• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Outer Heaven - Kept You Waiting Huh?! Snake Social Thread

Who are The Patriots?

• Zero, Ocelot, Big Boss, EVA, Sigint, and Para-Medic

• La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
So I want to bring up a point that was heavily speculated back in the Sm4sh days in the old thread. If Snake did make it back in which voice actor would they use for him? Keifer Sutherland the voice of Snake in the MGSV games or David Hayter the Iconic voice of Snake?
Since it was Solid Snake that's in Smash and David Hayter is hugely known for voicing him, I say they are likely to reuse or re-record David Hayter. There will be some eyebrow raising if they used Keifer Sutherland. I don't mind Keifer, but David Hayter fits the iconic clone of Big Boss.

So with Konami apparently trying to reroot itself as a quality AAA game dev in the console community what do you guys think the chances of getting Metal Gear Rising 2 ReRevengeance is?
Unlikely, but not impossible. I cannot tell at this point how Metal Gear is going to be handled.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I have an uncle who is upset that Snake wasn't in SSB4 and would like to see him return.

So for his sake, yeah, let's see Snake back. I'd be cool with him.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
So with Konami apparently trying to reroot itself as a quality AAA game dev in the console community what do you guys think the chances of getting Metal Gear Rising 2 ReRevengeance is?
>Konami
>quality AAA game dev

Quite the oxymoron to put on a company who more or less went on full self-destruct mode a couple years back. But if the stars align in a certain way, they don't relegate it to pachinko or mobile, and they can get help from a team like Platinum for the project, then maybe there's just a sliver of a chance.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So I want to bring up a point that was heavily speculated back in the Sm4sh days in the old thread. If Snake did make it back in which voice actor would they use for him? Keifer Sutherland the voice of Snake in the MGSV games or David Hayter the Iconic voice of Snake?

Personally, seeing as how Kojima is gone as well as the backlash Keifer received from the MGS community, I think they'd bring back David. I think Keifer did fine but it's a testament to David that I was actually grateful that the MGSV games had fewer cutscenes. It just didn't make sense to me to hear someone else's voice coming out of Snake instead of, well, Snake's.

Plus, with David they could reuse some of the Brawl audio if need be and only bring him in for the characters not present in Brawl that still need codec calls.
I think they'd bring back Hayter if only because I doubt they'd want to have to shell out the amount Kiefer Sutherland would require for a game not even germane to the franchise.

Unless they've something personal against Hayter. Wasn't it said that Konami wanted him gone for a long time? If that's the case, and Kojima isn't there to act as buffer, I could see them just outsourcing to another VA who can emulate Kiefer's Snake. :/

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
In case anyone wants their heart torn out over what could've been, here's the entirety of the MGS3 Pachislot game. Spoiler alert, it's ****ing gorgeous in every sense of the word.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Hey guys, coloured that art of Snake from before.

He's looking more Solid, now.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Yup, these are real! And I think they look great! Really proud of Konami fo giving some of their franchises the spotlight and not just Metal Gear and PES. Snake costume when, though?

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655

Sure, the outfits look great. And a Snake one would be perfect for the style of Bomberman using elements of overhead stealth. But something's definitely not right here. Why is this company acting so nice and acknowledging fans of their IPs suddenly? After everything they've done recently, particularly in the past two years, what convinced them to change their tune? I mean after the poor treatment of their franchises, and their employees, then shifting all their focus on mobile with microtransactions galore, and now they think they can just walk in with a nostalgic title on a Nintendo console right in the moment when momentum for it is building in the process of future games to come out on the Nintendo---

