• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's Hopeless

dettadeus

Smash Lord
R.O.B.'s don't place? Lies, I got second at my last tourney and first in the one before that. :U
Sure, they weren't necessarily Unity Ruleset, but I still did extremely well for all the crap R.O.B. usually gets.

I'll be going R.O.B. at -Ran's first monthly tourney on the 29th. Bees! and I also plan to do a double R.O.B. team in the doubles bracket. Even if I don't place well in the Singles bracket, I don't see a whole lot of things at an MK-Banned tourney that won't beat two formidable R.O.B. mains. Especially in a scene that's been dead for two years.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'd actually like a little more clarification as to what "doesn't place" mean. Like #1 at a national tourney? Because that could be said of every character except Meta Knight, Snake, Diddy Kong, and Falco (or more like Larry).

I'm #3 in my region, but you won't hear much about me because I hadn't attended a regional in six months, but the month before last I got a ride there and beat the #1 player (MK, lol) and solidified my #3 spot regionally... with R.O.B.
Sure, maybe top 10 or top 25 isn't good enough, but it's really MK that stops R.O.B. and if MK is banned then you'll see R.O.B.s go much further... like up until they hit a Dedede or Falco or maybe a Lucario. Haha... but I hear ya! And good luck Mister Eric, sir! ([^^]

Bees!

Smash Ace
Falco doesn't get CG'd, Peach does. Also Falco beats Dedede, Peach doesn't, it's just a better MU than ROB for me, since I only play ROB/Peach.

Definitely go Falco.
I go Kirby vs D3. It is fun to juggle him and put him in bad situations. Kirby also can't be chaingrabbed. Also iirc everyone lighter than Zelda cannot be CG by D3

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
Imma get on that FL PR status with ROB.
Just you wait.
RISE OF THE ROBOT!
:brofist:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Must make this reference even though I hate the series:
OURS IS THE GYRO THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS.
[/gurren laggan]

We should all start MMing Dedede's and learning how to deal with their everything. If all else fails, we can time him out more easily than most characters because he's slow and has a crappy projectile. Can't chaingrab us if he never gets to us on the ground.

Also, interesting idea: Maybe not fast-fall a short-hopped n-air so we can jump a second time and avoid a shield grab. Possibly add a rising b-air to the mix just to screw with the Dedede. Just a thought.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Off for me. I don't use C-stick for much besides dair, so being able to press up + A and not jumping is a huge thing for me.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Personally, I keep tap-jump on whenever I'm not playing Peach.
I made a slightly odd control setup for Peach... L is set to Jump, Tap-Jump is off. Easy to see why; it's much easier to float at ground level and attack at the same time while jumping is with an extra, unused finger. It's pretty useful for getting her U-Air string in because I can jump, cancel the jump with a float, and do her U-Air with the C-stick all at nearly the same time.
But enough about Peach...

I find doing aerials OoS much easier with tap-jump on than off, but it also makes it harder to tilt the shield. I also have the timing for u-tilt and u-smash down pat, so I never accidentally jump. Also makes it easier to follow up a D-Throw with U-Air in one fluid motion (other option would be X/Y + Up on control stick + A which is a bit much for my thumbs to handle without missing the timing).

Also:

How can you hate Gurren Lagaan? :(
Blame my sister. She obsessed over it WAY too much.
I still occasionally use the "YOUR ________ IS THE _________ THAT WILL ________ THE _________", but more because it makes more sense than anything else I could say with similar intentions.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I beat 4gods ddd in tourney last time I played him, I just camped the whole time but mixed in grabs and stuff too whenever it threw him off. you just have to outplay the DDD to win, if you're playing against a DDD on your skill level though your best bet is planking tbh

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Personally, I keep tap-jump on whenever I'm not playing Peach.
I made a slightly odd control setup for Peach... L is set to Jump, Tap-Jump is off. Easy to see why; it's much easier to float at ground level and attack at the same time while jumping is with an extra, unused finger. It's pretty useful for getting her U-Air string in because I can jump, cancel the jump with a float, and do her U-Air with the C-stick all at nearly the same time.
But enough about Peach...

