• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Outer Heaven - Kept You Waiting Huh?! Snake Social Thread

Who are The Patriots?

• Zero, Ocelot, Big Boss, EVA, Sigint, and Para-Medic

• La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The whole Snake in Smash situation is very weird (not whether to add him back or not - obv add him back), just the legal dynamics. If Konami is determined to keep the Metal Gear series going (albeit with zombies or whatever), why not allow Snake back in Smash? It's great promotion. Is it just out of spite towards Kojima? Or is it that Sakurai/Nintendo never actually tried to get him back? And if that's the case, will they now? Or if they did, will they try again? Will Konami's response be different? Will they allow a character like Bomberman, but not Snake? If Nintendo goes for one, will they also try for the other?

There are just too many questions right now...

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The whole Snake in Smash situation is very weird (not whether to add him back or not - obv add him back), just the legal dynamics. If Konami is determined to keep the Metal Gear series going (albeit with zombies or whatever), why not allow Snake back in Smash? It's great promotion. Is it just out of spite towards Kojima? Or is it that Sakurai/Nintendo never actually tried to get him back? And if that's the case, will they now? Or if they did, will they try again? Will Konami's response be different? Will they allow a character like Bomberman, but not Snake? If Nintendo goes for one, will they also try for the other?

There are just too many questions right now...
Agreed. Snake is in the weirdest position any Smash character has been and ever will be in. With no real proof holding him out or warranting him in. He's the most speculative character ever.

Maybe, if the pieces fall just right though, we can get him back. Just maybe.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'm still in a dream...

While his situation is still a general unknown, the fact that Bomberman actually got to see the light of day again has me at least a tad bit more optimistic about things than before. That being said, I do think that we'll have to wait a good while. If the port is a thing, then I don't think we can expect him there, but years down the line when the next proper Smash game comes around, we can only hope that Konami's issues get sorted out by then.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Hey, don't forget about me.

He and Wolf are the only Smash vets I would love to see return.

However, I'm not gonna get my hopes up right now but I still 100% support him.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Konami is trying HARD to get on the good side of Nintendo fans. Maybe it's because of the bad publicity it got from the Kojima deal, maybe it's from the success of Super Bomberman R, or maybe it's because they are planning more things to come with Nintendo. Whatever it is, this is a good step in the right direction. They know that GameXplain is a big Nintendo News channel so giving them props for a video they made is really saying something. Anyway, I'm really proud of Konami for doing this. Good on them for trying to dig themselves out of the canyon of a grave they set up for themselves.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Guess you could say I kept this thread waiting. Once a Diamond Dog, still a Diamond Dog, and happy to support Snake's return, whenever that may be.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Huh, how am I not on the support list, my old raggedy support image is in the OP and everything.

I thought I was one of the more persistent Snake supporters...

Here's a snippet from something that probably won't ever get finished, maybe someone can find some use for it.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I mean why not. He was in brawl.

Plus he has dem head ribbons.

I need Snake for the ultimate :4ryu:vs:4bayonetta2:vs:snake:ribbon fight.
now just give him a red alt and lets rock n roll.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As far as music from Metal Gear is concerned, I'd love it if they could include music from Metal Gear Rising in Smash, assuming that Snake gets in again. Even if they can't use the vocals (take Snake Eater, for example), the songs would still work well on Smash stages - as an example, here's Metal Gear Rising's final boss theme:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
As far as music from Metal Gear is concerned, I'd love it if they could include music from Metal Gear Rising in Smash, assuming that Snake gets in again. Even if they can't use the vocals (take Snake Eater, for example), the songs would still work well on Smash stages - as an example, here's Metal Gear Rising's final boss theme:

We all know what Rising music should be in Smash if Snake return.
But honestly, every boss theme should be in Smash, they are all too good to not be in.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The new Announcement is live! And today is Top Tier Tuesday. Yep, Snake is way up there in the tiers of Brawl. He also was played with some top tier players, today featuring none other than Ally!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Hello! I'm not a Snake player, but just someone who doesn't like cuts like this. I dropped by to pledge support, and to share some thoughts, if I may.

