• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's a trap! Pit trap idea thread

Zulo

Smash Ace
The Pit boards seem to focus a lot on ATs and obscure combos and whatnot, but what I haven't seen a lot of is traps and stuff. Traps, as I refer to them, are putting your opponent in a position where you can predict what they will do and punish. For example, with Marth I like to fthrow, wait for and airdodge, and regrab at higher percentages. I haven't noticed a lot of traps used by Pits in higher level play, but a lot of people have a few they find to work well for them. For example, the following are some of my favorite traps..

One of the most common is dthrow, wait for airdodge, regrab. They probably won't airdodge again, so you can follow up with dthrow, rising uair.

A good kill setup that I've seen some Pits use is reverse aerial rush a short hop, fast fall, then fsmash. This makes them think you're going to try to land a bair and can throw off their timing.

That's about all I can think of right now. Any more ideas guys?

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs & FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
Just walk up to them, wait for the shield or spotdodge and grab. Works on a lot of people because they have the immediate reflex to defend themselves when you approach. Also use Uair to Bair when people are dropping down from above. Usually they airdodge the Uair which sets them up perfectly for a sweetspot Bair. Use an arrow to bait an airdodge then punish with a Bair. Those are some of my favorite things to do.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Roll in on them safely while they're using an aerial approach and upsmash.

Walk away slowly, turn around and run->dash shieldgrab.

WoI and refresh, fly away as if you made a mistake to WoI, and then turn around quickly and attack.

Just a few I do on occasion. The rest are arrow traps and fake-loops. ^^

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
fthrow and just walk towards them and shield at mid high percents, they will either try and punish you thinking you're gonna regrab in which case you shield it and punish with a regrab or fsmash, or they will retreat.

esca taught me this via text,
dthrow, stand still. if they come down, regrab, go backwards=free bair, go forward=fair or regrab, or they jump in which case you uair.

uthrow>charge an arrow aimed up, follow DI.

just using grounded woi is a trap in general lol

um... oh yeah. if you are close, start a dash away, then pivot arrow buffered dash attack combo. i likes dat one :)

dtilt is a trap setting move. get creative. im buzzed. don't wanna think anymore

fUddO

Smash Ace
I prefer roll --> Utilt. Faster, and I think that Utilt might actually do more damage, lol. Seriously, Utilt is beastly.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I don't see how these are traps. They are reads lol. Reading an airdodge or a roll is all. I like to jab their shield then walk backwards because they usually roll back then you can get a free fsmash. Traps are more like arrow loop setups to make them airdodge into a smash or get hit and so we can follow up with an aerial.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
well those are frame traps luckay. i think he just meant what are good ways to bait with pit. wrong terminology but the rest of his post got his point through.

but yeah a legit trap is like you said, arrow loop>stuff. or sour bair>stuff. fthrow>stuff. btw im refering to inescapable stuff as, "stuff," just to make sure you guys aren't confused about stuff when i say stuff. you know, that kind of stuff.

madival

Smash Cadet
The one I always use is roll forward smash. Alot of the opponents I fight will get into a roll off with me (we both roll until someone rolls away or someone stops for something) and the duration on pits Fsmash gets them every time and generates tons of distance.

Xcallion

Smash Ace
How about this: we lie in wait for the rebel fleet and then as soon as they show up we launch a surprise attack and kill them all! Perfect trap. I bet that they'll die so fast that they wont even have enough time to notice or comment on the brilliancy of our trap! :p

Very scary, but worth it is you pull it off. Activate WoI offstage in a position that your enemy thinks he can punish you. He chases you offstage desperate for a kill, but you footstool him instead. Grab the edge off of this footstool and then you can turn around and gimp him.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
ya for real. only do that if you are a stock up. it would be better to go for the footstool and then WOI so that they shoot down and you are safe (except against MK duh)

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
idk if this counts as a trap or not, but when people are standing on the edge of a platform sometimes i like to do a wing dash under and slightly infront of them and push them off the platform so that they are in aerial position. most of the time people don't expect it and it's usually a free grab or fsmash so that's a good set up albeit conditional

Abel1994

Smash Lord
idk if this counts as a trap or not, but when people are standing on the edge of a platform sometimes i like to do a wing dash under and slightly infront of them and push them off the platform so that they are in aerial position. most of the time people don't expect it and it's usually a free grab or fsmash so that's a good set up albeit conditional
I do a similar way but a more defenceive one. I WoI cancle jump when im hangin out the ledge to move them back

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
that's an old one buddy. sorry. i love doing that to snakes nades when they are set near the edge too. sometimes they don't notice and get hit by them and i chortle inside.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
when I see a snake use nades I usually spam because when they throw it my arrow hits it right in front of them or they drop it cuz my arrow his em lol its fun to use things against them

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Everyone probably does that already. The real skill is making them drop a grenade then shooting the grenade on the ground to make it explode near him.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
@Luckay
I love doing this.

One thing I noticed about WoI at the edge is that if someone is using a dash attack at the edge while you're using UpB, it'll make them fall off.
This can come handy against snake, if he tries to DACUS toward the edge while you're hanging on it, or someting like that. I know I've randomly done it to several snakes.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Hmm that's a nice mix-up if they drop their shield or something of that nature. What about a diddy taking out bananas on a platform? Does it still work if he's in the animation? If so it could be a legit fear factor thing on him.

@Luckay
I love doing this.

One thing I noticed about WoI at the edge is that if someone is using a dash attack at the edge while you're using UpB, it'll make them fall off.
This can come handy against snake, if he tries to DACUS toward the edge while you're hanging on it, or someting like that. I know I've randomly done it to several snakes.
works on stuff like wolf fsmash also.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
hmm that's a nice mix-up if they drop their shield or something of that nature. What about a diddy taking out bananas on a platform? Does it still work if he's in the animation? If so it could be a legit fear factor thing on him.

Works on stuff like wolf fsmash also.
hiiiiiiiiii :d

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
lol @ Blubo, I didn't even see what you said here and I basically posted the same thing in my thread. Pit boards got too many threads rofl.

Zulo

Smash Ace
Technically that's the wrong word, they're not frame traps. Basically putting your opponent in an unvavorable position and being able to predict how they're respond, and punishing.

Mindgamez.

Xcallion

Smash Ace
i just remembered this: if you use WoI and get hit during the activation frames (where you can still use it again after being hit out of it), let your opponent think that you're dead and jsut stay in the Free Fall animation for a second or two. Then as they walk away from the stage edge, waiting for you to respawn recover and wait for the WTF reaction. It only works once per person and if you pull it off they will always chase you until they are certain you are dead. no one likes to be fooled like that. Not sure if it counts as a trap, but i hope it's close enough for this topic.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
This is an old one for me:
Woi in front of them usually a faked dash rush. Grab them if they block.

If they usually side step, woi-->f-tilt usually works.

I think thats mind games....

You always have the baited uair chase, they evade it to get a dair.

:phone:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i love how katana always comes out of nowhere, says something really really smart, useful, or detailed, and then just vanishes like the wind.

he's kinda like the secret weapon of darkness on the pit boards, a terrible beast of intense skill and knowledge lying in the darkest depths of the pit mains secret lair, waiting to be unleashed at a national when we have lost all other options. out most devestating ally, a destructive force the likes of which have yet to be truly unleashed into light.

a true monster......

Top Bottom