• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's only been over two weeks, but I feel like I've mostly played enough.

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but I feel that the Wii U version might last me longer. I'm still probably gonna play it, but it's only been over two weeks since it's out, and I'm already considering putting it down for a while.

It makes me question if getting the Wii U version is still worth it, if my hype has kinda waned this fast.

Anyone else feel the same?

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Oh boy, everyone is dropping out today.
What exactly is making you put the game down?

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
Oh boy, everyone is dropping out today.
What exactly is making you put the game down?
No clue, it's not because I get my *** handed to me online sometimes, it just feels like my hype has kinda waned.

I still like the game, I just am wondering if I should even put it down ( since I could very well never come back to it due to other games).

I wanna get my money's worth, ya know?

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
It's the same, I waited an agonizing few years, but now I feel like I've done everything I wanted to do in it. Once I unlocked the huge unlockables (ie characters and stages), there wasn't too much incentive to keep playing. Despite that, I'm determined to keep playing, but I'm fading fast, so I understand your pain

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
No clue, it's not because I get my *** handed to me online sometimes, it just feels like my hype has kinda waned.

I still like the game, I just am wondering if I should even put it down ( since I could very well never come back to it due to other games).

I wanna get my money's worth, ya know?
Well, I can't really tell you whether to get the Wii U version or not. Do you want it? Probably, because everyone does.

The forums are going to go absolutely crazy when the Wii U version nears release, so I'd say you'll get hyped up again anyway.

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
It's the same, I waited an agonizing few years, but now I feel like I've done everything I wanted to do in it. Once I unlocked the huge unlockables (ie characters and stages), there wasn't too much incentive to keep playing. Despite that, I'm determined to keep playing, but I'm fading fast, so I understand your pain
Yeah. I think they did a good job putting Smash on a handheld, but there should be more content.

Well, I can't really tell you whether to get the Wii U version or not. Do you want it? Probably, because everyone does.

The forums are going to go absolutely crazy when the Wii U version nears release, so I'd say you'll get hyped up again anyway.
The Wii U version was basically the reason I got my Wii U, so yeah.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Can't blame you. The 3DS version doesn't seem to be designed to be a game you dedicate yourself to. It's portable Smash; you play it on the go. When the big bro U releases I'm sure we'll be sated.

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
I probably would be happy playing for longer if they didn't give you so many characters at the start of the game. I know some may disagree with this, but I'm the type of player who likes starting with only like 3 characters, and unlocking the rest of the 49 characters. Maybe now that i seen everything, I'll restart the game and take my time unlocking everything as opposed to unlocking all characters and stages in one day

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
Can't blame you. The 3DS version doesn't seem to be designed to be a game you dedicate yourself to. It's portable Smash; you play it on the go. When the big bro U releases I'm sure we'll be sated.
Yeah, and I don't think Nintendo wanted us to be content with the 3DS version.

I mean, I've played for almost three weeks (about), that's a good amount of enjoyment from a game.

Here's hoping Sakurai and his team nail the Wii U version though.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I'll explain this phenomenon:

Omega/FinalDestination makes smash boring after a while. Only playing on this stage has made this version of Smash feel like such a flat and featureless game. I forget that there are stages with platforms, but the 3ds version has so few of them that honestly the stagelist kind of stinks. The Wii U version will be much better in this regard.

Even in Brawl, where I played FD 75% of the time, I played Delfino and BF and Yoshi's Island and Animal Crossing for the other 25%. Fun times. Smash 3ds, when played primarily in For Glory (understandably, as Nintendo's online friend-code-adding system sucks and can't be accessed while in the online menu of the game), can feel like 'less' of a Smash game than we're used to.

Honestly, if For Glory doesn't add neutral stages or at least Battlefield variants, then I won't be playing it very much in the future. It's just too boring and un-Smash-like after a while, and I completely understand being burned out on it. We need some other stages in the mix - not only for competitive balance, but also for the variety that Smash has to have to stay Smash-like.

A melee with only FD wouldn't be the great game it is today. Same goes for Brawl and P:M.

r/SmashConnect (link in my sig) helps alleviate this thankfully, and I'll start using it more and more as For Glory gets more and more stale.

Last edited:

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628
I am completely burnt out and got so sick of the lag and getting my ass handed to me I literally sold my 3ds sold the game reserved master chief collection and will be focusing on solely my Xbox one. It was fun nintendo but I must return to my true love Microsoft

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice

Omega/FinalDestination makes smash boring after a while. Only playing on this stage has made this version of Smash feel like such a flat and featureless game. I forget that there are stages with platforms, but the 3ds version has so few of them that honestly the stagelist kind of stinks. The Wii U version will be much better in this regard.