Ooooooohhh I think I get it now. What they're clearly trying to do is to get on the Nintendo community's good side to convince them not to boycott the company. At least to a lesser extent. And then once they have that positive outlook, they'll get some deals going and get Snake in Smash. And because Konami has satisfied Switch owners with better, more consumer-friendly products, it ensures people to feel less guilty that part of their money for Smash would be shared with Konami. Very sneaky. And that kind of stealth only further hints at Snake sneaking his way in.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Sure, the outfits look great. And a Snake one would be perfect for the style of Bomberman using elements of overhead stealth. But something's definitely not right here. Why is this company acting so nice and acknowledging fans of their IPs suddenly? After everything they've done recently, particularly in the past two years, what convinced them to change their tune? I mean after the poor treatment of their franchises, and their employees, then shifting all their focus on mobile with microtransactions galore, and now they think they can just walk in with a nostalgic title on a Nintendo console right in the moment when momentum for it is building in the process of future games to come out on the Nintendo---

Ooooooohhh I think I get it now. What they're clearly trying to do is to get on the Nintendo community's good side to convince them not to boycott the company. At least to a lesser extent. And then once they have that positive outlook, they'll get some deals going and get Snake in Smash. And because Konami has satisfied Switch owners with better, more consumer-friendly products, it ensures people to feel less guilty that part of their money for Smash would be shared with Konami. Very sneaky. And that kind of stealth only further hints at Snake sneaking his way in.
This is straight up La Li Lu Le Lo level of conspiracy right here. You're one of The Patriots aren't you??

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177

So, many missed opportunities Nintendo. So MANY missed opportunities.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see Snake return as well. I really don't understand why he was removed in the first place.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'd like to see Snake return as well. I really don't understand why he was removed in the first place.
Because they didn't get permission to bring him back. Why they didn't get permission is unknown however.
Either Sakurai never approached Konami or Konami said no/made a bad deal for it.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Because they didn't get permission to bring him back. Why they didn't get permission is unknown however.
Either Sakurai never approached Konami or Konami said no/made a bad deal for it.

Or Nintendo doesn't benefit enough from having him in the game? I don't know he was a pretty popular character to just poof and he's gone in the blink of an eye.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

So, many missed opportunities Nintendo. So MANY missed opportunities.
Yeah, these are about as close as they can get to being legitimately believable. It's a damn shame that they might not ever come to fruition.

What do you guys think, you think we'll see any Smash news at E3 and if we do what do you think we'll see? I think it's definitely a possibility we see Smash since they want to establish they're going to have a good lineup into 2018 and if we do see it then there IS the possibility we see Snake, however slight it may be. I don't know if we'll see a whole new game or a 'Deluxe' Version of 4 but I think we'll get some news this year.

If the release of a 'Deluxe' Version leads into the end of 2018 I think they'll have quite a few new characters to show off between E3 and then meaning Snake would be even more possible. If it's a brand new game there's still a possibility that it'll still be released next year but I more see it as a Holiday 2019 game at that point which still isn't a bad sign for Snake. If it does turn out to be a 'Deluxe' version I think Snake will be just a bit more likely but we'll see.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Yeah, these are about as close as they can get to being legitimately believable. It's a damn shame that they might not ever come to fruition.

What do you guys think, you think we'll see any Smash news at E3 and if we do what do you think we'll see? I think it's definitely a possibility we see Smash since they want to establish they're going to have a good lineup into 2018 and if we do see it then there IS the possibility we see Snake, however slight it may be. I don't know if we'll see a whole new game or a 'Deluxe' Version of 4 but I think we'll get some news this year.

If the release of a 'Deluxe' Version leads into the end of 2018 I think they'll have quite a few new characters to show off between E3 and then meaning Snake would be even more possible. If it's a brand new game there's still a possibility that it'll still be released next year but I more see it as a Holiday 2019 game at that point which still isn't a bad sign for Snake. If it does turn out to be a 'Deluxe' version I think Snake will be just a bit more likely but we'll see.
I could see something like a Smash 4.5 happening. They clearly could have been working on it for at least since Smash DLC started. With that solid 3 year development if it launches in 2018, I think there is plenty of room for new faces to appear. Also the Switch could use some extra games to really reel in all the fans. Smash is perfect for that.

Oddball

Smash Lord
One thing I'd love to see if they brought Snake back is giving him his old Kyle Reese looking original outfit as an alt. Having a redish brown Snake Revenge outfit would be pretty cool too.