I find doing aerials OoS much easier with tap-jump on than off, but it also makes it harder to tilt the shield. I also have the timing for u-tilt and u-smash down pat, so I never accidentally jump. Also makes it easier to follow up a D-Throw with U-Air in one fluid motion (other option would be X/Y + Up on control stick + A which is a bit much for my thumbs to handle without missing the timing).

Also:

Blame my sister. She obsessed over it WAY too much.
I still occasionally use the "YOUR ________ IS THE _________ THAT WILL ________ THE _________", but more because it makes more sense than anything else I could say with similar intentions.
I do the same thing with Peach, except I have R set as jump, I just keep my controls that way for all my characters though, I only use R as Peach. My controls are always tap jump off, R jump, X grab. X grab is from when I used to main Dedede/IC's, and I just got comfortable with it.

And I'm sorry your sister had to ruin such an amazing show for you like that. :[

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I beat 4gods ddd in tourney last time I played him, I just camped the whole time but mixed in grabs and stuff too whenever it threw him off. you just have to outplay the DDD to win, if you're playing against a DDD on your skill level though your best bet is planking tbh
sadly I agree.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
How can you hate Gurren Lagaan? :(
I loved it at first when i watched the whole series a while ago.

Tried watching it again recently on netflix and realize how much sense it doesn't make and the 2nd half is very confusing and boring compared to the pre time skip :colorful:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Planking isn't reliable because you'll hit the LGL if the DDD is smart. Sure when you're on the ledge you're in a position where you don't really take damage, but you also don't receive. So to start out, you need a % lead, which you can't get from the ledge. Problem is though, once you're on the ledge, you straight up can not get off of it. DDD can basically stop every ledge option easily if he knows what he is doing and will keep you on there so long that you'll go over that LGL.

You need to do mix ups to get grabs on him on stage, which unfortunately requires predicting the absolute crap out of him. When you run up, you have 2 options as far as I can see. Straight up dash grab or shield. The shield option leads to like 4 things though: immediate side dodge, shield grab, shield drop dsmash, or utilt. Dash grab works if DDD shields when you run at him and he thinks your going to do an attack like dash attack. Side dodge works sort of if DDD tries to grab you immediately. Dsmash and shield grab works if DDD goes for a side dodge expecting you to dash grab. I would say grab is better, but it's tougher. DDD's side dodge is good, so you need to time it better to get him after he side dodges. If you dsmash in the middle of the side dodge, it will continue until his dodge is over, hitting him. Problem with dsmash is that he can SDI it, or idk do stuff. Utilt is mainly used for when you run up to him and DDD tried to jump up and bair you, a mixup very few DDD's may use.

It's all rock paper scissors, except that DDD can cover his options easier than what ROB has to do to win the encounter successfully. Also if the DDD is perfect with his grab spacing, he may even be able to grab you from your run at him before your close enough to dash grab, or the range in which you will shield at him. Of course you could side dodge further away from him to not get grabbed from perfect spacing, but it doesn't matter because then you'll be too far away to punish well out of a side dodge.

Out of curiosity, who is 4god? I haven't heard of him.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
4God is a really good D3 player from GA. He's been ranked before, and he recently beat Reflex and some other GA power-ranked players.

RDT

Smash Rookie
Until MK is banned, there is no need to play ROB against him. It's a death sentance. I'm tired of the extreme uphill battle it is to win in the matchup, which I'm believing is close to 80-20 now at it's easiest in the top level of play. I'm tired of having n00bs counterpick Rainbow Cruise with MK on me (happened to me today, still won the set though), I'm tired of top players who are for the ban who hate MK go as far as to counterpick him to win (Happened today with Wes).
Heh, pretty sure I was that n00b.

I always wondered Chibo, do you have the videos for that set still?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
hey chibo, don't think of it that way. when you examine our (piss-poor) options in that MU so in-depth, you'll just get demoralized.

the only way to beat DDD is to beat the player, you can't beat the character.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
the way i explained it is all about beating the player lol

what i did though was study and layout all options of what i think our best tool is against a ddd to beat the player, ground grab mix ups. once you realize the pattern i laid out, no matter how ****ty it is lol, it will help u beat the player as you're suggesting

:phone:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
So I'm stuck between any one of these characters as my new secondary:

Wario
DDD
Falco

Recommendations? I like Wario and DDD the most so far though.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I'd go with Falco. In my personal experience, Falco covers every one of R.O.B.'s bad matchups perfectly, as well as being able to screw Dedede over (which is a plus if there's seriously going to be an influx of Dedede mains after the ban takes effect).

