ideal world I wish such limitations didn't exist so any representation could be used to its fullest but the fighter they came up with was still a lot of fun. He would be more fun with a tranq gun but I'll take what I can get.

Makes me sad that we'll probably never get Doomguy though. I can dream.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Thats interesting.

#Snake4Smash5 ?
One thing to note about it is that it refers to the Smash Ballot. Sakurai made it clear in an interview that he wanted to add NEW characters as DLC instead of veterans after the fan favourite :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy:. He even said that he choosed Lucas as the "Brawl rep" and Roy as the "Melee rep".

But at the very least I hope that the ballor proved Sakurai how much people love Snake in Smash.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Ratings board concern thing probably, assuming they find realistic guns more objectionable due to children getting their hands on them more easily than C4 (I mean if they do you're already in recklessly irresponsible territory but there you go). In an ideal world I wish such limitations didn't exist so any representation could be used to its fullest but the fighter they came up with was still a lot of fun. He would be more fun with a tranq gun but I'll take what I can get.

Makes me sad that we'll probably never get Doomguy though. I can dream.
I think this is the reason, why he doesn't have guns in the game. This is what he had say about guns when he talk about Snake joining Brawl.:

Also, we could incorporate heavy weapons like bombs and rocket launchers as jokes, but things like knives, automatic weapons, and realistic guns were off-limits.

Source: https://sourcegaming.info/2015/06/16/solid-snake-joins-the-brawl-translation/

Also, in the last game, Sakurai make the Ray Gun look not realistic when he post his post on Miiverse(RIP).

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Honestly, the whole ratings system is so inconsistent that it's almost a joke sometimes. On one hand, you have something like New Super Mario Bros that features a, albeit mild, scene of Bowser having his flesh burn off in lava and the game gets the equivalent of a G rating, but include one firearm used in a completely bloodless game risks a higher age rating. Sure, a lava pit isn't exactly easy to find lying around, but if kids are so inclined to emulate violence in games that merely including guns means they will be more likely to shoot each other, then where's the worry of kids cutting each other with kitchen knives pretending to have swords or broken limbs from swinging around a baseball bat? If you ask me, violence ratings should be more focused on the context, graphic nature, and realism over what weapon is used. If the end result of violence is characters bouncing away in a cartoonish nature, then firearms are really no worse than any other weapon.

With taht said, I am more than satisfied with Sakurai's work around with Snake. Honestly, I'd be more upset if they changed his moveset to include a gun now since Snake is so much fun with his explosives.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m honestly surprised that, with how many ports we’ve been getting, Konami has yet to port ANY of the Metal Gear games over. I’d kill to have TPP on the go tbh. Same with the rest of the series too, though.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Same here. I would love to have any of the Solid games on Switch. I know Snake Eater is on the 3DS, but I don't know how held back it is by the system. A Switch version would be so sweet.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I’m back to lend my support - no longer dwelling in The Sorrow.

I am of the mindset that Smash Switch will be using many of the aspects of Wii U/3DS and building off of that and not being “entirely” a new game - like the jump from Splatoon to Splatoon 2.

Considering this, we had 7 DLC characters and additional stages added over the course of about a year to Wii U/3DS. From that time - we have had about the same time elapse from the DLC ending to Smash for Switch - which leads me to think we will have about 8 or so new comers initially to this version. The CSS in Wii U has about that many spaces for characters if no cuts occur and they go with that display.

With the DLC we had three vets return (Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas) which cuts down in dev time because they can reuse assets from brawl and, if not, avoid having to plan an entire move set and figure out how to implement it. If we follow the DLC pattern I would guess Ice Climbers, Wolf And Snake would make their comebacks bc they are easier to get in bc if the foundation.

I think that there is a relatively good chance Konami will have Bomberman blast his way in Smash Switch - from that, they would pull Snake back in.

My only fear is that Kojima/Konami thing is a bit taboo. If Sakurai is actually friends with Kojima on a personal level, I doubt he would want to put Snake in the game without Kojimas blessing. Who knows, though, Kojima could be fully supportive of it - like he seemed to be in the interview before 3DS/Wii U so then that decision depends on Konami who are trying to come back into the fold with Bomberman, Survive and even Castlevania the Anime to some extent.

At E3 my hope is that Bomberman is one of the “big hype new 3rd party announcements” and we see snake in that announcement too (in some form.) If this happens, I would imagine that Simon Belmont would make his debut as part of the follow up DLC.

(Love how cloud ruined the whole Nintendo thing and then Bayo threw a wrench into the “doesn’t fit/M rated” argument)

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Same here. I would love to have any of the Solid games on Switch. I know Snake Eater is on the 3DS, but I don't know how held back it is by the system. A Switch version would be so sweet.
I would dare to say that Snake Eater 3D is the definitive edition of that game. While it has some framerate issue (similar to the ones on the PS2 version), the photo camo, crunch walking, more colourful visuals , stereoscopic 3D and having the map on the lower screen are awesome addition. Plus if you play it on a New 3DS you can use its small circle pad for aiming, which is a better than using the ABXY buttons (and I also think that it smoothes the framerate, but I can't confirm it).

I’m back to lend my support - no longer dwelling in The Sorrow.

I am of the mindset that Smash Switch will be using many of the aspects of Wii U/3DS and building off of that and not being “entirely” a new game - like the jump from Splatoon to Splatoon 2.

Considering this, we had 7 DLC characters and additional stages added over the course of about a year to Wii U/3DS. From that time - we have had about the same time elapse from the DLC ending to Smash for Switch - which leads me to think we will have about 8 or so new comers initially to this version. The CSS in Wii U has about that many spaces for characters if no cuts occur and they go with that display.

With the DLC we had three vets return (Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas) which cuts down in dev time because they can reuse assets from brawl and, if not, avoid having to plan an entire move set and figure out how to implement it. If we follow the DLC pattern I would guess Ice Climbers, Wolf And Snake would make their comebacks bc they are easier to get in bc if the foundation.

I think that there is a relatively good chance Konami will have Bomberman blast his way in Smash Switch - from that, they would pull Snake back in.

My only fear is that Kojima/Konami thing is a bit taboo. If Sakurai is actually friends with Kojima on a personal level, I doubt he would want to put Snake in the game without Kojimas blessing. Who knows, though, Kojima could be fully supportive of it - like he seemed to be in the interview before 3DS/Wii U so then that decision depends on Konami who are trying to come back into the fold with Bomberman, Survive and even Castlevania the Anime to some extent.

At E3 my hope is that Bomberman is one of the “big hype new 3rd party announcements” and we see snake in that announcement too (in some form.) If this happens, I would imagine that Simon Belmont would make his debut as part of the follow up DLC.

(Love how cloud ruined the whole Nintendo thing and then Bayo threw a wrench into the “doesn’t fit/M rated” argument)
I fully agree.

But I think that Kojima has no problem with Snake in Smash. Sonic was considered for Melee because Yuji Naka asked Sakurai to, but the blue hedgehog was added in Brawl and Smash For, while Naka left SEGA back in 2006, so he couldn't assist the creation of the character in Smash.
Plus Kojima still loves Metal Gear. He still retweets fan arts and cosplayers. Also if there is someone who can show respect for his series after that pachinko and Survive, that man is Sakurai, and he surely knows it.

Top Bottom