I noticed some discussion about the mysteries surrounding Snake's removal, and would like to share my perspective. Those who know me from other threads will be aware of this, so feel free to skip this if you've seen it before. :laugh:

I'm of the belief that Smash 3DS/Wii U partly functioned as a field-test for an easily-portable scalable Smash game engine, and have felt this way since around the time I got to Smashboards. I've believed this since before we knew what the Switch was, because the way that the market's been going for many years strongly suggested that Nintendo's next machine would be a hybrid.

Other things that suggested an engine-test for something bigger for the then-future hybrid machine, to me, included the uncharacteristic content-lightness of Smash 3DS/Wii U, the way that certain features don't quite work correctly or are implemented in user-unfriendly ways which makes them feel unfinished (an issue with Smash Wii U alone), the way that an art-style change was implemented on some characters but not others (for example, Dedede got a complete overhaul to bring him into line with his home-games, but Link just got his Twilight Princess outfit brightened up even though that wasn't his most recent game), the fact that they added 8-Man Smash to Smash Wii U when eight-player local play is the Switch's gig (my thanks to @Zem-raj for noticing this one), and, well, I'll skip a few so as not to keep you guys here all day (there are a lot - I've been compiling a list of things I and others have noticed for the last two years), and just conlude with Bandai-Namco's April 2014 job-listing for a very large team for new game "Smash 6", which came up before Sakurai referred to Smash 3DS as "Smash 4" and Smash Wii U as "Smash 5" in an interview, and which has not yet amounted to anything.

If the "Smash 6" job-listing is indeed for the Switch Smash game, where Smash 3DS/Wii U's scalable engine will be doing that scaling on just one machine instead of two, docked or undocked, then my feeling is that Snake didn't make it this time not out of any issues with Konami, but because if Nintendo included him in Smash 3DS/Wii U, they'd be paying licensing fees to Konami for including Snake in three long-tail selling games in a relatively short span of time, instead of just one.

If I'm remembering stuff I read back in the day correctly, Snake, along with some other characters (Lucas, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers), had a placeholder folder in place when Smash 3DS shipped. This could've just been a holdover from bringing data forward from Brawl, though.

It's all just guesswork based on what I can see, though.

Maybe when VC comes around we'll actually get some of the MSX games like Japan got. I would kill to have the originals, Ghost Babel, and The Twin Snakes on the console.
Well, at the very least, it's easily possible to set up a Japanese Nintendo Account, purchase Japanese eShop credit (I believe Play-Asia allows you to do this online), and make use of the Japanese offerings on the Switch, if they return to the Japanese eShop but don't make it elsewhere.

As for The Twin Snakes, I assume that you saw this news on March 16th?

Denis Dyack says there's a chance Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes could hit Switch

Denis Dyack couldn't be anymore cut-and-dry with his response to a fan question. Someone on Twitter asked Mr. Dyack if there's any chance Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes could see re-release on the Switch. Dyack answered with a very simple "yes", so take that how you will!
Honestly, I would buy that. While most of the Metal Gear series simply isn't my sort of thing, for whatever reason I really liked Metal Gear Solid. I never picked up The Twin Snakes in its day, though.

Anyway, I'm hoping that we'll see Snake return to Smash before too long. Best of luck! :grin:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I had to share it there since I think it is the most appropriate place, but also it is of public benefit to share it en masse.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I think you guys might get a kick out of this - someone recreated the first stage of Metal Gear Solid in Lego Worlds;

I had to share it there since I think it is the most appropriate place, but also it is of public benefit to share it en masse.
That was fantastic. I had a really good laugh at quite a few of those Codec calls. :laugh:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hello! I'm not a Snake player, but just someone who doesn't like cuts like this. I dropped by to pledge support, and to share some thoughts, if I may.