Looking at the actual matchup chart, Falco covers all of R.O.B.'s bad matchups save for Pikachu. I have a lot of experience against Pikachu though so I'm not bothered by them.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
ROB isn't even bad against Pikachu though.

:phone:
Matchup chart says it's -1 for R.O.B., but I agree that Pikachu isn't that difficult to beat if you can read him well (meaning gyrobounce so thunder won't hit you while you're recovering).
I feel like this is the only matchup where Robo-Copter is genuinely useful, since Thunder has such a long startup and if it's reflected the Pikachu will probably get hit or be on the other side of a wall of electricity from you.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I think it's even, tbh. ROB outspaces Pikachu so well. All Pikachu really has against ROB is early Thunder kills because ROB is light, or because he's up Bing and can't airdodge. Idk.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I would say that Pika plays a good pressure game on ROB

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Good friend of mine mains Pika and I used him for awhile. Seems like its slight ROB adv to us. Pikachu has some major issues getting in on ROB to begin with (moreso than usual because Pika says this is nearly every mu). Gyro really bothers Pikachu as well since his throw and GT are pretty bad.

But regardless you don't really need to counterpick a character for a -1 MU anyway xD

:happysheep:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I forget if I posted this or not. I made it a week or so ago.

Let's hope this doesn't happen.

inb4D3mainscomehereandspreadthewordofourfear

Bees!

Smash Ace
Dedede has too many bad MUs for that to happen. From disadvantage to even there is Pikachu, Diddy, Falco, Olimar, Snake, Fox, ICs, and Kirby. Probably more but I am too tired to look into it more. Either way this was pretty funny.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Matchup chart says it's -1 for R.O.B., but I agree that Pikachu isn't that difficult to beat if you can read him well (meaning gyrobounce so thunder won't hit you while you're recovering).
I feel like this is the only matchup where Robo-Copter is genuinely useful, since Thunder has such a long startup and if it's reflected the Pikachu will probably get hit or be on the other side of a wall of electricity from you.
I know I'm personally not good vs Pikachu, but looking at it objectively on paper I still think it's a pretty bad matchup. Almost -2. Kind of on the edge between -1 and -2.

The best matchups for side B imo are Falco and Yoshi by a pretty long shot.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
True, that's another that isn't bad (come on guys side B is useful lol).

It's useful vs everyone in certain situations, but it's best vs Yoshi and Falco because:
Falco - Hits out of Falco's side B - either it straight up beats it or it will clash leaving you with no hitstun (canceling the animation) most of the time) when you don't have time to bair. Also if Falco is going for a laser to something as you're landing, you can land in a side b and it will reflect the laser and ruining anything he was going to do (laser usmash normally).
Yoshi - Yoshi's projectiles are normally tough for rob to get around, but they are slow so it's easy to see them coming and reflect with side b. it's good with shield pressure because yoshi has no real oos options. also at the ledge (usually when reflecting eggs) if yoshi jumps up in an aerial, it will clash with overB and kill yoshi at any %

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Pikachu has too many options of getting a lock on us. Definitely 45:55 or -1 to us.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Dedede has too many bad MUs for that to happen. From disadvantage to even there is Pikachu, Diddy, Falco, Olimar, Snake, Fox, ICs, and Kirby. Probably more but I am too tired to look into it more. Either way this was pretty funny.
I wandered in here and saw this. I feel Dedede will be a little more prominent, since MK was obviously his worst matchup. He beats kirby and snake though, and pikachu/diddy/falco/fox/olimar are winnable but pretty hard, but ICs are close to unwinnable if the ICs know what they're doing. I'm probably going to use ROB a bit more in tourney though for certain matches.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Oi M@v, you still hosting tourneys? I've only been to one of yours, but that was in December '08 and I'm looking to go to a few this summer.

M@v

Subarashii!
Oi M@v, you still hosting tourneys? I've only been to one of yours, but that was in December '08 and I'm looking to go to a few this summer.
The Pittsburgh tourneys have been continuing since then :D

We just finished the 6th one in december.

Top Bottom