Even in Brawl, where I played FD 75% of the time, I played Delfino and BF and Yoshi's Island and Animal Crossing for the other 25%. Fun times. Smash 3ds, when played primarily in For Glory (understandably, as Nintendo's online friend-code-adding system sucks and can't be accessed while in the online menu of the game), can feel like 'less' of a Smash game than we're used to.

Honestly, if For Glory doesn't add neutral stages or at least Battlefield variants, then I won't be playing it very much in the future. It's just too boring and un-Smash-like after a while, and I completely understand being burned out on it. We need some other stages in the mix - not only for competitive balance, but also for the variety that Smash has to have to stay Smash-like.

A melee with only FD wouldn't be the great game it is today. Same goes for Brawl and P:M.

r/SmashConnect (link in my sig) helps alleviate this thankfully, and I'll start using it more and more as For Glory gets more and more stale.
I don't know, I find the For Glory mode to be great, since I do better in 1 vs 1 matches.

Still though, Nintendo's online infrastructure does need work. I mean, we can't even add random people we've fought in For Glory.

I am completely burnt out and got so sick of the lag and getting my *** handed to me I literally sold my 3ds sold the game reserved master chief collection and will be focusing on solely my Xbox one. It was fun nintendo but I must return to my true love Microsoft
Kinda off-topic, but how IS the Xbox One?

Minuy600

Smash Apprentice
I still like the game a lot, but I agree a bit, it gets a tiny little boring after a while. Oh well, it wasn't meant as the COMPLETE Smash-experience anyway. That's what the Wii U version is.

Last edited:

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
Yeah, and I don't think Nintendo wanted us to be content with the 3DS version.

I mean, I've played for almost three weeks (about), that's a good amount of enjoyment from a game.

Here's hoping Sakurai and his team nail the Wii U version though.
It seems like that's true, and that really sucks how it seems like it was design as just an appetizer. I've spent over 300 hours on New Leaf (I kid you not), and spent almost half that time on MH3U, but it seems like like this is extremely barebones. And as for online, the only mode that seems to not lag much is the 1v1 mode, and even that can be laggy at times. It's extremely annoying playing smash when you can't play the full experience without the lag killing you.

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
It seems like that's true, and that really sucks how it seems like it was design as just an appetizer. I've spent over 300 hours on New Leaf (I kid you not), and spent almost half that time on MH3U, but it seems like like this is extremely barebones. And as for online, the only mode that seems to not lag much is the 1v1 mode, and even that can be laggy at times. It's extremely annoying playing smash when you can't play the full experience without the lag killing you.
Nintendo pretty much banked on everyone buying the 3DS version. We all did, and while it's fun, the content is kinda lacking, and it's a bit...idk.

I feel like Smash 3DS will be remembered as a good game, but Smash Wii U will be played for far longer and will be the true Smash 4 experience.

Nintendo doesn't really care, tbh, considering they got our money.

Conda

I don't know, I find the For Glory mode to be great, since I do better in 1 vs 1 matches.
Not what I was talking about. I wasn't saying '1v1 may not be for you', I'm saying "For Glory makes 1v1 get boring as it's FD only - 1v1 is better when playing on the other legal stages too."

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
I agree with you, the 3DS version just feels like "Hey look, we made Smash. Now wait another month and a half for the actual game."
Its nice, but just feels really lackluster after awhile. (Especially considering I got all the characters in like 4 hours of gameplay.)

Spirst

I find the game to be pretty entertaining when playing it online with people you can actually speak with. If you're just playing single player modes or For Glory with randoms you can't ever communicate with, then yeah, it's going to get boring fast. The major appeal of Smash is the multiplayer component and the best multiplayer is the one in which you can talk to the other players.

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
I want to hear people rage and rage with them.

Chakra-X

Smash Cadet
I expect the Wii U version to be overall superior. Larger screen, better graphics, more stages, and more content.

What I do not understand is this "eh...' feeling about the 3DS version? Any new game you play nonstop eventually loses steam and you gotta come back to it after doing something else/playing another game. Otherwise, for a portable game that is $20 less than the console version, I think it's great. I am still trying to unlock all these custom moves, and equipment with abilities just for solo play. I can play it at work, at a friend's house, etc. I still have yet to complete all the challenges and I am pretty sure I am still missing the Gameboy Kirby stage.

So what honestly would make people feel like they got more of their money's worth for the 3DS version? Start with only 10 characters and have to work to unlock the rest? a few more stages? All fine stuff I would enjoy as well, but like, in my opinion I feel that's a shallow way to judge a fighting game? If the only thing stopping someone from enjoying the game to the fullest is unlockables and the single player experience, I don't think purchasing both the 3DS and Wii U versions work for your interests.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
I think the Wii U version will definitely feel like a whole new experience, definitely worth your purchase bruh.