I noticed some discussion about the mysteries surrounding Snake's removal, and would like to share my perspective. Those who know me from other threads will be aware of this, so feel free to skip this if you've seen it before. :laugh:

I'm of the belief that Smash 3DS/Wii U partly functioned as a field-test for an easily-portable scalable Smash game engine, and have felt this way since around the time I got to Smashboards. I've believed this since before we knew what the Switch was, because the way that the market's been going for many years strongly suggested that Nintendo's next machine would be a hybrid.

Other things that suggested an engine-test for something bigger for the then-future hybrid machine, to me, included the uncharacteristic content-lightness of Smash 3DS/Wii U, the way that certain features don't quite work correctly or are implemented in user-unfriendly ways which makes them feel unfinished (an issue with Smash Wii U alone), the way that an art-style change was implemented on some characters but not others (for example, Dedede got a complete overhaul to bring him into line with his home-games, but Link just got his Twilight Princess outfit brightened up even though that wasn't his most recent game), the fact that they added 8-Man Smash to Smash Wii U when eight-player local play is the Switch's gig (my thanks to @Zem-raj for noticing this one), and, well, I'll skip a few so as not to keep you guys here all day (there are a lot - I've been compiling a list of things I and others have noticed for the last two years), and just conlude with Bandai-Namco's April 2014 job-listing for a very large team for new game "Smash 6", which came up before Sakurai referred to Smash 3DS as "Smash 4" and Smash Wii U as "Smash 5" in an interview, and which has not yet amounted to anything.

If the "Smash 6" job-listing is indeed for the Switch Smash game, where Smash 3DS/Wii U's scalable engine will be doing that scaling on just one machine instead of two, docked or undocked, then my feeling is that Snake didn't make it this time not out of any issues with Konami, but because if Nintendo included him in Smash 3DS/Wii U, they'd be paying licensing fees to Konami for including Snake in three long-tail selling games in a relatively short span of time, instead of just one.

If I'm remembering stuff I read back in the day correctly, Snake, along with some other characters (Lucas, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers), had a placeholder folder in place when Smash 3DS shipped. This could've just been a holdover from bringing data forward from Brawl, though.

It's all just guesswork based on what I can see, though.
That's a very interesting view point. I don't really have anything to say about it other than it is possible. Of course, we'd also have to take the other 3rd party characters present in the game into account right?
Well, at the very least, it's easily possible to set up a Japanese Nintendo Account, purchase Japanese eShop credit (I believe Play-Asia allows you to do this online), and make use of the Japanese offerings on the Switch, if they return to the Japanese eShop but don't make it elsewhere.
That's very true but even still I would just like them to acknowledge their American and European fans. It is nice to know that we're not ever fully locked out of content now though. That's awesome.
As for The Twin Snakes, I assume that you saw this news on March 16th?

Honestly, I would buy that. Whilst most of the Metal Gear series simply isn't my sort of thing, for whatever reason I really liked Metal Gear Solid. I never picked up The Twin Snakes in its day, though.

Anyway, I'm hoping that we'll see Snake return to Smash before too long. Best of luck! :grin:
Yeah, I saw that and it's good to see that Dennis believes there is definitely a chance but even still he doesn't really have any power at Konami so, unless he's got insider information, he could just be keeping our hopes up.

But hell yeah I'd buy all of the Metal Gear games on the Switch in a heartbeat. You have no idea how long I've wanted a GOOD portable version of Metal Gear. Don't get me wrong I like Portable Ops, I love Peace Walker, and an a fan of MGS3D but imagine those 3 games on a Switch! Ooh that would way too amazing. Not to mention that it can also run MGSV with it's power. If that's on the go you would never see me without my Switch.

Yo! Those are awesome! Hey, Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei these are pretty much what you were looking for, right?

