• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's official, stage hazards (at least in this build) can be TURNED OFF!!!!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
EDIT: FULL OFFICIAL NINTENDO CONFIRMATION HERE: https://clips.twitch.tv/EagerFitGaurJKanStyle

We saw it in the invitational, Frigate wasn't flipping, Great Plateau wasn't being destroyed and no Pokemon in Saffron City.

Nario confirms that they had the option here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4YOtEJBlBw

However, it seems that stage transitions aren't changing. Town and City still moved from one to the other and Prism Tower had plenty of different layouts. This could have been a choice not to turn hazards off but that's yet to be detrermined.
What this will do for stages like Castle Siege and Halberd is uncertain. But we can assume that at least a couple of extra stages could well become tournament legal based off this.

Last edited:

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
This is some pretty amazing news. There are some stages that would have been amazing to play in previous games, but were bogged down by the hazards so much, especially in the WiiU version. To have normal stages without hazards improves everything. And we could potentially see way more unique Tourney Legal stages.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Well hopefully this remains in the final game.

Normal stages, hazards off, Omega and Battlefield forms gives plenty of options for each stage.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Assuming this stays for the final game, this is legit one of the hypest things ever for this game. As far as competitive goes, tourney legal stages would likely multiply.

Of all the stages shown so far, which ones could you see becoming legal with this? I could definitely see Wily's Castle, Magicant, and Frigate Orpheon being legal because of this.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Assuming this stays for the final game, this is legit one of the hypest things ever for this game. As far as competitive goes, tourney legal stages would likely multiply.

Of all the stages shown so far, which ones could you see becoming legal with this? I could definitely see Wily's Castle, Magicant, and Frigate Orpheon being legal because of this.
Not sure about Frigate, there was still some jank with the right platform and especially the wall it had when lowered. Also not sure what would count as hazards for Wily's, I'd almost assume that without hazards it'd basically just be the Omega form. Magicant could also get really campy on that small bottom platform.

I think WarioWare is an obvious lock. Depending on how it treats the Pokemon stadiums and whether they're 'transitions' or 'hazards' they could return to legality. Some Arena Ferox variants would be legal but we don't know how that will work. Same with if Castle Seige is seen as transitioning via 'hazard' similar to how Frigate isn't bad except that it's method of transition is seen as the hazard.

I don't think it's confirmed yet but this would definitely bring back Halberd.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Not sure about Frigate, there was still some jank with the right platform and especially the wall it had when lowered. Also not sure what would count as hazards for Wily's, I'd almost assume that without hazards it'd basically just be the Omega form. Magicant could also get really campy on that small bottom platform.

I think WarioWare is an obvious lock. Depending on how it treats the Pokemon stadiums and whether they're 'transitions' or 'hazards' they could return to legality. Some Arena Ferox variants would be legal but we don't know how that will work. Same with if Castle Seige is seen as transitioning via 'hazard' similar to how Frigate isn't bad except that it's method of transition is seen as the hazard.

I don't think it's confirmed yet but this would definitely bring back Halberd.
WarioWare definitely seems like a contender, and I'd love that. Always loved that stage.

Ninpalk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ninpalk
3DS FC
2148-8192-8931
With the amount of potential with the option to toggle off hazards, here are some of the stages that likely we can play in a competitive rule set.

STARTERS

1. Final Destination
2. Battlefield
3. Smashville
4. Town & City
5. Yoshi's Story
6. Yoshi's Island Brawl
7. Lylat Cruise

COUNTERPICKS (If we still counterpick, despite choosing stage first)

1. Omega/Battlefield Stage forms (CP?)
2. Arena Ferox (CP?)
3. Prism Tower (CP?)
4. Dreamland 64 (CP?)
5. Pokemon Stadium (CP if Hazards on?)

HAZARDS OFF

1. Pokemon Stadium 2
2. Unova League
3. Warioware
4. Midgar
5. Frigate Orpheon
6. Wily Castle?
7. Halberd?
8. Brinstar?

With the 1v1 mode and about 20 potentially viable stage, and many character choices, here's hoping this game will be good competitively. Which stages would you like to see in competitive play, or removed from this list? Thoughts?

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Now officially confirmed by Nintendo Treehouse themselves, as well as that it will be in the full game as a toggle!

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
With the amount of potential with the option to toggle off hazards, here are some of the stages that likely we can play in a competitive rule set.

STARTERS

1. Final Destination
2. Battlefield
3. Smashville
4. Town & City
5. Yoshi's Story
6. Yoshi's Island Brawl
7. Lylat Cruise

COUNTERPICKS (If we still counterpick, despite choosing stage first)

1. Omega/Battlefield Stage forms (CP?)
2. Arena Ferox (CP?)
3. Prism Tower (CP?)
4. Dreamland 64 (CP?)
5. Pokemon Stadium (CP if Hazards on?)

HAZARDS OFF

1. Pokemon Stadium 2
2. Unova League
3. Warioware
4. Midgar
5. Frigate Orpheon
6. Wily Castle?
7. Halberd?
8. Brinstar?

With the 1v1 mode and about 20 potentially viable stage, and many character choices, here's hoping this game will be good competitively. Which stages would you like to see in competitive play, or removed from this list? Thoughts?
Magicant, Arena Ferox, Saffron City, Yoshi's Island (64), Hyrule Castle, Find Mii. I know most of these (if not all of them lol) likely won't be competitive but I'd love to see it.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Now officially confirmed by Nintendo Treehouse themselves, as well as that it will be in the full game as a toggle!
Every stage is now legal.