For me, most of my friends don't have 3ds's so having ppl comeover & playing smash HD is already enough hype alone to buy the game. I just hope there is enough content/modes to keep me really busy, if not its not a big deal because I'll probably be playing online mostly but still. And this might seem like wishful thinking, but I am hoping for a few more newcharacters when the WiiU version comes out, but honestly I'm having my doubts.

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
I expect the Wii U version to be overall superior. Larger screen, better graphics, more stages, and more content.

What I do not understand is this "eh...' feeling about the 3DS version? Any new game you play nonstop eventually loses steam and you gotta come back to it after doing something else/playing another game. Otherwise, for a portable game that is $20 less than the console version, I think it's great. I am still trying to unlock all these custom moves, and equipment with abilities just for solo play. I can play it at work, at a friend's house, etc. I still have yet to complete all the challenges and I am pretty sure I am still missing the Gameboy Kirby stage.

So what honestly would make people feel like they got more of their money's worth for the 3DS version? Start with only 10 characters and have to work to unlock the rest? a few more stages? All fine stuff I would enjoy as well, but like, in my opinion I feel that's a shallow way to judge a fighting game? If the only thing stopping someone from enjoying the game to the fullest is unlockables and the single player experience, I don't think purchasing both the 3DS and Wii U versions work for your interests.
It's not that the 3DS version is "eh", it's the fact that it just feels like there isn't much reason to keep playing, especially if you don't have daily battles with friends online.

IMO, your money's worth is 10+ hours of enjoyment of a game. I'm at like 20 hours (I think), but my mindset isn't everyone's mindset. The portableness is nice, I guess, but 90% of my time in the game is spent in For Glory, which I can't do on a bus or whatever.

Chakra-X

Smash Cadet
It's not that the 3DS version is "eh", it's the fact that it just feels like there isn't much reason to keep playing, especially if you don't have daily battles with friends online.

IMO, your money's worth is 10+ hours of enjoyment of a game. I'm at like 20 hours (I think), but my mindset isn't everyone's mindset. The portableness is nice, I guess, but 90% of my time in the game is spent in For Glory, which I can't do on a bus or whatever.
Which is fair enough, playing "For Glory" mode will probably only be the Wii U version going forward since you can really only play it viably in your home. I expect to play the Wii U version more often since there will be little reason to use the 3DS version for online. I plan to have the 3DS version for when I am out with lunch at friends, on the train, or just away from the Wii U.

My thing is, since the Wii U version is not out yet, I figured people would still be playing so they can transfer over the content if they get the Wii U version.

Last edited:

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628

Still though, Nintendo's online infrastructure does need work. I mean, we can't even add random people we've fought in For Glory.

Kinda off-topic, but how IS the Xbox One?
Xbox one is just amazing, plain and simple lol I've owned every system outside of a ps4 and the Xbox one is my favorite one of all time and literally only one I own now I don't need any other systems, every time I was playing smash I was like damn I just wanna play halo or destiny lol

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I kind of agree with Rocco Botte on how it lacks a lot of presentation. Just doesn't feel the same, and I blame that. My enthusiasm for Brawl was much greater.

I'm still playing, though not constantly.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846

Can't play the Wii U version at all on a bus now can you?

The hype dying out will happen to the Wii U as well. Happens to all games. Its been about 2 weeks after release day, no one is going to be hype after all of us dedicated competitive players literally do nothing but play it for 2 weeks. Play with friend codes. The game we all know and love isn't about "wow this has so much single player content!" We found love in the multiplayer social aspect. Don't just play For Glory. Its fine for practice, but adding people from here and such is where is at in this game. Go into Twitch rooms and challenge people on stream.

If you're not having daily battles with friends online, thats only your fault for not doing it. Not the game's fault. Its literally just the Wii U version but on a 3DS sans GC controller.

Seems like today is the breaking point for A LOT of Smashers in playing Smash

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
I'll still play this version, if only because it is portable. But I agree, I'll probably play the Wii U version much more.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

I take it you're not a fan of most other fighting games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat (stage fatalities don't count), King of Fighters, or others then? As they all only HAVE one stage :p

Last edited:

Conda

I take it you're not a fan of most other fighting games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat (stage fatalities don't count), King of Fighters, or others then? As they all only HAVE one stage :p
Haha very funny :p
I'm a fan of them. Smash is a much different game. Starcraft also has different maps, while Chess only has one board. Poker doesn't even have a board! :p

Last edited:

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
I don't blame you. I feel like they purposely made this game extremely light on content just so that we'd buy the wiiU version. Considering the fact that the 3DS version according to sakurai was supposed to be more single player oriented, I was expecting a plethora of single player modes. I was gravely disappointed by what was put out. I somewhat understand the uninclusion of an adventure mode but they didn't even include event mode or something like that. By my third day of playing after unlocking mostly everything I was already scavenging through the menus saying to myself "so...what else is there to do?". Luckily online mode, while still laggy, is nowhere near as bad as it was in brawl, so that's still been keeping me on this game.

