• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's 1999, you're the director of a new Nintendo based fighting game, and you have to pick 12 characters, but...

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
...all of the characters from Smash 64 were from financial failures in this timeline. In other words, the original 12 we have now; you can't use them or anyone from their series. You have to pick other characters that Nintendo owned from before, and at 1999 without using the following series:
Mario (THIS INCLUDES WARIO)
DK
Yoshi
Zelda
Kirby
Starfox
Metroid
Pokemon
Earthbound
F-Zero

Since it is 1999, Rare is fair game.

Have fun.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
This is stupid. U make a fun topic then take the fun out of it with dumb****. A lot of ppl dont know any dead nintendo franchises and many ppl only buy their consoles for 1 obvious game.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Duck Hunt
Mr. Game & Watch
Ice Climbers
Banjo
Conker
Lolo
Mike Jones
Pit
Little Mac
Balloon Fighter
Marth
Alm

This feels limited imo so as I did this as more of a challenge rather than have what I want, but there you go.

TheKooladion

Smash Rookie
This is stupid. U make a fun topic then take the fun out of it with dumb****. A lot of ppl dont know any dead nintendo franchises and many ppl only buy their consoles for 1 obvious game.
It's just a fun post that gets you thinking. Calm down, salt shaker.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Little Mac
Lolo
Excite Biker
Marth
Soldier (Wars series)
Pit
Mike Jones
Banjo & Kazooie
Fulgore
Rash
Lupus
Mech (Blast Corps)

(wanted Conker & Joanna Dark but there games came out in 2000)

Last edited:

SNinjaStudios

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1881-9214-4032
A Smash Bros. equivalent simply wouldn't exist because Nintendo would be dead. All of its most popular franchises are failures in this hypothetical timeline; what makes you think that obscure ones like ExciteBike and Urban Champion would succeed if Mario and Zelda failed?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hm...

Hmm...

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Conker
3. Ice Climbers
4. Balloon Fighter
5. Mike Jones
6. Mach Rider
7. Lolo & Lala
8. Duck Hunt Trio
9. Mr. Game & Watch
10. R.O.B.
11. Bubbles
12. Excitebiker

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A Smash Bros. equivalent simply wouldn't exist because Nintendo would be dead.
All retro characters.

But let's be realistic if those games were failures Nintendo wouldn't exist.
If Mario was a failure, the whole video game industry would have died out by the late 80s. It's thanks to Miyamoto's success of the first Super Mario Bros. that we still have a gaming industry today.

Buuhan

Is mayonnaise an instrument?
...all of the characters from Smash 64 were from financial failures in this timeline. In other words, the original 12 we have now; you can't use them or anyone from their series. You have to pick other characters that Nintendo owned from before, and at 1999 without using the following series:
DK
Yoshi
Zelda
Kirby
Starfox
Metroid
Pokemon
Earthbound
F-Zero

Have fun.

My list is:

Banjo and Kazooie

Bomber man

DK
Yoshi
Zelda
Kirby
Starfox
Metroid
Pokemon
Earthbound
F-Zero

Have fun.
DK
Yoshi
Zelda
Kirby
Starfox
Metroid
Pokemon
Earthbound
F-Zero

Have fun.
Banjo and kazooie
Bomberman
Pacman
Mrs.Pacman
Spyro
Crash Bandicoot
Duck hunt
Rob
Mr.GameAndWatch
Ice climbers
Marth
Pit

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's mine:
Starting
1. :ultgnw:
2. :ulticeclimbers:
3. :ultrob:
4. :ultlittlemac:
5. :ultduckhunt:
6. :ultbanjokazooie:
7. Virtual Boy
8. Urban Champion
------------------
Unlockable
9. Excitebiker (Excitebike)
10. Bub & Bob (Bubble Bobble)
11. Conker (Bad Fur Day)
12. Ramdozer (Blast Corps, yep a ordinary bulldozer)

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I agree with the others who said Nintendo wouldn't exist anymore in this hypothetical scenario. Video games could still exist, since this isn't about 1983, but if by 1999 Nintendo IPs aren't successful, then you won't have Super Smash Bros. Of course, Hal Laboratories is its own, I believe, so Sakurai could still make something.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I think that if we can't use the big stars we need to run with that.