I presume the following:

Lylat stops tilting, Brinstar has no acid, Spear Pillar has no mirroring, flips, or lasers, Corneria has no lasers, Norfair has no lava, Wily's Castle has no Yellow Devil, Reset Bomb Forest doesn't change or have that one enemy, Skyworld's platforms don't break, and either Pokemon Stadium will have no transformations.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Every stage is now legal.

I presume the following:

Lylat stops tilting, Brinstar has no acid, Spear Pillar has no mirroring, flips, or lasers, Corneria has no lasers, Norfair has no lava, Wily's Castle has no Yellow Devil, Reset Bomb Forest doesn't change or have that one enemy, Skyworld's platforms don't break, and either Pokemon Stadium will have no transformations.
I never thought about it like that for Skyworld but if the Great Plateau wasn't breaking then that does make a lot of sense.

not sure if thats a good thing though lol...

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I never thought about it like that for Skyworld but if the Great Plateau wasn't breaking then that does make a lot of sense.

not sure if thats a good thing though lol...
You're not sure if the Skyward platforms not breaking is a good thing? Let me tell you, as an Ike player, these platforms not breaking literally SAVES LIVES.

Ike's Aether has a chance of destroying the ledge which is so desperately needed to survive. If you turn off the hazard, Ike can safely make it back because he cannot destroy his own highway to safety.

It's a much needed, and very welcome addition.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
You're not sure if the Skyward platforms not breaking is a good thing? Let me tell you, as an Ike player, these platforms not breaking literally SAVES LIVES.

Ike's Aether has a chance of destroying the ledge which is so desperately needed to survive. If you turn off the hazard, Ike can safely make it back because he cannot destroy his own highway to safety.

It's a much needed, and very welcome addition.
Ike is an edge case. On the other hand getting hard stuck under the stage isn't great.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
It should be noted that in some cases this hazard toggle might end up having the inverse effect of lowering the chances of stage legality.

Case in point: the new Great Plateau stage. The gimmick of the stage is that you can break the ceiling to turn it into a single platform stage. But if the stage hazard toggle is on, that just means you can't destroy the ceiling at all.

And how does the stage hazard toggle affect levels with moving platforms? How's Delfino and Umbra Clock Tower going to end up? (Well, the latter would just be a slightly worse Final Destination)

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
And how does the stage hazard toggle affect levels with moving platforms? How's Delfino and Umbra Clock Tower going to end up? (Well, the latter would just be a slightly worse Final Destination)
As I said in the OP, I don't know if the Prism Tower match during the invitational was using this feature or not, or if Town and City counts as a moving platform (and again, whether it was using the hazard off switch). Both were still moving around.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
It should be noted that in some cases this hazard toggle might end up having the inverse effect of lowering the chances of stage legality.

Case in point: the new Great Plateau stage. The gimmick of the stage is that you can break the ceiling to turn it into a single platform stage. But if the stage hazard toggle is on, that just means you can't destroy the ceiling at all.

Frigate Orpheon still has its moving platforms and some special features with hazards turned off. If you notice in the treehouse footage though, the stage just does not flip. So I assume things like Traveling Stages, stuff like Great Plateau, will be relatively unchanged.

I think that they classify stage hazards, as something that can potentially damage or kill you, and those are being turned off.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
stuff like Great Plateau, will be relatively unchanged.
It's not, the stage did not break at all during the invitational. You're right about travelling stages (as far as evidence so far shows) though.

Pretty much yeah, it's kind of up to their interpretation of 'hazard'. Castle Siege's transition is essentially a hazard with a lot of the jank that occurs during it but since it's not as clear as Frigate's gravity inversion that could potentially remain untouched.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm glad to hear that it can be turned off, I was starting to worry that they removed the flip from Frigate Orpheon as all footage I found lacked it. It also explained why the Pokemon weren't showing up on Saffron City in one match but were in another.

D

Deleted member

We most likely are all very, very excited for SSBU, but, even more than that, is the wonderful stage hazard toggle. To put it simply, the SH (Stage Hazard) toggle is a highly requested feature for smash that remove's certain, if not all hazard's from the chosen stage. This is great for competitive play, and thus I have complied a list of all currently known stages without hazard's on & how they play. If you see anything wrong or missing please let me know. By the way I will not feature any stages that do not change when the hazard toggle is off. So if a stage is not here it means it is not affected by the toggle.

Skyworld: The terrain doesn't get damaged or break at all from attacks.

Geat Plateau Tower: The top part doesn't break anymore, however can be still interacted with. Also the king of red lions does not show up on stage, but in the background hangliding.

Town & City: The platforms in Phase 1 of T&C are changed. The posistion's are exactly the same, except the middle platform does not move anymore, staying at it's lowest posistion as it does at the beginning of a match in Smash 4. Phase 2 is the same as it's smash 4 counterpart. While Phase 3 is very similar to Phase 1, where the 2 platforms are stationary permenantly at their posistions farthest from the middle of the stage, closet to the blast zone's. (And as a side note for T&C when the platforms move away from the stage into the blast zone, they seem to be much slower doing so.)

Frigate Orpheon: The stage no longer flips, it stays at it's beginning phase from brawl, but the platform on the right still does move up and down, similar to brawl. And blackouts do not happen.

I don't have much more data than that sooo... your welcome.

Top Bottom