If he's going to hang with the Nintendo crew, he might s well break out the old Nintendo era suits.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I could see something like a Smash 4.5 happening. They clearly could have been working on it for at least since Smash DLC started. With that solid 3 year development if it launches in 2018, I think there is plenty of room for new faces to appear. Also the Switch could use some extra games to really reel in all the fans. Smash is perfect for that.
Yeah, I don't figure a new Smash game is int the works quite yet and maybe at all if they want to use the Wii U version as their base platform from now on. A 2018 release sounds the best but I'm not ruling out a release this year if the leaks are to be believed. Though I hope they're fake because one stated there would only be 2 new characters (Ice Climbers and Inkling).

One thing I'd love to see if they brought Snake back is giving him his old Kyle Reese looking original outfit as an alt. Having a redish brown Snake Revenge outfit would be pretty cool too.

If he's going to hang with the Nintendo crew, he might s well break out the old Nintendo era suits.
I'd be super down for that. I always liked the straight military style of the original Metal Gear and it would be cool to see how it would look in HD. I think everyone has tried to forget about Snake's Revenge though so that's rather unlikely.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Hi guys, I'm finally back after a long absence. But now I'm more ready than ever to support Snake's return!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Oh hell yes, a new snake thread. Hope he makes it back the next edition.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hi guys, I'm finally back after a long absence. But now I'm more ready than ever to support Snake's return!
Oh hell yes, a new snake thread. Hope he makes it back the next edition.
Welcome back old friends! I was wondering when the old Snake thread members would start showing up. Two down! Let's make this another hell of a ride!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Damn, guys, sorry I haven't been around much. I've been super sick. But I think I'm a lot better now SO!

E3 is coming up fast Diamond Dogs! What are you guys expectations, predictions, and wants?

Wants:

1. Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake in the Fox Engine
  2. Smash Switch - preferably with Snake
  3. Fire Emblem Switch
  4. GCN Virtual Console - with The Twin Snakes of course
  5. Pokemon Switch
Expectations:

1. None of my wants come true
  2. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is bashed by the internet
  3. More Wii U ports
  4. Bayonetta 3 (please?)
  5. Their big reveal is Metroid Prime Pinball 2: Echoes
Actual Predictions:

1. Smash Switch with Inklings and Spring Man shown off because promotion ( maybe Wolf, Inklings, and Snake as well)
  2. Metal Gear Survive totally reworked
  3. FF7 for Switch
  4. New Metroid
  5. All the stuff that is basically confirmed Mario + Rabbids, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Zelda DLC, etc.

Damn, guys, sorry I haven't been around much. I've been super sick. But I think I'm a lot better now SO!

E3 is coming up fast Diamond Dogs! What are you guys expectations, predictions, and wants?

Wants:

1. Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake in the Fox Engine
  2. Smash Switch - preferably with Snake
  3. Fire Emblem Switch
  4. GCN Virtual Console - with The Twin Snakes of course
  5. Pokemon Switch
Expectations:

1. None of my wants come true
  2. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is bashed by the internet
  3. More Wii U ports
  4. Bayonetta 3 (please?)
  5. Their big reveal is Metroid Prime Pinball 2: Echoes
Actual Predictions:

1. Smash Switch with Inklings and Spring Man shown off because promotion ( maybe Wolf, Inklings, and Snake as well)
  2. Metal Gear Survive totally reworked
  3. FF7 for Switch
  4. New Metroid
  5. All the stuff that is basically confirmed Mario + Rabbids, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Zelda DLC, etc.
Wants:
  1. Smash Switch
  2. New Donkey Kong Country with K. Rool as the main villain.
  3. New co-op Kirby game (like Return to Dream Land)
  4. Mainline Pokemon game for Switch
  5. New Jak & Daxter game (will most likely never happen, though...)
Expectations:
  1. Petition to cancel Mario + Rabbids gets started
  2. Bill eats Reggie's donuts again
  3. Virtual Console news
  4. None of my wants happen
  5. People get disappointed

Predictions:
  1. Superstar Saga DX confirmed.
  2. Pokken for Switch
  3. Retro's new game announced
  4. New Kirby 3DS gameplay trailer
  5. More Spider-Man and KH3 gameplay
I don't follow MG series news much so I don't know what I should expect regarding the series in E3....