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Of course, we'd also have to take the other 3rd party characters present in the game into account right?
This is true, and I must admit I haven't thought much about that, outside of it possibly simply taking too long to deal with at the time. I don't think that any of us can deny that Smash 3DS/Wii U seem a bit rushed! :laugh:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That's a very interesting view point. I don't really have anything to say about it other than it is possible. Of course, we'd also have to take the other 3rd party characters present in the game into account right?
That's very true but even still I would just like them to acknowledge their American and European fans. It is nice to know that we're not ever fully locked out of content now though. That's awesome.

Yeah, I saw that and it's good to see that Dennis believes there is definitely a chance but even still he doesn't really have any power at Konami so, unless he's got insider information, he could just be keeping our hopes up.

But hell yeah I'd buy all of the Metal Gear games on the Switch in a heartbeat. You have no idea how long I've wanted a GOOD portable version of Metal Gear. Don't get me wrong I like Portable Ops, I love Peace Walker, and an a fan of MGS3D but imagine those 3 games on a Switch! Ooh that would way too amazing. Not to mention that it can also run MGSV with it's power. If that's on the go you would never see me without my Switch.

Yo! Those are awesome! Hey, Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei these are pretty much what you were looking for, right?
Yeah but specifically the ones I wrote.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah those are the ones.

Want me to do ones for the other newcomers/returning vets some time?
Hell yeah! That'd be awesome! Especially considering Cloud has joined since then. There's unlimited possibilities there.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Brand New Announcement! For this Wild Card Wednesday I decided to look at, and speculate about, the fate of Metal Gear Survive. The game has been dormant for a long, long time. So why?
To make this thread a fun, active, unique environment I'm going to do Regular updates on this post.
Announcements will range from actual articles to fan art and remixes.

ANNOUNCEMENT!

!
Wild Card Wednesday

Today's update will be about a lack of an update! In fact a lack of an update about this game:
Metal Gear Survive has become, quickly, the most hated game in the Metal Gear Franchise beating out Metal Gear NES and Snake's Revenge!

I wanna talk about why it's so despised and what could have happened to it.

The reasons for the game being despised are easy. No Kojima, coming out after Kojima left, reusing assets from MGSV's Afghanistan (and I'm talking a lot of assets), overall change of genre, no Snake, and none of the humor and charm of all the previous games.

So, what happened? We all know that when Metal Gear Survive was announced Konami was going through a rough patch (understatement). Fan and critics panned the game in just about every one of its flaws from day one. Konami could have decided to pull it back to reevaluate the game and study what the consumer wants. They could have decided the game needs time to sit out so as not to cause more backlash. They could have decided that another product needed to be out before Survival. Or they could have cancelled it outright.

What do you guys think? Is Metal Gear Survive gone?
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the game but I don't really see them outright cancelling it. If anything, they figured out that if they don't regain their loyal fans, the game won't sell at all. That's just what I think.
I was going to wait till someone else posted to post this but, well, for now, the thread is dead. That's why this update is so late. That's not really a problem though considering there has been no information about Smash Switch and thus only the most dedicated of the dedicated speculators are around right now, whom I salute. So, yeah another double post but I can't really do anything about it.

Also, I want y'all's opinion on these updates. Do you enjoy them? And should I keep doing them? Or should I wait till Speculation really ramps up to start these things? Let me know!

D

Deleted member

My gut tells me that Survive won't be cancelled despite the backlash, but I do find it a tad suspicious that Konami hasn't said much about it in a while. I guess only time will tell what happens. Personally, I'm not looking forward to it either.

As for the announcements, I'm currently thinking about waiting until speculation ramps up before posting more updates in Simon's thread myself. That being said, I personally thought the updates were a good idea and I enjoy reading what you have to say.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Also, I want y'all's opinion on these updates. Do you enjoy them? And should I keep doing them? Or should I wait till Speculation really ramps up to start these things? Let me know!
I think the updates are pretty cool. New and maybe even old time fans of stuff can learn somethin' new. Hey, you inspired this on another thread.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Come on comrad! Don't let you be played like a damn fiddle! This thread must stay alive!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Come on comrad! Don't let you be played like a damn fiddle! This thread must stay alive!
It'll always be alive but at the moment there just isn't enough Smash news in general to get people hyped for speculation. Even less so now that that last amiibo that got leaked is looking to be confirmed as Female Corrin instead of a new character. Which means the enhanced port we've been speculating about is very possible not to exist at all.

I do appreciate you guys though. Y'all are the most dedicated of the dedicated and when speculation gets ramped up I better see y'all in here everyday. Otherwise there just isn't enough news or anything to go around to warrant my announcement post that I was keeping up with thus I'm retiring it until we get 'Solid' Smash news. Until then we can still use the thread as a speculative location of what's to come though there really isn't much to speculate as it is right now. But yeah announcement/updates are on hold for a while.

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Pretty silly to see speculation so....disappointed over an amiibo. Between the Corrin amiibo use in January's Wooly World and April's Echoes, and the CPSIA listing last month (which I believe means they've already been assembled in February) , it seemed like these amiibo are intended to be revealed/released soon. If the fourth amiibo was a new character set to appear in Smash Switch, I wouldn't imagine they'd release (nor assemble) their amiibo before the game is out.

What made the amiibo reveal suspicious in the first place is how long it's taking them to reveal the final 3 amiibo, as if they were holding off on them for a Smash reveal. I think the likely scenario is they announce these 4 amiibo, talk about their functionality in upcoming games, and then, surprise, their use in SSB Switch when it releases late this year/next year.

Hopefully with :snake:

Also, kinda MGS related, Lego Kojima strikes again.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Once a Smash Brother always a Smash Brother! Who cares if Konami has become corrupt beyond repair? **** Konami! We don't need 'em. Snake's presence in Smash has always been important regardless of outside circumstances. The very character to mark as the first third party representative in Smash history. Preferably I would like to see the Metal Gear IP given to Kojima so that the evil Konami no longer has their grubby hands on it. We'll take care of those details at some point. But for now, Snake for Smash!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This makes me far more happy than it should.
The Snake. Snake! SNAKE! Reference at the very end is a super nice touch. Just goes to show that Lythero is awesome.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So I want to bring up a point that was heavily speculated back in the Sm4sh days in the old thread. If Snake did make it back in which voice actor would they use for him? Keifer Sutherland the voice of Snake in the MGSV games or David Hayter the Iconic voice of Snake?

Personally, seeing as how Kojima is gone as well as the backlash Keifer received from the MGS community, I think they'd bring back David. I think Keifer did fine but it's a testament to David that I was actually grateful that the MGSV games had fewer cutscenes. It just didn't make sense to me to hear someone else's voice coming out of Snake instead of, well, Snake's.

Plus, with David they could reuse some of the Brawl audio if need be and only bring him in for the characters not present in Brawl that still need codec calls.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I mean Keifer voiced Venom Snake, not Solid Snake, so I'd assume we'd get David Hayter back.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean Keifer voiced Venom Snake, not Solid Snake, so I'd assume we'd get David Hayter back.

Indeed.

We all though Kojima was leaving poor Hayter behind but it makes perfect sense in the end.

HE PLAYED US LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE!!!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So with Konami apparently trying to reroot itself as a quality AAA game dev in the console community what do you guys think the chances of getting Metal Gear Rising 2 ReRevengeance is?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just watched the newest Super Mario Heroes of the Stars. I never thought I would see Snake played like a damn fiddle by Jeff & Hal's gang. Shame he couldn't stay to help raid Bowser's Castle.

So with Konami apparently trying to reroot itself as a quality AAA game dev in the console community what do you guys think the chances of getting Metal Gear Rising ReRevengeance is?
Decent. For a spinoff, I can't see Konami messing up a remake of that or Platinum for that matter.

Top Bottom