• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's a lovely morning in Smash Bros., and you are a horrible Goose. #GooseForSmash

D

Deleted member

Who (Or What) is Goose?

Goose is the as-of-now protagonist of the upcoming independent game "Untitled Goose Game". He's an ordinary-ish goose that exists solely to cause as much misery as possible on an unsuspecting village, which would mean he would be an antagonist. Except, you play as him, which would mean he has to be an anti-hero, right? No; you're just "a horrible goose".

This Goose, in particular, seems to have a unique intelligence and awareness of his surroundings compared to the rest of his species, which in particular, makes him an even larger threat to his village. Goose is a latent kleptomaniac, and desires to grab things just to make sure nobody else has access to them. And, when all else fails, Goose can honk as loud as he wants. If he's obnoxious enough, people will be terrified of his very being.

The Origin of Goose

Goose is a derivative towards the common perceptions towards real-life geese. The most recent foray into how antagonist geese can be was likely presented in the off-color animated series "Regular Show", but general disdain originated way before that. They honk, they intrude on your property, they drop green feces all over the sidewalks and statues in your parks, and you can't do anything about them because of animal rights activists.

This game began production sometime in 2017 by Australian developer House House and published by Panic and was originally set to launch in 2018, but has since been delayed to early 2019 in order to polish the gameplay a bit more. Therfore, or rather obviously, the only way for Goose to make a case for Smash Bros. is via DLC.

If Shovel Knight can make it, and Shantae has a decent argument for inclusion, why not Goose?

What About Moveset?

Moveset would be complicated, and if he gets in, an Assist Trophy would be the more probable solution. I guess he could bite and weave for his Smash attacks, fly around, grab opponents with his beak, and his Final Smash could summon a flock of geese.

If limited to an Assist, he would just be a nuisance, stealing items and dropping them out of the stage boundry line, and swarming any opponent who gets near.

Toby Hunter, Minneapolis Star. No, really; is this a joke?

Depending on your perspective, Toby. However, as this game will appear on the Nintendo Switch, it should be at least looked at for a curiosity factor. Plus, based upon the game's intended soundtrack, it would be at least worth considering for the music, as it consists of piano arrangements that play ambient sounds and whenever the Goose does something.

Flock Members
1. JDogindy (topic creator)
2. ZelDan
3. Dixie Kong
4. Smashoperatingbuddy123
5. Gemini-Gene

VIDEO:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Im sorry, not be rude, I just couldn't see a character like this coming into smash...

D

Deleted member

It's highly unlikely, but it never hurts to have a little fun in your suggestions.
True! Hope I didn't give of the impression of being rude. Just didn't know if it was one of those 'Shrek for Smash' types of things lol.

D

Deleted member

True! Hope I didn't give of the impression of being rude. Just didn't know if it was one of those 'Shrek for Smash' types of things lol.
It's fine, but the two things that help it are;

1. It's an actual game, and...
2. From today's Nindies direct (with some people were watching just to see if Shantae in Smash would be announced or what-not), the game received the most positive attention on social media for it's offbeat nature and colorful style.

D

Deleted member

It's fine, but the two things that help it are;

1. It's an actual game, and...
2. From today's Nindies direct (with some people were watching just to see if Shantae in Smash would be announced or what-not), the game received the most positive attention on social media for it's offbeat nature and colorful style.
Good point! And ultimately, its Sakurai who is doing the work in, my opinion doesn't matter, so anything can happen :)

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I support the Goose. It's pretty funny how whenever there's bird characters in games and cartoons they are always jerks. I guess it's in their DNA. :ultfalco:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Definitely not happening, but I'd love it. imagine Diddy Kong if all his moves were as annoying as Banana Peel, that's how I imagine Untitled Goose playing.

also, I personally would refer to the character as "Untitled Goose" or "Horrible Goose" to make it more distinct.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I would imagine him playing like Jigglypuff, having 6 jumps, and being able to fly through the air really fast. He would be among the lightest in the game, sitting in between G&W and Squirtle/Pichu. However, his specials and normals would obviously be different. And yes, there would be LOTS of HONKING!

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
What have I done?

1570768093052.png

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, ducks and... Other birds, to the Untitled Goose Support Thread! Well, it is titled, but... Ah you get what I mean! So, let's start off with some basic things, such "Who is the Untitled Goose?" "Why is the Untitled Goose?" and "Why isn't the Untitled the Goose?" would you believe me if i said that the last one was intentional
Who is the Untitled Goose?​
The Untitled Goose is... Well, a goose. Particularly, Mr. Goose is the protagonist of Untitled Goose Game. In Untitled Goose Game, you are, well, a goose. A goose hellbent on annoying the crap out of the civilians of this simple town. All because you are a goose. A horrible goose. That is you!
Why is the Untitled Goose?​
You know Piranha Plant? You know how it somehow got into smash, and it caused this massive uproar and gangs of plants and overall being a hilarious time? Yeah, think the Untitled Goose like that. A Smash newcomer that is so clearly a joke character and is actually... Y'know, functionable. Now, I understand that this isn't a fair comparison. There's only so many things geese can do, as opposed to Piranha Plant's massive source material from other species of Piranha Plants. However, it still gets my point across. The Untitled Goose is the perfect joke character because the game it comes from is essentially a really long joke. And a successful joke. People have already fallen in love with the horrible goose that it's actually kind of hilarious.
Why isn't the Untitled the Goose?​
Now, is the Untitled Goose gonna get in? No, probably not. Both Jigglypuff and Piranha Plant, while joke characters, still have things to work with, Pokemon moves and Piranha Plant species respectively. However, for the Goose? They're just... A goose. Not a time travelling goose, not a robot goose. Just a Goose. However, even with that slowing them down, I will still support the Untitled Goose! And you should to. Don't want a flock of geese to invade your home, after all.
The horrible goose's victims:
TooBadWaluigiTime
Cyndane
Sebas22
Perkilator​

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I give you my support.... but honestly, I feel like the Goose would work perfectly as an Assist trophy:
- He runs around the stage.
- Picks up items from the floor and brings them back to the player.
- Can steal items from the opponents's hands.
- Occasionally *honks*, causing anyone directly in front of him to trip.
- Can't be K.Oed.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
oh yes, absolutely.

Put me on that support list immediately.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I know this started as a meme, but as I think about it, Goose would make a great fighter in Smash. Untitled Goose Game has become one of the most popular games on Seitch since it released.

Looking online for 2 seconds, I found a great moveset plan and color ideas. Looking at it, gives me hope. Hope for Goose to Hjonk into battle.
You can find the moveset and colors here:

https://images.app.goo.gl/AgH9nwh3tX4fQC5YA

I also hold hope for a Goose Amiibo, which provides an amiibo fighter in smash, and spawns a random item in front of you in Untitled Goose Game. The base would be the same as every other Smash character, like Mii Brawler or Bayonetta - Player 2.

Do you guys think he should be included? I for one would really enjoy honking at Sans and Banjo-Kazooie until the fall off the stage...!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As it turns out, we had three separate threads for the Goose, so I merged them into one Frankenstein's Monster-like thread.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I'm supporting Goose for Smash! (I wanna join.)

Here's my moveset for it: (Only showing the specials.)
Neutral: H O N K!
Side: Goose Charge
Up: Flight
Down: No Goose Sign (Reflects projectiles like Dedede's Gordo, K. Rools Cannonball and many more.)

Final Smash: Townspeople Stampede

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes. And I'll probably give to game a go too.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With the end of the year coming up, I'm pleased to see Untitled Goose Game getting awards.

EDIT: Also, a workshop mod for Rivals of Aether gives a rough idea of how the Goose could work in Smash.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I hope it's okay for me to bump this, but add me on as a supporter. Goose would be a total out of nowhere pick now that so many characters have been deconfirmed.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Goose is being rated in the RTC thread right now.

Also, considering there's a Nindies Direct tomorrow (funnily enough, the same day as a new State of Play), what if, maybe--JUST maybe, not holding my breath--the Goose was somehow teased as FP5?
It seems incredibly unlikely that they'd include any Smash Bros. news in an indie presentation. Nintendo's not exactly a little-known independent developer, and it would overshadow everything else in the Direct/presentation, which seems like it would be in bad taste.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I could see the Untitled Goose as a Spirit or even AT. UGG is one of the biggest indie games since Undertale but while I'd love the Goose as a character, I think it wouldn't be worth all the negotiations and cross-country communication to get what is for all extents and purposes a joke character in a playable role.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
What do you think it will be named?

As the title suggests, I think it would be Horrible Goose in English. In Japanese, taken from the subtitle of the name, it would be いたずらガチョウ (Itazura gachō)

Japanese: いたずらガチョウ
English: Horrible Goose
Spanish: Ganso petardo/Ganso muy malo
French: Vilaine oie/Oie insupportable
German: Heimtückische Gans/Schreckliche Gans
Italian: Terribile oca/Oca cattiva
Dutch: Onuitstaanbare gans/Vreselijke gans
Russian: Ужасный гусь/Ужасного гуся (Uzhasnyy gus'/Uzhasnogo gusya)

Not from the eShop description:
Simplified Chinese: 顽鹅 (Wán é)
Traditional Chinese: 頑鵝

Also, it would be last in All-Star Smash if a SwSh Pokemon didn't get in.

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
The best part of his Honk being a neutral special would be that Kirby's copy ability would have him go "Honk!" and if that's not the cutest goddamn thing

Put me down as a supporter

Top Bottom