• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's called the PIKACOPTERRRRR! A Guide to Pikachu in Brawl Minus.

0Room

Smash Lord

IMAGE COURTESY OF FOREVER KASRANI
Gogglechu > Pikachu

Hello, all of you! I assume if you're reading this, you want to pick up Pikachu in Brawl Minus as a main or secondary. I'm not going to go into a super in depth character description, I assume you already know how to play this game. What I'm going to do is tell you how to annoy the crap out of everyone who plays against you. And win. A LOT.

Let me tell you how this works.
Pikachu *****. Hard. Because, you see, Pikachu is a character of options. He [I think] has the most options out of anyone in the game. That said, I personally believe that Pikachu is unbeatable if played perfectly.

~~~~~~~~~Basic changes~~~~~~~~~~~
But before we get into that, we have to talk about WHY he *****.
I'm not going to go into a change list, partly because Brawl Minus website doesn't have one and partly because people don't read those anyway.
So let me tell you what's important.

Thunderjolt [read as Jolt or (special move)B from now on] is jump cancel-able. It's a knockdown move, so it can be tech chased. Most of all, it's spammable as a mofo.

Thunder is jump cancel-able, shield cancel-able [from some videos I just watched, I haven't tried it myself, but I will soon] and most importantly, METEOR SPIKES. Do you understand what that means? It means you can jump off the edge, do the thunder, jump cancel, and return to the stage safely, watching your opponent fall to their death. More on that later.

One other thing that's Pika specific. It's called the Pikacopter by all who fear it. What is it, you ask? Backair. That's what it is. It goes COMPLETELY horizontal. What does that mean? You can move and attack AT THE SAME TIME. It's so so so good. It beats everything, or if it doesn't, it trades. Definitely one of his best attacks.

Let me give you an example. You don't need to watch everything, but just a few seconds to really understand what this means for Pikachu. No tripping [always good], automatically L Canceled Aerials, and no stale moves. So now all of Pikachu's Kill Moves will now always be his kill moves. So useful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuhd3m3fdc

~~~~~~~~~~In Depth Options~~~~~~~~~~~

So let's take a closer look at this. Why does Pikachu **** so hard?

Well, it's pretty much his natural characteristics along with the things we just talked about. Pikachu is small. When crouching, he avoids almost everything that's thrown at him [literally and figuratively] He's stupidly fast, easily one of the most mobile and agile characters in this game. And, almost all of his moves combo into other moves.

For Example:
Dthrow bounces all characters to SH height. Dthrow-> SHFFNair wins games.
Dthrow->Fair->Fsmash
Dthrow->Bair->Bair->FSmash
Dthrow->Fair->USmash
Dthrow->Fair->Grab
Dthrow->Uair->Uair [though I don't like this as much]
DThrow->Fair->DSmash->Thunder->USmash->Thunder->Off stage Thunder->Thunder->win
[Thunderspiking, will be covered later]
The hardest part of throws is when they DI behind you. That takes a little bit of improv.

B takes things to another level, where once you fire it, you have a ridiculous amount of options. Every time that the enemy is hit, they get knocked down. If they're off the map, it'll even meteor spike them! If they don't tech the jolt, you can do one of three main things.
1) you can thunderjolt again.
2) You can do a running up smash.
3) You can tech chase into pretty much anything.

If they avoid it, you can also do a double jump, and based on their decisions, you can make yours.
1) If they jump towards you, you can double jump towards and aerial.
2) You can also jump away and thunder.
3) Jump away and UpB to the ground.
4) Jump away and UpB far away [if it's a big map]
5) Jump towards/away and UpB through them [super fast and an actual attack]
6) Jump and do a second jump [depending on if it'll hit]
7) Don't jump, thunder, and jump/shield cancel the thunder.

Are you beginning the get the picture?

Sooo broken.

Thunder. What can I say? It's sooooo good. UpSmash->Thunder->UpSmash is a ridiculous combo akin to Falco's pillaring. But usually not as effective, because Pika's not THAT fast, most of the time. It can meteor spike, as we discussed earlier. Which means on 1v1, unless your opponent is stupid good, [or shiek] they will not, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, recover. Thunder is a projectile. What that means, is that nothing will ever out prioritize it. The only recovery you will ever have problems with is Sheik. Why? She is literally invincible during her entire recovery move. It's ridiculous. But that's for another time.
So how do you do this amazing move? It's very easy. You jump out, down b [either normally or B-reversed] and then jump cancel into an UpB to recover. Or maybe even thunder cancel into another thunder into an upB to recover. It's so good. But keep in mind, even though I call it Thunderspiking, it is NOT A SPIKE. It is a meteor smash, and it will require more than one thunder to kill! But fear not, even if they catch the ledge, if they don't move, their invincibility frames will end before the Thunder's hitbox ends.
If you're above the stage and see someone coming up to attack you [Ganon's upB for instance] spam that Thunder, and it'll hit them either before or after they begin to hit you. In the case of Ganon's upB, it'll spike him as he's shocking you.
And don't even get me started on the explosion.

It'll send people flying. It'll kill at 50% on a small stage.

Pikacopter is stupid good too. It'll combo into other aerials, especially other bairs. It also has almost NO lag due to autoLcancel, so what you can do is bair->bair->FSmash->win
Alternatively, you can go into a DSmash [which is also stupid good, and people can't DI out of anymore, from what I understand] which pops them up after about 15-20 damage. Then you can thunderspike into a PikaPillar or into a Nair or Bair or something. Beginning to get the picture?
As discussed before, Pikacopter is also good as a movement across the stage. When you Pikacopter across the stage, almost nothing can stop you. Only super high priority moves or disjointed hitboxes will stop it. And if it hits, you can go into those options we talked about. So basically, with Pikachu, once you get one hit, you can get at LEAST 20%, and at most, a 0-death. As I said, Pikachu is a character of options.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Offensive side~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This leads us to Offensive and Defensive in a match. As I said, this is a quick runthrough of Pika's changes and how to capitalize on them. Most of your match ups will consist of 2 things. Zoning, and killing. One of your greatest offensive moves is also one of your greatest defensive moves. And that's the jolt. The best way to do a jolt is called a retreating jolt. Thunderjolt that stage. All day, every day. Jump away from your opponent->Press analog stick towards your opponent->let go of control stick->press B. If you do it correctly, Pika will jump left [for example] and fire his thunderjolt right. It takes a while to get used to, and Pika is stubborn and sometimes refuses to listen. So don't feel too bad. Just make sure you get that move down before you start ******. It helps so much.

So basically, what you're going to do is do jolts until you feel like attacking. If they get too close for comfort, upB out. They can't do anything. Ever. After you get bored and feel like attacking, the safest approach is wait until they're knocked over from your jolt, and either teching or bouncing on the floor. Run towards them, read their tech, and do a running upSmash. The two ways of doing this are the Melee way [up+A at the EXACT same time] or the Brawl way [flick the C stick up]. Either way works, and I prefer the Brawl way even though I'm a Melee player.
When you do hit, since Pika's way too strong with that electric tail, they will either die, or fly way up to the ceiling. If option 2, jump and Thunder and try to hit with a second upSmash for the kill. It's a very safe approach, and very good.

Now, if your opponent can get out of your jolts [either by clanking or just avoiding in general] get into that Pikacopter and start her up. Send out a jolt and slam them with a Pikacopter when they're not paying attention, and you can usually get an Fsmash out of it. Or, if they shield it, try and land behind them so you can grab. Pikachu doesn't really have a lot of shield-stun, one of his 3 weaknesses, but he's so mobile you can usually get around it.
Pikacopter should be your preferred method of movement when you're not reverse jolting. There's almost no lag, there is no stale moves, and therefore no reason NOT to use it. Empty SH are good for mindgames, but it's super useful to just go ahead and pikacopter.

Other good approaches are dash attack [surprisingly], dash dance, and dash cancel into a Fsmash. Fsmash has a lot of priority and a lot of range. It's very useful. Also, Nair is very good if they're above you, and Uair is alright, but not that useful imo.

~~~~~~~~~Punishing~~~~~
For punishing, UPSMASH is your go to weapon. It's got a super good knockback, and has a lot of priority. The only problem is that is has a very small range, you have to be super close to win. Depending on where you are, you can also punish with FSmash, Ftilt, Dtilt, Utilt [though if you're close enough to utilt, UPSMASH] IF they have a lot of lag, you can dthrow, bthrow if they're near the edge, or even uthrow if you're silly.
Ftilt is my favorite for punshing, next to that and jolt. Ftilt has a lot of range [farther than his feet] a lot of priority, and a decent amount of knockback. Also, ftilt can knock people down. Then go into a jolt, into the paragraph above. Punishing for Pikachu effortlessly translates into his offensive game. Which, for us Pikachus, is a very good thing.
But what happens when you're on the defensive? Pikachu has a lot of options there, too.

~~~~~~~~Defensive options~~~~~~~
Most of his Defensive options stem from the fact that he's very mobile. Pikachu is so fast that Marth literally can't touch him. Ever. If he touches you, you're doing it wrong. So how do you Zone? Easily, you spam B. Retreating jolt until you hit, and now suddenly you've gone from Defensive to Offensive.
But let's say you're in a bad place, and you need to get out NOW. Pikachu's main GTFO move is his upB. If you're in super big trouble need to get out NOW, upB is your main man. If you see Ganon pulling back his elbow, and you want to stop him instead of shielding, upB either into him or away from him. If you do it into him, you'll add some % while getting out, maybe stopping him. If away, good for you. Reset into those thunderjolts.
If you're stuck on a small stage, plank like a mofo.

This is a little bit different, since the ledge invinc frames are very low, but you can do it because YOU'RE PIKACHU. It consists of ledgecatch->downb->jump cancel->upb->ledgecatch->repeat
Basically you're untouchable until you decide to get off/mess up. It's a great strategy, but the cost of messing up is HUGE. If you mess up, you die. So practice this for a few hours against some computers before you just jump into it.

If your opponent approaches, you have quite a few options [as always]. If they jump, you can Nair. If they just run straight at you, jump and jolt. If they they jump over that, retreat jolt or Nair. If they land in front of you, grab->dthrow/bthrow. Or, UpSmash. It really just depends on what you want to do. You're Pikachu, you have every option ever. So use whichever one you feel like doing.

0Room

Smash Lord
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Stages~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stages with edges are good for Pikachu. He can spike easily, and his off stage game is fantastic, with that Nair, jolt, and Thunder. You want small stages because of this. Large stages are also good, because you're so mobile and can avoid pretty much everything. Only stages without edges are bad for you. Not impossible, just kinda bad.

If you have this stage you are set for life. Pika's best stage by far.
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php#ByUserID=5587&Moderated=All
Normal Stages, PKS2[frozen if possible], BF, YS, Picto

~~~~~~~~~~~~Match ups~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is my personal match ups for Pikachu. It's VERY incomplete, I just simply talk about the ones I know. It will be updated when I have time/knowledge to do so.
IF YOU WANT TO ARGUE/DISCUSS THEM [I'm sure you do, for various reasons] Add a post asking why/giving reasons why they should be higher/lower on the match up list here. I'll respond with my reasons, and we'll handle this like civilized people. Thank you, and I hope you enjoyed the thread!

80-20 Pika's Favor

60-40 Pika

50-50
[mebbe]

40-60
[mebbe]

20-80

IDK

~~~~~Match up Discussion~~~~~

40/60 Match Ups

~~~~~~~~~~~Maaaario!~~~~~~~~~~

Mario is a hoe. That's all there is to it. He has a ridiculous amount of priority, a spammable projectile, and a few options to reflect/cancel your jolts. He abuses 2 of Pikachu's weaknesses: Pikachu is easy to kill, and Pikachu has somewhat low priority.
So how do you get in?
You want to bait actions with a jolt. That's how.
Mindgames are a huge part of this match up, since he's simply a more powerful character than you. Send a jolt, then double jump and when he's stunned doing whatever he's doing, do a Dair. What happens next is very important.
If he shields, it'll push him away so that he can't respond. If he gets hit, he'll get hit by the Dair. If he capes, he'll get hit by the Dair. If he responds with fireballs, he'll get hit by the Dair.
However, if he Usmashes, he will probably have enough time from the clank to Usmash again. In this situation, it's best to just back up, maybe throw another jolt, and just basically keep your distance. You don't want to be caught in that juggle he can get you in.
The USmash in general is your worst enemy. Sometimes, he'll get enough time out of a jolt with enough time where he can USmash you. That's bad. If he gets a Usmash, he can Usmash again at low%s and do a Uair combo or a fair. Also bad. So,GTFO if you feel he has enough time to do something. UpB out, and if you're feeling very brave[ie stupid] Dash through him behind him. If not, reset and begin the game over again.

Your defensive options consist mostly of retreating jolts, being mobile, and not letting Mario get his hands on you. If he does, expect a Dthrow into a Uair/Usmash/Fair/Bair depending on your DI [or lack there of] or a Bthrow. Obviously DI the Bthrow up, since you can't SmashDI a throw.
After he gets that, you want to either A) Tech the ground and escape, B) UpB out, C) Overprioritize whatever he's about to throw at you. Those are your 3 main options for anything, so let's talk about them real quick. A and B is useful, but C is a bad option in this match up. Almost all of his attacks beat yours, with the exception of mostly trading your Nair with the USmash. Which you don't want anyway. No damage is better than some damage.

Once you have him off the stage though, Mario is pretty easily gimped. Your thunder, appropriately and consistently placed, will stop him double-upb. You just have to make sure to lead him appropriately/hit him in general. If he does return back onto the stage, try to get a grab into a back throw to turn the whole thing over again.
If you do get a grab in general, downthrow or backthrow. If dthrow, depending on DI Nair or Fair->upsmash->thunder->usmash/fsmash.

Overall, you want him off the stage. Avoid his super prioritized USmash, Fsmash, and DSmash. All will lead into more combos, and since Pikachu can't really take damage, you don't want that. You have to play patient and watch for openings, as you can take control over any mistake Mario makes. But be. safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~Luigi~~~~~~~~~~~
Luigi, Mario's shadow and apparently less liked brother, is also a more difficult Match up for Pikachu due to a lot of the same reasons as Mario. He's got a lot of priority, a number of ways to deal with Pika's jolt, a very spammable projectile, and a very good combo game. His combo game is even better than Mario's in my experience, even if he doesn't have as much priority. His USmash has an even larger hitbox, and he has a few more options in recovery [which actually helps us]. And apparently, due to this picture, he can time travel and interact with himself in the past/future.

So what are Pikachu's answers to him?
Very few safe answers, actually. Like Mario, you want to be very patient and take your time with Luigi. spam those jolts, look for an opening, and be ready with that upB to escape is necessary. Grabs work wonders on him, I believe Fthrow can chain, but I'm not sure. Techchasing in this matchup, as in most match ups, is very important, as that's the way you're going to get most of your kills if you're not edgeguarding. Bthrow is a great set up for edgeguarding, especially as a punish.

Luigi off the edge is pretty much a guaranteed stock, as long as you are accurate and consistent with your thunders. That may be harder than you expect, as he has not 1 but 2 main ways of returning to the stage.
His first is the easiest to deal with. His headbutt is stopped immediately by Thunder, and since it hits down and at about a 30 degree angle, many Luigis won't do this against you. Or, they won't after you thunder the habit out of them ;]
Their other option is just slightly harder to deal with, but not too much. The upB actually has a lot of horizontal movement in Minus, and that takes a little bit of getting used to. If he UpBs ABOVE the ledge, watch out for him going to go above you and onto the stage. If he does HIGH above the stage, a Nair is actually more useful as a kill move than the Thunder. It'll push him out more sideways than down, where if you thundered him, he could upB again to catch the ledge/get back on the stage. So it's all about using the right option for the situation.

Offensive is pretty standard here, jolt to knockdown to tech chase to upSmash/dsmash->Nair. It's easiest to knock him off the side than up, so try for Fsmashes or Ftilts, Nairs or Fair->Fmash. Once you get him off the stage, it's like I said, very nearly a stock. And all you have to do is take it one stock at a time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MK~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will be added later.

20/80s

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sheik~~~~~~~~~~~

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
If you've ever played a good Sheik before, that is the sound you'll have made while trying to figure out where she is and what to do about it. You have a few options, so I don't REALLY think this is a 20/80, it just fits my personal dislike for this match up.

What's so bad about Sheik is that she capitalizes on Pika's 3 weaknesses, and takes away one of his strengths.
She abuses his low priority, low shield stun, and ability to be killed easily, all while taking away one of his best attributes: edgeguarding.
Thunderspiking is literally nonexistent against a Sheik, since her upB just makes her invincible the ENTIRE time. Also, edgehogging doesn't work either, and here's why.

You lay out a thunder just in case it would work. Sheik upBs through it, and the explosion would knock you off the ledge if you stayed there. You can't drop and regrab the ledge at this point, it's too late. So what do you do? Roll is the best option. So you roll, and avoid the explosion, but Sheik goes into specialfall and grabs the ledge anyway. And now you're cursing yourself for not dropping and grabbing the ledge earlier, refreshing those invinc frames as the first explosion happened.

Also, Sheik's combo game is stupid good.
DSmash->slap->slap
Dtilt->dtilt->utilt->dsmash
Dthrow->Uair->uair->uair[3 jumps, remember?]->upB for finisher

Those are just the start. Since Pikachu dies so fast, that's baddddddd for Pikachu. Also, his main safe approach [jolts] are easily canceled by Sheik's Dsmash/Usmash. So, like Mario and Luigi, it becomes a patience game, staying very far away from Sheik while simultaneously guessing where she is.
That invisibility is annoying. And since Pikachu doesn't have much shield stun, I can guess where she is, but not do anything about it. Imagine sheik rolls behind Pikachu, and shields. It would seem that Dsmash would be the best option to pressure that shield due to how many times it hits, but that's not true at all. If Sheik shields, it's a free dthrow->combo. If she does get hit though, Pika gets the offensive and that's good for Pikachu. A Nair would push them away, but since the only good part of it is the initial start up, it can be hard to hit. A Fsmash would work if you can get the time to do so, but I mean, it's sheik! A Usmash just doesn't have enough knockback on shield. So the only real option is to escape, either by Pikacoptering [my preferred method] or just by jumping away/UpBing. A Sheik in shield, especially behind Pikachu, is one of the worst things Pikachu can deal with, especially since you can't SEE if they're in shield. If you can, of course, you can grab, but if they're behind you shielding you better Pikacopter behind them and start the chase over again.

So what can Pikachu do to Sheik? Well, mostly, Nair. SHNair, FHNair, anytime Sheik is in the air, NAIR. It's one Pikachu's best moves, and easily the best way to punish Sheik for jumping. Like I said, jolts don't work. If you do hit one, good for you, and you should definitely fire them. Make sure you capitalize on ANY sort of Mistake. If you hit a Jolt, make sure you immediately get back up there, try to tech chase and get an USmash. But, you want Sheik in the air. Fire those jolts, and eventually, Sheik will try to jump above them. What you want then, is to get that Nair. I believe that Sheik's slap trades with the sweetspotted Nair, and the Dair just outright beats it, due to its strange properties. So where do you want to be? Underneath her. Directly underneath her. Which is a bit harder. If you can mindgame it, you can do an empty SH, force Sheik to do a Dair, and then Fsmash/Usmash her lag. In this match up, Pikachu becomes like every other character, in the fact that you can't edgeguard, and have to basically kill with regular moves.

However, if you feel like being silly, and know how to Breverse, [I haven't quite gotten the science of it] you can hassle Sheik while she's off the stage. Jump WAYYYYYYYYYYY out there [far enough to where she can't reach the ledge when she Upbs] when she's off the stage, B-reverse, recover ONTO the stage. If you UpB onto the ledge, it's harder to do the second Thunder, which is the point of this. Once you get on the stage, jump back out there and leave a second thunder, right next to the first one. It'll make it more frustrating to get back to the ledge, but don't expect that to kill. Just to annoy her.

Overall, don't expect to get too much out of this match up. Play patient, abuse Nair/Fsmash/Usmash, and just try to get as much damage out of every punishment as possible. That's pretty much all you can do. If you're in a combo of Sheik's, upB out [you USUALLY can] and try to get below her and Nair. Rinse and repeat. That's all.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
it should be called BAIRcopter.

that is all.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Hello, just wanted to point out that Pika will be receiving slight nerfs. We are not sure what will stay and what will go. Nice write-up you have there though.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
nah, pikacopter doesnt flow, and its too many syllables. baircopter. 3 syllables. done. and when you say pikacopter, you have two k sounds right after each other. makes it sound worse. no way pikacopter > baircopter.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Good stuff. pika is too aweome and gay. this is basically how to play pika in a nutshell. without trying thats how.

0Room

Smash Lord
Good stuff. pika is too aweome and gay. this is basically how to play pika in a nutshell. without trying thats how.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'll definitely keep updating it, especially with Match ups, as I have time to do so. I hope you learned something, and definitely give me more feedback if you have stuff to say/discuss!

0Room

Smash Lord
Hello, just wanted to point out that Pika will be receiving slight nerfs. We are not sure what will stay and what will go. Nice write-up you have there though.
Awww. But he's so good :( I don't wanna lose his awesomeness.

Keep me updated on it, if you would be so kind :]

Xyless

Smash Master
Of course he's so good, because he's "too" good. Hence the nerfs.

You'd be surprised how often a character becomes loved because they are easier to win with.

0Room

Smash Lord
Of course he's so good, because he's "too" good. Hence the nerfs.

You'd be surprised how often a character becomes loved because they are easier to win with.
I know lol. I mean, look at my personal view on the match ups. It's brokennn.

But I just love Pika because of all of his options and his ability to edgeguard. That's what really sets him apart from all the other characters in this game. No one else can ledgeguard like he can.
I'm a melee player, so that's a huge huge huge part of the game for me. I became bored with Minus very easily when I learned I couldn't ledgeguard easily. But then Pikachu came along, and well, here we are.

So as long as I can keep those two things, I'll be good. I wouldn't mind joining the discussion of it, if that was possible.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I see you have sheik as a 20-80 Mu in sheiks favor. i dont disagree with this since imo sheik is the best in the game (my friends have banned sheik in are friendlies lol) but i would like to know what are the reasons this Mu is so bad for pika

0Room

Smash Lord
I see you have sheik as a 20-80 Mu in sheiks favor. i dont disagree with this since imo sheik is the best in the game (my friends have banned sheik in are friendlies lol) but i would like to know what are the reasons this Mu is so bad for pika
I'm glad you asked, since I mostly did put all of the MUs in extreme places to elicit these kinds of responses.

What's so bad about Sheik is that she capitalizes on Pika's 3 weaknesses, and takes away one of his strengths.
She abuses his low priority, low shield stun, and ability to be killed easily, all while taking away one of his best attributes: edgeguarding.
Thunderspiking is literally nonexistent against a Sheik, since her upB just makes her invincible the ENTIRE time. Also, edgehogging doesn't work either, and here's why.

You lay out a thunder just in case it would work. Sheik upBs through it, and the explosion would knock you off the ledge if you stayed there. You can't drop and regrab the ledge at this point, it's too late. So what do you do? Roll is the best option. So you roll, and avoid the explosion, but Sheik goes into specialfall and grabs the ledge anyway. And now you're cursing yourself for not dropping and grabbing the ledge earlier, refreshing those invinc frames as the first explosion happened.

Also, Sheik's combo game is stupid good.
DSmash->slap->slap
Dtilt->dtilt->utilt->dsmash
Dthrow->Uair->uair->uair[3 jumps, remember?]->upB for finisher

Those are just the start. Since Pikachu dies so fast, that's baddddddd for Pikachu. Also, his main safe approach [jolts] are easily canceled by Sheik's Dsmash/Usmash. So, like Mario and Luigi, it becomes a patience game, staying very far away from Sheik while simultaneously guessing where she is.
That invisibility is annoying. And since Pikachu doesn't have much shield stun, I can guess where she is, but not do anything about it. Imagine sheik rolls behind Pikachu, and shields. It would seem that Dsmash would be the best option to pressure that shield due to how many times it hits, but that's not true at all. If Sheik shields, it's a free dthrow->combo. If she does get hit though, Pika gets the offensive and that's good for Pikachu. A Nair would push them away, but since the only good part of it is the initial start up, it can be hard to hit. A Fsmash would work if you can get the time to do so, but I mean, it's sheik! A Usmash just doesn't have enough knockback on shield. So the only real option is to escape, either by Pikacoptering [my preferred method] or just by jumping away/UpBing. A Sheik in shield, especially behind Pikachu, is one of the worst things Pikachu can deal with, especially since you can't SEE if they're in shield. If you can, of course, you can grab, but if they're behind you shielding you better Pikacopter behind them and start the chase over again.

NNID
Budget_Player
Bowser is 20-80 with pika? What are you smokin' man?

Seriously though, I REALLY doubt that bowser loses by more than 5 points (in fact, I suspect he wins) against pikachu. Tjolt? Won't work. Pikacopter? Won't work. Almost every combo? Won't work. Pikachu loses a LOT of his options in this matchup, most of the ones that work having a ridiculously low range (nair, grab), being extremely telegraphed (dair, hyphen smash), or being very slow (Fsmash, downB). Bowser will get in, and he will destroy you with his midrange ability.

Nice guide, though.

0Room

Smash Lord
Again, that's another match up I wanted people to talk about.
I personally find this match up super easy. You're wayyyy more agile than Bowser, so as long as you don't get inside of his range you'll be fine. I find it's either super easy to CP a large stage and just reverse jolt all day. It won't stun him, but it'll get his damage up. Once he's in killing range, you just get him to do something stupid, and then punish.
On a small stage, you can just plank all day every day. Drop, thunder, recover to ledge, if he decides to sit next to it you can just Nair. Apart from that, if its a small stage then you can easily Fsmash/Usmash because there's nowhere to go for Bowser.

Most people just think it's a losing match up because Pikachu "can't knock him out of his Heavy Armor". But there's so much more to it than that. It's just playing smart, really. I believe when the Dair hits the ground it also knocks him out of HA but I'm not 100% sure.

0Room

Smash Lord
After playing a Bowser yesterday I can definitely see what you're saying, and I agree that it's not a 20/80 Match up. However, I do believe Pika still has the advantage 1v1. He's just really mobile and can stay out of Bowser's range. He just has some issues killing without getting killed, but that's all mindgames. I'll keep doing some research and let you know what I find.

Top Bottom