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I have a hard time thinking about Snake's chances... First third-party charact to get in, also first to get out...
Of course, like every single veteran, I want him back, but I don't have my hopes too high for this one, nor for Ivysaur, Squirtle, Young Link and Pichu. Sad, his whole universe disappeared from Smash with him.
Hope you'll be back soldier.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I wonder if Metal Gear Survive will come to the switch

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wonder if Metal Gear Survive will come to the switch
If it does then I hope that it helps Snake's chances to make it into the next Smash. I don't care for the game in the slightest but I would personally buy it if it were on the Switch just to show that I want Metal Gear in my Switch.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I personally don't care about Metal Gear Survive at all. I'd be more interested if they port the older Metal Gear games for the PS4 but that won't happen. I'd be surprised if it did.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
The whole Snake in Smash situation is very weird (not whether to add him back or not - obv add him back), just the legal dynamics. If Konami is determined to keep the Metal Gear series going (albeit with zombies or whatever), why not allow Snake back in Smash? It's great promotion. Is it just out of spite towards Kojima? Or is it that Sakurai/Nintendo never actually tried to get him back? And if that's the case, will they now? Or if they did, will they try again? Will Konami's response be different? Will they allow a character like Bomberman, but not Snake? If Nintendo goes for one, will they also try for the other?

There are just too many questions right now...
I always assumed that Snake's inclusion in Brawl had more to do with Kojima himself than Konami in general. He requested it. So Snake's exclusion from Smash 4, as I read it, was a combination of Nintendo's deteriorating relationship with Konami, and Kojima slowly losing control over his franchise.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I always assumed that Snake's inclusion in Brawl had more to do with Kojima himself than Konami in general. He requested it. So Snake's exclusion from Smash 4, as I read it, was a combination of Nintendo's deteriorating relationship with Konami, and Kojima slowly losing control over his franchise.
But Nintendo's relationship with Konami didn't deteriorate. They reached out to make Bomberman R a thing, and lent them staff members in the process. That would've been at around the same time Smash was getting DLC. Konami itself might be crumbling, and its relationship with Kojima seems to be the stuff of terrible breakups, but with Nintendo it still appears to be rather strong.

And I for sure wouldn't doubt Snake would never have been included without Kojima, but once that bridge has already been built, it just seems obvious to keep using it. Though, of course, there are many unknowable extenuating circumstances here which prevented that from coming to fruition.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think the fact that we can have both megaman and ryu means we can have both bomberman and snake.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think the fact that we can have both megaman and ryu means we can have both bomberman and snake.
A Belmont, Bomberman, and Snake is the dream but two of the three has a decent chance of happening and, yes, the scales do tip towards Bomberman quite heavily. I've said this many times over but Bomberman or a Belmont aren't getting without Snake coming back as well. It'd be counterproductive almost to go out of your way to get a Konami character that isn't Snake and not get Snake along with them. Snake coming back on his own without either of the two is still possible but it's looking likely Bomberman will join in meaning Snake will most likely tag along.

The dream game for me is that we get an enhanced port with Newcomer Bomberman and Veteran Snake with Simon, or another Belmont, coming in as DLC. That's the dream and I'll never say never but damn. Let's just start with getting Snake back.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
It's disappointing that Snake had to get taken out. If he were to be put back into Smash, I'd like that a lot.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The Metal Gear franchise is now 30 years old.

Metal Gear was released on the MSX in Japan on July 13th 1987. As of now it is July 13th in Japan.

Happy 30th anniversary to the franchise and a pity the recent years have been marred by Konami's ****ery. May the years to come be more favourable whether it be Fox engine remakes of older titles for console or Snake's return to Smash Bros.

Top Bottom