That's the new story of the game. These are the losers and washedup has beens that are competing for a shot at their own new game from Nintendo, (or at the very least, a guest starring role in the new Mario game.) The game should have humorous endings and openings to support this.

So... Playable characters

Little Mac
Pit
Captain N
Mach Rider
Urban Champion
Ice Climbers
Mike Jones
Ayumi Tachibana
Stanley the Bugman (While technicaly part of the DK series, he was part of the DK series that existed BEFORE the games we think of as the DK series.
Ray from Custom Robo
We could also include ROB or just the Professor from Gyromite.

I think that's a fairly good lineup.

... and I'm still going sneak Mario into the opening movies, even if it's just a cameo.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
If they supposedly did make a fighting game despite these conditions, I wonder if we would’ve actually gotten Dragon King: the Fighting Game instead of a crossover.

D

Deleted member

Mach Rider
Katamaru
Marth
The Startropics guy
Banjo (who was a Nintendo license back then)
Duck Hunt Dog
Pit
Quest 64 Hero
Rash from Battletoads
Little Mac
Medusa from Kid Icarus
Glass Joe

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
64 Roster alt.png

1. Sheriff
2. Bubbles
3. Takamaru
4. Pit
5. Balloon Fighter
6. Banjo Kazooie
7. Duck Hunt Dog
8. Tamagon
9. Conker(although it'd be based on Pocket Tales since Bad Fur Day wasn't currently out)
10. Lip
11. Juno, Vela and Lupus(Jet Force Gemini)
12. Goose (Pilotwings 64)

Harder than I thought it'd be.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
So we basically have to figure out which series became massive successes in this timeline. Honestly the best idea I've seen for "hypothetical Smash 64 but thing" threads. Congratulations.

I'm guessing Super Kid Icarus was made in place of Super Metroid.

Punch-Out games became bigger and bigger. Punch-Out 64 was one of the best-selling launch games of all time.

Speaking of N64 launch titles, the N64 would never have been successful if it wasn't for the ambitious Ice Climber 64. This game set the industry standard for 3D games coming out in the next few decades, with its jaw-droppiong use of the vertical axis for exploring vast 3D mountains, and its innovative real time multiplayer exploration system.

Banjo-Kazooie, influenced by the success of Ice Climber 64, also developed its own multiplayer exploration system and came out in 1998 as a slightly different game as we know it, but to the same amount of critical acclaim.

And of course, you can't speak of Rare without speaking of the classic arcade game reimagined as a 2D platformer trilogy for the SNES, featuring state-of-the-art pre-rendered silicon graphics: Wild Gunman Country, released in 1994. After this, Nintendo made sure to buy Rare, officially making them and their series part of their first-party lineup of games.

After the critical and commercial failure of Star Fox and the FX chip in the SNES, Nintendo decided to take another jab at the 3D arcade dogfighting concept in more powerful hardware. Space Firebird 64 was a revival of their arcade classic, and with its exciting setpieces, fully voiced dialogue, cheesy but massively entertaining story and complex branching paths, it was destined for success from the start.

The N64 was a great system, but it wouldn't have the success it had with casual audiences if it wasn't for Balloon Fight Kart and Balloon Fight Party. Balloon Fight was becoming a worldwide phenomenon, and it would be hard to imagine a world where Balloon Fight games didn't release multiple times per year, but it's games like this that truly made them a part of pop culture. The fact that there wasn't a main-series Balloon Fight game for the entire N64 generation is still a mystery, but all these other games made a decent job to keep fans happy until their grand return on the Nintendo Gamecube.

You can't make a Nintendo system without a new version of the Robotic Operation Buddy, more commonly known as R.O.B. The N64 features R.O.B. III, and its complex artificial intelligence can learn to play just about every multiplayer N64 game out there. While you can use him as a partner for games like Ice Climber 64, Banjo-Kazooie or even Smash itself, there's no game that takes advantage of him as much as Gyromite 64.

Also they made another ****ing Mach Rider, my imagination is running out.

In this timeline, there's no doubt that the roster of fighters would be something like this:
-Popo (Ice Climber)
-Pit (Kid Icarus)
-Little Mac (Punch-Out!)
-Banjo (Banjo-Kazooie)
-Wild Gunman (Wild Gunman)
-Firebird (Space Fire Bird)
-Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
-R.O.B. III. (Nintendo)

And the four unlockable fighters, sharing some of the animations of the 8 originals to different extents:
-Nana (Ice Climber)
-Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
-Professor Hector. (Gyromite)
-Mach-Rider.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
1. Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie)
2. Pit (Kid Icarus)
3. Marth (Fire Emblem)
4. Little Mac (Punch Out)
5. Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
6. Popo/Nana (Ice Climber) (they'd be alternate skins)
7. Duck Hunt (Duck Hunt)
8. Jago (Killer Instinct)

Hidden

9. Excitebike (he'd get the Captain Falcon treatment with an entirely made up moveset that becomes a meme)
10. Takamaru (Takamaru)
11. Conker (Conker)
12. Devil (Devil World)

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I feel like Banjo wouldn't exist in this hypothetical scenario, since he debuted in Diddy Kong's Racing, since we assume that Wario doesn't exist in this scenario either. But if I had to pick one, it would be

ROB, Game + Watch, Little Mac, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt Dog, Mach Rider, Pit and Takamaru with secret characters being Megaman, Simon Belmont, Pac-Man and Bomberman.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Mike Jones
Mike Anderson (Battleclash 1 and 2)
Ice Hockey Player
Nester
Harry from Teleroboxer (Virtual Boy was a success in this timeline)
Balloon Fighter
Lolo (adventures of lolo)
Mr Wright (Sim city)
Little Mac
ROB
Mr You (Sky Skipper)
Bald Bull/Masked Wrestler (Punch Out/Arm Wrestling)

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
:ultgnw::ultmarth::ulthero::ulticeclimbers::ultbanjokazooie::ultpit::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultzelda:

Excitebike
Balloon Fighter
James Bond(because why not)

I have no idea what I just did, but I'd play it. Not Luminary, but probably Erdrick.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like Banjo wouldn't exist in this hypothetical scenario, since he debuted in Diddy Kong's Racing, since we assume that Wario doesn't exist in this scenario either. But if I had to pick one, it would be

ROB, Game + Watch, Little Mac, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt Dog, Mach Rider, Pit and Takamaru with secret characters being Megaman, Simon Belmont, Pac-Man and Bomberman.
I think Wario was pretty relevant and known by Smash 64's release. He was in several games before the first Smash Bros. made it's debut to the world. Half of those was from his own series.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
  1. Takamaru
  2. Banjo-Kazooie
  3. Pit
  4. Duck Hunt
  5. Marth
  6. Little Mac
  7. Erdrick
  8. Mach Rider
  9. Jago
  10. Ayumi
  11. Billy Lee
    ε Jimmy Lee
  12. Conker
A timeline where The Mysterious Murasame Castle is how we have Zelda, Mach Rider is viewed like how we view F-Zero, Rare characters are further defined as Nintendo characters, Famicom Detective Club is exposed to English speaking audiences alongside Fire Emblem, etc., would be very interesting. I could see Pit as being Nintendo's mascot, but like Crash was viewed as Sony's unofficial mascot, people would probably associate Banjo-Kazooie as Nintendo's face.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Starter:
Muddy Mole - Mole Mania
Little Mac - Punch Out!!
Excitebiker
Duck Hunt
Banjo-Kazooie
Dion - Marvelous
Sky Skipper/Mr. You - Sky Skipper
Dr. Wright - SimCity

Unlockable:
Jinbe - Mole Mania
Glass Joe - Punch-Out!!
Mike Jones - StarTropics
Sutte Hakkun

Stages:
Jinbe Land - Mole Mania
Boxing Ring - Punch-Out!!
Excitebike course
Duck Hunt
Spiral Mountain
I don't know anything about Marvelous so I'm not sure what to put here
an original "skies" stage based loosely off Sky Skipper
SimCity

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
  1. Takamaru
  2. Banjo-Kazooie
  3. Pit
  4. Duck Hunt
  5. Marth
  6. Little Mac
  7. Erdrick
  8. Mach Rider
  9. Jago
  10. Ayumi
  11. Billy Lee
    ε Jimmy Lee
  12. Conker
A timeline where The Mysterious Murasame Castle is how we have Zelda, Mach Rider is viewed like how we view F-Zero, Rare characters are further defined as Nintendo characters, Famicom Detective Club is exposed to English speaking audiences alongside Fire Emblem, etc., would be very interesting. I could see Pit as being Nintendo's mascot, but like Crash was viewed as Sony's unofficial mascot, people would probably associate Banjo-Kazooie as Nintendo's face.
This is probably my personal opinion, but I would have preferred Mach Rider, Ayumi, or Takamaru over the Ice Climbers as the NES rep in Melee. Mach Rider I believe almost made it since he was one of those 14 or 15 NES characters considered before the Ice Climbers were chosen and his music was left in the game.

Looking back at it now it seems very suspicious that Mach Rider got a track in Melee because all the music in the game except that track was all related to either the playable characters or the stages in someway. Basically you didn't hear any music outside of the franchises represented in the roster. Of course, that completely changed in Brawl, Smash 4, and Ultimate.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This is probably my personal opinion, but I would have preferred Mach Rider, Ayumi, or Takamaru over the Ice Climbers as the NES rep in Melee. Mach Rider I believe almost made it since he was one of those 14 or 15 NES characters considered before the Ice Climbers were chosen and his music was left in the game.

Looking back at it now it seems very suspicious that Mach Rider got a track in Melee because all the music in the game except that track was all related to either the playable characters or the stages in someway. Basically you didn't hear any music outside of the franchises represented in the roster. Of course, that completely changed in Brawl, Smash 4, and Ultimate.
There was also Balloon Fight music in Melee.

My roster:
1. Pit
2. Duck hunt Duo
3. Little Mac
4. ExciteBiker
5. Balloon Fighter
6. Lip
7. Marth
8. Muddy Mole

Unlockable
9. King Hippo
10. ROB
11. Captain N
12. Banjo-Kazooie

Stages:
1. Skyworld
2. Duck Hunt marsh
3. Boxing Ring
4. ExciteBike Arena
5. Balloon Fight Island
6. Popples floating Isles
7. Akaneia
8. Jinbe Land

Pupp135

Smash Lord
In this case, I’ll assume that this is from the ground up.

Starters:
:ultmarth::ultgnw::ultpit::ultlittlemac::ulticeclimbers::ultrob:Lip, Takamaru
Unlockable:
Seliph, Nana, Urban Champion,:ultbanjokazooie:
Fire Emblem and the Game & Watch series were the most relevant franchises at the time, so I’ll add Marth and Juggler. After this, characters from irrelevant franchises need to be added now. The ones that work best for this are Pit and Little Mac. After this, Gyromyte and Duck Hunt are the most influential retro games, but I feel that I’d be unable to make a Duck Hunt Dog moveset, so only R.O.B. joins. For the next one, I feel that I could add a character from Ice Climber over something like Excitebike or Balloon Fight, so Popo joins. For my last starters, I went with Lip and Takamaru as they are more interesting than Urban Champion.
While there isn’t a rule to add clones, I’ll still do it anyway because SSB64 had this. My three clone like characters would be Seliph, Nana, and Urban Champion, who are respectively based on Marth, Popo, and Little Mac. For my final character, I’ll go with Banjo-Kazooie, who would be decided later in development.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Banjo
Rash
Fulgore
Little Mac
Marth
Pit
Takamaru
Mike Jones

Excite Biker