• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's possible to directly edit Fighter.pac without the use of .gct codes. Does anyone know about this?

Extraception

Smash Rookie
Hey there, this is my first post. I've lurked around on Smashboards for a while now, and decided to make an account just because I've made a pretty big discovery on my own about a week ago that I don't think anyone else is talking about.

So, I've seen people saying that Fighter.pac in the \fighter folder isn't supported by the File Patch Code. This is incorrect. It does in fact support it, although the Fighter.pac in the \fighter folder isn't the real one. I'm guessing that it was most likely used as a reference when Brawl was being developed, or maybe they found it unnecessary to leave it as its own file, so they put it somewhere else, but forgot to remove the original file. The real Fighter.pac file is in common3.pac, located in the \system folder. If you open up common3.pac in BrawlBox or BrawlCrate, you'll find an ARC file called Fighter. This is where the real Fighter.pac is located.

You can extract this file and open it up in PSACompressor, change it up however you'd like, then insert it back into common3.pac. There's no need to use codes.

Download PSACompressor here.

In case you don't know what Fighter.pac is, this paragraph will explain. Fighter.pac is a special file used in Brawl to store gameplay mechanics, big and small. These gameplay mechanics range from things such as being able to cancel hitstun into an attack or air dodge, performing up smashes out of the jump squat animation, and even things as simple as the idle animation using the curry animation if you have Superspicy Curry. Fighter.pac also contains the dreaded gameplay mechanic of random tripping.

Directly editing Fighter.pac instead of injecting codes has many huge benefits. First of all, it allows you to hard-code gameplay elements, instead of having to use codes to, for example, implement dash dancing. Things like this can increase the stability of the game. More importantly, it's so much more faster and easier to do this rather than having to develop a lengthy code just to add one simple mechanic to the game.

By the way, I used this method to easily add a Smash Ultimate-like shield parry.

Maybe one day, Project M's codes could be converted to Fighter.pac's coding to cut the .gct file size in half?

Anyways, does anyone really know about this? I see nobody utilizing this method, despite this website mentioning common3.pac's Fighter.pac file.

Last edited:
Top Bottom