Though sometimes the lag just makes me wanna throw my 3DS at a wall.

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
I feel the same way, I'm hoping I'm just sick of playing alone and not Smash in general. Been feeling that way about a lot of game series as of late.

I wonder if playing 8 player Smash with my friends next month will turn things around...

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
You know I actually feel like this has been a common thing with nintendo lately. Some of their highly anticipated and hyped games from some of their bigger IPs have been a bit of a disappointment. The two that come to mind for me are Pokemon X/Y and Mario Kart 8. Pokemon X for me was a massive disappointment, it was extremely light on content and came nowhere near the expectations i had set previously. And Mario Kart 8 while a really high quality game, it just felt really light for some reason and was nowhere near becoming my favourite Mario Kart game. And now smash bros 3DS.

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
You know I actually feel like this has been a common thing with nintendo lately. Some of their highly anticipated and hyped games from some of their bigger IPs have been a bit of a disappointment. The two that come to mind for me are Pokemon X/Y and Mario Kart 8. Pokemon X for me was a massive disappointment, it was extremely light on content and came nowhere near the expectations i had set previously. And Mario Kart 8 while a really high quality game, it just felt really light for some reason and was nowhere near becoming my favourite Mario Kart game. And now smash bros 3DS.
This, so much this. Mario in particular has bored me to death lately with rehash after rehash. Even the much-adored (except by me) Super Mario 3D World felt little more than a revamp of the same tired formula we've gotten in the last five games.

Last edited:

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
No. I can hardly stop playing and I haven't even touched Smash Run yet and not done a lot of other little things. Pretty much only unlocked every character, beaten every character on lv 9 and played 600 fights.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Play with friends. Then, when you get bored of "serious matches," play with equipment. Customize and laugh at the ridiculousness of stat boosts. Then jump in to serious mode. Work on that technique you can't quite get every time. Rinse and repeat. For as great as the competitive side of Smash is, sometimes you need a ganondorf that runs faster than vanilla sonic to make you fall back in love with the game.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Of course you did. It's the 3DS version.
It has very few and limited single player modes who get repetitive the second time you play with them, and multiplayer sucks. What did you expect.
I consider the 3DS version just a simple way to have everything or almost everything already unlocked when the true Smash Bros. gets released on WiiU.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Well:
- Lackluster newcomers with no fan-favorites and tons of inane characters that are there to be 'unique' rather than iconic.
- Past stages being a franchise's only representation is embarrassing.
- Certain franchises being outright ignored.
- No online Smash Run.
- RNG sucks.

Yeah I can see why this game feels soulless, but judging by today's POTD, the Wii U version's not going to be any better.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
The problem with the 3ds version is that it lacks most of the console specific modes, the characters and stages unlock too fast, it has less stages than Brawl, and many of the stages are trash. Therefore, we get bored of the game because we are semi forced to play on Omega versions of stages because many of the stages are moving stages. Here's a little list of the ones I personally dislike. (opinion.)

- Mushroomy Kingdom (one of the worst stages from Brawl. Why the heck did it come back?)
- Paper Mario
- Golden Plains (cool concept, crappy design. 3D land is better for some reason. Maybe it's just because I hated NSMB2.)
- Magicant (AMAZING stage if it wasn't for the flying men.)
- The Pikmin stage from Brawl. I don't like the layout.
- Also, there aren't enough new stages. With too many classic ones, the game kind of has a been-there-done-that sort of feel. (I love Corneria and Jungle Japes though.)

Also, Classic and All-star start to get stale because of their short length, combined with how predictable they are. Maybe the reason some of us don't like it is because we've grown up. It's been almost 7 years since Brawl came out. Since then there have been many other games released with TONS of new experiences and content. Maybe only having classic, allstar, and a short adventure mode that we replay repeatedly isn't enough any more. Heck, I never play the single player modes in melee anymore unless it's the occasional adventure mode playthrough for nostalgia's sake.

That's why it's important for Smash Wii U to have a stable online. Because I'm not a kid anymore, doing the same thing over and over but with a different character gets boring fast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom