• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ITS ALIVE! Yoshi CP Stage Discussion Thread! (yeah, I have ideas. <3)

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Olimar isn't very hard for yoshi at all.

Gashi asked me to post this for him since he wants to keep his 8,888 post count I guess.

Z'zgashi said:
Oli is good on Frigate for multiple reasons, the first being that his Pikmin ratios are better than ever on this stage, he masses Purples and Yellows. The second, is that Oli can camp really well here, and this is especially apparent in the second transformation. If you give oli the middle dip, you're screwed. His pivot will grab up the hill, he can throw pikmin wherever, he can usmash through the platform above that is protecting him, and he's so small that nothing will hit him.
First, getting a bunch of purple/yellow is arguably not a good thing for him. (I'd say yellow are the second most useless for him vs us), and purples are really only good for camping/KO'ing. Also the stage doesn't change the odds that much. It's like 30% for yellow/purple as opposed to the standard 20%.

Olimar in the middle is kinda scary, but he can't throw yellows/purples anywhere from there. They both have terrible lobs for throwing for distance. And we are just as strong in the center as oli is. One last thing, if you camp the sides while he's in the middle what is he going to do? Wait for it to flip back over and put us at an advantage again?

Yes olimar is fairly good at the second part, but the flips and the lack of a ledge and overall bad layout for him on the first part (flat with only 1 real platform that is too far out of the way to help him) really make this stage bad for him. Then on top of that the flips FORCE him into the air. Our whole goal in this match up is to get olimar in the air, and at frigate the stage does it for us. Take advantage of the flips.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Olimar isn't very hard for yoshi at all.

Gashi asked me to post this for him since he wants to keep his 8,888 post count I guess.

Z'zgashi said:
Oli is good on Frigate for multiple reasons, the first being that his Pikmin ratios are better than ever on this stage, he masses Purples and Yellows. The second, is that Oli can camp really well here, and this is especially apparent in the second transformation. If you give oli the middle dip, you're screwed. His pivot will grab up the hill, he can throw pikmin wherever, he can usmash through the platform above that is protecting him, and he's so small that nothing will hit him.
First, getting a bunch of purple/yellow is arguably not a good thing for him. (I'd say yellow are the second most useless for him vs us), and purples are really only good for camping/KO'ing. Also the stage doesn't change the odds that much. It's like 30% for yellow/purple as opposed to the standard 20%.

Olimar in the middle is kinda scary, but he can't throw yellows/purples anywhere from there. They both have terrible lobs for throwing for distance. And we are just as strong in the center as oli is. One last thing, if you camp the sides while he's in the middle what is he going to do? Wait for it to flip back over and put us at an advantage again?

Yes olimar is fairly good at the second part, but the flips and the lack of a ledge and overall bad layout for him on the first part (flat with only 1 real platform that is too far out of the way to help him) really make this stage bad for him. Then on top of that the flips FORCE him into the air. Our whole goal in this match up is to get olimar in the air, and at frigate the stage does it for us. Take advantage of the flips.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Figured it out.
zgash said:
Can you pls gather a mass of oli mains and go to the Yoshi boards' stage discussion and tell them that Oli is good on FO, they wont believe me and i cant post cuz i wanna keep my 8888 lol.
also @zgash, I don't disagree that it's bad with oli.
But it is my least favorite person to fight with any character.

:phone:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Matchup's about even, maybe a slight advantage in either's favor. Nothing drastic for either character.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Moving on to next topic Monday.
Anyone else has anything to say about frigate, get it out this weekend.
(late write ups will be accepted... I have no problem copy and pasteing that over off schedule. I'm no beaver.)

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
This isn't like a hard CP for Olimar but we have a pretty decent advantage as long as we abuse the first transformation, the flips, and keep the center of the second transformation.

Frigate is fun but, as people said it already, don't take MK/Snake here. (Is snake really that bad here? Never seriously played on it.)

Silly Stuff we have here
  1. 1st Transformation
    • There's a Dtilt lock on the wall created when the right plat goes down.
    • That section also makes a pretty good camping spot.
    • Easy gimps off the right side. Most characters grab released off the side have to recover in a way so linearly that even if they get back on you can send em back off without much effort.
    • Going under the stage is pretty easy if you really feel like you have to.
  2. 2nd Transformation
    • Some characters have an extra regrab if you grab them at the center of the slope
    • Holding the Center is amazing for camping
    • We can DJ waveland up the slopes.
  3. Flips
    • That epic eggroll thing.
    • Not sure if we have any grab release related gimps on this stage, but if i find one i'll post it here later.

First Transformation, Great for aggression. Even supports camping if you pick the right spots.
Second Transformation, Great for camping.

Take characters with bad to meh recoveries, or characters that you either already out camp, or could outcamp with help of the slope on transformation 2.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Delfino!
Lots of transformations.

I like throwing eggs through the bottom of the platform part, and doing a rising uair/bair/airdodge depending on the situation.

That way we can't get footstooled:3
CG is nice when you can walk to the blast zone.
Because in our CG people fly pretty far away... Except wario.
And you can get easy CG KO's by walking em down the stage:3

there's alot of water here, I haven't done too well with sharking people, but I have gotten a couple KO's from it.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I get my terms mixed up alot lol.
Maybe I shouldn't do writeups when I'm tired/hungry/working on labor-day.

Ok, yeah not sharking.
But when you spike people in the water.
They float right up to you and you Fair spike em again before they can move.
They die pretty quick.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
I'm so bad at doing that I always either fair too high or fall in the water before my fair comes out LOL.

Sharky

Smash Master
you can stun lock people at not-high percents in the water with eggs =D

edit: that's the abortion lock

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Dat misspell.

And I like Delfino, but pocket MK makes this place meh.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
No mispell.
I combined fulttershy and zagshi.
Fluttergshi!

Delta?
You like da stage?
Hades?
Gimme something to put in the writeup section cause I don't feel as though mines good eneough and I need a second oppinion.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Because someone asked me to post here, I'll explain what sharking is for this stage (and a few others) and how it works after I'm done with classes.

Sharky

Smash Master
^it involves me eating people and dragging them down into the depths, sacrificing the remains to the scatzgod.

But I don't mind this stage in general, it gives us a lot of room to move about, good sharking potential, and funny scrooging shenanigans. It's fun to be taken here by a d3 and never cg'd because I never landed on the stage =P

btw: I don't feel the need to call it "sharky abortion lock" when I'm talking about it =P

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
I have no expertise on this stage's advantages & disadvantages, but I know there are several areas to do ground pound slide/cancel.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Can we uh... DR in the water? Like, jump, double jump, then attack, and because the attack initiates while beneath the surface of the water (or possibly even just the double jump) we just resplash in? No idea how in the world this could possibly be useful other than to look like a big, green reincarnation of Magikarp, but is it possible?

Scatz

Smash Champion
Even if we could, there's no point in doing it. At best, you'll be able to DR onto a sloped stage.

Now then, since I finally have free time (just procrastinating on finish my last bit of homework), time to explain sharking.

Sharking is where you are under the stage to be temporarily safe from the opponent's attacks, or it can open up a slight amount of approaching options from the ledge when comparing a stage with no passable properties some other stages provide. MK (on delfino) is the prime example of sharking since it's next to impossible to hit him until he comes up. Yoshi has the ability to do this too, but with less effect. He can throw eggs and follow up with Dair to force extensive shield pressure, or he can use it to stall his opponent until a better stage formation comes by (Delfino's transitions). While it's not as effective to stall with it, proper use can allow some free space onto the stage and/or can place pressure on the opponent that used to be in an advantageous position. It's a method that has to be used correctly or else it'll get you killed.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Reviving.
I'm annoying like that.
We WILL finish CP's.

Someone say somehting about Delfino. one nice write up and we'll move on!

also thread updated with MC-Killas old thread.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yoshi isnt really stage dependent in the first place, we literally should just be picking stages we're personally comfortable with or are bad for the opposing character, and banning stages we dont personally like or that the opposing character is good at. Yoshi is good at every stage and tbh, doesnt really have any overall better or worse stages. Really, our stage selection should be match up dependent, try your best to counter the opposing character with the stage, dont try and buff Yoshi with it as he's already good regardless of the playing field.

Someone say somehting about Delfino. one nice write up and we'll move on!
Delfino is a good stage.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I legitimately cant think of a stage that in most situations is bad for us.

Top Bottom